Cash App Founder Bob Lee Fatally Stabbed

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
2019HIRDReport_SanFrancisco_FinalDraft-1.pdf (sfgov.org)

I would bet a more recent report would skew based on COVID and inflation.

Edit: Found the 2022 report

2022-PIT-Count-Report-San-Francisco-Updated-8.19.22.pdf (sfgov.org)

In my opinion eviction is not a reason of homelessness. You are evicted because you can't pay (because job loss, spend everything on drugs, etc...) and you don't find another place (because you can't pay) or you don't have a family/friend network (because divorce, mental health issues, drug abuse) to help you. Why you are evicted and why you can't find an alternative is/are the reasons why you are homeless not eviction per se that is one possible step towards homelessness

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In my opinion eviction is not a reason of homelessness. You are evicted because you can't pay (because job loss, spend everything on drugs, etc...) and you don't find another place (because you can't pay) or you don't have a family/friend network (because divorce, mental health issues, drug abuse) to help you. Why you are evicted and why you can't find an alternative is/are the reasons why you are homeless not eviction per se that is one possible step towards homelessness
That’s basically true. Without diminishing their plight it’s fair to say that those who end up priced out of the rental market are a very small % of the total numbers of homeless people at any one time. Severe mental health and/or drink/drug problems would be the most common cause by far.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
When did you live there? I was able to live with my two best college friends in a house on Potrero Hill for $500 each. An absolute steal for what we had. This was in 98 & 99 while the dot com bubble was expanding rapidly. Even as a wine salesman, I had an incredible two years of earnings due to that.

Tenderloin was actually navigable back then.
I lived there 6 years ago (6 months in Mountain View). Had a great time the first year, meh the second, and unbearable the last. The thing is, technology has been a double-edged sword for the city (I say this as someone in tech). It's brought so much wealth, yet those employed in it don't give a single shit about the city and couldn't give a shit about improving those around them. In addition, the homeowners are a bunch of assholes who are more concerned with appreciating the value of their properties rather than making concessions for affordable housing.

Not sure how it is now, but a 3-bedroom house in Potrero Hill would have been at least $1500/per person. Not sure about it now, but it was a trendy, up-and-coming neighborhood before I left.

Tenderloin is one large homeless shelter and drug den. The only normal people brave enough to regularly venture into the Tenderloin are the old Chinese ladies in push carts picking up cans.

Like the poster I responded to said, I heard SF is even more of a dump now. Only a handful of my friends still live there, and they would probably move if it weren't for work.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Like I said, it's highly politicised but I've read some interesting stuff about San Fran going to shite because of misguided left wing policies (" blending empathy-driven progressivism with California libertarianism " "progressive leaders here have been LARPing left-wing values instead of working to create a livable city") rather than the usual right wing conservative heartlessness.
Everyone should read that article, it's well-written and spot on from my experience.

Yes, the overall inequality gap, fentanyl, lack of housing, and ramifications of COVID are all major factors. But we also can't ignore some specifics from San Francisco like the intersection of the worst of progressive and libertarian policies.

It's not a healthy policy for homeless "advocates" to rush a person who needs medical care and convince the person that it's their "right" to not get the medical care they obviously need. It's not healthy for some neighborhoods to insist on keeping some janky community garden or flower farm in the middle of the city instead of letting more housing units get built. And it's not a healthy policy for the city DA to be so against prosecuting any sort of smaller crime that career thieves are let go on probation without some type of monitored situation to prevent them from re-offending.

@Raoul having lived in both cities, there are certainly similarities to Los Angeles but also some major differences. Los Angeles is much bigger, in both population and physical area. There are far more places for the homeless to find nooks and crannies along freeways, the LA River, washes, and the hills than there are in SF. There are also a lot more middle-class communities across the LA metro area so it's not as stark a gap between rich and poverty. And because of the much larger area and population, there is a lot more for homeless people to scavenge in LA which reduces the need for the type of rising theft you can see in SF proper.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Largely because the “pull yourself up by the bootstraps” mentality behind the so called American dream makes it very easy for politicians to ignore the plight of the homeless on the basis that it’s their own fault and helping them would be communist.
I know it's not that simple but California has a lot of failed progressive policies to blame as @Pogue Mahone said it gets political and it's a lot of stuff people here probably don't wanna hear as well.

It's the total opposite of the pull yourself up by the bootstraps stuff.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep. That' obviously a key factor too. Still doesn't explain why some specific towns are having a much worse experience than others.
I was surprised at how many homeless people there were even in Santa Barbara.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For a supposedly modern advance and one of the richest nation on earth the amount of homeless is hard to fathom. It's not even poverty some of them might hold a bachelor degree and still living in the street.

I dont think even my country which is considered 3rd world shithole by American standard offers a better living standard. If you're poor you can still afford a room here to the very least doing petty jobs.

