Champions League | Matchday 6

432JuanMata

This is just untrue, Brighton have some great players, one of the best defences in the premier league last season, Lamptey, Cucurella, Bissouma, Dunk, Trossard to name just a few are far from woeful. We have a good side, a good chairman and a good manager at the moment.
Yeah but from last season they lost White and replaced him with Duffy. Look at Brighton whole squad it’s nothing special and the impressive thing Potter does is the way he gets them playing. xG last season didn’t move any team more than 2 places from their actual position bar Brighton who should of been 7 places better off.

They were the most wasteful team in the league I remember them against Palace and they had 21 shots too Palace 2 with Palace having 3 touches in Brighton box and winning 1-0 really summed up Brighton.

Potter is doing a great job there and if he left they be in trouble, Bissouma is class but the rest you named are just decent PL players and they are Brighton’s best

432JuanMata

Why wasn't DBryne tackle not a RED? Same tackles as in Euros were RED as was AWB in YB game . Strange one
Was mostly the same and obviously was a accident but the thing I hate the most is the inconsistency because if AWB is red then the same challenges have to have the same result

largelyworried

Such a strange game. City absolutely dominated them...except for the 2 goals. Have to ask what they were doing letting Messi run at them like that, he was anonymous otherwise and everybody knows thats his favourite way to score.

Good result for everybody really. City look neutered without a striker, and PSG were second rate for most of it. Both easily beatable.
Not sure I’d say easily beatable, but the lack of a striker is definitely an issue for them. In games against poor to average teams they’re banging them in (already scored 5 twice and 6 twice). But in tougher games they’re struggling (3 games where they haven’t scored). No matter how much you dominate the game, you still need individual quality to make the difference when it’s tight.

432JuanMata

Such a strange game. City absolutely dominated them...except for the 2 goals. Have to ask what they were doing letting Messi run at them like that, he was anonymous otherwise and everybody knows thats his favourite way to score.

Good result for everybody really. City look neutered without a striker, and PSG were second rate for most of it. Both easily beatable.
Both easily bearable ? For who may I ask ? PSG Defense and midfield worked excellent not one bad performance between the 7 and City on another day could of won but both are better than most if not everyone in the CL

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
the rest you named are just decent PL players
So we agree then, they're not a woeful team. No one is claiming we're a team full of world beaters, but the narrative that Brighton are a crap team with crap players but made amazing purely by Potter's tactics is ignorant and annoying.

A huge amount of work has gone in behind the scenes at Brighton to get us where we are today and though Potter is an important part of that and a good manager, to put it all at his door shows a complete lack of knowledge about Brighton as a club.

432JuanMata

So we agree then, they're not a woeful team. No one is claiming we're a team full of world beaters, but the narrative that Brighton are a crap team with crap players but made amazing purely by Potter's tactics is ignorant and annoying.

A huge amount of work has gone in behind the scenes at Brighton to get us where we are today and though Potter is an important part of that and a good manager, to put it all at his door shows a complete lack of knowledge about Brighton as a club.
I just meant that Brighton even when they were near the relegation zone near the end of last season were the best footballing side in the bottom half for me but still don’t have many stand out players and the level the team plays at is excellent. It’s not all Potter but I think if he left Brighton be way worse off.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's ironic, given Rio's argument of winning trophies and Suarez not winning any that one amazing season, that Salah's statistical best season (first, 60 goals plus assists in 52 games) Liverpool didn't win anything as well.

Sylar

Salah takes pens for Pool. Suarez didn't. Gerrard scored 10 goals from pens alone that season.
Do they suddenly not count?

Regardless to call Rio stupid for choosing Salah over Suarez is quite something

I was thinking he said something mind blowing before you posted the video

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

His arguments were quite dumb to be frank, especially when Owen started talking about Suarez's great season, which I think the discussion was over (which player would you want for one season), and Rio said he didn't win anything. Well Salah didn't win anything in his one season that can even compete with Suarez's.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Imagine if they didn't count goals against Norwich, Suarez would probably be short around 10 goals for Liverpool in every season he was there.

