Chain draft round 1 Kazi vs Cutch

With players at peaks in the teams indicated, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Oh wrong match then, confused it with another one of his matches that I downloaded. Those gifs still leave me in awe watching them, just as they did the very first time :drool:

Last edited:

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Lodetti plays a crucial role in Kazi's team. I admit I don't know much about him, but as he was a regular in title-winning Milan team, I foresee he will do a good job in screening the back three. Kazi's 3-man defense is also well suited for his defenders, all comfortable in their role. Boszik is also good at defending and have great passing range, so he will do well alongside Lodetti.

Hamrin will love to face against Panucci, while Bonaperti will not be worried about Bergomi overlapping because most likely he won't. Then you have Mazzola who can play anywhere in attack: inside-right, supporting striker, forward. Together with Suarez, they will be plenty of chance for him and Koscis to score. And with Kazi's attacking array, I don't think Pasarella can afford to go forward as often as he wants to
Just in case nobody sees this

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I accept Panucci isn't the most eye catching pick but that's part of the plan here having the great Passarella alongside him. I could have gone for a more attack minded fullback in the Cabrini or Roberto Carlos mould but that would have been reckless. Panucci was a regular for 3 seasons in one of the greatest defences of all time at left back and is a disciplined tactically astute defender which is all i ask in this setup. It's also easy to forget how good he was in his prime as it was quite early in his career, and as I mentioned prior he was voted the best U23 player in the whole of Europe in 1994. He was a good defender and will do a fine job here alongside the 3 greats alongside him.
I rate Panucci fine across the back line - more natural on the right, but capable on the left. But I'm not sure how accurate that profile of his is earlier and the claim that was a regular at left-back. In 1993/94 for instance when Baresi (31/34 Serie A games), Costacurta (30) and Maldini (30) were all regulars. Tassotti (21) and Panucci (19) made up the rest of the defence and presumably there was some alternating of the right-back slot there with both players occasionally filling in the gaps in the rest of the back line. The following season Panucci really took over from Tassotti, again, presumably at right-back with the odd stint elsewhere in the defence. Main point is that Baresi, Costacurta and Maldini were all first-choice during Panucci's time there and, when that is the case, there is only one place for him to go.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Going for Kazi 3-2. With all his firepower, even with that defense, he will score a lot- Hamrin on Panucci being the primary route (I like Panucci but he's much better at right back). Cutch will score on one of his many counters. If he had a better striker than Rossi it could have been different.

Kazi

Thanks for the input y'all. Found it difficult to defend my team at times as the formation and some of the personnel are quite new to me.

diarm

Didn't vote on this one because I felt it would be closer than the scoreline was reflecting at times. That said, I think the result (looks to be certain now) is a fair one.

Kudos to @Kazi for drafting a really brave and original side and well done to @Cutch for a really well balanced, defensively solid team. I reckon Team Cutch would win most games between these two but the few games Team Kazi came out on top, they would absolutely hammer them if you know what I mean?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yeah i think a couple of you have nailed it. It was a stunning piece of drafting by Kazi. Really interesting reading up about some of his lesser known players and seeing how they would have done a job for him in this setup. However i still believe it's the right result and my side would win this game more often than not. Don't agree with a couple that thought it would be a 3-2 goal fest or that Hamrin would be the matchwinner, think i mite have to sell a couple of my players more, particularly my 2 world class widemen and the underrated Panucci.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Thanks for the input y'all. Found it difficult to defend my team at times as the formation and some of the personnel are quite new to me.
You did a bloody good job tbh. As I said before, I tried the Magyar setup several times and it's incredibly difficult to pull off given all the various requirement that you would have for each and every player. The only one that stuck out like a sore thumb as "the wrong type" was Boniperti, the rest was very well constructed. Stunning, considering the drafting mechanics.

antohan

Yeah i think a couple of you have nailed it. It was a stunning piece of drafting by Kazi. Really interesting reading up about some of his lesser known players and seeing how they would have done a job for him in this setup. However i still believe it's the right result and my side would win this game more often than not. Don't agree with a couple that thought it would be a 3-2 goal fest or that Hamrin would be the matchwinner, think i mite have to sell a couple of my players more, particularly my 2 world class widemen and the underrated Panucci.
Spot on, Donadoni and Conti seemed invisible. Problem with wingers is you need them to be goalscoring ones in these drafts, or great back-trackers (the only credit they got :lol:). Wingers just doing a winger's job doesn't quite cut it in the "where are the goals going to come from" stakes.

You need a left-sided Bergomi more than you need Bergomi on the right TBH. Very hard to find one, But Panucci just won't cut it for much longer.

Moby

Dick
The only one that stuck out like a sore thumb as "the wrong type" was Boniperti
Certainly a reason for me, specially as from my knowledge Mazzola is likely to clash with him in that role.

@Kazi great effort, I found it very difficult to vote against you, Cutch's back 6 is just a bit strong and has just enough to hold out for a 1-0/2-1 win.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Spot on, Donadoni and Conti seemed invisible. Problem with wingers is you need them to be goalscoring ones in these drafts, or great back-trackers (the only credit they got :lol:). Wingers just doing a winger's job doesn't quite cut it in the "where are the goals going to come from" stakes.

You need a left-sided Bergomi more than you need Bergomi on the right TBH. Very hard to find one, But Panucci just won't cut it for much longer.
Yeah that's fair. I still thought it was much easier to see where my goals were going to come from though against such a gung ho formation and a midget trying to stop Dennis. Quick ball to Conti or Donadoni and both of them building up a head of steam and getting a run at that back 3 would have spelt trouble I'd have thought. Picchi unable to sweep and being right in the firing line wasn't ideal either.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Very much so. Poor Donadoni never seems to get the credit he deserves - often at Milan he was the sole player really capable of leaving a man for dead (Van Basten and Gullit could do it but in a different way) - and his tactical role was really crucial. And Conti was arguably the star of the '82 World Cup.

antohan

Yeah that's fair. I still thought it was much easier to see where my goals were going to come from though against such a gung ho formation and a midget trying to stop Dennis. Quick ball to Conti or Donadoni and both of them building up a head of steam and getting a run at that back 3 would have spelt trouble I'd have thought. Picchi unable to sweep and being right in the firing line wasn't ideal either.
You would indeed, which is where maybe you should have emphasised it a bit more. It wasn't a matter of them scoring but simply dragging a defender out, beating him and then "oh boy".

antohan

Very much so. Poor Donadoni never seems to get the credit he deserves - often at Milan he was the sole player really capable of leaving a man for dead (Van Basten and Gullit could do it but in a different way) - and his tactical role was really crucial. And Conti was arguably the star of the '82 World Cup.
My point precisely, "tactical wingers" don't get much credit as a whole.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well done to both @Cutch and @Kazi. I loved both of your teams and the approaches both of you took. This was a much closer match (for me) than I anticipated.

After looking back at some of Luisito's clips during his time at Inter, I must say, Kazi's team looks better-balanced, and I'd definitely have given him a chance to win this one. Even then, we cannot dismiss Cutch's solid defence with a tenacious midfield, complete wingers, and two complete forwards. It was always going to be tough for Kazi to win this one.

Well done, Kazi. It was an excellent job that you did building that team. If you probably had someone like Sammer instead of Lodetti, I probably think that you could have obtained more votes.