Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

DRM

Yeah, scored from a counter attack and a set piece to win an otherwise close game and we rewrote history to make it sound like they absolutely killed us.
Football more often than not is a subjective game. No need to get so upset when someone has a different view from yours.

tomaldinho1

This is what the Cl is all about - can't wait.

If ever a test to see where we are against one of the consistently elite teams in Europe, this is is it. If nothing else, this might make us start trying to at least control possession because we can't try and sit/counter Barca - they're just too good.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Let’s put it this way. Barcelona are not happy to have drawn us

Eric7C

It depends. I've seen Barcelona struggle plenty with teams that press them high up the pitch and play aggressively. We will sit deep though.
I haven't watched them at all this season. Which games are you referring to?

UncleBob

Let’s put it this way. Barcelona are not happy to have drawn us
Ideally they would've wanted Porto or Ajax, everyone wanted to avoid Manchester City, Liverpool and Juventus.

We're stuck in the mid, not ideal but not exactly one of the best teams either

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Football more often than not is a subjective game. No need to get so upset when someone has a different view from yours.
Your view is shit, though - that's why he's upset about it.

SAFMUTD

I think its he hardest team we could get...suposed to be luck by somehow the favorites City, Barca, Liverpool and Juve won’t face themselves.... pure bullshit

Still anything can happen, we managed to turn around the PSG draw so maybe we will see another miracle.

tomaldinho1

Reading back through this thread the negativity is astounding, it's been ages since we've even seen a CL QF and yet we're throwing our toys out the pram because we got arguably the best team.

In reality - we want these big European nights so I'm happy we have missed the other PL teams & Barca or Juve were my top choice. Only way you get better as a team is by playing the best and, whilst we will be underdogs, we're in the fight.

To put it into perspective a couple of years ago, in our most successful season post SAF trophy-wise, we were gearing up to play Anderlecht in the QFs of the Europa....

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Have to take our chances, it’s the only way. Can’t have Lukaku or Rashford missing any sitters. Got to do what we did against PSG, 3 shots 3 goals type performance.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah, sorry, I’m normally optimistic but it almost felt inevitable that we’d be screwed in the draw.

I guess we’ve had the miracle of Paris, maybe Lady Luck will shine on us again in Barcelona.

I wonder how Barca fans feel about drawing United? Surely pretty happy I’d imagine?
I think it was the more the fact you gave us no chance against Barcelona whilst also saying City or Liverpool will the win the trophy.

Couldn't be more negative :lol:

I mean that could all happen you're right, but I prefer to ignore it until it happens and just hope we can pull something special off.

Melville Red

Be interesting to see how we perform against the supposedly best football team in the world.

Lots of negativity on here but I’m not betting against us, I’m not betting on us either because I don’t bet but I am looking forward to it.

Zoo

One good thing is that it would be hugely surprising if they designated someone to man-mark Pogba like PSG did.

We need to go for it at OT: use the crowd, play with tempo and try to get a positive result because at the Nou Camp they are capable of blowing any team away. There is no point trying to be cautious at home.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It is a bit annoying though when people are shitting on their favourite team on purpose to make them look inferior. Some of our fan base on here has been doing that for a while and reactions to our losses are the prime example of that.

Patrick08

Have to take our chances, it’s the only way. Can’t have Lukaku or Rashford missing any sitters. Got to do what we did against PSG, 3 shots 3 goals type performance.
I'd start martial and Rashford up top with lingard amongst the mix as well.

Pretty certain Barca fans would be happy with the draw and with good reason.We're looking heavy legged recently,understandably with the new emphasis on a higher tempo and of course injuries.
It should be a good spectacle, though I think we're going to get walloped in at least one of these games.:(

Minimalist

Being negative about this tie is depressing in of itself.

Everything after shitcoat is a bonus to me. Ole is doing a great job and I’ve no doubt we’ll run them close if Barca do win over two legs. Just enjoy it for fcuk sake. Some of you get on like we’ve been winning titles for the last 5 years. What are you comparing this to?

I promise it’ll be more enjoyable than that pathetic Sevilla defeat last season.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't see anything but us getting a fecking... I was so sure we were going to draw Liverpool

TheNextNo7

im furious, not at the draw because anything is possible and this could be the making of this set of players.
But the way in which we were determined to play at home first, wtf is that about?
I fail to see how domestic finishes last season has got to do with the Champions League draw, if anything we should get preference because you know, we won it 3 times to their 0. Or maybe just do a seperate draw that takes what, 10 seconds?
UEFA logic as usual,absolute BS

TRUERED89

I'm a little frustrated because we've been getting the hardest draws all season, however we haven't had Barca at OT for 11 years now, since Scholesy's screaming winner. Its going to be a special night. I hope our lads can keep Messi, Dembele & Rat face relatively quiet. We should have our main starters all fit by then too! BELIEVE!!