Capitalism out of control. A governement that doesnt interfere at all towards the betterment of its inhabitans. A few affordable high rise apartment would have solved a lot of issue if not for the home owner's greed protecting their land value

RedRoach

Knew Bob personally. Amazing humble person who contributed so much to our industry. There are no words :(

Pickle85

Was in SF in January for a conference and I was blown away by the number of people obviously deep in the throes of mental health crises/addiction. Last time I'd visited was fifteen years previously and it seems WAY worse now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I lived there 6 years ago (6 months in Mountain View). Had a great time the first year, meh the second, and unbearable the last. The thing is, technology has been a double-edged sword for the city (I say this as someone in tech). It's brought so much wealth, yet those employed in it don't give a single shit about the city and couldn't give a shit about improving those around them. In addition, the homeowners are a bunch of assholes who are more concerned with appreciating the value of their properties rather than making concessions for affordable housing.

Not sure how it is now, but a 3-bedroom house in Potrero Hill would have been at least $1500/per person. Not sure about it now, but it was a trendy, up-and-coming neighborhood before I left.

Tenderloin is one large homeless shelter and drug den. The only normal people brave enough to regularly venture into the Tenderloin are the old Chinese ladies in push carts picking up cans.

Like the poster I responded to said, I heard SF is even more of a dump now. Only a handful of my friends still live there, and they would probably move if it weren't for work.
Potrero was just getting trendy when we lived there. The owner had initially grown pot under the house as Potrero Hill was all bedrock similar to Manhattan (it was the only location in the city in 1989 that didn't suffer severe damage in Loma Prieta quake). She had moved her operation up to Humbolt in the late 80s & prospered even more. She kept the rent at $1500 a month for her house for over 25 years because she wanted young people to enjoy being in SF without being 'house poor.' She was by far the best landlord I ever had.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
When did you live there? I was able to live with my two best college friends in a house on Potrero Hill for $500 each. An absolute steal for what we had. This was in 98 & 99 while the dot com bubble was expanding rapidly. Even as a wine salesman, I had an incredible two years of earnings due to that.

Tenderloin was actually navigable back then.
Wow! Pot Hill for that! I spend most of my time down that way and it's was probably 5x that in 2015-ish, in the nicer bits. Dogpatch was the new hipster area in the south. We lived mission-ish and it was ridiculously expensive for a tiny place. The first bubble there must have been a wild time, I guess I was there during the second one (the app-bubble?) and rent was going up double-digits every year.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wow! Pot Hill for that! I spend most of my time down that way and it's was probably 5x that in 2015-ish, in the nicer bits. Dogpatch was the new hipster area in the south. We lived mission-ish and it was ridiculously expensive for a tiny place. The first bubble there must have been a wild time, I guess I was there during the second one (the app-bubble?) and rent was going up double-digits every year.
Yeah, it was surreal. The story, the house, her quality of pot. Amazing time.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
To be fair, renters can get evicted when a property changes hands. The common example is someone renting a basement apartment or similar, such as the second floor or a room in a house.

The house sells and the new owner doesn't want to rent any of it out or they want to raise the rent. In these scenarios, people can end up being evicted and be priced out of the rental market through no fault of their own. It is especially common in areas where gentrification occurs which would certainly apply to SF.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
To be fair, renters can get evicted when a property changes hands. The common example is someone renting a basement apartment or similar, such as the second floor or a room in a house.

The house sells and the new owner doesn't want to rent any of it out or they want to raise the rent. In these scenarios, people can end up being evicted and be priced out of the rental market through no fault of their own. It is especially common in areas where gentrification occurs which would certainly apply to SF.
And that is why i said the inhability to find an alternative. I can get kicked out of my place but i will guarantee that i will find analternative even if i have no money. The inhability of find an alterbative due to lack of job, drugs, no safety network, etc... is in my opinion what brings you to homelesness. O get your point too but i dont think should be considered and also, doubt that 25% is for renter eviction. In my opinion is a lousy responds to not tackle the reality and not owning what brought you to this point. Probably is easier to blame the unfortunately event of an eviction that to blame the sad life situation that brought you to not have a solution. Is heartbreaking not feel yourself capable on top of loving in the streets

Dr. Dwayne

And that is why i said the inhability to find an alternative. I can get kicked out of my place but i will guarantee that i will find analternative even if i have no money. The inhability of find an alterbative due to lack of job, drugs, no safety network, etc... is in my opinion what brings you to homelesness. O get your point too but i dont think should be considered and also, doubt that 25% is for renter eviction. In my opinion is a lousy responds to not tackle the reality and not owning what brought you to this point. Probably is easier to blame the unfortunately event of an eviction that to blame the sad life situation that brought you to not have a solution. Is heartbreaking not feel yourself capable on top of loving in the streets
Rent has skyrocketed in recent years. A person who gets evicted could be facing substantially increased costs to find a similar alternative that they may not be able to afford because they'd been in one place for a long time, paying rent that is below market price, either through rent controls or a long term lease. This is typical for people who get evicted when the house they're renting an apartment in is sold.

If I had to move to an equivalent apartment I'd be facing a minimum of an $800 a month increase. That's 65% more than what I pay now. I could afford it but wouldn't like it and others in a similar situation might find themselves unable to cope.

