Centre Back... Who do we go for?

AngryCroat

Move heaven and earth for De Ligt or Skriniar in the summer.
We need 1 experienced CB.. So IMO that would be just waste of money and it wouldn't guarantee they would do better than our current cbs.. Why not play Lindelof + one experienced cb who can read game.. IMO Godin would be by far best option

Devil may care

They'd be a huge upgrade on what we have. I'd prefer a longer term approach but with what we currently have, turning our noses up for these two is madness.
Why can't we have a longer term approach? Why do we need to rush into 2 past their best CB's only out for money? Godin is nearly 33 and has never played in this league which is a hard league to adapt to, and Alderweireld is mediocre in the air so we'd still be starting Smalling every week and if you've watched Spurs this season you'll have seen that he has lost a yard of pace and made as many errors as our CB's, it's just grass is greener stuff IMO, we need to think bigger picture, I don't even think Alderweireld is much of an upgrade in his current state.

AgentP

Ageism has nothing to do with it, Alderweireld is only touching 30, but both are past their best and would just be coming here for that big fat last payday, we've been done like this before.
Alderweireld definitely seems to have dropped a level. No idea how Godin is doing this season. I'd be happy if we got one of these two along with another young CB.

Devil may care

Alderweireld definitely seems to have dropped a level. No idea how Godin is doing this season. I'd be happy if we got one of these two along with another young CB.
He has, I honestly don't think many wanting him have watched Spurs much this season, he's been about the same as Lindelof has for us overall. Godin will be 33 in a month, I think it's a bad idea as the PL is a different animal to La Liga and that change at 33 will be tough, plus you have to question why he'd leave his home of nearly 10 years where he is Captain at a club doing better than us? The only reason is last legs payday.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Why can't we have a longer term approach? Why do we need to rush into 2 past their best CB's only out for money? Godin is nearly 33 and has never played in this league which is a hard league to adapt to, and Alderweireld is mediocre in the air so we'd still be starting Smalling every week and if you've watched Spurs this season you'll have seen that he has lost a yard of pace and made as many errors as our CB's, it's just grass is greener stuff IMO, we need to think bigger picture, I don't even think Alderweireld is much of an upgrade in his current state.
Not saying we can't have a long-term approach, i'd prefer it like most. It's about finding quality players who can come in and make a difference straight away. No offence but Godin has arguably been the best defender of his generation. No doubt in my mind he'd come in and own the PL. With Alderweireld i can't make the same judgement, only watched Spurs a few times this season so you may well be right on him.

Our defenders are not of good enough standard. For instance, you mentioned Lindelöf as arguably our best defender so far this season. That's sounds dangerous to me. He doesn't inspire any calmness, i'm afraid we'll concede anytime he comes up against someone. I don't rate him, the man can't defend. Backup at best. Is Bailly Jones incarnate? Or will he mature and cut out most of his erratic plays? Think it'd be a shame if we sold him. Smalling is fine, should be first CB on the team sheet of the CB's we currently have for me. Jones is Jones.. Rid of him and Rojo.

AgentP

He has, I honestly don't think many wanting him have watched Spurs much this season, he's been about the same as Lindelof has for us overall. Godin will be 33 in a month, I think it's a bad idea as the PL is a different animal to La Liga and that change at 33 will be tough, plus you have to question why he'd leave his home of nearly 10 years where he is Captain at a club doing better than us? The only reason is last legs payday.
True. Reminds me of Schweinsteiger. Koulibaly and De Ligt will both move at end of season imo. We should go for them instead.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need 1 experienced CB.. So IMO that would be just waste of money and it wouldn't guarantee they would do better than our current cbs.. Why not play Lindelof + one experienced cb who can read game.. IMO Godin would be by far best option
This is how I see it. We've got Smalling whose 29, Jones whose 26 and Rojo whose 28. Lindelof and Bailly are of course younger but they are hardly 18 year old either. Rio came to OT at Lindelof age and he absolutely owned defence. Thus if we really need an experienced CB then why the feck we're keeping these players in the first place? Let us sell most of these players, bring in an experienced CB and surround this experienced guy with the likes of De Ligt and Tuanzebe. At max we keep Lindelof around as he's not injury prone like the rest and might actually improve in the future.

