Centre Backs Under The Radar

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Milenkovic is still a bit suspect in terms of positioning. Which is why Fiorentina prefers to play him as RB for the time being. I wouldn't mind add him as RB tbh because he's very good there. However Id still add a CB as well ie Joachim Andersen.
Agree with this. Milenkovic and Andersen would make sense (but maybe some would argue we should be looking to add a bit of experience?).

Milenkovic could be a long term CB-solution, but also a short term option for our RB, competing with Dalot. Although both lack experience, they have very different qualities.

Andersen is a bit suspect in terms of pace maybe? I would also add Rice in midfield. Long term, he will probably end up as a defender.

I understand why a lot of supporters want to add experience. But the rebuild will take time. We will not win the PL the next few years not matter what. I would rather focus on players that will be very good in three years time, when we might be able to challenge again.

ManchesterYoda

Right footed CB is best suited to playing RCB, left footed CB is best suited to playing LCB. Most footballers are right footed and many right footed CBs can play LCB. The problem for us is that only Jones is capable of playing LCB comfortably. Bailly and Lindelof are both better playing RCB. Smalling has always been better playing RCB. We need a CB that can play LCB. What would be best is to sign a left footed CB and a CB that is comfortable playing RCB and LCB.
This is why Jones and Smalling is STILL our best CB partnership, I don't care that everyone else disagrees with that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Agree with this. Milenkovic and Andersen would make sense (but maybe some would argue we should be looking to add a bit of experience?).

Milenkovic could be a long term CB-solution, but also a short term option for our RB, competing with Dalot. Although both lack experience, they have very different qualities.

Andersen is a bit suspect in terms of pace maybe? I would also add Rice in midfield. Long term, he will probably end up as a defender.

I understand why a lot of supporters want to add experience. But the rebuild will take time. We will not win the PL the next few years not matter what. I would rather focus on players that will be very good in three years time, when we might be able to challenge again.
Milenkovic would be like signing prime Ivanovic that Chelsea had. With superior on the ball skill

Kostov

For Leipzig this season
Orban 29 games CB average rating 7.42
Konate 26 games CB average rating 7.25
Upamecano 17 games CB average rating 6.91

This is an example of why we keep going so wrong in the transfer market.
I'm not sure where you got the ratings, but I've seen players being absolutely shit in games and still get ratings above 7 by Whoscored.

My point is, you shouldn't take too much into these things as probably our scouts don't, it can be misleading.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That bolded bit is highly unlikely
Well, then I suspect England will have one more wasted player playing in a position that will not best suit his strengths and weaknesses.

In a smaller club, he is fine in midfield. At a team that often dominates possession and struggle to break down compact, deep and well organized teams he offers too little on the ball.

He is great on the ball if he is a CB, but very average as a midfielder. Its also worth remembering that up until this season he has played CB for most of his carrier.

ManchesterYoda

I'm not sure where you got the ratings, but I've seen players being absolutely shit in games and still get ratings above 7 by Whoscored.

My point is, you shouldn't take too much into these things as probably our scouts don't, it can be misleading.
Well, first of all, we need new scouts, because most of the players we've signed over the past few years haven't been good enough.
Whoscored rating system is flawed, but it's a hell of a lot more accurate than fan's opinion.
Also, the raw data is not flawed.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Milenkovic is still a bit suspect in terms of positioning. Which is why Fiorentina prefers to play him as RB for the time being. I wouldn't mind add him as RB tbh because he's very good there. However Id still add a CB as well ie Joachim Andersen.
Maybe. Seen him read a lot of attacks well though sometimes positioning not quite right.... his pace helps him out.

If we could get him and Alderweireld (didn't mention before as didn't match thread topic), I'd take that.

Kostov

Well, first of all, we need new scouts, because most of the players we've signed over the past few years haven't been good enough.
Whoscored rating system is flawed, but it's a hell of a lot more accurate than fan's opinion.
Also, the raw data is not flawed.
I'm not sure whether it's the scouts or the ones making the decisions for whoever we go and bring in. There was a guy who claimed we were scouting de Ligt for a long time and nothing happened. Even Upamecano was close to joining us before going to Germany. I think the problem is not the scouts.

Rating systems are flawed and that was my point. Some football fans watch actual games and form an opinion based on that, others by reading the stats, not everyone's opinion is worth noting though.

Just shoot me

I would love to see Nathan Aké at United. He's got that 'Pujol' defending with lots of tackles and aggression. Quicker than most attackers and his positioning is great for such a young guy. Plays as a wingback for the Netherlands too.

Veltman/Dumfries - De Ligt - VVD - Ake

ManchesterYoda

I'm not sure whether it's the scouts or the ones making the decisions for whoever we go and bring in. There was a guy who claimed we were scouting de Ligt for a long time and nothing happened. Even Upamecano was close to joining us before going to Germany. I think the problem is not the scouts.

Rating systems are flawed and that was my point. Some football fans watch actual games and form an opinion based on that, others by reading the stats, not everyone's opinion is worth noting though.
I agree that rating systems are flawed, but not as flawed as a fan's opinion. The raw data is not flawed.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I like Ake or the English lad from Newcastle who's name is eluding me. Even that young lad from Norwich would be more useful than Rojo or Bailley.
I'd sign Rice as a centre back too, not as a midfielder though.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Under the radar CBs:

Serie A
Berat Djimsiti (Atalanta)
Gianluca Mancini (Atalanta)
Nicolas Nkoulou (Torino)

Ligue 1
Christophe Herelle (Nice)
Malang Sarr (Nice)

BuLi
Nico Elvedi (Gladbach)

Last edited:

Irrational.

