Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
As expected. Even better, 5-1 (Piqué's goalscoring abbilities still surprise me, Suárez should learn from him). Messi decisive without making a worldwide fuss (ehem), lethal at counter-attacking and huge assists. Barça should have scored the third before the Lyon goal, though. Several bad minutes in the second half. Too dangerous against Juve or City. Unacceptable.

Glad to see Bayern gone. Disaster season for them but still with solid options of winning this BundesLiga! (Dortmund bottlers). Liverpool will suffer in the PL if they intend to be UCL finalists-(losers) again.

4 English teams in QF, and no german clubs. Remarkable.
So your bio is actually serious. You do support both Barca and United?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
His own clubs fans hate him, possibly hate him even more than most of our fans do :lol:

Come to think of it, I’m struggling to think of any sets of fans that like him - even my 2 Geordie supporting mates hate him. :lol:
He isn't a particularly nice personality. Very self-absorbed.

jesperjaap

We are so getting Juventus....cue all the interviewers asking Ole his opinions of Ronaldo and his memories of the Juventus game in 99

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I so want a Barça-Juve next round.

SharpshooterTom

Fantastic achievement by the Premier League.

A lot of talk by the pundits of a potential era of 'English dominance' etc.

They can hype up the PL as much as they want but they have not yet figured out how to stop the Messi/Ronaldo conundrum.

8 of the past 11 CL winners have been won by Messi/Ronaldo led sides. Just remember that English pundits.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Congratulations Liverpool: an impressive away win.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
There was a massive thread all about this, with statistics and details that strongly suggest the notion that 0-0 is a good result away (that team will win more than 60% of the ties).

And you pick a day with two games where away goals weren't a factor to put an end to that laughable notion?
The statistics are misleading as they don't account for the quality of the teams. Barcelona v Lyon tonight is the perfect example of this. They didn't go through in any part due to their 0-0 away but rather because they're a much better side and were always expected to win the tie anyway.

As for the bold part - away goals were 100% a factor in the tie though. The tie is totally different had Bayern actually scored at Anfield.

It's crazy to decline the opportunity to score a goal which is essentially counts as double and instead opt to take a team back to your place knowing that if they get a goal you're in trouble.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yes. And it's more likely than not that that will happen.
Indeed, with 4 English clubs in the hat it would be truly remarkable if at least two of them weren't drawn against each other.

CognitiveNeuro

Liverpool have some ridiculous results in Europe. How many teams beat Bayern at their stadium in a knockout round in Europe? I can only recall Barcelona and Real Madrid in the last decade or so.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why does that make me a knobhead? :lol: We slaughtered Porto last year, and we've had the better of Spurs in recent years. What's wrong with wanting an easier fixture?
We beat you 4-1 and drew 2-2 last season, and you only won this season because the ref was blind, I think the season before we drew both fixtures? Hardly 'getting the better' of us, is it?

You'd be favourites against us, but we wouldn't be an 'easy' fixture for you, and it's downright arrogant to suggest we would. Especially since we'd have it all to play for whereas you still have a league to focus on.

RORY65

They may not have played for a 0-0, but they barely looked like they wanted to score, it was a baffling performance, that was begging for them to get stuffed in the second leg, and they have done.
Aren't Liverpool just quite a lot better than them right now? It seemed like the impression in Germany was that the 0-0 at Anfield was a bit of a turning point for them, a positive result and one that meant that a home win would put them through. If they had been more attacking at Anfield it's more likely that they would have lost than won given the level the two teams have been at this season.

Stretfordender

Inappropriate Behavior
Why does that make me a knobhead? :lol: We slaughtered Porto last year, and we've had the better of Spurs in recent years. What's wrong with wanting an easier fixture?
Simpyou’re a Liverpool supporter

Tommy the knobhead Liverpool fan

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
We beat you 4-1 and drew 2-2 last season, and you only won this season because the ref was blind, I think the season before we drew both fixtures? Hardly 'getting the better' of us, is it?

