Champions League Football Dec 4-5

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Chelsea were a waste of slot that used up all their luck last year :lol: Should have let Spurs come through instead

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Celtic, Milan, Shakhtar, Porto, Valencia, Real Madrid. That's my order of preference for the draw for the next round. Shouldn't be too difficult if we draw one of the first 3 but the others would be much more difficult.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Don't you want us to knock out your lover boy's side? :smirk:
I'd rather we get an easy draw, Real Madrid are one of the best teams left in the competition, arguably THE best if that injury is serious.

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
Samaras' dive :lol:

Cheated their way through

Roon ye.

*doffs cap*

As a Celtic fan I'd like to avoid Dortmund and Madrid. I'm kinda disappointed that you're the only team from Europe's third best league to win your group, because we've played you so often in recent years that I'd prefer a more interesting trip...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Samaras' dive :lol:

Cheated their way through
That was a shocking call from the referee.

Celtic, Milan, Shakhtar, Porto, Valencia, Real Madrid. That's my order of preference for the draw for the next round. Shouldn't be too difficult if we draw one of the first 3 but the others would be much more difficult.
I'd suggest Shakhtar would cause more problems than Valencia - they jizzed all over Chelsea - while Valencia are in a mid-season crisis. Then again come the spring they might pick up under Valverde.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Dont want Real because they are the hardest possible draw this round. Dont want Shaktar because they are as good as the other teams but theres a long trip to Ukraine to play them. Hate those PL games after long away trips in the CL midweek. We seem i play Valencia, Milan, and Porto ever other year, so there are all pretty boring fixtures.

Celtic would be perfect. Easiest opponent and shortest travel.

Anna_Livia

Messi's up and walking in the changing room, btw. Not such a bad injury as it looked.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
5 Minutes from the end of the Celtic match. Probably wasn't a penatly, but fair play to Celtic. I don't really remember a team ever doing as much as they have to get through. Led the best team in the world for most of 180 minutes, gave everything in the remaining 4.

rcoobc

"Wembley, Wembley, we're the nah nah nah nah nah nah and we're going to Wembley!"

Fair play to them

Anna_Livia

Fair play to Celtic. Deserve lots of credit for getting out of that group.
10 points, 3 wins, 1 draw, 9 goals - genuine question here; has there been a better performance from a 4th seeded team?

if it wasn't for a 94th minute winner in the nou camp we'd have topped that group.

Skorenzy

10 points, 3 wins, 1 draw, 9 goals - genuine question here; has there been a better performance from a 4th seeded team?

if it wasn't for a 94th minute winner in the nou camp we'd have topped that group.

Cluj? 10 points, 3 wins, 1 draw, 9 goals, +2 GD instead of Celtic's + 1...

:smirk:

Blackwidow

Alaba 4-0 :drool:
His first CL goal. There is much too less hype for him. And Shaqiri's (1,69 m) first goal with the head after a cross from Gomez (that is probably first, too).

Was a difficult match with a somewhat B-team at the start as BATE parked the bus. 7 changes to Saturday's starting formation - but Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Kroos and Müller were playing and the last three got substituted for Dante, Alaba and Ribery during the second half.

Gomez scored his first CL goal this year in the first half. Then Boateng did a stupid and unnecessary foul in the opponent's half and got red. But Müller scored 4 minutes later and then it got easier.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

And if it wasn't for a Samaras dive you'd be in the draw for the Europa League. Still, Lennon's done well with the players at his disposal this time, particularly given how little possession they were able to retain during their six matches, and especially when you consider the strength of O'Neill's teams and their narrow failures at this stage.

rcoobc

Celtic: Through on 10 points.
Cluj: Out on 10 points.
Chelsea: Out on 10 points.
Shaktar: Through on 10 points.
Arsenal: Through on 10 points.

From 2009:

Panathonikos, through (1st) on 10 points.
Man Utd, through (1st) on 10 points.

10 points is very tangible.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
between the penalty that never was, the massive mistake at the first goal and the glaring chances missed by Benfica you'd have to say they got a large slice of luck. hopefully thats it all used up

The Neviller

I've said fair play and that's all you're fecking getting.

Anna_Livia

And if it wasn't for a Samaras dive you'd be in the draw for the Europa League. Still, Lennon's done well with the players at his disposal this time, particularly given how little possession they were able to retain during their six matches, and especially when you consider the strength of O'Neill's teams and their narrow failures at this stage.
ach c'mon Gio. Have a heart. Our run this season has lifted Scotland's co-efficient to its highest since 2007-8. That's a good thing for any Scottish club that isn't disqualified from European competitions for being deid.

We're all doing well - we're in the last 16 of the Champions League, you're in the last 16 of the Scottish League - there's an equivalence there, kind of. For a brand new club you're going great guns!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
We're doing well. Amazing that a brand new club has become the best supported club in Scotland so quickly, and somehow has the same strip, same stadium, same staff, many of the same players and same 140-year history as yon other club.

Anna_Livia

We're doing well. Amazing that a brand new club has become the best supported club in Scotland so quickly, and somehow has the same strip, same stadium, same staff, many of the same players and same 140-year history as yon other club.
142 days, isn't it?

Inspectah deck

Good job Celtic, thoroughly deserved to go through I think. The sixteen teams that progressed this year, bar two or three teams seem to be very strong. I honestly can see any of Bayern, Madrid, Juve, Utd, Barca, Dortmund getting to the Semi's this year.

Also just noticed Madrid have an 80% chance of playing one of Bayern, United, Juventus, and PSG, those are 4 of the 6 favourites left! Their one and only "weak" opponent is Schalke. Finishing second behind Dortmund can very well come back to haunt them, as I think any of those first 3 teams have at least a 40% chance of knocking them out.​

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

There were two this year. Malaga and Borussia Dortmund.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Going by empty seats you don't seem to be following the SPL either.
Remember Dundee United in the cup at Ibrox last season before administration lol?

Now that you've been dealt with I'll move on to what the thread is supposed to be about. The ultimate competition in European football where the big boys are hanging out.

What an achievement considering our budget and squad compared to some of the other sides in the tournament who've found themselves out or in the Europa. Bit lucky with the penalty decision but we've been unlucky countless times in Europe with referee's so it's about time we got something from a ref.

Hoping for Schalke or Malaga in the next round. Schalke especially. Probably our best bet compared to the likes of Bayern and Dortmund.

ITV's headline when the group stages were made:

Bye Bye City. Bye Bye Chelsea :D

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
not the brightest bunch are they :lol:
Are Dortmund really a 4th seed team? I haven't and won't give much thought to the whole "greatest 4th seed achievement" stuff because it's all about opinions and I couldn't care less either way. A squad containing Gotze, Reus, Lewandowski, Hummels and Gundogan progressing or a squad containing Samaras, Brown, Kelvin Wilson etc.

They had the tougher group, undoubtedly, but that's offset by the fact their squad is absolutely fantastic and ours isn't.