Centre Back... Who do we go for?

croadyman

I find the CB position intriguing because haven't got a clue who is the top target

jamesjimmybyrondean

Unless the player is a guarantee and is absolutely proven, I don't think we should take the risk of signing a CB that is worth 40m + considering our defense is quite good and we also have other positions that need filling. I would rule out the likes of Konate Dias Upamecano who would be worth 40m + and are not absolute guarantees and absolutely proven. I'd also say there isn't any defender currently available that is worth 40m + that is an absolute guarantee.

We would still need a defender to replace the likes of Rojo Jones and Smalling who could be sold. We should go for a low risk high reward player. If defenders like Ajer or Kabak or Ake are available for 15 - 25m then they are good options

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Unless the player is a guarantee and is absolutely proven, I don't think we should take the risk of signing a CB that is worth 40m + considering our defense is quite good and we also have other positions that need filling. I would rule out the likes of Konate Dias Upamecano who would be worth 40m + and are not absolute guarantees and absolutely proven. I'd also say there isn't any defender currently available that is worth 40m + that is an absolute guarantee.

We would still need a defender to replace the likes of Rojo Jones and Smalling who could be sold. We should go for a low risk high reward player. If defenders like Ajer or Kabak or Ake are available for 15 - 25m then they are good options
I agree. In my opinion, waiting for one year could make sense. It would give us the chance to see more from a few players (Konate, Upamecano, Milenkovic, Ajer) and also give them more experience in a «safer environment».

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Was watching a Ronaldo goals video the other day and remembered he played in front of peak level Ferdinand and Vidic. Before that we had Stam/Johnson and Bruce/Pallister.

While our front line now has the potential to match up to previous generations, our centerback pairing is still far away. We are obviously assuming Maguire is good enough for one half (Vidic equivalent) but we don't that the Rio Rolls Royce type next to him yet. Perhaps Lindelof can grow into that, he still has some years to develop, and that means Bailly and Tuanzebe are even years behind that.

Crystal clear we need an older ready made veteran to cover gap for 1 or 2 seasons, for immediate upgrade as well not block our younger supply chain.

Last edited:

diarm

Was watching a Ronaldo goals video the other day and remembered he played in front of peak level Ferdinand and Vidic. Before that we had Stam/Johnson and Bruce/Pallister.

While our front line now has the potential to match up to previous generations, our centerback pairing is still far away. We are obviously assuming Maguire is good enough for one half (Vidic equivalent) but we dont that the Rio type Rolls Royce next to him yet. Perhaps Lindelof can grow into that, he still has some years to develop, and that means Bailly and Tuanzebe and even years behind that.

Crystal clear we need an older ready made veteran to cover gap for 1 or 2 seasons, for immediate upgrade as well not block our younger supply chain.
I like Lindelof - to be honest, I wouldn't have much between himself and Maguire, but he's never going to grow into what Rio gave us because he doesn't have the pace, athleticism or agility for it. What made Ferdinand such an incredible defender and such a great foil to Vidic, was that in addition to his pace, he could turn on a sixpence and clean up after breaks or mistakes that see us concede these days.

On one hand you had Vidic who read the game very well, who stopped attacks in their tracks and used his physicality to bully and upset opponents as well as being a beast in the air. And on the other, you had Rio who was also intelligent and strong in the air, but who had the sheet athleticism to go into overdrive when our defensive shape was broken and retrieve the situation. It was a perfect balance.

At the moment we (questionably) have two defenders who can offer one half of that combination, but nobody fit to offer even a pale imitation of Rio. I agree with the earlier post about looking for proven operators but I'm not sure how many of those exist or are available at the moment.

Both the lads at Leipzig would offer the pace and agility we need. It might be time to take a punt on one of them.

croadyman

Yeah this Kabak could be an interesting one especially if he's available for that kind of price.

I wonder if the reason we are maybe looking at cheaper CB options is because Ole wants to give Axel a proper chance when fit again.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I like Lindelof - to be honest, I wouldn't have much between himself and Maguire, but he's never going to grow into what Rio gave us because he doesn't have the pace, athleticism or agility for it. What made Ferdinand such an incredible defender and such a great foil to Vidic, was that in addition to his pace, he could turn on a sixpence and clean up after breaks or mistakes that see us concede these days.

On one hand you had Vidic who read the game very well, who stopped attacks in their tracks and used his physicality to bully and upset opponents as well as being a beast in the air. And on the other, you had Rio who was also intelligent and strong in the air, but who had the sheet athleticism to go into overdrive when our defensive shape was broken and retrieve the situation. It was a perfect balance.

At the moment we (questionably) have two defenders who can offer one half of that combination, but nobody fit to offer even a pale imitation of Rio. I agree with the earlier post about looking for proven operators but I'm not sure how many of those exist or are available at the moment.