I've really been impressed with Conor Coady at Wolves. Captain and an absolute rock at the back for them. He's provided the foundation which has made them a difficult team to beat.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

When United needed quality they always went for a CB who was in his mid twenties. Gary Pallister (24), Jaap Stam (26), Rio Ferdinand (24) & Nemanja Vidic (25). The oldest two top CBs SAF's signed were Ronnie Johnsen and Steve Bruce (both 27) whom we hardly got them because of experience considering that they previously played at mighty Norwich and Besiktas. So I really don't take this experience thing

Sure, in theory it makes sense. You have 4 young defenders and you add an experienced CB who will provide leadership and help them to reach the next level. However in reality it never really work out. Blanc was possibly one of the most experienced CB in football history. Yet he was horrible with us. Rio and Vidic provided great experience both at club and international level. Yet they weren't able to tutor Jones and Smalling not to headbutt the pitch. Same with Philip Neville who was still an accident waiting to happen despite having been tutored by Denis Irwin. Meanwhile Bonucci was the best CB in the world yet his experience at Milan was horrible.

You see, defence is a collective effort. A top defence is achieved when you've got 5 individuals (GK, 4 defenders and a DM) with the right talent, the right characteristics & the right attitude who had been playing together for enough games to know each other strengths while covering up for each other weaknesses. You don't simply plug and play an experienced defender who would then perform miracles at the back. Remove any bit of that and you've got problems.

SAF's last defence failed because of injuries which hurt Smalling's, Jones's and the twin's development big time. In some ways it hurt Wes's career as well who turned out to be fine but was destined to much bigger things if only he could stay fit during his formation years. We need to get 4 talented young defenders and a top talented young DM, in front of DDG, we should play them week in week out irrespective of results and I promise you with a bit of luck we'll sort this issue once and for all.

Redo91

Badiashile at Monaco? I’ve only seen him play a handful of times but I’m guessing he must have something about him considering he has played so much for Monaco for someone who has just turned 18. Then again it could be a case of him being very physically developed at a young age. He’s a bit of a unit!

youmeletsfly

Not trying to hate on Tuanzebe fans, I like the kid, but what did he do for him to be considered an "under the radar cb?" I think he's still in the "talented kid" bracket.

Skriniar looks alright, but also looks rather slow.

Coady from Wolves is a very good shout.

Stacks

I mean, statistically he was through the roof from his first season at Southampton. He's also statistically the highest rated CB this season, but higher at Southampton.

Some people dont like stats, but its a heck of a coincidence that the CB who is always at or around the top each season is also the best CB in the world. It would be far more accurate if everytime they made a mistake it counted against them, but thats not currently considered.

Schar and Otamendi are the other 2 highest rated CBs by stats alone. Nowhere near as good as VVD in his first season in the premier league and also much older than he was.

So no, there isnt another VVD at least the Southampton version, in the premier league

Bednarek would be the highest rated statistically under the age of 27. He's 23 and another Southampton player.

So he's one who might do better at a bigger club, who knows. Still has time on his side anyway but I dont think anyone would think hes going to be as good as VVD.

Next would be Tarkowski and Michael Keane who are both already 26. And Phil Jones at 27.
May want to put a lid on the Phil Jones bit

Champagne Football

Wolves don't have to sell so that makes signing Coady complicated.

Ruben Dias and DeLigt have every club in Europe after them so can't see it.

I think it will be between Milenkovic and Joachim Andersen as to who we sign with Andersen looking more like that vocal leader type we so badly need with perfect height also at 6'4. Probably native level English also. Maybe the Ole factor will also pursuade any Scandanavian warriors out there that playing for the baby-faced viking is the way to go.

starman

Christensen impressed me under Conte and Jose, but not so much under Sarri, then again nobody has really

Ake & Toby would be a good business to replace Bailly & Rojo, imo

zeekey

I like Ake or the English lad from Newcastle who's name is eluding me. Even that young lad from Norwich would be more useful than Rojo or Bailley.
I'd sign Rice as a centre back too, not as a midfielder though.
Lascelles?

Varun

Staff
Jonathan Tah is quality. Will go for a big money move in a year or 2.

Timo.utd

Nikola milenkovic (my favourite option alongside mancini) is playing against juve and has just scored a goal

JackShaw

If the board doesn't want to pay 90m for Koulibaly I think Manolas would be a great option with his 36m release clause.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ibrahima Konate is 19 and plays for RB Leipzig in Germany. Seems to be rated higher than Upemecano.

Negan

Ake and Zouma would be a big improvement on Smalling and Jones.

Bojan11

Zouma? Are we talking about the one that struggled at Stoke and has hardly set the world alight at Everton.

Schar at Newcastle is worth a look.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Ibrahima Konate is 19 and plays for RB Leipzig in Germany. Seems to be rated higher than Upemecano.

The number of good young defenders in the BL is amazing really.

Akanji, Diallo, Zagadou, Upamecano, Konate, Sule, Pavard, ,Tah, Retsos and even some lesser unknown ones like Niklas Stark at Hertha and Marc Oliver Kempf at Stuttgart. Obviously not all of them will become world class players but you can expect a few of them to go on to great things, I expect Akanji, Diallo, Sule and Upamecano to be the best of the lot.

Whats scary is how many of them are French (Lucas Hernandez is coming as well) :lol:

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
They don't exist according to the club. All the options are apparently no better than our 5th choice options like Rojo and Bailly.

AdNani

I would love to Sign Ake, got the potential to be a top defender IMO