Chain draft round 1 Kazi vs Cutch

With players at peaks in the teams indicated, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaJanuzaj

.....................................Team Kazi.....................................................................................Team Cutch.........................................

Team KAZI​

Formation: 3-2-3-2, based on the Mighty Magyar’s.

Sandor Kocsis and Sandro Mazzola feature as my inside forwards. Kocsis (75 goals in 68 games for Hungary) will play off the shoulder while Mazzola will support him on the other side, taking the role of Puskas. Mazzola and Puskas share a lot of similarities, in particular their close control and dribbling. Mazzola will drag defenders out of position, leaving the ruthless Kocsis to exploit the spaces created.

Luisito Suarez takes the role of the withdrawn striker / deep-lying centre forward, made famous by Nandor Hidegkuti. In reality, the man in this position takes the role of the playmaker, perfect for Luisito’s passing ability and creativity. He also possessed a brilliant long-shot, an opportunity he would have plenty of in this position. His 61 league goals in 122 games during his time at Barcelona showed he had an eye for goal. He’ll naturally link-up with Mazzola; they made for a telepathic pairing during their time at Inter.

Kurt Hamrin and Giampiero Boniperti are my wingers. Both prefer to play on the outside right, but due to Boniperti being the more versatile of the two (and losing a game of rock-paper-scissors prior to kick-off), he’ll be on the left. Hamrin’s speed and trickery makes him a handful for any full-back, while his goal-scoring record for a winger is exceptional (150 in 289 for Fiorentina, 17 in 32 for Sweden). Boniperti on the other side would fit in perfectly with the modern game; he had pace, power, bags of technical ability, and when he played on the left, he loved to cut inside (and regularly score – 178 in 444 for Juventus, their record holder until DP came along).

Jozsef Bozsik and Giovanni Lodetti are the two half-backs. Bozsik is probably the greatest regista of all time, he’ll be orchestrating the team from deep. Lodetti was known for his hard work and stamina in midfield during his time at Milan, he’ll be doing the dirty work in this pairing. Lodetti takes the role of Jozsef Zakarias, who would regularly drop into defence and/or man-mark the forwards of the opposing team. He won’t be breaking any curfews though.

Armando Picchi, captain of the famous Grande Inter side, takes the role of the libero. He’s known for being a strong figure and hard tackler at the back but most of all, his positional discipline and anticipation; he’ll also be organising the defence. Besides him are Tarcisio ‘The Rock’ Burgnich and Riccardo Ferri. Ferri (who has played on the left of a back three, most notable for Italy during the 1990 World Cup) is a calm and composed figure who quietly gets about his work. Burgnich on the other side is much more loud in his work, he’ll make sure the forwards know who he is. But both are effective in getting the job done. Ivano Bordon will be sweeping up on the rare occasions where Picchi doesn’t get there first.

Key points:

Technical Presence – All over the pitch, the players are leaking with technical ability. Especially in the front six, so much ability on the ball, they have all the makings to absolutely overwhelm Cutch’s team. With the way he has set up, I feel I can take advantage of this.

Goals – My front five all have incredible goal-scoring records; some for club, some for country, some for both. No one more so than Kocsis with his 75 in 68 for Hungary. But Hamrin, Mazzola, Boniperti and Suarez all have scored at over 0.5 a game at some point in the career. Cutch on the other hand is quite light on goals; Rossi who’ll be leading his line only had a good goal-scoring record during his three years at Vicenza. Bergkamp’s done pretty well at Ajax and Netherlands wrt goals, while Conti and Donadoni are quite lacklustre on the wings. Overall, a stark comparison to my forwards.

Hamrin vs Panucci – Panucci is a very good defender, but if Cutch has a weak link in defence, it’s Panucci. He’ll be playing on his weaker side (left as opposed to the right). This gives Hamrin, a man famed for being able to dribble spectacularly with both feet, all the opportunities to absolutely tear him apart and score/create goals.

Team Cutch​
Team

This team has been largely inspired by some of the greats to have played in Serie A and for the Italian national team.

I have attempted to go for players of proven longevity and class, a balance of flair and graft, and players in a setup that they will prosper in.

My rock solid defence is marshalled by the legendary World Cup winning captain Daniel Passarella. One of the all time greats, an organiser and leader of the highest quality. A man of average height but outrageously good in the air, and the most prolific goalscoring defender of all time. Pietro Vierchowod forms the perfect sweeper-stopper pairing. A beast of a defender that no one enjoyed playing against. One with pace and power, but also the ability to read the game and intercept. One of the most underrated defenders to have played the game. On the left Christian Panucci will play a composed and sensible game tucking when required allowing the foraying Passarella to make an influence further up the pitch. Panucci like Vierchowod is another grossly underrated defender, voted the best U23 player in Europe in 94, while winning the Champions League playing left back against Barcelona. Guiseppe Bergomi on the right is more acclaimed, a legend of the game with similar intelligence and marking ability to Vierchowod, and like Passarella another leader of men. It is a back four as rock solid as they come.