I am not suggesting a clear out. However this 'we need an experienced CB' shouldn't apply at United. Whom should this experienced CB nanny and tutor? Jones? Rojo? Smalling? Young? Valencia?

Sjaakmeoff

De Ligt isn't captain of Ajax at 19 because he's such a nice guy. Experience for a single (or in this case double) position is overrated. The whole team needs to to balanced age wise.

Devil may care

Not saying we can't have a long-term approach, i'd prefer it like most. It's about finding quality players who can come in and make a difference straight away. No offence but Godin has arguably been the best defender of his generation. No doubt in my mind he'd come in and own the PL. With Alderweireld i can't make the same judgement, only watched Spurs a few times this season so you may well be right on him.

Our defenders are not of good enough standard. For instance, you mentioned Lindelöf as arguably our best defender so far this season. That's sounds dangerous to me. He doesn't inspire any calmness, i'm afraid we'll concede anytime he comes up against someone. I don't rate him, the man can't defend. Backup at best. Is Bailly Jones incarnate? Or will he mature and cut out most of his erratic plays? Think it'd be a shame if we sold him. Smalling is fine, should be first CB on the team sheet of the CB's we currently have for me. Jones is Jones.. Rid of him and Rojo.
As far as Godin goes I think he's been an excellent CB in his day, no doubt, and the Godin of 5 years ago or even 3 years ago I'd have taken, but 33 year old Godin who's lost a step, has no time for adaption and whose only motivation to come here would be to double his wages in the twilight of his career? Not for me.

I agree with everything in the second paragraph, I have advocated buying de Ligt and Koulibaly, bringing back Axel and selling Jones and Rojo, Bailly is 50/50 and I agree that Lindelof is not assured as there are too many flaws in his game, I just wouldn't go for ultra short term options looking for big wages to fix the problem because it'll barely paper over the cracks IMO.

True. Reminds me of Schweinsteiger. Koulibaly and De Ligt will both move at end of season imo. We should go for them instead.
Schweinsteiger is exactly who both options remind me of and yes, those would be the 2 I'd go for as well, no expense spared to sort the defense out properly

Member 115509

I think Godin would be an excellent short-term signing who could help stabilise the back four, but as the previous poster said, Koulibaly and De Ligt would probably be better long term buys.
Varane and Umtiti spring to mind also.

Devil may care

De Ligt isn't captain of Ajax at 19 because he's such a nice guy. Experience for a single (or in this case double) position is overrated. The whole team needs to to balanced age wise.
Experience doesn't mean leadership, I'd agree with that, for instance de Ligt has those leadership qualities at 19, Smalling is a decade older and has never had them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would honestly question how closely you have watched Smalling if you think Milenkovic is as fast as him, Smalling has his flaws but over 10-15 yards there aren't many faster CB's around, Milenkovic is playing in a much slower league and moves well enough for his size, but he's not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

I disagree, de Ligt displaces anyone in this team, I think Milenkovic is just a sideways move, another solid but nothing speical CB that could come in and out like the ones we already have, I mean you are talking about him as an upgrade Lindelof who has been arguably our best CB this season, so who would you pair Milenkovic with if he is the only CB we buy?

We have CB's that can defend, that's not the issue, it's the lack of organization that is the problem, it's like Varane, he's a good CB who looks better because he has Ramos leading him, the basic defending isn't where we lack, it's the CB that can tie the back 4 together and lead it, just adding in another CB with decent fundementals wont stop all of the dissogranization that leads to us conceding goals, we'd concede as many with Milenkovic or Militao or Manolas as we are coneding now.

If all you want is another CB with good defensive fundamentals then Axel is right there waiting to get a chance, and he wont cost us a penny. I'm tired of half measures, of "He'll do until we can get the best." buys. For the money we pay we should get the best or we should hold tight until we can as we have wasted a ridiculous amount of money on sideways buys rather than upgrades.
I suggest you re-watch the first 10 minutes of the FA cup final against Palace when Connor Wickham absolutely made Smalling look a fool for strength and pace. Wickham beat him for pure pace. Smalling isn't as quick as he used to be, and Wickham isn't considered a quick player. You're living in the past if you think he's still got the same pace.

