g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Centre Back... Who do we go for?

berbasloth4

Alderwield as a first choice.. evans as a back up start moving out some of the dirt jones smalling lindelof and give kids a chance too?

andyjgt1

Supports
Man City
Alderwield as a first choice.. evans as a back up start moving out some of the dirt jones smalling lindelof and give kids a chance too?
Get rid of Lindelof anyway and promote Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah at least.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There's no potentially available CB that I truly rate. Alderwield? I'm not sure he'd be a massive upgrade to what we have. Then his latest injury is kinda put me off.

Varane? wth he would want to move to United, when he has Zidane as manager and has been winning stuff there. It's like asking Scholes/Giggs to move to Parma in the 90's.

I don't think even the "world class" Ramos would be a massively necessary upgrade.

But then, I didn't know that Rio and Vidic would become all time great centerbacks either, when we got them.

Maybe Maguire after the world-cup, to see how he copes in big stages. Granted that he'd cost twice after a successful WC, but it's worth it imho.

Last edited:

Red4Life_#7

Koulibaly, Alderweireld or Boateng (He said yesterday he wants a new challenge).

Lindelof needs more time, we only bought him last season, if he won't get the games with our new arrival then a loan to an EPL club.

JarkiJarko

Koulibaly, Alderweireld or Boateng (He said yesterday he wants a new challenge).
Boateng didn't say he wants a new challenge. He said he has to think about what he wants to achieve in the future and if he wants to prove himself at the same club under the same circumstances. In other words he wants more money :lol:

Red4Life_#7

Boateng didn't say he wants a new challenge. He said he has to think about what he wants to achieve in the future and if he wants to prove himself at the same club under the same circumstances. In other words he wants more money :lol:
LOL you could be right haha!

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Not a priority.

Have the lowest GA in the league and other positions which need immediate help. Getting a CB would be a luxury buy all things considered. Need CMs, fullbacks, and a RW all before that.

...I reckon we won’t be buying one unless we get the above. And even if we do, definitely won’t be expensive - under £40m, preferably closer to £30m. Someone like Toby would fit the bill but like I said not a need.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I only want Alderweireld, would instantly solve our buildup issues from the back.

Everyone will be trying for him though, can see both the Spanish clubs and City trying their luck.

iamkiranks

We could get Alderweireld for around 40m. Him or Koulibaly + New LB and we're sorted at the back for the next season. We shall sign a new RB in 2019 summer.

Bestietom

I will stick with the 2 who have Premier League experience Alderweireld or Maguire. Takes too long for a Foreign player to settle in.

Fer

There are good ootions such as Koulibaly, Alderweireld, Bonucci, Boateng... I just hope we don't end up with an average CB.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
interesting that we have bought a centre back each of the bast 2 summers, both costing 30 million and neither of them is getting in the team regularly, seems odd saying we should go out and buy another.

Wallez

interesting that we have bought a centre back each of the bast 2 summers, both costing 30 million and neither of them is getting in the team regularly, seems odd saying we should go out and buy another.
Agreed. Mourinho spent huge on Bailly and Lindelöf, so he must have imagined them becoming our center back pairing. Bailly has been our best defender since joining the club, while Lindelöf has shown great improvement after a shaky start.

BlueHaze

I have no idea how much either would cost but Koulibaly or Škriniar?

Imagine if we somehow ended up getting Umtiti :drool:

T A

Agreed. Mourinho spent huge on Bailly and Lindelöf, so he must have imagined them becoming our center back pairing. Bailly has been our best defender since joining the club, while Lindelöf has shown great improvement after a shaky start.
I used to expect the same but recently i wonder might I have been wrong somewhere. The fact is they have never been playing alongside each other as our central defender pairing since Lindelof's arrival, not even once, in all competitions, even in pre-season period.

So there is a possibility Jose bought him here actually to rotate with Bailly himself

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think its gone a bit under the radar but Baillys form has actually declined steadily since that first few really impressive months, of course, injuries have had a lot to do with that, but it's interesting that he is struggling to get a starting spot now when fit.

I just think when we have other areas of the pitch that need investment, and the manager has brought in 60 million pounds worth of center backs already who struggle to get a game, that maybe a centre back shouldn't be the area funds are allocated this summer.

Plus our defensive record is actually pretty incredible.

Suedesi

It seems that most agree with the need for a proper center back to partner Bailly in the future. With Lindelöf still being young and not quite ready yet, Smalling/Jones just not good enough and Rojo too inconsistent, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if United spend a decent amount to bring in a new center back in the summer.