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brilliant- First our defence silences Mbappe and now Dembele . I honestly feel sorry that these young players are going to be traumatized by being pocketed by one of our defender's for the rest of their lives.

Plus, we have the ultimate showdown to decide the GOAT to look forward to. Would have liked it later in the competition, but well Barca fans will not be left with excuses when Jesse runs rings around them over two legs

Minimalist

Reading back through this thread the negativity is astounding, it's been ages since we've even seen a CL QF and yet we're throwing our toys out the pram because we got arguably the best team.

In reality - we want these big European nights so I'm happy we have missed the other PL teams & Barca or Juve were my top choice. Only way you get better as a team is by playing the best and, whilst we will be underdogs, we're in the fight.

To put it into perspective a couple of years ago, in our most successful season post SAF trophy-wise, we were gearing up to play Anderlecht in the QFs of the Europa....
Just seen your post. Thank Christ. Baffled by the negativity after the draw.

Honestly, they were absolute garbage against PSG, will be interesting to read what EV apologists have to say if they somehow win against us.
We can beat Man Utd pretty easily if we restrict Pogba as the other midfielders are gash when it comes to being creative. The front 3 won't have enough balls to threaten our defence if Pogba is taken out of the game.
Barca fans quite confident on the barcaforum.

bondsname

No matter how this game goes, I can't help but to think this is the perfect scenario for Ole on his road to become a great manager. The experience and the lessons, while still relatively young for a coach, it's perfect. He will learn from this fixture regardless of result.

I'm not saying Ole has been bad so far, in fact he has been fantastic, but these types of challenges will make him even better at his job.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yep. These draws are what we are in the CL for and it makes it all the sweeter if we pull it off. Shows our players the level we have to get to if we dont. Getting to the final off the back of an easy draw doesnt mean much if you get spanked in the final anyway.

Of course, its annoying when you have hard as feck draws from the start like our FA cup draws, but for the CL knockout rounds, no complaints. Looking forward to the games even though it might be the end of the line for us.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think we ll put on a better show than people think. Don't forget we bullied Real over two legs when they and Ronnie were at their peak. Granted we also had a prime RvP - but still - its a team sport. We ll just have to hope for World Cup Messi rather than club Messi.

Gator Nate

No matchup is ideal. Even Porto had to do things right to make it this far. Every team deserves to be there and is playing top-notch football.

Ole is playing with house money at this point. Balls-to-the-wall from here on out. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Cantonagotmehere

Just can't see this happening Barcelona could win playing in 2nd gear over two legs, I feel like we will have to play two worldies to go through.

I still think there's question over the teams mentality in big games and I don't mean domestically, we can point towards Juventus and PSG results but we had a fortune of luck in both games. We got played off the park vs PSG at home it was embarrassing. I've yet to see one our main players grab the opportunity to shine on big stages, Rashford, Martial and even Pogba have been subdued (Pogba with exception of his hatrick at City). Surprisingly Lingard to me seems to be the only player who can put in a good 7/10 in crucial fixtures, he's not as talented as our other forwards but he has a very good temperament never seems overshadowed by the gravity of an occasion.

This type of game is a season or two early for us, its not the strongest Barcelona side in recent history but they have a philosophy and a very composed team with quality and experience. Like any opinion I could be completely wrong, on paper we have a chance but the players application is what's important
Not saying you are wrong about all of the above, but the 3 injuries at home vs PSG make that one a tough example to rip on the team.

Patrick08

Barca fans quite confident on the barcaforum.
They are analysing this just on psg performance. These are the games where players like mata and lingard can be handy as well creative wise. Also they not a top pressing side like some others out there. We will have our moments I am sure we have to take it when they come.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I just want us to be competitive. Don't want a ridiculous scoreline.

Cantonagotmehere

Yeah, scored from a counter attack and a set piece to win an otherwise close game and we rewrote history to make it sound like they absolutely killed us.
And we had 3 (really 4) injuries and forced subs.....It amazes me how this is forgotten by so many when referring to that game.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Playing the second leg away is a huge disadvantage especially against Barca. Anyway, let's give it a go and hopefully we won't be embarrassed.
Brother, our away games are the club's specialty. It's better to play at home first with this United.