Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
They are analysing this just on psg performance. These are the games where players like mata and lingard can be handy as well creative wise. Also they not a top pressing side like some others out there. We will have our moments I am sure we have to take it when they come.
They’re also forgetting we had 10 injuries

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I love your optimism BUT Smalldini and the Ice Man will have to have the game of their lives against Messalona.
Herrera to man mark Messi and chat with him in Spanish all game to distract him! But yeah it's gonna be tough. Just have to keep our concentration levels up. On their day both Smalling and Lindelof are as good as anyone imo. If it's our day, it's our day!

Pogba will shoot a few rockets and put them on the back foot :drool:

Yes it was clean. We got outplayed but that's what I meant by revenge. It's time for us to outplay them and show them who's boss! Also, among fans I've had years and years of Barca supporters telling me how shit we are compared to them.
Well its harsh but kinda true.:(

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Carrick was traumatized after one of the finals and he's a coach now. You bet he'd want revenge!

Yes it was clean. We got outplayed but that's what I meant by revenge. It's time for us to outplay them and show them who's boss! Also, among fans I've had years and years of Barca supporters telling me how shit we are compared to them.

I think it's the perfect plot for revenge. Both squads rebuilt. Another era. Time for some payback! Also doesn't help I have a heavy dislike for Barca and the fake image they portray of themselves as a "humble" team.
Surprising. Most Barça fans I know only mock Madrid.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Herrera is the key IMO. If he has two good games we have a chance.

His experience playing against Barca will be very beneficial for us.

Thisistheone

Let's hope we get a bit of luck, unlike the first leg vs PSG. Maybe with a full side we can do them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No one is shitting on anyone, they're simply stating that Barca are a better team than us and are more likely to win, a statement which I would guess 90% of football fans in general would not argue with. Some of the predicted scorelines (including mine) are a bit exaggerated, but I think thats more in fear of the opposition than purposely putting down United for the sake of looking inferior.
Not really talking about that though.

Talking about people saying PSG outclassed us in the first leg, ignoring circumstances and how the game actually went.

We are huge underdogs against Barca. We did not get outclassed by PSG.

crossy1686

career ending
Not really talking about that though.

Talking about people saying PSG outclassed us in the first leg, ignoring circumstances and how the game actually went.

We are huge underdogs against Barca. We did not get outclassed by PSG.
That was people trying to suggest Solskjaer was out of his depth more than anything. Same people were salivating in the Pochettino thread when Tottenham beat Dortmund. We have the weirdest fans ever...

Kapardin

This will be another case of a team in an inferior league getting complacent against a team with everything to prove.
Most Barca fans at online forums are already mostly mocking us and feeling quite confident. I suppose they should be, but let's see if we can do something.

el3mel

Looking at the draw, I yeah it's set for Juve VS Barca final unless Barca fecks it up again like last season which is unlikely. They won't play in second gear against a big team, us or Pool as they did against Roma last year.

Sarni

Most Barca fans at online forums are already mostly mocking us and feeling quite confident. I suppose they should be, but let's see if we can do something.
Yeah it's weird. We have completely different goals for this season than they do, if we lose this tie 5-0 on aggregate it's not really the end of the world because we never expected to even be in a position to play against them in QFs of CL. However if they lose this it'll be an embarrassment.

DaGOAT

We beat them over two legs in their pomp, we can do it again now.
In their pomp? Your memory is betraying you. Their pomp was during the Pep era. United lost both matches.

United beat a limp dick end of the run Rijkaard Barca, who were far from their previous might in the short “Rijkaard era” and miles away from Pep’s Barca.

You’re simply wrong.

daveoliver91

I am Catalan and all my friends support Barcelona. Even thought they know it's gonna be a tough challenge for them (especially away in OT), they are already talking about how difficult will be to face Liverpool, etc.. Let's be honest, they have all the odds to go through.

And do not forget they have 2 amazing defenders, which are Pique & Jordi Alba (this last one he's in an amazing form and he's providing loads of assist for them). Then in Midfield you have Rakitic, a proven player, Arthur (playing superb all this season), and in front I don't even need to mention. They have Jesus D10s (Messi), Dembo & Suarez.
Will be a really tough challenge for us.

Sarni

Home leg will be key. I don't know how we are supposed to do that but we will really need to do our best to keep a clean sheet. Even 0-0 would be a good result. 1-0 would be huge.

DDG

Young
Shaw (put him on Messi)
Lindelof
Smalling
Dalot

Matic
Herrera
McTominay
Pogba

Rashford / Lukaku

Hoof it to Rashy/Lukaku
I can see a similar set up to this one.But you cant put Shaw on Messi. Messi is literally everywhere.
One minute Messi on the right,the next on the left and then popping up in central areas.God damn headache to mark.:lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Well they haven't been that impressive of late so we'll see what happens. Expect them to try and blow us away in the first leg to show they mean business but they'll be complacent in the second leg for sure.

Sarni

I can see a similar set up to this one.But you cant put Shaw on Messi. Messi is literally everywhere.
One minute Messi on the right,the next on the left and then popping up in central areas.God damn headache to mark.:lol:
We are going to put Herrera on him I think.

el3mel

I noticed some saying we will do them on counters in the first few pages. Valverde isn't a very offensive manager to start with actually They won't be pressing high or leaving spaces at the back.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Yes, but I think it is possible to use Shaw as a man marker on Messi without losing our defensive shape while playing five at the back.
I’d trust Shaw to do a good job on Messi, Messi will still probably score though.

Patrick08

They can mock all they want, we are not a roll over one bit. They mock everyone who dont play a possession based stuff. Sure still favorites they are but I think with our players fit we will have significant threat if we get the combination and system right. We face problems against a high pressing high every side, Barcelona are no longer the same with pressing and winning the ball back that quickly. I am sure players will b fired up and we will create a hostile atmosphere. They are not an invincible side. We should be confident enough to enjoy ourselves out there and we can get the job done with some moments in our favour.

crossy1686

career ending
In their pomp? Your memory is betraying you. Their pomp was during the Pep era. United lost both matches.

United beat a limp dick end of the run Rijkaard Barca, who were far from their previous might in the short “Rijkaard era” and miles away from Pep’s Barca.

You’re simply wrong.
Whatever, they're beatable over two legs, always have been, even Pep's Barcelona. They can't get themselves up to play that intense over the space of two games against the same opposition, even with their league being non competitive in the bottom half.

Still maintain we would have got the better of Barcelona in both years they beat us in the final if we'd have played them home and away instead.

Keefy18

Delighted with this!

Why else support United if you don't want to see us play the best sides? This is what the CL is all about! As long as we give it a go, which I'm sure we will then I'm happy.