Who do we go for?

Some candidates:
David Luiz
Sokratis Papastathopoulos
Kamil Glik
Kostas Manolas
Kalidou Koulibaly
Samuel Umtiti
Ezequiel Garay
José Giménez
Mateo Musacchio
Ömer Toprak
Stefan De Vrij
Jonathan Tah
Eric Dier
Daniele Rugani
Matthijs De Ligt
Lucas Hernández
Alessio Romagnoli
Harry Maguire
Milan Škriniar

I don’t watch that much football outside the Premier League, but from what I know, my personal preference would be Manolas or Koulibaly (if top tier players like Boateng aren’t available)

@Damien or any other modmin, a poll with some of the main candidates would be greatly appreciated.

David Luiz - NOPE
Sokratis Papastathopoulos - NOPE
Kamil Glik - NOPE

Kostas Manolas - Getting warmer
Kalidou Koulibaly - YES PLS
Samuel Umtiti - I would
Ezequiel Garay - NOPE
José Giménez - Sure
Mateo Musacchio - NOPE
Ömer Toprak - NOPE
Stefan De Vrij - INTER NOPE
Jonathan Tah - NOPE
Eric Dier - feck NO
Daniele Rugani - NIENTE
Matthijs De Ligt - TOO YOUNG, BUT HE'LL BE A PLAYER
Lucas Hernández - MAYBE
Alessio Romagnoli - NOPE

Harry Maguire - KINDA LIKE
Milan Škriniar - YES PLS

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think its gone a bit under the radar but Baillys form has actually declined steadily since that first few really impressive months, of course, injuries have had a lot to do with that, but it's interesting that he is struggling to get a starting spot now when fit.

I just think when we have other areas of the pitch that need investment, and the manager has brought in 60 million pounds worth of center backs already who struggle to get a game, that maybe a centre back shouldn't be the area funds are allocated this summer.

Plus our defensive record is actually pretty incredible.
Bailly is so good, his manager thought that playing him in FA cup Final was beneath him.

FerociousCorgis

With all the other important holes we have to fill and our supposed budget, can we really spend 40-50 million on an older CB? Or really should we? One would assume we still will have lindelof and bailly, plus more than likely smalling and jones will stay for yet another year. Add in we really should be bedding in tuanz and we have plenty of decent players at cb. Wise choice would be to spend the money addressing our shit fullbacks, the blackhole we have at RW, and getting another top notch CM for games we want to go 4-3-3. Shit I would add spending the big money on finding matic's replacement/rotation, as he looked like he was getting beat down with wear and tear this past year. If we can improve elsewhere on the field, it should have a trickle down effect to our CBs we already have. The better we can attack and breakdown opposition teams, the less time we will have to worry about defending in our own half.

Castia

Alderweireld

In a perfect world we'd have a settled defence and could sign De Ligt for the future but we need an instant impact and I feel De Ligt might need a year or 2 to settle in.

Charles Miller

Maybe i just got luck with the player but the times i watched Inter Milano Milan Škriniar looked a potential top cb.

jesperjaap

£30m last couple of years isnt really spending huge. Lindelof was such an under whelming signing for what we need, which isnt another average centre back. Bailly is a mystery, had a couple of bad games before his injury but without a doubt to me should be our first choice centre back, he is the only one good enough. We need a real quality signing. Toby of SPurs has the experience and has done well in the premiership, seem to be getting overly hyped though, which I understand as right profile, but the injuries are a worry and the price is very high even in todays market for a player we may get 3/4 injury laden years out of. I dont think any English centre backs are good enough, I would like to see a world class potential player around 21.....like Bailly, Nunez of Bilbao for me or a world class centre back inmid 20s like Koubillay. I think centre back is a priority regardless of our stats as we are so poor there both defensively and bringing the ball out which is so slow with Smalling and JOnes for example

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
£30m last couple of years isnt really spending huge. Lindelof was such an under whelming signing for what we need, which isnt another average centre back. Bailly is a mystery, had a couple of bad games before his injury but without a doubt to me should be our first choice centre back, he is the only one good enough. We need a real quality signing. Toby of SPurs has the experience and has done well in the premiership, seem to be getting overly hyped though, which I understand as right profile, but the injuries are a worry and the price is very high even in todays market for a player we may get 3/4 injury laden years out of. I dont think any English centre backs are good enough, I would like to see a world class potential player around 21.....like Bailly, Nunez of Bilbao for me or a world class centre back inmid 20s like Koubillay. I think centre back is a priority regardless of our stats as we are so poor there both defensively and bringing the ball out which is so slow with Smalling and JOnes for example
As my other team is Bilbao, Nunez is not ready yet, a long way off. He has struggled lately in a struggling side. Will be interesting to see how is he when Bilbao get a new manager, that is if he plays, they have Yeray and Martinez to fit in. Lindelof had a lot more experience when he came to us and I am not sure I would want Jose in charge of yet another young CB. We need a calm experience head in there. Also aren't Napoli wanting silly money for Koulibaly?