In midfield, I want 2 in the middle up for the battle. Edgar Davids and Danielle De Rossi provide these qualities in abundance. Davids as tenacious a ball winner as you can find and 100 cap World Cup Winner Roman gladiator De Rossi an all round package that can mix it, but also provide cutting edge passing, and is the Italian national teams record goalscorer from midfield. On the wings is arguably Italys greatest ever widemen. Bruno Conti was one of the best players in the world in the 1980s, a star of the 1982 World Cup, adept on either wing and able to beat players with ease. Roberto Donadoni played for the all conquering AC Milan side of the late 80s and early 90s winning 6 Serie A titles and 3 European Cups, and like Conti had outstanding pace, technical ability and dribbling with Michel Platini regarded Donadoni as the best Italian player of the 90s.

The great Denis Bergkamp needs little introduction. One of the outstanding technical footballers of his generation. He will be the perfect link man slightly deeper of Italy legend Paulo Rossi, one of the most instinctive finishers to have played the game who in 1982 cleaned up all the prizes winning Golden Boot, Golden Ball, Ballon D’Or and of course the World Cup.

Sub: Alberigo Evani

Tactics

A fairly disciplined defence with fullbacks that won’t be contributing overly in offensive areas, but the game breaker of course in defence will be Daniel Passarella who will get license to go forward with the naturally right sided Panucci tucking in to make a compact defense.

Passarella and Bergomi are both outstanding leaders and so the defence is sure to be well organised to supplement the outstanding marking skills of Vierchowod.

Davids will be snapping on the heels of his opposite number (probably Bozsik) while De Rossi will be expected to offer a bit more creativity aswell as bite. This will allow the front four the platform to make the difference in the final third, with Bergkamp the central creative hub, and the 3 Italian legends Conti, Donadoni and Rossi making off the ball runs. The former 2 running at and committing players and providing the supply line for Rossi to bury the chances.

Opposition

I'm guessing the opposition formation will have a hungarian theme to it, and so will be heavily stacked in attack. With my own personnel i think this should play into my hands with having stay at home fullbacks keeping tabs on the wing forwards, and Davids and De Rossi heavily pressing Suarez and Bozsik when on the ball. Of course the advantage will then be found at the other end, with quick distribution to the front 4 and likely only 3 at the back to try and contain them. Its a formation that ultimately i don't think can survive against evolving tactics and more modern day Italian pragmatism.

Kazi

Should be a good game this. Don't really know where to start. Taking a risk with my formation but it's my best shot with the personnel.

VivaJanuzaj

Should be a good game this. Don't really know where to start. Taking a risk with my formation but it's my best shot with the personnel.
I really think it is. I'm not sure how I'll vote but considering his players I'd say a wacky formation to break down that defence is the best way to go.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
@Kazi just wondering why is there no Full back or wingers at least offering any sort of defending on the flanks? Have this formation ever been played in football history or am I just lacking in football tactics?

Kazi

@Kazi just wondering why is there no Full back or wingers at least offering any sort of defending on the flanks? Have this formation ever been played in football history or am I just lacking in football tactics?
Formation was used by the 1950s Hungary team. Burgnich and Ferri are the full-backs, more so when Lodetti drops in to play in an area where you'd normally find a centre-back. The team attacks as a whole, but also defends as a whole. When we lose the ball, all eleven players move fluidity as a unit to win it back. As Cutch mentioned in his tactics, I don't need to worry about his full-backs as they have orders to stay back. It gives my wingers the freedom to defend a larger area rather than worry about specific players when I don't have the ball.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Burgnich and Ferri are both equally good at full back and center back
I got that. But this formation is eerily similar to formation applied by Pep Guardiola in first 15 minutes against Barca in last season semi first league in CL. It focuses a lot on 1 on 1 defending against the like of Conti and Donadoni, who are no slouch at beating defenders but just aren't prolific finishers. Isn't that a serious disadvantage to his defence?