So how would a person in that situation be to blame?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Rent has skyrocketed in recent years. A person who gets evicted could be facing substantially increased costs to find a similar alternative that they may not be able to afford because they'd been in one place for a long time, paying rent that is below market price, either through rent controls or a long term lease. This is typical for people who get evicted when the house they're renting an apartment in is sold.

If I had to move to an equivalent apartment I'd be facing a minimum of an $800 a month increase. That's 65% more than what I pay now. I could afford it but wouldn't like it and others in a similar situation might find themselves unable to cope.

But is what you say, the reason is not eviction, the reason is increase in rent. Eviction is the step that put you in the street

I think you misinterpreted me. Im not saying that someone that goes into homeless is anything to blame. I would never blame anyone with mental health, hardly blame someone with addiction, job loss, rental incrases and many more. Im not dicussing what to blaming them for. I think this statistics needs to help find solutions and for me, treating evictions, that is possible delaying them, etc is treating a symptom but not the causes and solving them. Rent increase is one cause, then you try to find a solution controlling rent increases, affordable housing etc... the same with the others. While evictio, IMO is a step, not a cause. You can delay step but you dont solve the root cause.Again is just my opinion

Dr. Dwayne

But is what you say, the reason is not eviction, the reason is increase in rent. Eviction is the step that put you in the street

I think you misinterpreted me. Im not saying that someone that goes into homeless is anything to blame. I would never blame anyone with mental health, hardly blame someone with addiction, job loss, rental incrases and many more. Im not dicussing what to blaming them for. I think this statistics needs to help find solutions and for me, treating evictions, that is possible delaying them, etc is treating a symptom but not the causes and solving them. Rent increase is one cause, then you try to find a solution controlling rent increases, affordable housing etc... the same with the others. While evictio, IMO is a step, not a cause. You can delay step but you dont solve the root cause.Again is just my opinion
Those types of evictions happen when areas gentrify and also when market conditons favour the landlord. It's not going to be all evictions, of course, but it adds a layer to the statistic that doesn't align to "owning what brought you to this point".

It might be difficult to point to one root cause for housing issues but wealth inequality and greed are two definite factors that are hard to solve for.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Those types of evictions happen when areas gentrify and also when market conditons favour the landlord. It's not going to be all evictions, of course, but it adds a layer to the statistic that doesn't align to "owning what brought you to this point".

It might be difficult to point to one root cause for housing issues but wealth inequality and greed are two definite factors that are hard to solve for.
Again, not about "owning" and "get your shit together" in my point. Is to identify causes and find a solution. In your particular case, regulate airbnb, regulate rent increases to a max, social housing and so on

There is no solution on eviction and therefore possoble homelessess if you dont find the root cause that is the increase in rent.

If you ask why you are homeless too the statistics, the answer shouldnt be "eviction" but "rent increase"

Not blaming the people that find the acurate data to find a solution

Dr. Dwayne

Again, not about "owning" and "get your shit together" in my point. Is to identify causes and find a solution. In your particular case, regulate airbnb, regulate rent increases to a max, social housing and so on

There is no solution on eviction and therefore possoble homelessess if you dont find the root cause that is the increase in rent.

If you ask why you are homeless too the statistics, the answer shouldnt be "eviction" but "rent increase"

Not blaming the people that find the acurate data to find a solution
I must have misinterpreted your earlier statements.

One problem is that governments tend to favour wealthy home-buyers, landlords and property developers over people who need affordable housing.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Where do you live? It sounds like a paradise where no violent crime ever happens.
It was more a comment towards the "it's a great city to live if you have money" line. Read the same a lot in the "best country to live in" thread.

No city full of hobos can be a great place to live, no matter how much money you have.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

No fault eviction is now a major cause of homelessness. Landlords are evicting long term residents to get far more rent for properties. The person evicted may now find it almost impossible to find a new place that they can afford and even if they could afford may not be accepted. Recently there was only 1 property for rent in Greater Sydney that someone on social payments could afford.

Suedesi

San Francisco currently spends over a $1B on homelessness and it's budgeting to spend close to $1.5B over the next three years

To put in perspective, the city spend close to $70k p.a. per shelter bed - so it ain't lack of funding that's causing the issue

The root cause is misdirected "compassion", waste, corruption, abuse, lack of accountability in how social programs are managed

I do not see that changing anytime soon

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well, well, well. Half of you in this thread want to retract some stuff now?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Funny how when this was a story about homeless violence in a crime ridden city this thread and the news were all over it. Rich white guy on rich white guy crime? Nah.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Funny how when this was a story about homeless violence in a crime ridden city this thread and the news were all over it. Rich white guy on rich white guy crime? Nah.
It's just as bad. A sick society will destroy the mental health of rich and poor alike.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's just as bad. A sick society will destroy the mental health of rich and poor alike.
This is the US, where every death is judged by the political capital it’s worth. Morally, we’re bankrupt, but our death portfolio is killing it.