I want a CB that isn't completely useless at winning aerial balls like Lindelof. The Swede is good on the ball but his defensive game is poor. I want a CB that is good on the ball and can defend to a high standard. I've had enough of seeing pussies play for us at the back. We need CBs that befit the stature of our club. Most of our CBs are poor in comparison to our rivals domestically and in Europe. Lindelof was never a Manchester United standard CB. I said that before he signed and still maintain that view.

Varane is a good CB because he's extremely talented. He's lightening fast and good with the ball. He doesn't need Ramos to be amongst the best CBs in Europe. He won a World Cup without Ramos too. You're doing Varane a great disservice. I would take Varane over Ramos in the EPL.

I rate Tuanzebe but he isn't the strongest aerially. We need a CB that is gonna give us a alternative option to Smalling aerially. Milenkovic plays in a league that has some of the fastest wingers in Europe and he's playing out of position at RB against players like Perisic, who is very quick, just ask Kyle Walker. The reason he's playing in that position is because he's more than got the speed to play in a position like that, which shows how talented he actually is. His aerial game is far superior to any CB we have bar Smalling. His ball playing ability is regarded as being very good by regular observers of Italian football. I've posted some of the links in the players thread, maybe you should do a bit of reading if you doubt my assesment of the player.

Devil may care

I suggest you re-watch the first 10 minutes of the FA cup final against Palace when Connor Wickham absolutely made Smalling look a fool for strength and pace. Wickham beat him for pure pace. Smalling isn't as quick as he used to be, and Wickham isn't considered a quick player. You're living in the past if you think he's still got the same pace.

I want a CB that isn't completely useless at winning aerial balls like Lindelof. The Swede is good on the ball but his defensive game is poor. I want a CB that is good on the ball and can defend to a high standard. I've had enough of seeing pussies play for us at the back. We need CBs that befit the stature of our club. Most of our CBs are poor in comparison to our rivals domestically and in Europe. Lindelof was never a Manchester United standard CB. I said that before he signed and still maintain that view.

Varane is a good CB because he's extremely talented. He's lightening fast and good with the ball. He doesn't need Ramos to be amongst the best CBs in Europe. He won a World Cup without Ramos too. You're doing Varane a great disservice. I would take Varane over Ramos in the EPL.

I rate Tuanzebe but he isn't the strongest aerially. We need a CB that is gonna give us a alternative option to Smalling aerially. Milenkovic plays in a league that has some of the fastest wingers in Europe and he's playing out of position at RB against players like Perisic, who is very quick, just ask Kyle Walker. The reason he's playing in that position is because he's more than got the speed to play in a position like that, which shows how talented he actually is. His aerial game is far superior to any CB we have bar Smalling. His ball playing ability is regarded as being very good by regular observers of Italian football. I've posted some of the links in the players thread, maybe you should do a bit of reading if you doubt my assesment of the player.
Everybody gets done now and again, no matter what, you get a bad start on your run and the guy is off, that's just how it goes, Smalling is super quick.

As for your assessment of Lindelof, I wouldn't completely disagree, he doesn't convince me that he's the long term answer to our CB question, however Milenkovic doesn't wholly convince me either, I don't think he's even as much of a standout as the 2 Dortmund CB's.

I never said Varane wasn't a good CB but Ramos is the boss at Real Madrid and has guided him through many big games for Real Madrid, even French fans have questioned his game intelligence. France were set up pretty defensively at the World Cup with essentially 4 CB's across the back and the LW was tucked in to create a 3rd man in midfield which helped the CB's a lot. If you are saying you'd take Varane now in the PL over 32 year old Ramos I'd agree, but not over prime Ramos.