Formation was used by the 1950s Hungary team. Burgnich and Ferri are the full-backs, more so when Lodetti drops in to play in an area where you'd normally find a centre-back. The team attacks as a whole, but also defends as a whole. When we lose the ball, all eleven players move fluidity as a unit to win it back. As Cutch mentioned in his tactics, I don't need to worry about his full-backs as they have orders to stay back. It gives my wingers the freedom to defend a larger area rather than worry about specific players when I don't have the ball.
Okay. I like your team, it has a lot of mercurial talent with plenty of goals but I am worried about your defence. If Cutch had Muller-esque player in his team (which Rossi was at times esp '82 WC) then doesn't your defence has a serious disadvantage with a lot of 1-on-1 defending to be won.

Kazi

Okay. I like your team, it has a lot of mercurial talent with plenty of goals but I am worried about your defence. If Cutch had Muller-esque player in his team (which Rossi was at times esp '82 WC) then doesn't your defence has a serious disadvantage with a lot of 1-on-1 defending to be won.
There will be times where my defenders will have to deal with 1-on-1 situations, but I am willing to take that risk. My players will have to be sure not to give the ball away in certain areas. When they do lose possession, they'll need to immediately press and win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible and as quickly as possible.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
As i touched on in my op, I just don't see how that formation would work and the reason why tactics have since evolved. It's simply too gung-ho particularly against what would be such a well drilled and compact defence that can soak up pressure. Leaving 1v1 at the other end against the likes of Conti and Donadoni is asking for trouble and Bergkamp looks like he'd have an awful lot of freedom infront of that back 3.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
There will be times where my defenders will have to deal with 1-on-1 situations, but I am willing to take that risk. My players will have to be sure not to give the ball away in certain areas. When they do lose possession, they'll need to immediately press and win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible and as quickly as possible.
As i touched on in my op, I just don't see how that formation would work and the reason why tactics have since evolved. It's simply too gung-ho particularly against what would be such a well drilled and compact defence that can soak up pressure. Leaving 1v1 at the other end against the likes of Conti and Donadoni is asking for trouble and Bergkamp looks like he'd have an awful lot of freedom infront of that back 3.
Yeah, basically you'll have an extra man whenever you attack. That seems to be one of the flaws of Kazi's system.

Cutch

Yeah, basically you'll have an extra man whenever you attack. That seems to be one of the flaws of Kazi's system.
Another flaw imo is the centre defender of the 3 Picchi is a sweeper/libero and to my knowledge is used to being in a back 4 behind a stopper. Picchi won't be sweeping in this game as he's been left with Paulo Rossi and probably also with Denis Bergkamp. I don't even think Vierchowod would fancy his chances with that sort of challenge.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't see how Cutch will always have an extra man in attack. Kazi always has four defensive players which is more than enough. In modern lopsidedly 4231 you can end up with something similar. It's true he's more open down the flanks but Conti is the only one who'll really exploit it.

If Kazi can press well and get the ball back I can see him doing very well. Also Cutch's only really creative player is Bergkamp, stop him and Cutch won't create much

Cutch

I don't see how Cutch will always have an extra man in attack. Kazi always has four defensive players which is more than enough. In modern lopsidedly 4231 you can end up with something similar. It's true he's more open down the flanks but Conti is the only one who'll really exploit it.

If Kazi can press well and get the ball back I can see him doing very well. Also Cutch's only really creative player is Bergkamp, stop him and Cutch won't create much
At the very least it looks like 1v1 which is never 'more than enough' in a game lasting 90 minutes.

As for the rest can't agree with any of that either. Bergkamp the only creator and Conti the only one that will do anything on the flanks, really? Conti, Bergkamp and Donadoni are creators of the highest quality and all 3 will create many chances in this game with the opposition setup.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
i just cant vote as i dont know much about half of the players out there, will try to do some research tonight.....

players that i didnt hear before: Boniperti, Lodetti, Ferri, Bordon
players that i dont know much about: Hamrin, Picchi, Conti

:D

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
i just cant vote as i dont know much about half of the players out there, will try to do some research tonight.....

players that i didnt hear before: Boniperti, Lodetti, Ferri, Bordon
players that i dont know much about: Hamrin, Picchi, Conti

:D
Conti is arguably one of the greatest Italian winger of all time. The only weakness in his game is arguably his finishing skills.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
At the very least it looks like 1v1 which is never 'more than enough' in a game lasting 90 minutes.

As for the rest can't agree with any of that either. Bergkamp the only creator and Conti the only one that will do anything on the flanks, really? Conti, Bergkamp and Donadoni are creators of the highest quality and all 3 will create many chances in this game with the opposition setup.
Wouldn't you have De Rossi / Davids forward in tandem to exploit his seemingly lack of defensive number though?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Boniperti also looks a bit of a square peg in a round hole as Kazi has partly alluded to. A great goalscorer who could do a job on the right wing but I don't think he was every tasked with this sort of role on the left.
To be honest I'm not sure how much value Boniperti is adding here when a left-back would resolve the defensive concerns. Mazzollo was good at dropping into that inside-left channel and could provide the necessary attacking contribution.

