Celtic Appoint Ronny Deila As New Manager

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Can't say I've ever heard of him...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Recently won the Norwegian league with Stromshsgodhdsetgodgod. That's about it.

Mad Winger

Brilliant signing by Celtic, but as a Strømsgodset supporter, this makes me really sad...

Background:
Played for Strømsgodset until 2008, when he retired as a player at the age of 32. He then took over as a manager, when Fagermo left the team. During these 6 years, Deila managed to turn a bottom half team of no-namers into a force to reckon with. He won the Norwegian Cup in 2010, finished 2nd in the league in 2012, and won the league in 2013. This was with minimal resources, while constantly losing his best players.

Personality:
Deila is pretty much the Norwegian Klopp. He's young, passionate, has a clear philosophy, expects a lot from his players, and knows how to squeeze out every last drop of talent. No manager in Norway for a really long time has been better than Deila at developing youth. He's constantly had to sell his best players, but he always manages to bounce back. He's not been able to sign any big names either, but that has not stopped him.

Deila's football is all about attack. He wants his defense line to stay high up the pitch, and nothing makes him more angry than when the other team manages to push his team back. He wants to dominate possession and create a shitload of chances. Sometimes his football is very pass-and-move, other times it's more quick and counter-attacking. It all depends on the game. As long as his team is the one setting the tempo and pushing the other team back, it doesn't matter.

Although he is a passionate down-to-earth guy, he's very calm and collected during interviews. He's also surprisingly polite and humble. They will often invite him to the football studios as an expert, because he's a very intelligent guy as well. Most football supporters in Norway seems to have a high opinion on him, even supporters from rival teams.

He generally likes to play 4-3-3, with offensive fullbacks.

What Celtic can expect:
Attacking football and focus on youth development. There will be no more parking the bus in Champions League under Deila. This is the man who tried to make his players constantly attack when Strømsgodset played Atletico Madrid in the Europa League a couple of years ago. He fears no opponent, and is not willing to sit back.

Seeing as Deila is the type of manager who wants every player to perform as well as possible, I think he'll put most of his focus on Europe. Seeing as Celtic already is pretty much guaranteed to win the league, it will be hard for him to motivate the players like he did when he managed an underdog team like Strømsgodset.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Deila has done amazing things on a small budget in Norway. I rate the job he's done at Strømsgodset much higher than what Ole did at Molde. Seems to have a bit of a Midas touch with young players.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Interesting appointment. Seems like an up-and-coming man. Tricky job, though. He'll want to take them a step further - which is potentially very hard for a team in Celtic's position. The league will be a walk-over, as per expectations, so he'll have to do more than just go through the motions.

Eirik Raude

He's said something along the lines of "I'd rather be relegated than play shit football". As said, his football philosophy is very clear. Strømsgodset under Deila has at times played the best attacking football in Norway, capable of dominating possession and also quick and lethal counter attacks. He lacks experience in Europe though, which could be a problem, but I'm confident he's capable of taking Celtic to the CL group stage.

Mad Winger

Ooh, and I forgot to add:

He's got a Mourinho-esque home record! In fact, his team recently got the record for most consecutive home league games without defeat(44 games). This is the same record as the legendary Rosenborg team of the 90s, which is the only Norwegian club in history who could hope to play European football and do a decent job. If Deila can avoid a loss in the next game, then Strømsgodset will break Rosenborg's record.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Exciting appointment and I love hearing what the Norwegian guys are saying about him. Success is all but guaranteed at this club but how you go about it is what matters to me. Hopefully he can get us playing good football.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Bollocks, I thought they might go down the inexperienced "Celtic man" line again.