I don't need to read about Milenkovic when I can just watch, I said he's not slow but he's not super quick either, he's playing as a defensive RB so he doesn't need recovery speed, I also don't think he's looked very good as an RB and most seem to agree. He is good aerially but I just don't think he'd change anything about the problems we face as we still wont have anyone who can organize the back 4, so until that is sorted I don't want to see £50M buys that don't address the key problem, especially ones that I don't think are any better than Axel.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Everybody gets done now and again, no matter what, you get a bad start on your run and the guy is off, that's just how it goes, Smalling is super quick.

As for your assessment of Lindelof, I wouldn't completely disagree, he doesn't convince me that he's the long term answer to our CB question, however Milenkovic doesn't wholly convince me either, I don't think he's even as much of a standout as the 2 Dortmund CB's.

I never said Varane wasn't a good CB but Ramos is the boss at Real Madrid and has guided him through many big games for Real Madrid, even French fans have questioned his game intelligence. France were set up pretty defensively at the World Cup with essentially 4 CB's across the back and the LW was tucked in to create a 3rd man in midfield which helped the CB's a lot. If you are saying you'd take Varane now in the PL over 32 year old Ramos I'd agree, but not over prime Ramos.

I don't need to read about Milenkovic when I can just watch, I said he's not slow but he's not super quick either, he's playing as a defensive RB so he doesn't need recovery speed, I also don't think he's looked very good as an RB and most seem to agree. He is good aerially but I just don't think he'd change anything about the problems we face as we still wont have anyone who can organize the back 4, so until that is sorted I don't want to see £50M buys that don't address the key problem, especially ones that I don't think are any better than Axel.
He got done more than once by Wickham, did you even watch the cup final?

Milenkovic would be a huge improvement aerially over all our CBs bar Smalling. Which is the point I'm making. So you saying that someone like Milenkovic would just come to make up the numbers is rubbish.

And which games of Milenkovic have you watched for Fiorentina? I've watched most of them so would be interested to see which games you've observed...

Devil may care

He got done more than once by Wickham, did you even watch the cup final?

Milenkovic would be a huge improvement aerially over all our CBs bar Smalling. Which is the point I'm making. So you saying that someone like Milenkovic would just come to make up the numbers is rubbish.

And which games of Milenkovic have you watched for Fiorentina? I've watched most of them so would be interested to see which games you've observed...
Yeah I watched it, it was nearly 3 years ago, sorry if I don't remember every moment that Wickham did well against Smalling in order to argue a point on the internet mate, we won the game, that's what I remember, not how many times Wickham might have gotten the better of Smalling to make some case for buying some kid from Italy that you seem somewhat obssessed with. Aaron Lennon used to get the better of Evra, that didn't make Evra a bad LB it's just now and then a player comes along who has your number, using that as the entire argument that Smalling isn't fast is just crazy.

Being dominant aerially isn't enough alone to be worth £50M or more to bring in, he's not some huge improvement overall is the point and the main thing if you watched us tonight is yet again no brain back there, Newcastle didn't hurt us with aerial balls, they got at us because it's the blind leading the blind, Milenkovic isn't gonna solve that, so yes he would be coming in to make up the numbers as he's got a lot to learn and as others have found out, you don't walk into the PL and be boss big shot right out the gate, this idea he's gonna come in and just be this starting colossus right off the bat is way over the top fanboying. He's not the answer to our defensive issues because he doesn't address the main one, the fact he might win a few more headers isn't gonna be worth shit when we are still at 6's and 7's because there's no one back there to command the line, there's only a few teams that utilize hoofball tactics that require this heading machine, most teams attack on the ground and to cope with that we need to get the defensive line organized.

I watch highlight packages of his games since he got linked with us as I don't have Eleven Sports or whatever the streaming service is called, and frankly even if I did I am not gonna spend 90 minutes every weekend watching a mediocre team like Fiorentina because they have a CB we are linked to by some papers.