VivaJanuzaj

Wouldn't you have De Rossi / Davids forward in tandem to exploit his seemingly lack of defensive number though?
I guess Davids will naturally be the one more venturing, but I wouldn't think it needs mentioning in the OP. Davids had(and has*) great abilities in joining from the midfield and well I don't think his shooting from distance needs introducing.

*has - because this is the goal he scored just a couple of days ago:

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
I guess Davids will naturally be the one more venturing, but I wouldn't think it needs mentioning in the OP. Davids had(and has*) great abilities in joining from the midfield and well I don't think his shooting from distance needs introducing.

*has - because this is the goal he scored just a couple of days ago:

De Rossi is pretty good for deep lying position venturing forward, as well. I am most acquitted with Davids from his Ajax role when he had great pace to move forward from deeper positions. His shooting from distance though was a lot less prolific (compared to someone like Lampard) because his brace last week came as a surprise though. I like @Cutch 's balance though here. He has a pretty defiant defence with good attacking combinations.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

I was imprecise. When I said creator I meant central creator. Exposing a back three is best with proper flying wingers which Donadoni clearly isn't one. He's hardly a bad player just not the best for exposing Kazi's setup.

Someone made a point about Picchi only actually sweeped up in front of a back 3. If this is the case, @Kazi why would he fit there? From memory Picchi played in front of a Catenaccio back line with RCB, CB, LCB and LWB.

Kazi

I was imprecise. When I said creator I meant central creator. Exposing a back three is best with proper flying wingers which Donadoni clearly isn't one. He's hardly a bad player just not the best for exposing Kazi's setup.

Someone made a point about Picchi only actually sweeped up in front of a back 3. If this is the case, @Kazi why would he fit there? From memory Picchi played in front of a Catenaccio back line with RCB, CB, LCB and LWB.
I was always going to have players unfamiliar to the system with the way this draft works. Picchi as part of Grande Inter played as a libero in the back four. When Lodetti drops deep, it's fairly similar.

Cutch

Bruno Conti: A Tribute To A Roma Legend

Conti was born in Nettuno on 13th March, 1955 into a large family, and he recalls his father having to work long hours to ensure that he and his six siblings were able to live in relative comfort. “My father would get up at four in the morning and get back home at seven in the evening. We were seven children and we never lacked anything, but we certainly didn’t live in luxury. My two brothers and I slept in the same bed and we even used coats to cover ourselves”.

Sport was central to young Bruno’s life in Nettuno, a small town 37 miles south of Rome that is famed for being Italy’s baseball hotbed. Conti played both baseball and football as a youngster, and while he was talented at both it was baseball that came calling first. After playing once for Nettuno in 1969, Bruno received an offer when he was 15 from the University of Santa Monica to move to the United States to pursue a career in baseball. “They assured me that I’d be able to study and that I’d become a professional baseball player”, Conti says. “But my father wouldn’t allow it. He thought we should all stay together, even if it meant we stayed poor. But in hindsight I have to thank him – I would have been crazy to have left”.

Despite his unquestionable sporting talent though, one problem stood between Conti and a career in football: his height. At just 5’ 6” (1.69m), he had a series of trials with clubs including Lazio, Bologna and Sambenedettese, but the verdict was always the same: ‘technically good, but too small physically’. Conti was even cast aside at first by Roma, who were coached at the time by Helenio Herrera, who also rejected him for being too small. “Often the bigger players bullied me on the pitch”, Conti admits, but fortunately for him and for Roma, Tonino Trebiciani intervened and brought him into the club’s Primavera aged 17 in 1972.

“I still remember how happy I made [my father] when I came back home and told him, ‘Dad, Roma have signed me’”, Conti says. His father was enamoured with the Giallorossi – so much so that he only planted yellow and red flowers in his garden. Conti did not have to wait long for his debut, which came on 10th February, 1974 against Torino under new coach Nils Liedholm. “I owe everything to Liedholm. I made my debut under him and he taught me the importance of hard work, but also the importance of not taking yourself too seriously and to look at things in the right perspective”.

