Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That's the problem with Renato, one amazing turn and then losing the ball in his own half to a team that is deadly on the counter.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
That was barely a touch to be fair, never mind a shove. Well that's part of the point, why didn't those morons in the VAR room signal to the ref to take a look at it again? Every guy that I spoke to today about the penalty felt there was nothing in it, and from the replays it looks like the guy tripped himself and was barely touched. Considering the magnitude of the game, there should have been a review. Otherwise what's the point of VAR.
ah well if every guy you spoke with says that it must be true :D VAR protocol says they can call the attention of the referee when there is a clear and evident oversight not a different interpretation on a foul that was clearly seen and judged by the referee and that without counting the fact that was a clear penalty anyway

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
What are you taking about? :lol: it still is a great result for the away team. Bayern aren't going out on away goals.
That after the first leg everyone was saying it was a great result for Bayern.

The fact they went to Anfield and played for a 0-0 was ludicrous. They should have tried to score an away goal and change the outlook of the tie.

Playing for a 0-0 away and bringing a team back to your place knowing every goal they get counts double is just an insane approach.

WensleyMU

German football is in a shit period right now. They've been pasted by the English sides. It's impressive but the fact is, German football is going through a poor spell.

French football however is not, it's in a real high. Well, it was.

Still, happy to see all 4 English sides make it through.

Gasolin

Best CL for English teams since what ? Half of QF teams are English.
That's 100%, hopefully United can go to the final and then we see what happens. That would be fantastic. The worst would be to lose more than Spurs for the semis, but realistically, we have to lose about 2 teams.

Mister_Stubbs

Liverpool had the toughest tie.. nope.
A great night for English football.. nope.
Liverpool getting better.. nope.

Media wankfest well and truly incoming.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
CL is Ajax' to win. Only team that I see having a chance against them is Juve.

Or Barca and City. Maybe Liverpool too. And United would probably have good odds.
:lol: Nice one. For the next round i would like to see Ajax vs Man City, Juventus vs Barcelona, Tottenham vs Porto and of course Liverpool vs Man United

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Hopefully this puts an end to the laughable notion that 0-0 in the first leg is a great result for the away team. It just isn't. Away goals are too valuable.
There was a massive thread all about this, with statistics and details that strongly suggest the notion that 0-0 is a good result away (that team will win more than 60% of the ties).

And you pick a day with two games where away goals weren't a factor to put an end to that laughable notion?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Expected scenario: Barça 3-1 Lyon

Disaster scenario: Barça 1-1 Lyon

See you in a couple of hours.

As expected. Even better, 5-1 (Piqué's goalscoring abbilities still surprise me, Suárez should learn from him). Messi decisive without making a worldwide fuss (ehem), lethal at counter-attacking and huge assists. Barça should have scored the third before the Lyon goal, though. Several bad minutes in the second half. Too dangerous against Juve or City. Unacceptable.

Glad to see Bayern gone. Disaster season for them but still with solid options of winning this BundesLiga! (Dortmund bottlers). Liverpool will suffer in the PL if they intend to be UCL finalists-(losers) again.

4 English teams in QF, and no german clubs. Remarkable.

Djemba-Djemba

There was a massive thread all about this, with statistics and details that strongly suggest the notion that 0-0 is a good result away (that team will win more than 60% of the ties).

And you pick a day with two games where away goals weren't a factor to put an end to that laughable notion?
I don't understand it.

I'd take a 0-0 at home first leg in the quarters definitely.

Fluctuation0161

That after the first leg everyone was saying it was a great result for Bayern.

The fact they went to Anfield and played for a 0-0 was ludicrous. They should have tried to score an away goal and change the outlook of the tie.

Playing for a 0-0 away and bringing a team back to your place knowing every goal they get counts double is just an insane approach.
Maybe they didnt play for a 0-0. That was just the outcome, in hindsight.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Give us Spurs or Porto. Can't be arsed with a hard tie.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Messi has responded well to Ronaldo. Just when Barca were struggling he stepped up and qualified Barca. Simply the best.

Canagel

bayern Munich are not good enough. i thought it will be a closer contest. in the end they got battered.