Center Backs Situation

Siezard

Tonight is Maguire's big test. Will he scold headers off the corner?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’d like to think this manager and any who come after him will just pick whatever team they think is best. Surely? If there’s pressure from the board to play this player or that we are truly lost.
Well, it doesn't work like that. At least imo.
Price tag (and captain role in this case) have impact on manager's decision. When manager drops Bailly or Telles, you don't have any headline next day about it but when Ronaldo or Maguire are dropped, it is more about that in news than about game. Also, board will not sanction buying another defender while you have 80 mil defender in team. Except in City of course. :wenger:

So if new manager will want new defender, we must sell Harry. But who will buy him for decent price? Even for 40 mil?

Mylock

Yeah I like Torres.

But I really think a new CB should be a little way down the list with our shambolic CM, two old fogeys up front and a question mark at RB (should have bought Trippier instead of CR7, imo).
I'd agree midfield is the number one area that needs addressing. A new CH should be on the list but not the number one priority. I explained in a earlier post on how midfield and more specifically a DM is the first thing we need to address.

TSE123

I'd agree midfield is the number one area that needs addressing. A new CH should be on the list but not the number one priority. I explained in a earlier post on how midfield and more specifically a DM is the first thing we need to address.
You’re entirely right and all other discussions can pretty much be put on hold until the midfields defensive work is sorted.
(Today it worked pretty ok, Fred, mcT and fernandez were all playing safe, BUT it cost nearly all creativity going forward - because united won its easy to forget that they didnt hardly creat any clear chances all game - passing into last third was pretty poor. I dont mind it becuase i can enjoy the defensive, tactical, controlling safe game. BUT few managers and fans want to play that game.