Look Adnan, I like you and I'm not looking for some argument over a CB, you seem to be attached to him like he's family and if that is the case then no offense, it's not personal, I even put him as my 4th choice if we have to buy a CB and can't get the best ones, but I do think that bringing him will make very little difference and we'll be in this same thread next year at the same time asking about how to fix the back line, as he's not the answer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah I watched it, it was nearly 3 years ago, sorry if I don't remember every moment that Wickham did well against Smalling in order to argue a point on the internet mate, we won the game, that's what I remember, not how many times Wickham might have gotten the better of Smalling to make some case for buying some kid from Italy that you seem somewhat obssessed with. Aaron Lennon used to get the better of Evra, that didn't make Evra a bad LB it's just now and then a player comes along who has your number, using that as the entire argument that Smalling isn't fast is just crazy.

Being dominant aerially isn't enough alone to be worth £50M or more to bring in, he's not some huge improvement overall is the point and the main thing if you watched us tonight is yet again no brain back there, Newcastle didn't hurt us with aerial balls, they got at us because it's the blind leading the blind, Milenkovic isn't gonna solve that, so yes he would be coming in to make up the numbers as he's got a lot to learn and as others have found out, you don't walk into the PL and be boss big shot right out the gate, this idea he's gonna come in and just be this starting colossus right off the bat is way over the top fanboying. He's not the answer to our defensive issues because he doesn't address the main one, the fact he might win a few more headers isn't gonna be worth shit when we are still at 6's and 7's because there's no one back there to command the line, there's only a few teams that utilize hoofball tactics that require this heading machine, most teams attack on the ground and to cope with that we need to get the defensive line organized.

I watch highlight packages of his games since he got linked with us as I don't have Eleven Sports or whatever the streaming service is called, and frankly even if I did I am not gonna spend 90 minutes every weekend watching a mediocre team like Fiorentina because they have a CB we are linked to by some papers.

Look Adnan, I like you and I'm not looking for some argument over a CB, you seem to be attached to him like he's family and if that is the case then no offense, it's not personal, I even put him as my 4th choice if we have to buy a CB and can't get the best ones, but I do think that bringing him will make very little difference and we'll be in this same thread next year at the same time asking about how to fix the back line, as he's not the answer.
I don't want to argue either so we'll just agree to disagree.

I would like De Ligt just as much as any other CB out there. I really like the young CB at Toulouse too, who looks a top prospect. And Milenkovic isn't a family member of mine..:lol:

Devil may care

I don't want to argue either so we'll just agree to disagree.

I would like De Ligt just as much as any other CB out there. I really like the young CB at Toulouse too, who looks a top prospect. And Milenkovic isn't a family member of mine..:lol:
Fair enough mate, I'll say this, if we cleaned out Jones, Baily and Rojo and bought 2, if Milenkovic was one of the two with de Ligt or Koulibaly then I'd be fine with that as one thing I will say is that Milenkovic doesn't have the brainfart factor the other 3 we have do, Lindelof can be criticised for some things but he is composed and reads danger well, he was hung out to dry tonight back there, Circus show.

Lol! :D I was only half joking, you are just so passionate about us buying him that I didn't want to be taking shots that were maybe seen as personal. I'm not familiar with the Toulouse CB, who is he? Dortmund have a couple of decent CB's right now as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair enough mate, I'll say this, if we cleaned out Jones, Baily and Rojo and bought 2, if Milenkovic was one of the two with de Ligt or Koulibaly then I'd be fine with that as one thing I will say is that Milenkovic doesn't have the brainfart factor the other 3 we have do, Lindelof can be criticised for some things but he is composed and reads danger well, he was hung out to dry tonight back there, Circus show.

Lol! :D I was only half joking, you are just so passionate about us buying him that I didn't want to be taking shots that were maybe seen as personal. I'm not familiar with the Toulouse CB, who is he? Dortmund have a couple of decent CB's right now as well.
I've been watching this lad for the alittle while and he looks a top prospect. He just turned 19 afew days ago and isn't someone that could be relied upon immediately. But someone could pick him up for a reasonable fee due to him being at Toulouse. I could see Dortmund picking him up and selling him on in a few years for a very high fee.

Infra-red

Someone aerially dominant would be a huge upgrade. We only have Smalling who is strong in that department.
Agreed. Would seem to rule out Skriniar, and a few other oft-mentioned names (eg Alderweireld). They are no better in the air than Lindelof/Bailly.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Toby. 25 million is a steal for him.

Devil may care

I've been watching this lad for the alittle while and he looks a top prospect. He just turned 19 afew days ago and isn't someone that could be relied upon immediately. But someone could pick him up for a reasonable fee due to him being at Toulouse. I could see Dortmund picking him up and selling him on in a few years for a very high fee.
Looks very smooth on the ball, quick and athletic, the sort of player that would be ideal to buy and loan back to his current club, but we never do that.

sam147

You have to question why Bayern are willing to sell.
One legged Hummels is better than Jones and Smalling. The fact is Smalling is great physically but not good on the ball. Gone are the days of one good on the ball CB and one brute. Both need to be good on the ball. Hopefully he is done. Jones is decent on the ball but his injury record should rule out a contract hopefully. Rojo isn't good enough. If we are serious we should be looking at signing two CBs.

Nirv

My vote goes for Godin if we are going for 1 CB, to partner Lindelof. What we need now is someone who can command the backline with a calm head, and help guide our current crop. As someone else mentioned, currently we look like blind leading the blind, a hot prospect likelihood of solving that problem is relatively low to be honest.

I’m all for the De Ligt, Milenkovic, Todibo etc. if we are moving out some of our squad CBs in the process. Otherwise we are just flooding the position with potentials and players who are unable to grab the 1st team spot on a consistent basis.

Edit: Forgot to mention, while I support Godin, I do have some reservations. Not about his age, but Simone seems to play a low block, similar to JM. (I might be wrong) With our high line now, not sure if Godin is suitable. Other than that, I believe is the best bet for the next couple of seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

TehRed

Godin and Alderweireld for £25m in the summer would be incredible business. Realistically, we'll probably get neither/
That's the most cost-effective "ready made fix" option out there, for sure. Godin is vastly experienced and a commanding centre back who can organise and lead. Toby is also exoerienced and a decent passer for when it comes to building from the back.

On the expensive end of the "ready made fix" options we have Koulibaly, who is a good age at 27 and an absolute tank with slightly under-rated passing ability. But he'll cost a fortune and Napoli have already rebuffed big money for him.

I see we're now linked with Kostas Manolas (again) and he would be a pretty solid option for a fairly reasonable price, and he's got good pace about him for a centre back too which is always handy. Him and Bailly together would be a good combo against a pacy attack.

Then we have the likes of Skriniar and De Ligt, who are both very young still, and both would command a huge fee too. Have to pay for potential and longevity these days, but there's always risk attached.

We're in a tricky spot right now, you have to bear in mind that we might want to build a first choice partnership that complements each other, and what kinds of players do we want? Or do we just want to buy players who are deemed an upgrade over what we currenty have, with their respective styles and strengths not mattering as much as long as they are "better" players? Add in the fact that we don't know if it'll be Ole or someone else at the helm after the season, and I think there's a chance we may go for the "ready made fix" options rather than trying to buy a player or two who can form a partnership based on their qualities and a style of play.

AgentP

Kostas Manolas has a release clause of 34m. That's quite cheap in today's market. Should we go for him? I have never actually watched him play. But I have him on FUT and in the game, he is pacy and can pass well :D. It all depends on what the club's immediate priorities are. If we are desperate to get top 4 this season itself, then we should get him. Else, we should go big for De Ligt or Koulibaly in the summer.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What's the point of buying CBs who are not much better than what we currently have? Just to buy for the sake of it?

Either we buy a great defender or we leave it until the summer. No need to add more mediocre players

settembrini

Jones and Rojo have to be cut from the squad. That leaves us with Smalling, Lindelof and Bailly. All of whom prefer playing as the right sided CB. We need either a naturally left sided CB or someone like Maguire/Koulibaly who is experienced and comfortable in that role. Both are attainable provided we pay the money, which we should. Going for another 'budget' option like Alderweireld/Godin would be silly. The former is already looking past his prime and is another 'right side only' centre back, Godin turns 33 next month and wouldn't suit an attacking team anyway.