While ‘the Baron’ valued Conti’s talents highly, he was sent out on loan to Genoa in 1975/76 to gain experience and returned there two years later in 1978 for a further season after falling from favour under Liedholm’s replacement Gustavo Giagnoni. In 1979 though, both Conti and Liedholm returned to the capital and a new era truly began for the Giallorossi. Bruno formed part of a Roma side that became legendary, which included players such as Agostino Di Bartolomei, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Pruzzo, and a year later also Paulo Roberto Falcao. Conti had a superb understanding with Pruzzo in particular, who he had played together with at Genoa. “Most of the time all we needed to do was look at each other”, Pruzzo recalls.

Conti wore the number 7 shirt at Roma, but played on the left hand side of the pitch in order to use his powerful left foot. Rather than bludgeon the ball though, Conti caressed it as he dribbled and moved with the ball as skilfully and as agile as any Brazilian growing up on the streets of Rio de Janeiro. He was a gifted midfielder with an excellent shot, and was later nicknamed ‘Marazico’ because of his characteristics that resembled the iconic Diego Maradona and Zico.

Conti played a major part in the trophies that Roma won in the following years, including successive Coppe Italia in 1980 and 1981 before winning Roma’s second ever scudetto in 1983. A tactical switch made by Liedholm at the start of the season proved crucial in the title win, as Di Bartolomei was moved back to protect the defence and use his passing ability to pick out Conti on the wing. From there, he was devastating. Falcao explains that Conti “had the technical skills of a South American player, and sometimes it was hard to convince him not to dribble more than he had to! He had the skill to hide the ball from the defenders”. Gianni Brera, the legendary Italian sports journalist, added that “he glides and creates things like a possessed dancer. Then he stops, you catch up with him, then he sets off again”.

Bruno played 26 times in the 82/83 title-winning season, scoring three goals, and has said that winning the scudetto with Roma was an even better feeling than winning the World Cup. “To win the World Cup is the best feeling that you can have doing this job, but the World Cup is seven games. To win ascudetto in the city you’ve grown up in, where you interact with the fans on a daily basis, is even better. I fulfilled a dream by winning the scudetto here in Rome when I made sacrifices for a whole year, compared to the World Cup which was seven games and where everything is decided in a month. But of course they’re both two wonderful victories”.

The World Cup itself was one of the crowning moments of Conti’s career. His performances for Roma had earned him a call up to Enzo Bearzot’s squad for the 1982 tournament, where he took the place of Franco Causio. His dribbling, passing and ability to create opportunities for his team-mates led him to be named as the player of the tournament by Pele, who also described him as “more Brazilian than the Brazilians”. It was in the final against West Germany where Conti really made his mark, winning a penalty (which was subsequently missed) and playing a key role in the second and third goals scored by Marco Tardelli and Alessandro Altobelli as Italy won 3-1. Paolo Rossi, who ended up as the tournament’s top goalscorer, said that “all you had to do was tap the ball into the back of the net” because Conti would do the rest.

Further trophies followed as Bruno won the Coppa Italia in 1984, 1986 and 1991, but the European Cup was fatefully not to be added to his list of honours. The 1984 final against Liverpool was even played at the Stadio Olimpico in front of just under 70,000 fans, but after drawing 1-1 in normal time, Conti missed the second penalty in the shootout and the Lupi went on to lose 4-2 on penalty kicks. He eventually retired from football in 1991, and to grasp the affection that Romanisti have for Conti and to understand what he represents to the club, perhaps it’s enough to say this. On 23rd May, 1991, Roma played a commemorative match to be Conti’s final game before he retired, and the game was attended by over 80,000 fans – around 9,000 more than the amount that were in the Stadio Olimpico the day before when Roma lost the second leg of the UEFA Cup final to Inter. In all, Conti made 402 appearances for Roma (304 in the league, 64 in the cup and 34 in Europe), scoring 47 goals - only six players have ever played more times for the Giallorossi.

Tributes paid to Bruno Conti after the 1982 World Cup
:

Miljan Miljanic: “All the Italians were great, Bruno Conti maybe a little more than the others”.
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: “Italy were deserved winners. The tournament’s best player? For me it’s Bruno Conti; it was an honour for me to swap shirts with him after the final. I’ll keep it as a memory of a fantastic champion”.
Tele Santana: “Falcao told me incredible things about Bruno Conti, but honestly, I didn’t think that he was so good”.
Michel Hidalgo: “Do you know who I’d long to have? Bruno Conti”.
Bobby Charlton: “If I was the national coach of any team in the world, I would want Bruno Conti with me”.
Hansi Muller: “Who is the player who I’m most worried about as a future opponent? Bruno Conti, no question”.
Pele: “Bruno Conti was the true Brazilian at the World Cup. He was the best of any player I saw in Spain. I don’t think players like him are born any more”.
Oscar: “For me, Conti was the best player of the World Cup”.
Diego Maradona: “Conti was the real revelation of this World Cup, he’s a player of real international class. Argentina or Brazil would be delighted to have him in their team”.
Daniel Bertoni: “Bruno Conti is decisive in the Azzurri’s play, he’s a true world class player. Thanks to him, Bearzot was able to solve no small amount of problems”.
Jean Vincent: “Before Italy-Cameroon, I said that Conti was the only player who truly made me fearful, because he’s unpredictable and gifted with great quality. His performances during the entire World Cup showed that I was right”.
Zbgniew Boniek: “I’ve seen Conti from on the pitch, on the television and from the stands – it’s almost impossible to stop him. Among other things, he has a very precise and powerful shot”.

