Champions League | Matchday 6

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Seems like Juventus might end up winning the group instead of Chelsea.

For how bad they look in Serie A, they sure look a like different team in Europe, wouldn't surprise if they go far in the competition.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Benfica really have no idea how to defend against long balls, do they? :lol:

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Ole says feck it and rips up the tactic book. 5 at the back ditched through Varane's injury, brings on Greenwood before conceding the 2nd goal, VDB and Sancho subs on 86 mins. It's do or die! :houllier:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

For how bad they look in Serie A, they sure look a like different team in Europe, wouldn't surprise if they go far in the competition.
They still have to come to the Bridge, but yeah, they do look very solid in Europe.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Still a bit up in the air. Chelsea only need to win by 2 goals to go above them. A bit of an ask but not out of the question.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Got to give it to Ronaldo. No one in football history can score a goal like that guy can.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What's happened to Maguire? Thought he had a solid Euro's but he looks like a mistake waiting to happen every time he plays now.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Got to give it to Ronaldo. No one in football history can score a goal like that guy can.
Incredible goal. I so love these goals. Brilliant result for Utd too. Should get through now. Ole must be back in the owners' good books. Hopefully, as I can't bear cheering on Utd in any more games. :nervous:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
What's happened to Maguire? Thought he had a solid Euro's but he looks like a mistake waiting to happen every time he plays now.
England kept very compact in the Euro's. Had a low line and two DM's to not expose the CB's

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am so exhausted. I love Ole, alright manager but not more than that unfortunately. And he isn’t improving. Please can we make a change after the City game. It’s better for my health if we are either great or really bad, but no jo-jo anymore.

On a different note the German commentator on DAZN said today would have been our 150th CL win and no other English club has achieved this. RM, Barca and Bayern have more wins.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I can’t stand him, but Ronaldo is something else.

chris123

BT saying we qualify with a win against Young Boys, am I missing something?

Atalanta could still win both their games, and Villarreal beat us by a greater GD than at OT and we're out?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
BT saying we qualify with a win against Young Boys, am I missing something?

Atalanta could still win both their games, and Villarreal beat us by a greater GD than at OT and we're out?
Yeah looks like you're right

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
wow, i think united would be already out if the games lasted like 85 minutes... yet they are in the 1st position... hahaha.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course, Atalanta are neither Bayern Munich nor Barcelona, and you can always sense they are going to lose in the very end because they tire a lot after running so much, but playing open, legit games against all the truly best sides in international football is testament to the exceptional work the club and the manager are doing from that small city Bergamo. Add the big €€€ they are doing from the transfer market, the updated stadium, the ongoing effort to keep going, and that’s clearly the biggest story in Italian football, at club level, since 2018.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That's quite balanced. United beating Young Boys should see them through unless Atalanta beat Villarreal and then what...Villarreal & Atalanta both win on the final match day?
Any loss to Villarreal means United will almost certainly finish behind them in the group, unless they thrash Young Boys. The away goals rule has been abolished for head-to-head tiebreakers too, so United at best will be level on points with Villarreal, but either behind on H2H GD, or tied on H2H GD but behind on overall GD.

For United, a loss to Villarreal and Atalanta winning their final two means United are all but out. If United can avoid defeat against Villarreal, a win against Young Boys gives them the group. I’m gonna laugh if we get a 3-way tie on 9 points at the top, which would favour United given they would have picked up the most points in that 3-way.

538 have United as 85% to qualify, but I don’t see it. If Villarreal beat United, they are all but qualified and Atalanta should then be more fancied to beat them on the final day.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Any loss to Villarreal means United will almost certainly finish behind them in the group, unless they thrash Young Boys. The away goals rule has been abolished for head-to-head tiebreakers too, so United at best will be level on points with Villarreal, but either behind on H2H GD, or tied on H2H GD but behind on overall GD.

For United, a loss to Villarreal and Atalanta winning their final two means United are all but out.

