Champions League Gameweek 6 (11/12 December)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Expected goals which measures the quality of the chances. The 4 vs 3 chances were the shots on target which treat a sitter from 5 yards the same as a desperate attempt from 35 yards and are therefore not very meaningful, at least for a single match.
Are you on a wind-up?

A fecking chance is a chance, why do you have to get all technical about it?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
But they're cowards, though.

Okay, Liverpool were the better team. How'd that be?
Liverpool weren't that good and yet still much better than Napoli. This isn't about Liverpool though. Napoli were poor and Ancelotti was to blame.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm in the same boat, I've torn Sissoko to shreds in the past. He barely looked a footballer at times for us last season, just totally clumsy on the ball and even when he would manage a powerful run he would give it away 90% of the time. Probably one of the most frustrating players I've ever had to watch as a Spurs fan, but this season it's a different story .. either Pochettino has worked his magic, or Sissoko has just settled at the club now. Either way he's going to be so vital this season because without him coming good we'd look very light in midfield.

Winks has been great, he got quite a lot of criticism on here but there's always been a player there. He's now gone to the Bernabau and the Nou Camp and put in two very mature performances, he's a proper reliable central midfielder and I think will be starting for England at Euro 2020.
Winks with 71 passes and a 91.6% passing accuracy at the Nou Camp. Despite being taken off in the 82nd minute he made the most passes on the pitch.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool weren't that good and yet still much better than Napoli. This isn't about Liverpool though. Napoli were poor and Ancelotti was to blame.
I didn't watch but do you think it's possible that the Napoli players were simply overwhelmed by your press, with that combined with playing at Anfield simply preventing them from finding their rhythm?

It's easy to blame Ancelotti, but also possible that whatever he was saying was simply not happening on the pitch.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I didn't watch but do you think it's possible that the Napoli players were simply overwhelmed by your press, with that combined with playing at Anfield simply preventing them from finding their rhythm?

It's easy to blame Ancelotti, but also possible that whatever he was saying was simply not happening on the pitch.
Our press was good but not special. Many teams, Napoli at home included, easily found a way out of our traps. The players just didn't believe in themselves. Hardly crossed the half way line in dangerous numbers. Had they been encouraged to go out and score from the off they would have at least scored one and played with more confidence. We would have continued to miss sitters anyway as we did all night. But Ancelotti wasn't sure to gamble and play their natural game. It cost them.

Like I said above, we weren't anything special tonight. In defence, midfield or up front.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Winks with 71 passes and a 91.6% passing accuracy at the Nou Camp. Despite being taken off in the 82nd minute he made the most passes on the pitch.
He is going to be an important player for England in the next decade.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Great to see four ex-academy players from Spurs starting the game, playing against Barca in the Camp Nou … what a memorable night for them.

Rajma

I'm in the same boat, I've torn Sissoko to shreds in the past. He barely looked a footballer at times for us last season, just totally clumsy on the ball and even when he would manage a powerful run he would give it away 90% of the time. Probably one of the most frustrating players I've ever had to watch as a Spurs fan, but this season it's a different story .. either Pochettino has worked his magic, or Sissoko has just settled at the club now. Either way he's going to be so vital this season because without him coming good we'd look very light in midfield.

Winks has been great, he got quite a lot of criticism on here but there's always been a player there. He's now gone to the Bernabau and the Nou Camp and put in two very mature performances, he's a proper reliable central midfielder and I think will be starting for England at Euro 2020.
It’s almost as if managers can improve players, an unheard concept at Old Trafford.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Real, Porto or Bayern, please... Seems weird wanting Bayern & Real, but hey.
Dunno about Real but you'd absolutely murder the current Bayern team imho, they have zero pace outside of Gnabry and Coman who never usually start together.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs were lucky to have their game against an indifferent Barca
Most people didn’t give us any chance 12 hours ago, now we were lucky and should have got a result away at Barca, honestly you couldn’t make some statements up. If anything we were unlucky just to get a draw, I guess it’s all about perspective.