You'd be favourites against us, but we wouldn't be an 'easy' fixture for you, and it's downright arrogant to suggest we would. Especially since we'd have it all to play for whereas you still have a league to focus on.
Damn you and your accurate stats :lol: I just seem to never worry when you lot come to Anfield (got stats for Klopp/Poch overall?) - Obviously you're a tougher draw than Porto, but I'd rather face you than Juve/Barca/United/City, and pretty even with Ajax.

Simpyou’re a Liverpool supporter

Tommy the knobhead Liverpool fan
Fair play. :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Also, christ the premier league has done a number on the Bundesliga this season, hasn't it?

City beat Hoffenheim home/away in the groups and Schalke, Dortmund and Bayern were all knocked out by English clubs.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
The statistics are misleading as they don't account for the quality of the teams. Barcelona v Lyon tonight is the perfect example of this. They didn't go through in any part due to their 0-0 away but rather because they're a much better side and were always expected to win the tie anyway.

As for the bold part - away goals were 100% a factor in the tie though. The tie is totally different had Bayern actually scored at Anfield.

It's crazy to decline the opportunity to score a goal which is essentially counts as double and instead opt to take a team back to your place knowing that if they get a goal you're in trouble.
I think what is crazy is looking at it as "counting double". It's a tie-breaker, for that you need a tie in the first place. Had Bayern drawn 1-1 or even won 2-0 away and they would still be kicked out with today's result. They lost because they were much weaker than Liverpool today, not because they played for a 0-0 in the first leg.

I do understand the "feeling" that it's bad to have away goals against you, I feel it all the time, but it's irrational. For example, at some point, the tie between Lyon and Porto was tied, with 2-1 on both legs. I was extremely uncomfortable, probably less than if we were playing away in that scenario, because you keep thinking "if they score we're fecked" but the reality is that, in a balanced game, you as the home team are much more likely to score. So despite my nervousness, Porto was much more likely to make it 3-1 at home and proceed than to make it 2-2 and proceed if we were away.

Anyway it's a non-debate when facts tell you that on a 0-0 the away team will progress more often than not, so that can only be seen as a good result. There's no arguing against it, it's what the numbers say.

sherrinford

That was barely a touch to be fair, never mind a shove. Well that's part of the point, why didn't those morons in the VAR room signal to the ref to take a look at it again? Every guy that I spoke to today about the penalty felt there was nothing in it, and from the replays it looks like the guy tripped himself and was barely touched. Considering the magnitude of the game, there should have been a review. Otherwise what's the point of VAR.
But I think that’s what it was given for. The incident was reviewed - the panel looked at the replays and determined that the referee was correct. The VAR panel will only ask the referee to review it himself if they cannot decide between them whether he is right or wrong (which is nonsense and needs to be removed - it must put doubt in the ref’s mind. The VAR panel should be making the call).

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Liverpool have some ridiculous results in Europe. How many teams beat Bayern at their stadium in a knockout round in Europe? I can only recall Barcelona and Real Madrid in the last decade or so.
A terrible version of Bayern.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Damn you and your accurate stats :lol: I just seem to never worry when you lot come to Anfield (got stats for Klopp/Poch overall?) - Obviously you're a tougher draw than Porto, but I'd rather face you than Juve/Barca/United/City, and pretty even with Ajax.
That's fine, I'd rather you than those teams either .. aside from United.

But us being easier on paper than those teams doesn't mean we'd be easy, we have the firepower to cause anybody problems over two legs, and this competition is all we have to play for. I doubt we will be easy for anybody.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Great result. Not sure how it’ll impact our remaining league games but we’ll see.

I really don’t want another English side but it’s obviously going to be United isn’t it.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think what is crazy is looking at it as "counting double". It's a tie-breaker, for that you need a tie in the first place. Had Bayern drawn 1-1 or even won 2-0 away and they would still be kicked out with today's result.
They would have a completely different approach to the game though.