Sylar

His arguments were quite dumb to be frank, especially when Owen started talking about Suarez's great season, which I think the discussion was over (which player would you want for one season), and Rio said he didn't win anything. Well Salah didn't win anything in his one season that can even compete with Suarez's.
Rio didn't present himself well, that I won't disagree with. Owen came off better in making a case.
Both had good seasons statistically. As I said I wouldn't argue either way as it's not like one blows the other out completely

Imagine if they didn't count goals against Norwich, Suarez would probably be short around 10 goals for Liverpool in every season he was there.
I never understand the 'x amount of goals are penalties' argument
Penalties are high pressure moments that get to the best of players as we saw on the weekend (and weekend before)
You can always flip the argument and say Suarez didn't have the bottle as a striker to take penalties, not that I agree with that

Anyway yeah, feck Liverpool

Today vs Villarreal, hopefully we get points and it's not the usual 0-0 or 1-1 draw

Deery

Dreary
It would be easy to say Suarez because he was phenomenal in that season but Mo was also extremely good in the CL run Liverpool had, I’d say there’s very little between them only Suarez was probably the more eye catching.

Offside!

Supports
Exeter City

Such a strange take.

'Easily beatable' by who ?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I never understand the 'x amount of goals are penalties' argument
Penalties are high pressure moments that get to the best of players as we saw on the weekend (and weekend before)
You can always flip the argument and say Suarez didn't have the bottle as a striker to take penalties, not that I agree with that
Because penalties have absolutely nothing to do with being a good attacker. One of the best takers in Bundesliga history was a goal keeper. Most teams even have several players who can take them. Stat providers even categorize between non penalty goals and pens.

Sylar

Because penalties have absolutely nothing to do with being a good attacker. One of the best takers in Bundesliga history was a goal keeper. Most teams even have several players who can take them. Stat providers even categorize between non penalty goals and pens.
Yes but part of being a player is how well you deal with pressure situations
Missing a one on one is not remembered as much as missing a penalty

I assume the question wasn't who would you have if penalties were not a thing
Both had really good seasons individually and to call somebody stupid for either a) picking one above the other (as if we're comparing heskeys best season to Messis best season) or b) not being able to articulate an argument as well as somebody else is bizarre

It would be easy to say Suarez because he was phenomenal in that season but Mo was also extremely good in the CL run Liverpool had, I’d say there’s very little between them only Suarez was probably the more eye catching.
This is fair and as a neutral? (I mean as I said fck Liverpool and their players) I wouldn't go massively one way or another when just looking at on field performances (and removing any cntish thing either player did)

Deery

Dreary
This is fair and as a neutral? (I mean as I said fck Liverpool and their players) I wouldn't go massively one way or another when just looking at on field performances (and removing any cntish thing either player did)
Well as neutral as a United fan can be, I don’t really care for either but Salah is proving to be an exceptional player so consistent.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The PSG-City first half was otherworldly good football, Brazil 1982 level, but trophies are not won in September. City should really go for a striker in January, and Pep might have hit just another stinker as a manager with not taking Ronaldo in last month, as the perfect poacher for his latest (possibly last...) tiki taka instalment. I am not sure peak City would beat peak PSG, though... PSG was still missing Ramos and, if you want, Wynaldum in the middle... and in spite of that, they just strolled all game, making an exemplary, still toothless City look like a glorified Shakhtar Donetsk. They seem so vastly superior, at individual level.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The PSG-City first half was otherworldly good football, Brazil 1982 level, but trophies are not won in September.
Was it? I watched it with a friend and we got so bored by it that we switched to the simulcast after the first half.

Both easily bearable ? For who may I ask ? PSG Defense and midfield worked excellent not one bad performance between the 7 and City on another day could of won but both are better than most if not everyone in the CL
City are arguably in a worse position than they were last season. They've strengthened an area where they weren't weak and they lack somebody to put the ball in the net.

If they had a striker they would have hammered PSG, who short of one Messi run and a couple of defenders playing out of their skins couldn't get into the game.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
So if he touched the ball but then severed the other guy's leg, or plain shot him in the head, is it still a yellow?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City are arguably in a worse position than they were last season. They've strengthened an area where they weren't weak and they lack somebody to put the ball in the net.

If they had a striker they would have hammered PSG, who short of one Messi run and a couple of defenders playing out of their skins couldn't get into the game.
They wouldn't have, this is pure speculation.

They are just really bad finishers.

Siorac

They wouldn't have, this is pure speculation.

They are just really bad finishers.
But if they had a really prolific and deadly striker - a great finisher -, they probably would have done better last night.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So if he touched the ball but then severed the other guy's leg, or plain shot him in the head, is it still a yellow?
Think it depends. Does the bullet stay in? Or does it go in and out. It's only a red if it hits the brain AFAIK.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I believe in MLS they call that standing your ground, but in Europe it's up to the ref to decide.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's going on with Fassnacht? Is he injured? A big blow for Young Boys.