Cutch

Legend Of Calcio: Pietro Vierchowod
Pietro Vierchowod made 562 Serie A appearances, was a member of the Italian squad that won the 1982 FIFA World Cup and continued playing beyond his fortieth birthday during a career spanning across almost 20 years at the top level of Italian football.

It’s very rare nowadays for a footballer to stay in one league, let alone represent a team for more than ten years. Pietro Vierchowod managed both of these feats, staying loyal to his Sampdoria side for 12 years before moving on to play for both Juventus and AC Milan.

A rugged, yet elegant central defender, Vierchowod goes down as one of the legends of Italian football, playing until the age of 41 and making the fifth highest amount of appearances in Serie A history.

Vierchowod was seen as a complete defender. Tough and intelligent with an aerial prowess but also comfortable on the ball, he often made marauding runs up the pitch and created chances for his teammates.

Born as the son of a Ukrainian soldier, Vierchowod picked up the nickname of Lo Zar for his family connection and also his style of play on the pitch. His career started off at Como, where he made over 100 appearances between the ages of 17 and 22.

A young Vierchowod inspired his Como side to back-to-back promotions between the years of 1978 and 1980. Furthermore, once they were promoted from Serie C1, the Lariani actually ended up champions of Serie B in the 1979/80 season and were promoted to Serie A.

The 1980/81 season would be his last for Como as his side narrowly missed out on relegation from Serie A by one place. The following season he moved to Fiorentina as the Viola mounted a serious title challenge with Vierchowod in defence, but they were pipped to the Scudetto by Juventus. The defender’s fine performances earned him a place in the Azzurri’s squad for the 1982 World Cup.

Despite being a valued member of the Italy squad, Vierchowod didn’t play a minute of that World Cup such was the strength in defence that the Italians had.

It’s tough to argue that the Fiorentina defender deserved a spot in that team, with the likes of Claudio Gentile, Gaetano Scirea and Fulvio Collovati operating in the Italy defence. He was unfortunate, but the Azzurri ended up winning the tournament beating West Germany in the final 3-1.

After the World Cup, Vierchowod left Fiorentina after only one season and moved to Roma. Lo Zar helped the Giallorossi claim their second Serie A title and his first in his debut season with the club. What’s more is that Roma beat Juventus to the title, the team that narrowly beat his Fiorentina side just a year earlier.

Following the success of the Scudetto, the 1983-84 season would see Vierchowod plying his trade with Sampdoria. It was initially seen as a surprising move as Samp finished 7th the year that the defender won the league with Roma, but in hindsight the transfer shaped his career.

In his second season with Samp, they won the Coppa Italia, beating Milan 3-1 on aggregate in the final. That was the first of four Coppa Italia titles that the Blucerchiati won with Vierchowod in the heart of their defence, with the other successes coming in 1987-88, 1988-89 and 1993-94. Samp also finished runners-up twice against Vierchowod’s old team Roma in 1985-86 and 1990-91.

After winning the Coppa Italia in 1988-89, Il Doria were to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup 2-0, after extra-time, thanks to two goals from Gianluca Vialli in 1989-90. Vierchowod also grabbed two goals himself in that campaign, one in the quarter-final against Grasshopper of Switzerland, and the other in the semi-final against French side Monaco.

Without a doubt Vierchowod’s best campaign was the Serie A season of 1990-91 where he was a stalwart in the Samp defence as they won their first ever league title, though the defender may not have received the plaudits he deserved.

With Roberto Mancini and Vialli leading the line and grabbing most of the limelight, Vierchowod was just as important at the rear end, helping the Genoa-based club accumulate 17 clean sheets, 11 of which came away from home.

Domestically, in the 1991-92 campaign Sampdoria had a poor outing, finishing sixth and missing out on European football. Though, it could have been the successful campaign in the European Cup that hindered their performance in Serie A.

