Champions League Last 16 games - Feb/Mar 2015

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Well, neither Swansea nor Villa won their group in the Champions League or finished 2nd in their league last season only behind a team clearly superior to Arsenal.

I just don't understand how can someone say that Arsenal are clearly the better team when they've just been outclassed by Monaco in CL. It wasn't a flukey win.
They have better players and a better coach.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think you're overstating the difference a bit. Had Giroud taken any of the three chances we got, it would have been a different game altogether. What I'm trying to tell you is that we beat Man City 2-0 at the Etihad, and by all means "outclassed" them, but that doesn't make us the better team.
Yep but you got other platform to compare yourself against City (Premier League), the only way you can compare yourself against Monaco is Champions League and they've been better than you. I'm not saying they're a superior side, they might be not, I just find the statement 'Arsenal are clearly better than Monaco' a bit silly.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Yep but you got other platform to compare yourself against City (Premier League), the only way you can compare yourself against Monaco is Champions League and they've been better than you. I'm not saying they're a superior side, they might be not, I just find the statement 'Arsenal are clearly better than Monaco' a bit silly.
And I'd be the first one to agree with you about that.

It's a one-off game and we've been known to have extreme results on our off days. We're talking about the same team that lost 4-0 to Milan and then beat them 3-0 at home. I'm against making hyperbolic statements based on one games, so I think we should discuss this after the return leg.

Sarni

And I'd be the first one to agree with you about that.

It's a one-off game and we've been known to have extreme results on our off days. We're talking about the same team that lost 4-0 to Milan and then beat them 3-0 at home. I'm against making hyperbolic statements based on one games, so I think we should discuss this after the return leg.
Yeah, I won't say that Monaco are much better than Arsenal or anything of a sort, one off game isn't enough to warrant that but they're not 'clearly worse than Arsenal' either and if yesterday's game doesn't prove that nothing will. They've been a decent football team for a while and with players like Moutinho, Kondogbia and Berbatov it's not really a shock that they've managed to do pretty well against good European teams this season (Leverkusen, Benfica and Zenit are all all right teams, so are Arsenal). One of the most solid defensively teams in Europe this season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I was in the BayArena yesterday, Atletico were bad, Leverkusen were the better team, Atletico also a bit unlucky with the early substitutions they had to make.

And of course once I watch them Koke is out injured for a while :-(

At least I had a great view and it was still fun.

Don't know what to expect in the return leg, Atletico could either be in great form and win 3-0 / 3-1 or concede early which will most probably mean the tie is over.

Oh and Arsenal, haha: They never learn in Europe, do they? How can you play as regularly in Europe over the years as them but still somehow not make any progresses?

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I won't say that Monaco are much better than Arsenal or anything of a sort, one off game isn't enough to warrant that but they're not 'clearly worse than Arsenal' either and if yesterday's game doesn't prove that nothing will. They've been a decent football team for a while and with players like Moutinho, Kondogbia and Berbatov it's not really a shock that they've managed to do pretty well against good European teams this season (Leverkusen, Benfica and Zenit are all all right teams, so are Arsenal). One of the most solid defensively teams in Europe this season.
Teams like these tend to have a good run in the CL. Think Atletico last season and Arsenal from 2005-06. Monaco may just be the surprise package of this year's tournament, but this is the CL so anything can happen - they may capitulate completely against better opposition.