Sanche7

As my other team is Bilbao, Nunez is not ready yet, a long way off. He has struggled lately in a struggling side. Will be interesting to see how is he when Bilbao get a new manager, that is if he plays, they have Yeray and Martinez to fit in. Lindelof had a lot more experience when he came to us and I am not sure I would want Jose in charge of yet another young CB. We need a calm experience head in there. Also aren't Napoli wanting silly money for Koulibaly?
Apparently they want 105 million for him.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.da...04-7m-price-tag-centre-Kalidou-Koulibaly.html

jesperjaap

I watched a couple of Bilbao games earlier in the season and was very impressed with him, strong, mobile, hard in the tackle, decent on the ball and for 20 looks a great prospect to me. Maybe not seen often enough to make a full judgement but from what I saw he already looked better than most of our centre backs.
Yes rumours of Koulibaly do seem silly money, then again they do for Toby of Spurs too. Just going from them, £110m for a 26 year old you get 8 years out of maybe or £55m you get 4 years out of? I get what you are saying about Mourinho, young players and calm experience....thing is most of our centre backs are experienced internationals and most now have a lot of premiership experience bar Lindelof who just again seems average to me.
ALthough our stats defensively on paper looked good the last season, I found it very concerning how easily so many teams seemed to be able to move the ball from there defence through our midfield and close to our area without much trouble at all. With our current back line, quality teams are always going to create chances at some point. Are there any players apart from the obvious you woul dlike us to be in for as I am guessing you watch a lot of Spanish football?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I watched a couple of Bilbao games earlier in the season and was very impressed with him, strong, mobile, hard in the tackle, decent on the ball and for 20 looks a great prospect to me. Maybe not seen often enough to make a full judgement but from what I saw he already looked better than most of our centre backs.
Yes rumours of Koulibaly do seem silly money, then again they do for Toby of Spurs too. Just going from them, £110m for a 26 year old you get 8 years out of maybe or £55m you get 4 years out of? I get what you are saying about Mourinho, young players and calm experience....thing is most of our centre backs are experienced internationals and most now have a lot of premiership experience bar Lindelof who just again seems average to me.
ALthough our stats defensively on paper looked good the last season, I found it very concerning how easily so many teams seemed to be able to move the ball from there defence through our midfield and close to our area without much trouble at all. With our current back line, quality teams are always going to create chances at some point. Are there any players apart from the obvious you woul dlike us to be in for as I am guessing you watch a lot of Spanish football?
Nunez was paired with Laporte until January and definitely looked impressive. Then he had a change of partner to Inigo Martinez, so has had to get used to him. Then the last games the manager started playing three at the back, Him/ Martinez and Yeray, the last game Martinez was suspended so another change was made. They have also had disruption at fullback through injury. He is only young 21 in January, so would not be happy if he moved just yet. Bilbao have had trouble scoring goals, but their defence has been strong, this season it has been leaky. Could be why the manager is now the ex-manager.

I do like Spanish football, but am not going to pay yet another subscription to see it. I can watch highlights elsewhere, so will just do that and follow their games on their twitter account. It does an English translation which is quite baffling sometimes.

beingshe7don

We do not need a CB.... We should be spending money on 2 midfielders, RW and 2 full backs. Lindelof has gotten better and needs some time to settle in... although I feel that either of Jones or Smalling needs to move on. Tuanzebe needs to be given a chance in the team and we obviously have Rojo and Bailly.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think 60 million on two centre backs is a big out lay. I also don't think bringing the ball out quickly is priority for Mourinho, as he constantly plays the players whose strengh is more the defensive side of the game over those who are better at bringing the ball out.

look we are a very rich club but it isn't a bottom pit of money, we arn't likely to spend much over 150 mil net, and currently we have no players who seem very comfortable on the right wide of attack, we are desperately short of numbers in centre midfield and their are likely be departures their too(Carrick and Fellaini both on a free) and our two first choice full backs will be 33 when next season starts and is likly the current two reserve full backs (Shaw and Darmain) will leave.

And so conisdering we have got A lot of centre backs, have spent quite a bit of money on that position and have an excellent defensive record, spending 40 to 50 on a center back doesn't strike me a priority for this summer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
According to the (usually well informed regarding Dortmund and Schalke matters) Funke group, United has itensified their efforts to sign Sokratis, with Mourinho supposedly having called the player.

jesperjaap

I think 60 million on two centre backs is a big out lay. I also don't think bringing the ball out quickly is priority for Mourinho, as he constantly plays the players whose strengh is more the defensive side of the game over those who are better at bringing the ball out.

look we are a very rich club but it isn't a bottom pit of money, we arn't likely to spend much over 150 mil net, and currently we have no players who seem very comfortable on the right wide of attack, we are desperately short of numbers in centre midfield and their are likely be departures their too(Carrick and Fellaini both on a free) and our two first choice full backs will be 33 when next season starts and is likly the current two reserve full backs (Shaw and Darmain) will leave.

And so conisdering we have got A lot of centre backs, have spent quite a bit of money on that position and have an excellent defensive record, spending 40 to 50 on a center back doesn't strike me a priority for this summer.
Agree a lot of positions need addressing, which is shocking the money spent post Fergie and even last couple of years by Mourinho. I agree with a lot of what you say. I DO think (maybe more hope) we will spend over £150m net this summer though personally and I personally DO think centre back is as much of a priority as the other positions.....I really fear keeping all our centre backs which have been generally poor for a long time now, we have had one perdio of a few months with Smalling under Van Gaal and Rojo and Bailly under Mourinho

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Agree a lot of positions need addressing, which is shocking the money spent post Fergie and even last couple of years by Mourinho. I agree with a lot of what you say. I DO think (maybe more hope) we will spend over £150m net this summer though personally and I personally DO think centre back is as much of a priority as the other positions.....I really fear keeping all our centre backs which have been generally poor for a long time now, we have had one perdio of a few months with Smalling under Van Gaal and Rojo and Bailly under Mourinho
I do get your point on the center backs. I mean if you look at the last 4 years a lot of these players have had really good spells,
  • Smalling had a great 18 months but then his form went off a cliff when they brought in stricter laws on shirt holding and he has taken time to get back to performing well. An recently his performances have been solid if not spectacular.
  • Blind, despite all the crap he got, actually had a really good 9 months or so at centre back, and his partnership with Bailly at the start of last season looked like they had been playing together for years. Add to that no other player who can play centre back in our squad comes close to him in passing and on the ball skills. but there are big questions as to whether he is tall enough to play the role, especially for a manager so obsessed with height. And he is also prone to a lapse in concentration.
  • Bailly came in all guns blazing and looked like a great signing, but really since he first got injured 18 months ago he has never recaptured that form, he has been in and out of the team, and to be honest i'd say over the last 18 months his form has been in general below that of Jones and Smalling.
  • Jones i'd say un Mourinho has been the defender who has put in the most good performances, and his partnership with Rojo in the second half of last season was excellent, before that but as we saw in the FA cup final he is can at times be partial to a howler. Also his injury record in atrocious.
  • Rojo, 2 years ago I thought his days at the club were numbered, but last season his partnership with Jones changed alot of peoples opinions on him, and he had a really good season, but then he got an injury that has ended many careers and we havn't really seen him since. But we have given him a new 4 year contract which seems bizzare considering his injury and the fact really over the 4 years he has been here he has struggled for one reason or other for 3 and1/2 of them.
  • Lindelof, it's hard to no what to say about him, he has improved but still looks a million miles away from being a first choice centre back for a top 4 team.
So yes in an ideal world we would buy a left sided centre-back who could come in and make the position their own. but I just can't see how you do that this summer with all the other outlays we need. at least at centre back we have numbers and a large selection of players who have put in good performances. We don't have that in that in other areas so that has to be a priority. I know you like many others dream of us buying 6 players spending around 250mil or somthing, but honestly think that's a pipe dream. people went into last summer expecting the same and the one before that. and even then I think in this market it might be a struggle to bring in 6 players.
We have to be a bit realistic, because if that is your expectations this summer you are going to feel disappointed by the end of it.

So for me this summer spend the money we have on Area's we are physically short or players and look to upgrade centreback next summer.