Samp made it all the way to the final after topping the group in what was an oddly structured European Cup in its final year before it changed to the Champions League. Up against Barcelona in the final, they lost in extra time thanks to a free-kick from Ronald Koeman. It wasn’t going to be Vierchowod’s last shot at the inaugural trophy though.

In 1995, at the age of 36, Lo Zar was signed by Italian champions Juventus and although the Bianconeri didn’t win the league that season, they grabbed their second European Cup title. Vierchowod played the whole 120 mins as the Old Lady beat Ajax on penalties in the final. Not many players at that age would be able to keep their concentration or energy to play a final at that level for so long, but he could, proving his steel.

His career withered away after the high of winning the biggest club competition on offer, signing for AC Milan immediately afterwards in 1996 and playing a bit-part role for the Rossoneri as they finished 11th in Serie A. After that season, he moved to Piacenza where he stayed for three seasons, before retiring from football at the age of 41 in 2000.

Vierchowod will go down as one of the greatest defenders to hail from the peninsula and he can deem himself unlucky to have not accumulated more caps for the Azzurri. After the third-placed play-off of the 1990 World Cup, England striker Gary Lineker described Vierchowod as the hardest defender he has ever played against.

“He was absolutely brutal and lightning quick. He gave me one or two digs,” said Lineker.

It is certain that if Vierchowod played in any other generation, such as now, he would have played a bigger part in the Italian side. His leadership, tactical awareness and fitness enabled him to prolong his career to the age of 41, not to mention play a big part on the pitch, claiming various titles.

And with 562 Serie A appearances to his name, and almost 20 years at the top level, Vierchowod goes down as a legend of the Italian game, despite maybe not receiving the International accolades he merited.

Cutch

Christian Panucci: A Great among Legends

Panucci first broke on to the Italian scene with Genoa back in 1990 as a sprightly 17 year-old right winger. His appearances were restricted during his initial years but he played a part in il Grifone’s fourth-placed finish during the 1990-91 season. His performances for the Rossoblu earned him a transfer to Fabio Capello’s dominant Milan side of the nineties. For three seasons Panucci shone on the left flank for Milan while Mauro Tassotti showcased his talent on the right. The two formed one of the most indomitable full back partnerships in Italian football and played an invaluable part in Milan’s Champions League triumph of ‘94. After three highly successful seasons with the Rossoneri wherein - he won two Scudetti - he went with Fabio Capello to Real Madrid. He became the first ever Italian to play for Los Blancos.

Panucci had an admirably successful time even in Madrid and won his second Champions League medal with them in the ’98 final against Juventus. After spending one more season with the Galacticos he returned to Italy with Inter Milan. At the Nerazzurri he fell out with the then coach Marcello Lippi. Panucci famously said of his time at Inter: “Do I have any good memories? Breakfast in Milan, the highway and then the Appiano Gentile’s gates opened and I was dying to get out…” His problems with Lippi saw him get loaned to Chelsea and then end up at Monaco of France.

Finally after a torrid couple of years he joined up with Roma in 2001 and reunited himself with Fabio Capello at the Giallorossi. Panucci was not a regular in the Italian national team setup as he had run into problems with Arrigo Sacchi, but for the 2002 World Cup he was the first choice full back for Giovanni Trappatoni’s team. However, Panucci made a crucial error in the inglorious match with South Korea that led to the equalizer with a couple of minutes left on the clock. After the Euro 2004 debacle Panucci’s Italy stint was once again put on hold as Marcello Lippi took charge of the Azzurri.

By now he was a mainstay in the Roma defence and peaked for the capital side from 2006/07 and the 2007/08 seasons as they challenged Inter for the title. Panucci also became a leader at Roma as he would regularly rally the team around him and has been a guide to many of the young players in the squad. His brilliant form with Roma prompted Roberto Donadoni to recall him to the national team for the run up to Euro 2008. Panucci scored a decisive last minute header against Scotland en route to the tournament finals and was also the scorer of Italy’s equalizer against Romania.

After the Championships, Panucci saw his position at Roma come under threat from Cicinho. His relations with Coach Luciano Spalletti were already under a lot of stress and he refused to sit on the bench for the game against Napoli in January. Despite Panucci coming out and issuing an apology for his behavior, his time with the Lupi was effectively over. His move to Parma was seen to bring vital experience to the side and he put in some impressive performances till his supposed problems with Guidolin. His resignation from the squad brings to an end to a lengthy and highly successful career. In an age and time when Italy produced defenders of the highest calibre, Panucci may not have been in the elite but he was certainly a great.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I like Kazi's boldness. Will vote later.