538 have United as 85% to qualify, but I don’t see it. If Villarreal beat United, they are all but qualified and Atalanta should then be more fancied to beat them on the final day.
We need to win against villareal. If we set out for a draw we will lose and we'll screw up the final game against young boys because of the intense pressure. If we had not fecked around and beat young boys we would have qualified today.

cyberman

For United, a loss to Villarreal and Atalanta winning their final two means United are all but out. If United can avoid defeat against Villarreal, a win against Young Boys gives them the group.

Say Villarreal beats us by one goal and it’s 5-0 on GD. Then a 2-0 Atalanta win means we need a 3 goal win v YB at home right? Doesn’t seem that impossible with YB already out in that scenario

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We need to win against villareal. If we set out for a draw we will lose and we'll screw up the final game against young boys because of the intense pressure. If we had not fecked around and beat young boys we would have qualified today.
Well, mathematically we don’t, but I understand the sentiment. If you play for a point, you’ll often get none, so we do need to go there looking to win as you say.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Say Villarreal beats us by one goal and it’s 5-0 on GD. Then a 2-0 Atalanta win means we need a 3 goal win v YB at home right? Doesn’t seem that impossible with YB already out in that scenario
Lose to Villareal by more than a single goal and we 100% finish behind them, so the scoreline against Young Boys would make no difference (even including niche scenarios involving a 3-way tie of teams in 2nd on 7 points, as we’d be out there too).

Lose by a single goal to Villarreal and you are correct. Our home record has been so indifferent for years now though that I would struggle to feel confident of getting a heavy win, even with Young Boys guaranteed bottom. I think I’d be more checking my phone for news from Bergamo and Villarreal getting a point. I guess it would still setup an exciting Matchday 6 full of hope! We know how that turned out last season though.

cyberman

Lose to Villareal by more than a single goal and we 100% finish behind them, so the scoreline against Young Boys would make no difference (even including niche scenarios involving a 3-way tie of teams in 2nd on 7 points, as we’d be out there too).

Lose by a single goal to Villarreal and you are correct. Our home record has been so indifferent for years now though that I would struggle to feel confident of getting a heavy win, even with Young Boys guaranteed bottom. I think I’d be more checking my phone for news from Bergamo and Villarreal getting a point. I guess it would still setup an exciting Matchday 6 full of hope! We know how that turned out last season though.
Maybe, I just can’t see YB putting up much of a fight if we score the first goal. Who knows, Atalanta looks like bottlers anyway and Villarreal will have lost their coach by then.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Maybe, I just can’t see YB putting up much of a fight if we score the first goal. Who knows, Atalanta looks like bottlers anyway and Villarreal will have lost their coach by then.
Yeah, maybe 538’s odds are fair. We do have quite a few routes to still qualify.

I really don’t want to go down the route of relying on Villarreal to get a point in Bergamo or needing to give Young Boys a pasting, when we will likely make hard work of even beating them. At least the Young Boys match is only sandwiched between Palace at home and Norwich away.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Cristiano singlhandedly keeping united in the CL :eek:

Also, the best who ever done it

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Strangely looking forward to another Ajax masterclass tonight. Can they spank Dortmund in front of their gelbe wand I wonder.

Ugh I feel dirty just saying this. Ajax bad, Ajax baaaaaaaaad.

Not only am I a fake Dutchman, I'm a fake Feyenoorder too.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Strangely looking forward to another Ajax masterclass tonight. Can they spank Dortmund in front of their gelbe wand I wonder.

You're a no-gouda disgrace of your people, curse your tulips

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Happy to see Dybala back and enjoying his offensive game again, together with Chiesa, Morata and McKennie. He is no Ronaldo for sure, but he is also on 1/4 Ronnie’s wages… get three more Dybalas in the midfield and defence, and we can start breathing again with a purpose. There is no realistic hope we make a very deep run in the CL, but neither we did much in the last three years.

You can see first hand how Ronaldo is such an addictive player at this stage of his career, he does nothing but saving your ar*e in dramatic fashion, and you feel over the moon, in love. He is the Diane Kruger of football, really. :lol: As any addiction, though, you enjoy the ride while it lasts, until it lasts, then wake up a mess, broke and with your house full of smoke.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

You're the kind of guy, who watches Feyenoord games in a new Berghuis jersey aren't you? "I just bought it, because I love Bob Marley, guys!" Disgusting.