Champions League - GW5

the_cliff

Just some interesting stats:
PSG 32 shots Newcastle 5 shots
7 shots on target 2 shots on target (Both in the same sequence that led to their goal)
PSG 73% Possession Newcastle 27%

Exceptional performance from Newcastle didn't deserve the draw at all.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I find it so hard to imagine, how anyone thinks it's a good idea that it's a VARable handball offense if your hand touches the ball, no matter how naturally, no matter if it's deflected, no matter from how close a distance. It seems just like a tool to favour bigger teams against the logic of the game.

TheReligion

Abusive
In fairness I meant Manchester United in general aren't the draw they used to be, not the fixture itself.

It's hardly our cup final as it was described in the post I was replying to, haven't heard a single person mention it this week, tonight has had all the focus.
Yet here you are.

Your team comes in to some money and starts to compete and you find yourself on a United forum posting about Newcastle.

Funny that.

matys

The piss being boiled on BT! We won 5 out of 6 EL games, and only lost the other due to the Martinez handball, which meant a playoff against Barcelona. Literally nothing was said by anyone.
Yeah, but it's hardly a surprise, completely different circumstances. Our game was against mediocre Real Sociedad, they played with one of the biggest and richest clubs of the current era. We lost in the first matchweek, so had plenty of time to turn it around, they lost in 5th match in the 98th minute, which could practically means the end of them in the CL. They play in CL, we played in EL.

frostbite

Why do some posters complain about VAR today? The rule is clear, and VAR just followed the rule.

The same is true for those who complain about "one-inch offsides". What do you think was happening pre-VAR? It was just a random decision, since it was usually impossible for the referee to be sure in those cases.

In my opinion, VAR is an improvement. Sure, VAR still makes a few mistakes, but the referees used to make many more mistakes previously, and some of those mistakes we didn't even notice because often TV did not show us a replay since the game wasn't stopped. Now we watch a lot of replays, so it is magnified, but most of the time they get it right in the end.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Feyenoord must be annoyed they didn't get out of this group.

Andre Kagawa

How big a talent is Jamie Bynoe--Gittens anyway? Havn't watched him at all. Any chance we will get involved there?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why do some posters complain about VAR today? The rule is clear, and VAR just followed the rule.

The same is true for those who complain about "one-inch offsides". What do you think was happening pre-VAR? It was just a random decision, since it was usually impossible for the referee to be sure in those cases.

In my opinion, VAR is an improvement. Sure, VAR still makes a few mistakes, but the referees used to make many more mistakes previously, and some of those mistakes we didn't even notice because often TV did not show us a replay since the game wasn't stopped. Now we watch a lot of replays, so it is magnified, but most of the time they get it right in the end.
Nonsense but you do you

Fts 74

In fairness I meant Manchester United in general aren't the draw they used to be, not the fixture itself.

It's hardly our cup final as it was described in the post I was replying to, haven't heard a single person mention it this week, tonight has had all the focus.
Your right btw we're obviously not the force we were, but we're still a team everyone wants to beat and we'll always be a big draw, it was like that when I started following us in the 80s we we're crap then.
My response was more to do with this mythical rivalry we have with Newcastle.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How big a talent is Jamie Bynoe--Gittens anyway? Havn't watched him at all. Any chance we will get involved there?
At the moment he's pretty quick and looks like a great dribbler, but everything else about his game is still quite inconsistent. He only played about 1000 minutes for the first team though and he's 19, so hopefully he will mature quite a bit in the future.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
We were so close to witness Mbappe and co standing before the El anthem, a real shame.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hes still very raw. Quick, good dribbling, okay finishing, definitely needs to work on his passes and decision making.
So basically a very typical winger talent.

So far he only seems like a B- or C-tier talent to me though.

You probably should rather start watching Paris Brunner ;)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Hes still very raw. Quick, good dribbling, okay finishing, definitely needs to work on his passes and decision making.
So basically a very typical winger talent.

So far he only seems like a B- or C-tier talent to me though.

You probably should rather start watching Paris Brunner ;)
So watch the U17 World cup

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
CL handballs are just feckin daft.