Sarni

I still think Atletico will do Leverkusen at home, comfortably so. 1-0 is a bitch of a result but Atletico could pull off a 3-0/4-0 home win if they play to their ability, and they do know how to motivate themselves. Then again I won't be shocked if they go out now.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I still think Atletico will do Leverkusen at home, comfortably so. 1-0 is a bitch of a result but Atletico could pull off a 3-0/4-0 home win if they play to their ability, and they do know how to motivate themselves. Then again I won't be shocked if they go out now.
How long is Koke out with his injury? Will he return for the 2nd leg? Without Godin, Thiago and Koke, I'm not so sure that they can easily get a 3-0/4-0. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 1-0 with extra-time and penalties or something like that. I'd say, Atletico are still slight favourites, but it should be an exciting game.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
They have better players and a better coach.
Wenger's record in the CL is pretty average to be honest. It's not that surprising that a young and talented coach with a history of fantastic defensive organisation gets the better of him in a game like that. Obviously Wenger has been an exceptional manager over his whole career, but as a pure tactician in a CL knockout tie? Nothing surprising about yesterday's game, not at all.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wenger's record in the CL is pretty average to be honest. It's not that surprising that a young and talented coach with a history of fantastic defensive organisation gets the better of him in a game like that. Obviously Wenger has been an exceptional manager over his whole career, but as a pure tactician in a CL knockout tie? Nothing surprising about yesterday's game, not at all.
Yes I'm sure most people predicted a Monaco win :wenger:

Arsene Wenger is a better coach than Leonardo Jardim. It's not even close tbh.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I wasn't talking about the result itself, but about the tactical set-ups from both managers and the quality of it. I wasn't surprised by that at all.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I wasn't talking about the result itself, but about the tactical set-ups from both managers and the quality of it. I wasn't surprised by that at all.
So you expected Arsenal to win but thought they'd be shite tactically? Arsenal set up to attack and Monaco set up to hurt them on the counter, anybody could have predicted that. Nobody could have predicted Giroud would miss three sitters ( ok maybe some would have predicted this ;) ), and Sanchez and Ozil should play terribly.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
So you expected Arsenal to win but thought they'd be shite tactically? Arsenal set up to attack and Monaco set up to hurt them on the counter, anybody could have predicted that. Nobody could have predicted Giroud would miss three sitters ( ok maybe some would have predicted this ;) ), and Sanchez and Ozil should play terribly.
Actually no, I expected a draw and Monaco to go through overall. They're an annoying team to play against and were severely underrated on the Caf.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Player quality is part of it, but it's mostly tactical. English football has largely ignored the tactical developments of the last half dozen years, especially in terms of collective pressing. You get a ridiculous amount of space in many PL games. Look at how much Southampton accomplish by employing a modern system; others need to do the same and that in combination with the money will make the PL more competitive in Europe once more.
This 100%.

As for Wenger, he's a very good coach, of course, but he's nothing special in Europe. His tactical nous is pretty poor.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thank you mate. Very consuming, it's theoretically easier than previous years (apart from the thesis) but the pressure of not failing at the final hurdles, after such a long road, is daunting.

Wales? I always assumed law would be a hard field to work outside your country. Good on you! Hope you pick up some accent :D.
It is and it isn't. It´s multinational has been tracking me for a while and white the conditions they are ofering i mind up ended in Wales. Stuck in Sonae for so long, i think i need a new level.
Anyway i hope you pull it off, so close for you do become doctor House and forget Porto :p

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think you're overstating the difference a bit. Had Giroud taken any of the three chances we got, it would have been a different game altogether. What I'm trying to tell you is that we beat Man City 2-0 at the Etihad, and by all means "outclassed" them, but that doesn't make us the better team.
Had Martial scored and Carrasco squared it then really it could also been more embarrassing. I don't think you can say Monaco are better than Arsenal on the basis of one match but they performed much better and were better organized in terms of tactics.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes thats because of their manager. @Sly knows more.
It was our previous manager. Picked up a team what finished 7th rehabilitated players like Rojo and William Carvalho and made us a very dfficult side to beat. Defensively we were the best defensive in the league although we didn't have the best players.Jardim's defensive organization is excellent and close to Mourinho's best work. I think he won't be at Mónaco for long unless they restart investing heavilly. He was the most important part of our football structure. Discet and hard work oriented. I think he will move to a bigger club soon.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Those are also a new thing. I don't remember him ever being injured at Sporting ( @Sly ?) and at Porto it was very rare as well.
We talking about Moutinho here right? Never had a big injury and is a very reliable player. That little engine can covered ground for hour. It's a great player and every manager like players him. Rarely reaches impressious level but it's very regular and a trully team player.