Both the lads at Leipzig would offer the pace and agility we need. It might be time to take a punt on one of them.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If he can step up and take that mantle then obviously that would be my preference. Does he have the out and out pace to give us what Rio did though?
From what I've seen he has the pace to compliment Maguire. He doesn't seem aggressive though

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hes been blighted by injury for 3 years now. Tuanzebe can't be relied on sadly. Definitely a player in there but he's about as useful as Phil Jones if he's always injured.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Perhaps, but that eventuality is at least 2 more years away. Need a high quality 'Blanc' type stop gap in between.
A stop gap would make sense. I get people not wanting Koulibaly for his price but there are some that bring up his age as a negative. With Tuanzebe and Mengi coming up Koulibaly would be a good stop gap. But his price is too much especially when we have other positions that also needs filling.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A stop gap would make sense. I get people not wanting Koulibaly for his price but there are some that bring up his age as a negative. With Tuanzebe and Mengi coming up Koulibaly would be a good stop gap. But his price is too much especially when we have other positions that also needs filling.
There's no guarantee with Koulibaly either. Even Sancho for the RW isn't a guarantee.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

While our front line now has the potential to match up to previous generations, our centerback pairing is still far away. We are obviously assuming Maguire is good enough for one half (Vidic equivalent) but we don't that the Rio Rolls Royce type next to him yet. Perhaps Lindelof can grow into that, he still has some years to develop, and that means Bailly and Tuanzebe are even years behind that.

:lol: sorry fella

Revan

Assumptionman
the problem is that we live in the age of average CBs.
Not sure. More likely the football has become more attacking, and with the social media the mistakes gets emphasized and look worse than they are. I don’t think that CBs are worse than before, just that the game has moved on.

King Andow

I have no idea but we need 2 and we can't feck around anymore. We're not winning shit with Lindelöf and Maguire starting, especially with De Gea impersonating Joe Hart.

Aouer-United

The loss to Chelsea might be blessing in disguise, I hope it's a wake up for Ole that we need more left-footed defender

We have 10 defenders in the squad but out of 10, Luke Shaw is only left-footed defender we have. If we want to play out from the back often, we need more left-footed on CB and LB, we cannot play Maguire and Williams on the left flank against pressing, they both look very uncomfortable.

As of now, Lindelof and Maguire are only fit CB, all other CB is injured.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We have 10 defenders in the squad but out of 10, Luke Shaw is only left-footed defender we have. If we want to play out from the back often, we need more left-footed on CB and LB, we cannot play Maguire and Williams on the left flank against pressing, they both look very uncomfortable.
I agree. But there is not many high-quality left footed CBs available. Bringing in a left back would help as we could play with three at the back and Shaw as LCB (where he as done well). I also thought Lindelof did well as LCB in the first half, but a left footed left back would have helped.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The loss to Chelsea might be blessing in disguise, I hope it's a wake up for Ole that we need more left-footed defender
It certainly again showed two things that are becoming themes.

De Gea making another huge error, and arguably one on the first goal
Lindelof out strengthed/out paced again 1-2-1.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We don't just need a centre back to compliment Maguire or Lindelof. We need one that would take this defense to another level. Cant think of any.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We don't just need a centre back to compliment Maguire or Lindelof. We need one that would take this defense to another level. Cant think of any.
There's CBs out there who could do just that and are far more experienced at resisting a press and enforcing one.

Rolaholic

Upamecano is reportedly looking to leave Leipzig this summer, hope we look into it at least

jamesjimmybyrondean

Are we still in for a left footed CB? How many good ones are available? Ake and Salisu are already gone. Skriniar Torres and Badiashile I think are the only decent ones available

Mr Smith

Not sure. More likely the football has become more attacking, and with the social media the mistakes gets emphasized and look worse than they are. I don’t think that CBs are worse than before, just that the game has moved on.
Personally I feel it's a combination of the two, but there are definitely less world class defenders than their used to be, which the price you pay for them has inexplicably gone up.

Which is one of the reasons I feel we should be working on improving what we have rather than splashing cash on what would be the 4th CB in 5 transfer windows.

Skills

Snitch
Top coaches have realised bad teams are bad because they can't score goals. And beating poor teams is how you win titles.

So if you're great at attacking and can guarantee yourself to score 2-3 goals per game, the bad teams don't have a hope of matching you in a shoot out - heck they can't do it against other bad teams in the league. So they're happy to give away a goal for more attacking prowess in the other half.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How much are Leipzig wanting for either Upamecano/Konate out of interest?
Upamecano is in his final year and they (RBL) have gone on record to say he will be sold because they can't afford to see him leave on a free. I think around €40m will do it. Konate it was reported wants to leave and come to the EPL by German media and it was reported he has a buy out clause of around €40m.