Champions League Final: Liverpool v Real Madrid | Hala Madrid!

Who do you think will win the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stan Jefferson

That’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. Fabinho slides in to make the tackle therefore is deliberately trying to play the ball.

frostbite

I hope everyone agrees that Real Madrid doesn't deserve to be up a goal. They got dominated.
Not at all. Real Madrid deserves to be up a goal, because THEY SCORED A GOAL. That's how football works.

Josep Dowling

When incidents like that happen the rule book should be immediately altered after the game. Any normal fan watching that doesn’t understand why it’s not given. Ex-players sat there saying they don’t understand and then Peter fecking Walton comes on acting like that’s the rule. It’s nonsense.

Zen

No ones remembering this final for the football it seems.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’m even more annoyed by the fact that Robertson wasn’t playing him on. I always assumed it was the last outfield player you had to be behind.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
To be fair, whilst I also agree it’s a horrid decision, the interpretation of ‘deliberate’ relates to Fabinho deliberately playing the ball towards Benzema, not necessarily deliberately playing the ball per se. At least that’s how I’m trying to rationalise their definition and subsequent decision! :nervous:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I hope everyone agrees that Real Madrid doesn't deserve to be up a goal. They got dominated.
That means absolutely zilch.
The winner is the team that puts one more ball than their opponent in the net.

RedDevilRoshi

Is Philip Walton on crack?

If the ball is played into the goalscorer's path by an opposition player, it's onside whether it was accidental or otherwise. The rule has always been that way, right?
Yep, but looks like they need to be bent when it involes LiVARpool.

Cheating cnuts

OneUnited24

Think the whole deflection thing makes perfect sense. Otherwise players could just stand in an offside position and hope for a deflection and then go on and score.

That being said, I'd have much preferred the goal to stand. I don't want Liverpool to win any more than they already have done this season.
I agree but I thought there was a double deflection. Surely that should play some part. I mean at what point does bad defending get punished? If Fabinho isn’t there the ball probably falls to a real player at the far post. not just because it’s Liverpool but I wish the attacking team would get advantage in decisions like this. It seems now they’re always looking to rule out goals

Irwin99

Seems like Real are just trying to stay in the game at times rather than take the fight to Liverpool. Am hoping it's part of the plan to change things up with the subs and nick it against a tired Liverpool

valeron21

In what world does a defender deliberately play the ball to an opposing attacker !? It’s always going to be a messy scramble , unbelievably lucky

laughtersassassin

I'm so sick of Liverpool getting the VAR calls in these finals.

Look at the Carling cup. Couple of red cards etc.

It's like they always get the benefit of the doubt

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
The ref didn't give it, VAR did.

You're offside if there are not two players between you and the goal (those 2 players don't have to include the goalkeeper);

The decision is that when Valverde touched the ball, it hit Fabinho and went to Benzema who was offside.

The only debate is whether Fabinho deliberately gave the ball to Benzema, if involuntary then Benzema's offside.

But Liverpool are lucky.
Why would he tho? I don't get the whole accidental/deliberate debate. He slid in for the ball and the ball hit him, then it went to Benzema who scored.

Genuinely asking why is there even a debate? It's a goal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, the big scandal here is that they didn't enforce the famous "Real Madrid Champions League Tax Rule" which clearly states any remotelt controversial decision should be awarded in Real Madrid's favour

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let me say it again for all the blind folk on the caf.

Valverde touches the ball, ergo its a block, not a pass.

Ergo, not a goal.

The rule is fine.

Its all you blind folk that's the problem.
hahaha have you been on the stella’s all day or something? even my 80 year old nan can see fabinho clearly touches it last

SuperiorXI

The annoying part about this is Peter Walton. He’s wrong.

He’s saying Fabinho’s touch was not deliberate which leaves it open to interpretation and corruption.

In what planet is a slide tackle tackle not a deliberate act unless you’re on ice or a wet pitch?
He said he doesn't deliberately pass it to Benzema which is an arse backwards sentence in itself anyway.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
"We can tie ourselves up in knots talking about the only goal that was scored in the game, but let's talk about how great Liverpool are instead" Cnuts on BT

Zoo

Klopp is such a scruff isn’t he. Orange trainers ffs

Deery

Dreary
But the pass wasn’t meant for Benzema hence the crazy deflections. I still can’t believe this, a defender slides in , wins the ball and it’s not deliberate.
The whole things is a mess. The worst part isn’t Fabinho but the Liverpool player who gets in the first deflection, there’s no argument he isn’t trying to play the ball most of all.
Yeah I’m not actually sure why it wasn’t given now, don’t understand the not deliberate thing and the Valverde pass wasn’t for him.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
The ball goes precisely in the direction that Fabinho INTENDS to play the fecking ball. feck me what a robbery.
Yeah exactly, he slid in, the ball hit the sliding leg and went in the only direction it could have done. Very very weird.

ExoduS

Not at all. Real Madrid deserves to be up a goal, because THEY SCORED A GOAL. That's how football works.
But it has to be according to rules. It was a clear offside according to rules. I actually dislike the rule.

mav_9me

I have been watching soccer for 21 yrs, I haven't seen a luckier team than this Liverpool.

Even Carragher thinks it should be a goal for real.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When does it stop being not deliberate? It's just all too confusing.
deliberate never ever gets used for this exact reason. how can you ever know? should drogbas goal where gerrard back passed it not have counted then either? gerrard didn’t mean it? :lol: it’s ludicrous

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
"We can tie ourselves up in knots talking about the only goal that was scored in the game, but let's talk about how great Liverpool are instead" Cnuts on BT
My BT contract runs out in November. I have been thinking about cancelling it. They are doing their best to make my mind up for me.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
That means absolutely zilch.
The winner is the team that puts one more ball than their opponent in the net.
:lol:
On the phone with Salah right now to get him to stand next to the adulterer in the next half and bang in a few off-side goals.