Anfieldroad

Supports
Liverpool
Most people didn’t give us any chance 12 hours ago, now we were lucky and should have got a result away at Barca, honestly you couldn’t make some statements up. If anything we were unlucky just to get a draw, I guess it’s all about perspective.
Spurs were excellent tonight and from what i saw of the highlights should have been out of sight,draw for knockout should be very interesting and can see at least 3 of the prem teams going through to quarter finals.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Stats aren't every thing. For example two of Mane's open goal missed chances were not registered as shots on target. You have to watch the game to see how poor Napoli really were. And it wasn't Liverpool's brilliant play alone that made the Napoli players cack their pants.
We turned in a last season high pressing performance just without the clinical edge. A lot of the chances we created were similar to last season and pretty clear cut. Very different performance to what we’ve seen this season.

Irrational.

Missed the second half, but complete and utter bottle job from Napoli, considering one goal would've done the trick. The ball was in their court and they spectacularly fluffed their lines.

Liverpool will believe they can get any kind of result against any team in the world at Anfield.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just seen the highlights of the Spurs game. How did they not win that game?! It was like a competition between Liverpool and Spurs to see who could miss the most sitters.

Impressive that Spurs salvaged that from an almost hopeless position.

Nadger

Supports
Spurs

Member 114837

Just seen the highlights of the Spurs game. How did they not win that game?! It was like a competition between Liverpool and Spurs to see who could miss the most sitters.

Impressive that Spurs salvaged that from an almost hopeless position.
Barcelona had fair few chances too, Coutinho hit the post twice. But Tottenham was on top in the second half and should have won the game comfortably.

For the bolded part, Mane could have had a hat-trick alone.

Cpt Negative

Not sure that's luck tbf, Liverpool were much the better team but didn't take their chances. On another day that could have been 3 - 5 nil.
Ospina dived out the way of the ball
Arguable red for VVD
Milik missing a last minute sitter

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It was odd that it was only at the end Napoli threw everything at us given they could afford to concede a goal in their quest for one themselves.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, with Napoli there's a proper team there. I obviously couldn't watch tonight but I think overall they were more impressive than Liverpool in the group, but had a couple of silly moments and that's the CL.
Exactly. Just unlucky and a bit naive. They will learn.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, with Napoli there's a proper team there. I obviously couldn't watch tonight but I think overall they were more impressive than Liverpool in the group, but had a couple of silly moments and that's the CL.
I didn't see Napoli beating PSG emphatically.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I didn't see Napoli beating PSG emphatically.
They should have done. Completely outplayed them in Naples, and were better against them away from home than you were.

You lost 3/4 of your away games, and Napoli killed you at the Sao Paolo, I don't even think you had a shot on target?

I only saw 2 games where you played well and that was PSG & Napoli at home. Overall I think Napoli were more consistent but it really doesn't matter, you made it through and your final performance was excellent.

BigRedScouser

Supports
Liverpool
Yep. Once i found out pre game a 1-0 would do it it was always happening.

Snuck through with three defeats.shocking.
3 wins/9 points is always enough to go through. Would have got you out of every group this year.

Apart from ours. Napoli unlucky they were in such a tough group with 3 evenly matched teams.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
3 wins/9 points is always enough to go through. Would have got you out of every group this year.

Apart from ours. Napoli unlucky they were in such a tough group with 3 evenly matched teams.
It's weird, I almost feel like it should be Liverpool/Napoli going through.

PSG did the job both games vs Belgrade, but against both of the strong teams in the group I thought they really failed to put in a dominant performance. Got totally bossed away from home both Liverpool & Napoli, and even at home struggled.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Well I think most people were on the fence depending on who Barca played. Against the B team you were always in with a shot.

Against Barca's best team no chance. They pretty much played you off the park for your home game. Which is not a slight on Spurs, Barca are simply on another level.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Any of the games tonight actually mean anything?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
That's something at least.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Looking forward to seeing this team

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Any of the games tonight actually mean anything?
I wouldn't be expecting much from the Valencia vs Unted match.

Jose will very likely rest the entire first team (whatever that is!) in preparation for the visit to a certain rivals ground on Sunday.

Last edited:

Sylar

I wouldn't be expecting much from the United vs Juve match.

Jose will very likely rest the entire first team (whatever that is!) in preparation for the visit to a certain rivals ground on Sunday.
We playing Juve again?