Ruht

First time Leverkusen have won a match in the last 16 in quite a while, right? Was a good performance by them and that goal was brilliant! I reckon they've got a chance of advancing if they stay organised in the return leg.

As for Arsenal, a 1:3 defeat at home has only been overturned three times if I'm not mistaken. Read it somewhere on twitter last night. Monaco have been very organised defensively, not sure if they would pull it off.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
In the CL? It's the first since their run to the final in 2002.
Weren't they in the 2nd group stage after their 2002 run to the final? That would be the equivalent of today's round of sixteen. I could be wrong though.

Lyricist

People keep mocking Leverkusen for their "bottling" and their "weak mentality" etc.
Yet Leverkusen have reached the round of 16 in each of their last CL campaigns. If you had to make a list of the 16 biggest clubs in Europe then surely Leverkusen wouldn't make that list. So despite them often losing to the big teams quite heavily they've overall done well to make it out of the group stages time and time again while leaving teams like Valencia, Shakhtar, Benfica, Zenit, Real Sociedad etc behind them. Also while they got destroyed by Barcelona, PSG, and United, they've also beaten Chelsea and now Atletico in recent years. I always wonder what some people expect from a team like them.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Why? Because they are mighty Arsenal who play in the great Premier League? They just lost 3-1 to them at home.
No, because Arsenal have a better team. Any team can lose to any team. We lost to Swansea the other day, but I don't think Swansea are better than us. Monaco deserved to win there is no doubt about that, but on paper Arsenal have got to be the better team, imo at least, compared to Monaco.
I doubt it though. Can we score three against them away? Unlikely. We don't have the genius of Henry that got us the 5-1 win at San Siro. I think that hilarious third goal conceded in injury time killed the tie. At 2-1 we'd have had a chance. 3 away goals is too big a mountain to climb IMHO.
I agree it won't be easy. But if Arsenal can nick a goal in the first 15-20 minutes, suddenly the momentum will shift and things could get interesting.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Weren't they in the 2nd group stage after their 2002 run to the final? That would be the equivalent of today's round of sixteen. I could be wrong though.
They were and lost all 6 games ;).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
People keep mocking Leverkusen for their "bottling" and their "weak mentality" etc.
Yet Leverkusen have reached the round of 16 in each of their last CL campaigns. If you had to make a list of the 16 biggest clubs in Europe then surely Leverkusen wouldn't make that list. So despite them often losing to the big teams quite heavily they've overall done well to make it out of the group stages time and time again while leaving teams like Valencia, Shakhtar, Benfica, Zenit, Real Sociedad etc behind them. Also while they got destroyed by Barcelona, PSG, and United, they've also beaten Chelsea and now Atletico in recent years. I always wonder what some people expect from a team like them.
They have a tendency to hilariously feck up games and ties they could win though. It's true that their overall results in Europe are pretty decent if you look at their finances.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I predict 1-1 away when they met again. Doubt Wenger will tactially outwitt Jardim. Best they can hope it's some individual efforts from Arsenal´s superior player. God how i miss Jardim. He never had a change of meeting the president's new wife :drool:

anchan1989

For me that was a more shocking result tonight.
Amazing assist by Bellarabi and great goal by Calhanoglu too :drool:
But Leverkusen are Leverkusen......they could easily lose 5-0 against Atletico in 3 weeks.
:lol:
Cant you understand irony and a little joke about the constant manager search in any club?
Then Im sorry.
I thought that anyone could come to the conclusion that I meant a Schmidt, who has 2 or 3 years under his belt with the hype around him starting in the near future.
Again. Should have thought of you. ;)

anchan1989

Yeah. Some of that comes from their weak mental attitude against big sides in the past. When they represented the Bundesliga and really fu**** up.
You can lose against Barca and PSG. And some days you get a 7:1 or a 4:0. But you really got the feeling that some of the players never tried.
So I get the anger. But there is a limit.
Every team fu**s up and the club had good past season. So Im with you. People like @Balu are just mean. Laughing at a hard working team? No.
I for one really hope that Bayer sees the potential and keeps the money going. That team deserves it.