LuckyScout78

Be sure that you are sending your top talents to the a top domination team in every leagues. Just like you are sending your kids, to the best schools. Imagine Jadon Sancho joining a middle table team in Bundesliga, a not dominating team in the league. Or average. Loose a lot, your confidence get lower, you get use to loose. Instead to get use to dominate matches really often like Dortmund. Its make life a lot easier, then opposite get depress after loosing. To be best, you get to learn from the best, even the best in championship, league 1, or Belgium top league. It mean as a club you get to do a research of the club you are sending your talents too. He get to enjoy his time there when try to develop and meet and play against men. But the feeling and winning mentality has to be there. A top talent alone will not help as much to lift a middle table team in championship leauge.

Some time, you will play for a dominating top team in the country and league. Get use to it and get in early as you can. Will make it easier for you when that time is coming. The class of 92 were so lucky to have teammates youngster like, not only one or 2. But it were 6-7 or even more. Their lift and help each others. They push each others. Opposite if you go on loan to a team like Aston Villa. 10 th in the league and have concede 40 goals already in the season. It will not help you as much if you are training with United first team right now. Unlucky for United, United Reserve got relegated last season. It mean the level of United reserve is really poor too. Only the United u18 are on top level of their age.
So again, if not a top dominate team in championship. Better a top dominating team in league one, than a middle table team in championship league. Life and football is not enjoyable if your team you are playing have conceded 40 goals. Even top and proven players like Kawaga, Falcao, Di Maria were struggling, and looking a lot worse. Because they werent play for a not dominate United team back then. They all joined United at the wrong time, while the ship was sinking. They alone couldnt lift the sinking United ship. It will be the same affect if a top talent joining a middle table team. Im not sure it will develop them as a player. One thing is sure. Life and football will not be easy if your team keep loosing and concede a lot. Even you do have high winning mentality, alone it will not help so much.

The class of 92 were meant to have success, born to have success. At this time with United, only few top talents here and there. It get to be the one of the best team in the league you are sending you top talents too. Im not sure Axel Tuanzebe will get benefit of this loan period with Aston Villa. Maybe Tuanzebe was on the wrong time with a wrong United manager Mourinho. When Mourinho said you dont need long time to see the talent of Tuanzebe first time he coacing him. Then he go on and buy 2 centerbacks. Dont want to give Tuanzebe first time football and crying over that United should buya 3 CBs. Under LVG Tuanzebe might get more playing time with first team. Worst of all. When you have a talent like Tuanzebe, a natural CB. Then you go on and use McTom in two games as CB. It just show that is was something wrong with the whole club under Mourinho time.

And with Mourinho. Im not sure Ole want a new CB in January. Ole answered we have 2 centerback against Newcastle. Its enough, isnt it?Who you have as manager count a lot for you development. Like Kevin De Bruyne. With a manager that think you were to young and not ready, compare to a manager that believe in you. It will be big different. For me, from what i have observed. Tuanzebe was ready and good enough to train with the first team regular when Mourinho took over. He just didnt trust in young cb. It just showed that Mourinho bought 1,2 and want a 3 rd.
And right now for like i have said earlier. Im satisfy with United current CB options, when the chance in the league is only battle for top 4. Because you get to be sure it get to be a top level of CB or close to taht like Van Dijk, to battle for premier league title. Not another top 4 cb level.
And if the top 4 is out of reach many matches before the season is over. Its it not benefit to call Tuanzebe back adn play him alongside with Lindelof, Jones or Smalling?To see how he will looks like on the premier leauge level?But again, if Tuanzebe doesnt develop to a really good CB. Its not only to tim. But he was at the wrong time. Got chances under LVG, but 2 1/2 years under Mourinho. Definitive the boy was at the wrong time, plus the reserve got relegated. Clearly signs that you were at wrong time at the club.

Now under Ole. "You are old enough if you are good enough", even when you are only 17/18. I like that. United future managers shall always be like that. You dont need to be proven, if the manager believe that you have that level to cope with the premier league. You will be ready. Tuanzebe was a huge talent as a cb 2-3 years back in time. But im afraid. If you are that kind of talent and peoples belong to at the wrong time and wrong place. It will not help you as much.