Acole9

Outstanding
When I saw the headline I thought it was Delia Smith too.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
As someone who lives right next to the stadium, and met Ronny on several occations myself, I'd say this is a very sad day in Strømsgodsets history. He's been by far the best manager the club has seen in my days, made the club feel like they can do anything and is most of all a down to earth guy. He made the city embrace the club, been a great man-manager and have been developing the youth in an amazing way. He realised early on that Godset was never going to be a club that would keep their stars, and managed to keep developing players and turned the club into a profitable one, as well as a successfull one. I'd say Celtic would be a great job for him, as he's bound to have domestic success, which will mean that he's given time (hopefully). It'll also be a great way to make a name for himself for clubs watching in England, and hopefully he'll be great there. Shame Celtic didnt hire Solskjær when he was leaving Norway, as it seems like a very good job for any manager.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
According to today's Times, Moyes is holding out for a top job-whatever that means.
Yeah, I saw that too. Hard to tell what "top job" means in this context. If I were him I'd take a sabbatical - come back when the memories of his United tenure have faded a bit.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Yeah, I saw that too. Hard to tell what "top job" means in this context. If I were him I'd take a sabbatical - come back when the memories of his United tenure have faded a bit.
Yep. He has no financial imperative. Funny thing is that he said he's looking to be with a club that can get to the CL-which is a guarantee at Celtic. But, I suspect he fancies himself to be appropriate for a more high-profile league.
And-I'll be nice and not make some snarky comment about a top job and cleaning windows in tall buildings.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yep. He has no financial imperative. Funny thing is that he said he's looking to be with a club that can get to the CL-which is a guarantee at Celtic. But, I suspect he fancies himself to be appropriate for a more high-profile league.
And-I'll be nice and not make some snarky comment about a top job and cleaning windows in tall buildings.
Hehe, good man.

I'm looking forward to seeing old Moyesie back in the game - it'll be very interesting to see how he fares. To what extent has his United fiasco put its mark on him - and could it be that he has actually, in some ways, benefited from it? What doesn't kill makes you stronger and all that.

Varun

Staff
Sounds like an exciting manager. Wish he'd moved to a better league, would have been nice to follow his career in a more competitive league.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Dont get ahead of yourself, us Norwegians are not known for being too impressive on the managerial side of things over at the Isles

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Dont get ahead of yourself, us Norwegians are not known for being too impressive on the managerial side of things over at the Isles
True enough. Olsen was rather horrible at Wimbledon. Jury's still out on OGS, though. I have a feeling he could come back stronger - and in fairness he didn't have an easy task to begin with. I wish he'd gone elsewhere, though - that gig still has the poisoned chalice feel to it.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Some tosser this morning text me saying Celtic had appointed Delia Smith as manager.
Got on the computer and Googled it and saw the headline "Delia new Celtic manager"

Imagine my disappointment?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
True enough. Olsen was rather horrible at Wimbledon. Jury's still out on OGS, though. I have a feeling he could come back stronger - and in fairness he didn't have an easy task to begin with. I wish he'd gone elsewhere, though - that gig still has the poisoned chalice feel to it.
Solbakken didnt do too well either..

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Solbakken didnt do too well either..
Ouch. Yes. I'd forgotten about him. He did very well for Copenhagen in his first stint - then failed to impress. Got the boot at Cologne, didn't he? And now he's back in Denmark. Maybe the latter is the right fit for him. And in fairness Copenhagen was (still is, I suppose) a more prestigious job in many ways than Wolves (sad to say, given their grand history - but they ain't much to brag about these days).

Plugsy

Doubt it. I love Solskjær more than most, but Deila did himself a huge favour by taking the Celtic-job rather than a job in England.
I disagree, as I don't think winning in Celtic enhances a reputation one iota in England or anywhere else. We only have to look at Lennon who won 3 league titles and was rumoured to be interested in taking charge of newly relegated Norwich. I think what people wrongly assume is that managing Celtic (or as was Rangers) is a safe bet and a good way of enhancing your reputation but I think what happens is the opposite. O'Neill went to Celtic in 2000 at the time being spoken about as the next manager of many top clubs in England, even Fergie's successor. He won 7 major honours in 5 years up there and nobody in England gave a shit. In fact he returned with his reputation significantly lower than when he left and he was appointed manager of a side that finished just two places off the drop.

Or look at Walter Smith, won 21 major honours as manager of Rangers and in England he took over a side that avoided relegation by goal difference.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't think winning titles in Scotland does anyone any favours in terms of wanting to get a job in England or elsewhere. Holland, France, Portugal, etc, are much more likely to be step-ups to the big leagues.