@Sly: Hey man. All fine? Your view on Sporting Wolfsburg? My hint; 3 men on Dost. :D

VP

How can you say that with such confidence? Jardim's just 40 and could easily turn out to be the better coach.

Lyricist

Yeah, obviously I also see where the mocking is coming from. It's quite obvious which games hurt Bayer's reputation the most. But I just don't agree with the opinion that Bayer always represents Germany badly. They play to their own strengths and are getting just about as far as they can which should be viewed positively in my opinion. It's simply tainted by their disappointing games against big teams recently which has led to mocking them becoming some kind of internet trend...to the point where people think they actually never do anything good.

People like @Balu are just mean.
When I said ">some< people keep mocking Leverkusen" I never meant anyone in specific, especially not specifically Balu whom I respect as a poster very much. I literally meant some people.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
When I said ">some< people keep mocking Leverkusen" I never meant anyone in specific, especially not specifically Balu whom I respect as a poster very much. I literally meant some people.
For some reason @anchan1989 believes I hate Leverkusen, even though I probably spent more time defending Leverkusen's and Schalke's results and performances in Europe than anyone else on the Caf and regularly react if someone calls them shit. They do deserve to be mocked for some of their hilarious feck-ups though. It's way too much fun to look past it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
How can you say that with such confidence? Jardim's just 40 and could easily turn out to be the better coach.

I said is meaning in the present.

The possibility exists but I am skeptical. Wenger when all is said and done will have a statue outside the Emirates and will be regarded as an all time great in the premier league at least. Jardim has a long way to go.

NoPace

Leverkusen were very good and pressed well, but it's tough to see a front 6 so young and so offensively oriented not having trouble away in a CL tie. Spahic was brilliant at times yesterday, but away might be a different story.

Atletico missed Koke, too. They couldn't keep the ball against the Leverkusen press enough to even start up counters or create chances off of their weird triangles in the corners between striker, winger and fullback on that right side.

I would think Simeone will keep it tight and not panic for a half or even an hour. Should be fascinating.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Cant you understand irony and a little joke about the constant manager search in any club?
Then Im sorry.
I thought that anyone could come to the conclusion that I meant a Schmidt, who has 2 or 3 years under his belt with the hype around him starting in the near future.
Again. Should have thought of you. ;)
Schmidt is the most over-rated coach in europe in the last years.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

He is a better manager overall but in setting up defensive schemes Wenger stands no chance. Jardim is a much better coach than Wenger. Look at what he's doing with an often
injured 37 year old Carvalho, Wallace, Fabiano, Raggi or Kurzawa. It's a matter of time till Leonardo Jardim moves to a bigger club after Olympiakos, Sporting and Mónaco.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
How can one categorically affirm that? You're very possibly right, but Jardim has been manager for about 10 years, starting it in the hardest possible way (climbing from the lowest of lowest divisions, without ever being a player) and has done well almost every season, and extremely well in about half of them, fulfilling more than the required objectives.

Jardim is effectively starting his career at the highest level, whilst Wenger's noticeable accomplishments were more than 10 years ago. The almost unanimous opinion around here seems to be that he has under-performed since then. And we're talking about present, right? Not accumulated achievements.

It's not easy being objective in a case like this. I guess the only way to see it would be if Leonardo Jardim picked the reins at Arsenal or a smilar club. Could he do better than what Wenger has done recently? I don't think this is in any "guessable", but I don't see any reason, by what I know of Jardim's career, to bet either way. And if he indeed did better, wouldn't that make him a better coach? If you think such a thing is impossible to envision I'd like to know why. I can't see Jardim doing better than Mourinho, Guardiola of Simeone of course. But I can't exclude him doing better than Wenger, whom most neutrals seem to think is outdated and no longer a top manager.