Chain Draft Round 1 - Cal? vs diarm

With players at peaks in the teams indicated, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Tardelli isn't anchoring but he is the most withdrawn of my midfield 3 because he has the best engine and best defensive ability of that trio. By placing him at RCM I would get more benefit from his attacking capabilities through the middle but I'm not short on attacking ability through the middle. As good as he was, he's not going to be skinning fullbacks on the wing and putting in crosses.
It's not about skinning fullbacks or crossing, it's about stretching the play (i.e. stretcch the rival defence). Tardelli helps you do that in a way no one else in your team will.

By placing him in the more withdrawn role, I can alternate him with Veron (I did outline this in my OP) to use his attacking prowess but also keep him back when Amoros goes forward. The Frenchman is the one player who can take on a fullback and deliver to Klinsmann from wide areas and as much as he offers in midfield, Veron could not give that cover as well as Tardelli does.
Your remaining three defenders provide that cover. You have the ball anyway. Also, while Amoros could overlap (more so than take on fullbacks), he was very strong at crossing from deep (in fairness, Neville isn't too shabby at this either) so it's not like he will always be far up the pitch when you lose posssession.

Just because Tardelli was as good as he was as an out and out box to box midfielder, doesn't mean we should forget that he was also a world class defensive operator renowned for his positioning and ball winning ability.
There's a zillion water carriers who can do a decent enough job of that. Anyhow, my point here isn't criticising but if you do go through and with the (narrow) squad at your disposal for any decisions on reinforcements you should take into account your best midfielder for a diamond is Tardelli, so you play him at RCM and it's everything/one else that needs to accommodate that.

antohan

Cassano, not going to help with my so called midfield issue...
Nope, not really. What I don't get is how you didn't come across a decent CM/DM having patrolled up and down Serie A. Did someone get nicked from right under your nose?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I still maintain that diarm's complete lack of width plays the game into my hands as I have probably the best winger/full back combinations around.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Nope, not really. What I don't get is how you didn't come across a decent CM/DM having patrolled up and down Serie A. Did someone get nicked from right under your nose?
Cassano wasn't my first choice at the time... :sigh:

and the players born in the 70s quota became a real issue towards the end.

diarm

I still maintain that diarm's complete lack of width plays the game into my hands as I have probably the best winger/full back combinations around.
I think I'm fortunate to have fullbacks of the defensive caliber of Neville and Amoros to be honest. Your great strength is Robben down the right flank but with Zambrotta having to keep a close watch on Baggio on this side of the field, at least it will be one on one with Robben facing a rarity in a fullback who can match him for pace.

My gameplan, narrower set up and likely midfield superiority will hopefully result in dominating possession of the ball in areas away from your scary wide men!

antohan

Cassano wasn't my first choice at the time... :sigh:

and the players born in the 70s quota became a real issue towards the end.
Suspected as much when you mentioned Cassano :lol:, two obvious options sprung to mind but both were picked by others.

The 70s was bound to be a huge issue. Such a huge pool of recognisable talent, it was inevitable that some of you would start dipping into it and wind up getting trapped in there.

diarm

Not sure how much more there is to be said on this one. Both sides are strong defensively and we both have some real stars up front. Cal? has the edge in terms of pace and width but my side will dominate the midfield and imo, has more match winners.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ah well, I'm not convinced at all how @diarm 's team can work, but well done and good luck... :D

diarm

Ah well, I'm not convinced at all how @diarm 's team can work, but well done and good luck... :D
I think we both got a tough rap in that match but in fairness, we both had a fairly obvious weakness. That said, I thought you built a really good side other than the midfield and Robben, Ribery and Weah was a lovely looking front 3.

Cheers mate and hard luck.

antohan

I think we both got a tough rap in that match but in fairness, we both had a fairly obvious weakness. That said, I thought you built a really good side other than the midfield and Robben, Ribery and Weah was a lovely looking front 3.

Cheers mate and hard luck.
I echo this, very unfortunate that @Cal? couldn't pick one of the Roma midfielders. Made a massive difference.