And if we are saying that there are 4 Cutch's attacking players vs 3 of Kazi's defenders, it's worth to mention that the same imbalance can be noticed at the other side of the pitch, where arguably more threatening front 5 is against the flat back four.

Need additional info on Lodetti, he is a crucial figure in this match-up and I don't know enough about him @Kazi

Kazi

I like Kazi's boldness. Will vote later.

And if we are saying that there are 4 Cutch's attacking players vs 3 of Kazi's defenders, it's worth to mention that the same imbalance can be noticed at the other side of the pitch, where arguably more threatening front 5 is against the flat back four.

Need additional info on Lodetti, he is a crucial figure in this match-up and I don't know enough about him @Kazi
Giovanni Lodetti was best known as being part of the 1960's Milan side that won two European Cups. He played in midfield alongside Rivera and others (incl. Trapattoni), and was definitely the workhorse of the midfield, winning the ball back for his more talented team-mates, despite possessing good technical abilities himself. His greatest strength were his stamina, anticipation and tackling ability. But he's best known for just running all day, exactly what my sort of team needs. He made it into the AC Milan Hall of Fame, too.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's fantastic to see how @Kazi managed to start at Inter, go into the depths of Honved, re-emerge, make it back tot hat Inter side to pick up Burgnich and then track back all the way to Ferri. Remarkable drafting and remarkable outcome when the complexity of that journey is considered.

I'd agree with @harms that we need to know more about this Lodetti fella and whether he can indeed drop back and beef up that defence (like Sammer did for me in the 3-2-5 I had in the reality draft). I can see Suárez dropping into midfield to make it a trio (like Neeskens did for me) and Mazzola in turn dropping back as a linkman (like Baggio in my side).

Hamrin will have a great game here, I'm not a huge fan of Panucci on the left in an all-time draft. @Cutch's honest admission that his fullbacks won't provide much going forward is a godsend for Kazi. His problem wwill be the defence getting stretched and, Lodetti question mark aside, Kazi is misssing a key ingredient of these sides which was the wingers running the flanks from the front. Hamrin will do a fine job, but Boniperti wasn't really that sort of player as far as I know. It's a shame kazi got Kocsis and not Czibor, though to his credit he realised that all by himself.

Cutch has a lot of familiar faces, we all know how they will work. As said, a bit nonplussed by Panucci, not overly keen on the defensive overkill in that midfield, and decidedly shocked at what must be the most random keeper ever to get drafted. Boring but effective. However much Ii like Kazi's effort here, I have a hard time seeing him outscore Cutch. Bergkamp is in oceans of space and that doesn't sound like a great idea.

So yeah, Lodetti profiling is required here. Can he do anything about all this?

PS: I was looking forward to finding out more about that other Kincses chap. From what I gathered he looked the more credible option on that left flank, not that anyone would care, mind.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Giovanni was best known as being part of the 1960's Milan side that won two European Cups. He played in midfield alongside Rivera and others (incl. Trapattoni), and was definitely the workhorse of the midfield, winning the ball back for his more talented team-mates, despite possessing good technical abilities himself. His greatest strength were his stamina, anticipation and tackling ability. But he's best known for just running all day, exactly what my sort of team needs. He made it into the AC Milan Hall of Fame, too.
So he won't really drop into defence making it a four, more a case of him having instructions to limit the space for Bergkamp to operate in, right?

Kazi

So he won't really drop into defence making it a four, more a case of him having instructions to limit the space for Bergkamp to operate in, right?
You're right, I doubt he was ever given a role to drop in as a centre-back. If he was given a job to strictly man-mark Bergkamp, I think he'd be fine. But if you're asking him to be defend a certain area, it would be more tricky. I'm sure he'd be up for it though.

Cutch

I know as little as the rest of you about Lodetti but his cv does sound underwhelming. A 5ft 5inch defensive midfielder with just the 17 caps for Italy. Played in the 66 side that were eliminated in the first round and dropped for the 70 World Cup. No international caps after the age of 26. Had over 200 games for Milan but so too did my sub Evani. Made the hall of fame but so too did Evani. He looks likely to be the weakest midfielder on the pitch.

Cutch

I accept Panucci isn't the most eye catching pick but that's part of the plan here having the great Passarella alongside him. I could have gone for a more attack minded fullback in the Cabrini or Roberto Carlos mould but that would have been reckless. Panucci was a regular for 3 seasons in one of the greatest defences of all time at left back and is a disciplined tactically astute defender which is all i ask in this setup. It's also easy to forget how good he was in his prime as it was quite early in his career, and as I mentioned prior he was voted the best U23 player in the whole of Europe in 1994. He was a good defender and will do a fine job here alongside the 3 greats alongside him.