The handball law in general is daft, and if they're going to keep it so it's daft then they should change the punishment to IDFK in the box unless it denies a goal bound shot.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
CL handballs are just feckin daft.

The handball law in general is daft, and if they're going to keep it so it's daft then they should change the punishment to IDFK in the box unless it denies a goal bound shot.
Something like this would make so much sense. But they will just carry on with it getting worse, thinking about how they can do 3 world cups in one year.

samlee86

Mate VAR isn't going anywhere, just have to accept it for what it is. The fact of the matter is like pre VAR the best teams still win due to their overall performance. Last season City was the best team in the league and they won the league. VAR isn't the reason Newcastle drew this game and isn't the reason we're sitting in 6th place, Newcastles performance wasn't good enough for a victory and our performances so far aren't good enough for 1st place. End of.
So basically you’re saying VAR has no impact on results over the course of a season.

Yet it has a horrible effect on the enjoyment of a single match. Goals can’t be celebrated until a lengthy VAR review is complete.

And they are still getting decisions wrong with VAR so it’s pointless.

Time to bin it

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Which part is "nonsense" in your opinion?
That the game has improved. If you prefer this version then that’s great for you. For me and many others VAR has absolutely killed my enjoyment of the game in a way I never expected. I knew it would be awful and it’s application wouldn’t really work in the fast and free flowing game of football, but even I never expected it to be brought in in this poor iteration designed just to protect the referees.

I said it in another thread the other day but I haven’t seen a game this season that VAR hasn’t impacted in some massive way and frankly I have disagreed with nearly every decision. This microanalysis of the rules was never the point and the rules themselves were never built for such scrutiny. So what do they do? Well they then try change the rules to suit VAR, only the people changing the rules are the same inept people who don’t fully understand their purpose. So what we get are rules like these ridiculous handballs in Europe (and afew in the Prem!). That’s just one of many examples of how VAR has fundamentally changed the laws of the game and made it 10x worse than it was before. Frankly I’m sick of it.

RoyH1

Dodgy penalty and 8 minutes of added time when Newcastle didn’t have any substitutions. Who owns PSG again?

PoTMS

I felt sorry for them until I remembered it's Newcastle. It couldn't have happened to a nicer team/fanbase.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That penalty, seriously what is going on with the game today

AnotherLondonManc

Which part is "nonsense" in your opinion?
It's nonsense because VAR should be under the scrutiny it's under. Most level headed fans will agree that it's better for the game, but can still complain when it does it's job poorly.

If we all just accept the poor descions, nothing will change. VAR needs to improve, and there's nothing controversial about saying so.

cyberman

Dodgy penalty and 8 minutes of added time when Newcastle didn’t have any substitutions. Who owns PSG again?
I was just thinking this. The only stoppages were the amount of corners but that’s not time wasting or needed adding on, that’s time the game accounts for

JogaBonitoRooney

They're owned by a state station who despite being rich and powerful, still isn't as rich and powerful as the one that owns Newcastle.

The bigger evil got hard done by so that's good.

RoyH1

They're owned by a state station who despite being rich and powerful, still isn't as rich and powerful as the one that owns Newcastle.

The bigger evil got hard done by so that's good.
The bigger evil as you call it doesn't (yet) have a seat as chairman of ECA

Lyng

When you park the bus you risk things happening in your penalty area.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
Such a small draw that you had cup final esque celebrations for beating us at home. :lol:
We do that every week mate, don't know if you noticed but we had a decade and a half of not winning very many games of football, it's still a novelty.

SonOfFergie

Much clearer rules are needed for handball decisions. For example this UEFA clarification that is the gripe here "no handball offence should be called on a player if the ball is previously deflected from his own body, and, in particular, when the ball does not go towards the goal" is not OK. Deflection shouldn't matter. Hand is in unnatural position. I would say if it didn't deflect the ball trajectory then wave it. If it significantly altered the balls trajectory then call it. Also then you can debate if the ball was going towards the goal or not etc. But much clearer rules could be made I think.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Expectation:
Reality: