Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Dunc and Duffy have looked excellent this year for Brighton. When was the last time we bought a quality centre half from another side in the PL?
Our success was built on buying the best up and coming players who were already established in the PL.
Dunk would not be that.

Pass and Move

Dunc and Duffy have looked excellent this year for Brighton. When was the last time we bought a quality centre half from another side in the PL?
Our success was built on buying the best up and coming players who were already established in the PL.
Probably Rio, which turned out well.
My point is not that Dunk is in his league, but I think the prices being quoted for anyone who is approaching that level are too high and could be better spent elsewhere. I think Dunk’s physical presence alongside Lindelöf would be a decent partnership until we uncover the next up and coming gem.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Probably Rio, which turned out well.
My point is not that Dunk is in his league, but I think the prices being quoted for anyone who is approaching that level are too high and could be better spent elsewhere. I think Dunk’s physical presence alongside Lindelöf would be a decent partnership until we uncover the next up and coming gem.
We would be better off giving Jones a contract extension. Dunk would not be an improvement on any of our CBs including some we have on loan. He is probably not as good as Lascelles, Tarkowski, Keane, etc who are also far from good enough.

Pass and Move

We would be better off giving Jones a contract extension. Dunk would not be an improvement on any of our CBs including some we have on loan. He is probably not as good as Lascelles, Tarkowski, Keane, etc who are also far from good enough.
I think he’s at least as good as them, but crucially has the physical presence we lack right now, specifically height. We were out jumped consistently against Spurs.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think he’s at least as good as them, but crucially has the physical presence we lack right now, specifically height. We were out jumped consistently against Spurs.
We have Smalling who provides us a physical presence. And Smalling is a lot quicker and more agile than someone like Dunk. And Jones aerial stats tend to be decent. But, overall we should be looking at the defenders who can be good in the air but, also great on the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Smalling has same aerial duel % and also wins more headers per game. Don't think we should be adding anyone just because they are good at heading the ball.

Eric's Seagull

Although this has prove successful for us previously, as you don't have to be concerned about the time it may take for someone to adjust league. This is becoming increasingly harder to do as there is now so much money in the game that Premiership teams can afford not to sell to rivals unless they make a ludicrous offer. So we can't go and cherry pick rivals best players anymore.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Although this has prove successful for us previously, as you don't have to be concerned about the time it may take for someone to adjust league. This is becoming increasingly harder to do as there is now so much money in the game that Premiership teams can afford not to sell to rivals unless they make a ludicrous offer. So we can't go and cherry pick rivals best players anymore.
But, sadly Liverpool current side are proof you can still find good signings from mid to lower table sides in the league. Since the likes of Robertson, Van Dijk, Mane, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri were all signed from PL sides.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That graph doesn't seem very accurate, and if it is then not very effective.

Looking at that Graph Ramos would be the worst passer of them all, but that's clearly not true.
I'd be up for Lewis Dunc joining us. He's the right age, English, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the names being bandied about. His height would have been appreciated against Spurs.
Hidden by a defensive formation. Just like Keane was at Burnley.

Dunk has looked nothing but average when playing for England IMO.

Eric's Seagull

But, sadly Liverpool current side are proof you can still find good signings from mid to lower table sides in the league. Since the likes of Robertson, Van Dijk, Mane, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri were all signed from PL sides.
It pains me to see them doing this but fair play to them for being able to do this. If we could get in Premiership proven players of quality of some of the above I would be happy as I personally wanted Mane and Shaqiri before they signed them. I am all up for weakening our rivals while strengthening ourselves the same time.

Pass and Move

That graph doesn't seem very accurate, and if it is then not very effective.

Looking at that Graph Ramos would be the worst passer of them all, but that's clearly not true.

Hidden by a defensive formation. Just like Keane was at Burnley.

Dunk has looked nothing but average when playing for England IMO.
In his one appearance?

Eric's Seagull

I think the prices being quoted for anyone who is approaching that level are too high and could be better spent elsewhere.
I think you are right. When trying to buy from another Premiership club they are going to charge a premium plus I think they will add a bit more on because it is us but it is something we are going to have to get used to.

Pay silly money for Premiership proven players or move on to the next target sadly.

Suv666

Kouilabaly looks increasing unlikely to happen. Hope the big fishes arent in for him this summer, we might have a bidding war on our hands. A Keita like deal with him joining us in the summer would have been excellent.

Adcuth

It pains me to see them doing this but fair play to them for being able to do this. If we could get in Premiership proven players of quality of some of the above I would be happy as I personally wanted Mane and Shaqiri before they signed them. I am all up for weakening our rivals while strengthening ourselves the same time.
Which players outside the top 6 would you put on their level? Zaha, Neves, Anderson come to mind

ArjenIsM3

Zaha, Neves and Ndidi for sure. They're all players who would improve us as well. Wouldn't mind if we would be in for any of them but I think they would all cost a lot of money considering their clubs aren't in any trouble. Also, I don't think Zaha would want to come back. Not so sure about Anderson.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Hopefully we use that 100m Jan transfer kitty on Manolas (36m) + Militao (68m).

Them two & Smalling should settle all our needs till the summer.

Kostov

Can any regular follower of the Italian league brief us of Romagnoli? I know captaining this Milan side is no big feet, but I like what I've seen of him in the few rare occasions. Is he a good enough option to solve our CB problem?

Bestietom

If we were to bring In one CB this window that we could realistically get now, then I would go for Manolas. He could certainly help make our defence much stronger for the second half of the season, and for a fee of 32 million.

We could still go for Koulibaly in the summer when we shift more out.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If we were to bring In one CB this window that we could realistically get now, then I would go for Manolas. He could certainly help make our defence much stronger for the second half of the season, and for a fee of 32 million.

We could still go for Koulibaly in the summer when we shift more out.
It's not Football Manager.

We need to shift a couple of CB's before we can even consider buying one, plus Axel should be introduced into the squad.

Bestietom

It's not Football Manager.

We need to shift a couple of CB's before we can even consider buying one, plus Axel should be introduced into the squad.
I'm not talking Football Manager. If we don't tighten up in defence by bringing in an experienced CB we will be caught out. Stevie Wonder could see this.

Mylock

Can any regular follower of the Italian league brief us of Romagnoli? I know captaining this Milan side is no big feet, but I like what I've seen of him in the few rare occasions. Is he a good enough option to solve our CB problem?
He's potentially the next great Italian defender, he also plays on the left side of the defence which is an area we're currently short on. Would be a great signing along with de legit.

sam147

Lindelof is not a young CB nor is he an old CB. He is a quality player at the right age to grow into a long term CB for United. He can shine alongside an older or younger player. As long as that player is an actual footballer and not Jones or Smalling. It is frustrating watching a player like De Ligt be linked to other clubs. Barca will sign him for 80m or even 100m. Eitherway he will be a top player for 10-12 years or more. The same way we signed Jones while Madrid signed Varane, it is laughable. If we were a serious club we would get rid of all of Smalling Jones and Rojo and sign two CBs. The fans got their scapegoat in Jose and now the pressure is off the leeches at the top of the club. Alderweireld and De Ligt would be better than signing just Koulibaly.

Kostov

He's potentially the next great Italian defender, he also plays on the left side of the defence which is an area we're currently short on. Would be a great signing along with de legit.
I keep hearing that and he looks very solid, a leader as well. Would he be a good option to play alongside Lindelof? I'm not sure to be honest, pace worries me in that combo.

Fracture90

Lindelof is not a young CB nor is he an old CB. He is a quality player at the right age to grow into a long term CB for United. He can shine alongside an older or younger player. As long as that player is an actual footballer and not Jones or Smalling. It is frustrating watching a player like De Ligt be linked to other clubs. Barca will sign him for 80m or even 100m. Eitherway he will be a top player for 10-12 years or more. The same way we signed Jones while Madrid signed Varane, it is laughable. If we were a serious club we would get rid of all of Smalling Jones and Rojo and sign two CBs. The fans got their scapegoat in Jose and now the pressure is off the leeches at the top of the club. Alderweireld and De Ligt would be better than signing just Koulibaly.
Don't think they have that much money to spend considering just how big a chunk of their income goes on wages, also they're not very keen on doing business with far rat cnut raiola who's representing the player atm iirc.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Don't think they have that much money to spend considering just how big a chunk of their income goes on wages, also they're not very keen on doing business with far rat cnut raiola who's representing the player atm iirc.
And they have already signed Todibo

Kidders

I don't think just one CB is enough, Linderlöf is playing well ATM, but the rest are just plain average, I agree with those who say sell Smalling, Jones & Rojo, I'd buy Milenkovic & Koulibaly, keep Bailly & Linderlöf, and develope Tuanzebe.

Gordon S

Milenkovic + Zagadou and we wouldn't have to worry about losing headers in the box anymore.

Kidders

Another game, another comfirmation that we need a CB, (left footed or comfortable playing Left CB), he would need to be very dominant in the air as that's where we look particularly vunerable.
I really think it's the difference between making top 4 or not, the problem is that I don't think the club will buy anyone while we have 5 senior CB's, and because Ole is only caretaker he may not be allowed to make such big decisions.

The Last Jedaiiii

Another game, another comfirmation that we need a CB, (left footed or comfortable playing Left CB), he would need to be very dominant in the air as that's where we look particularly vunerable.
I really think it's the difference between making top 4 or not, the problem is that I don't think the club will buy anyone while we have 5 senior CB's, and because Ole is only caretaker he may not be allowed to make such big decisions.
I'm scared of Ole's relative success to date. It gives the Glazers and Woodward an out- do you think they'll make the required investment in the summer if we finish in the top 4? Take into account Woodward's claims at meetings with shareholders regarding his focus (commercial).

VanGaalyTime

I'm scared of Ole's relative success to date. It gives the Glazers and Woodward an out- do you think they'll make the required investment in the summer if we finish in the top 4? Take into account Woodward's claims at meetings with shareholders regarding his focus (commercial).
It's very bizarre that with United doing well and gaining a foundation we're not spending. We barely did any business last summer and we're making ridiculous profit. We now need the owners to finally step up and pay to improve the team. I honestly can see this team winning a cl or domestic trophy with a CB in Jan.

Litch

Not sure but for me would sooner be older, experienced and a leader than inexperienced one with potential. Imo we have Lindelof and Bailly to pick from who could be very good with the right guidance.

JMack1234

We've got young centre-backs in Lindelof and Bailly so i'd go for an experienced player like Alderweireld or Koulibaly.

That said De Ligt looks a real talent.

Devil may care

I get the call for an experienced CB, Koulibaly paired with Lindelof has a lot of potential, but I don't consider de Ligt the same as other CB's his age, he looks different gravy.