In the end, research and look back what Mourinho said and how he rate Tuanzebe, first time he saw him in training and first time he coach him. I was excited and thought that Tuanzebe was ready to train with the first team regular. But then he tried to buy 3 cbs after that rating of talent, is just amazing and unbelievable. You get to said like you mean. It just show you dont trust the youth as manager. Not that the boy wasnt good enough. It was about the manager. Believed in them, motivate them and give them confidence. Then they will lift their level. Tuanzebe on his best back then was on or close to the level of Rashford as a forward, but rock solid as a CB.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Is there a Kostas Manolas thread?
Usually the mods prefer new threads as opposed to mega threads, given the links with him are new I'd start a new thread if you want to talk specifically about him.

My vote goes for Godin if we are going for 1 CB, to partner Lindelof. What we need now is someone who can command the backline with a calm head, and help guide our current crop. As someone else mentioned, currently we look like blind leading the blind, a hot prospect likelihood of solving that problem is relatively low to be honest.

I’m all for the De Ligt, Milenkovic, Todibo etc. if we are moving out some of our squad CBs in the process. Otherwise we are just flooding the position with potentials and players who are unable to grab the 1st team spot on a consistent basis.

Edit: Forgot to mention, while I support Godin, I do have some reservations. Not about his age, but Simone seems to play a low block, similar to JM. (I might be wrong) With our high line now, not sure if Godin is suitable. Other than that, I believe is the best bet for the next couple of seasons.
I think de Ligt would grab the first team straight away, the lad is a leader, a special talent, with Godin the way we play now would make it even more difficult for him to adapt to the PL at 33 as our high line would expose him, he'd have been fine if Mourinho was still here though.

Kostas Manolas has a release clause of 34m. That's quite cheap in today's market. Should we go for him? I have never actually watched him play. But I have him on FUT and in the game, he is pacy and can pass well :D. It all depends on what the club's immediate priorities are. If we are desperate to get top 4 this season itself, then we should get him. Else, we should go big for De Ligt or Koulibaly in the summer.
Manolas is like a better in the air version of Bailly and Rojo, decent CB but prone to rash tackling and a bit of red mist. Quite vocal so could offer some organization, but that'll only count if he can speak English in our side.

Macedonian Red

We can go for Alderwireld in the summer but we must strength our defence this month. I dont know is any of those are available but we must try to sign one of Skriniar, Koulibaly or De Light.

I dont like Manolas, he is overated, i hope rumours are not true.

Rauður Djöfull

I reckon we have to sell before we add and we should be looking to get rid of Darmian, Rojo and Jones at least, I don't really care if we sell them for penuts, we can afford it and it might be lesson in overpaying average players. They are on such wages that we can't sell them to clubs at their level since they can't afford to pay them so much, also they ain't playing and when they do they ain't playing well, we can't be pushing for to much. Wether Ole remains or not, or if we get a DoF or not in time it is essential we start making the right moves.

Not going for a propper defender this month and going all in for trying to reach top 4 and final of CL would be dumb in my opinion, one in january and one in the summer would be ideal. Especially since they changed the rules so we can buy a player whose already played in CL and still use him there.
A lot of mentions of the usual suspects here, I know a lot of "fancy" names due to fifa and lurking the caf but I haven't seen them all in action, I have seen De Ligt a few times due to him being mentioned as the next generation defender and I have seen Koulibaly in the CL. Pavard is another I like a lot and have seen enough of to have an opinion. The muppet within dreams of those three, but that ain't gonna happen.

Going all out in muppetry,
I would love to see our whole defence next season something like this Shaw, Tierny, Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Smalling, Baily, De Ligt, Pavard (or Koulibaly).

So at least Jones, TFM, Rojo, Valencia, Darmian, Young out for me
and get Tierny, Wan-Bissaka, De Ligt and either Koulibaly/Pavard.

Yes I realize it's unlikely but one can dream and we do have both january and summer for it, and yes it would cost some money but see what City did first two summers with Guardiola, football is gone mad and it's expensive. But what do I know, I am probably just in a FM state of mind.

Reactions: Invictus