Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yep.

Xavi has 212 career assists to his name; Modric has 122. Granted Modric has played fewer career games, but, it's just pure recency bias that anyone puts Modric ahead of Xavi. The best is usually the last person you saw.
Playing for Spain and the best ever club side going.

Modric spent the first part of his career AT SPURS FFS.

Kaos

No but I could see someone coming in for him in the next year or two.
But who? Barca, Madrid, PSG, City all have top keepers. Bayern perhaps but they seldom make big money signings which he definitely will be. There's no feasible step up for him or even a cultural sidestep in La Liga.

Only other teams I can think of who'll soon be looking for new keepers is us and Spurs, so yeah I think hell be staying put :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Bayern - Man City
Real Madrid - Chelsea
Benfica - Napoli
Inter - AC Milan

Please.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
I don't think Xavi has figured out how to manage European football yet. Also, Real Madrid leave their best for Europe. C.Ronaldo surprisingly only has 3 La Liga titles but 4 UCL's.
I will refer you to the Negreira-Barca thread if you want to understand why

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
City and Bayern are too strong. I'd rather have one of the "new" guys in the next round for a change.

Or maybe Inter because we have to avenge Barca and LaLiga.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd rather avoid more english teams thank you very much. Fairly confident against everyone else. Let City and Chelsea deal with one another and Napoli or Bayern deal with the winner of that

But especially Chelsea, i really want to avoid them. Even with all their struggles, still a terrible match up for us. They're physical, fast, big, and can throw Reece James at Vini

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Yep.

Xavi has 212 career assists to his name; Modric has 122. Granted Modric has played fewer career games, but, it's just pure recency bias that anyone puts Modric ahead of Xavi. The best is usually the last person you saw.
Not discussing the main point as Xavi's numbers are extraordinary but Modric actually has 134 assists having spent 10 seasons and a half in an elite club. Xavi spent 17 seasons at Barcelona.

Sanjuro

Supports
Real Madrid
Modric's goal and assist statistics, which people often quote on social networks (usually with the aim of devaluing him) do not include the first 3 seasons (and part of the 4th season) of his club football and also leave out his entire Croatian national team career. Therefore, Modric's 122 career assists is a completely wrong statistic because it includes only 705 Modric's club games (Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur, and part of his club career in Dinamo Zagreb) and in reality Modric played over 800 games for 5 different clubs. In addition, Modric played 162 games for the Croatian national team and recorded another 25 assists (+ 23 goals), which are also not included in that Modric's incomplete total of 122 assists.
For comparison, Xavi while playing for Spain also registered 25 assists (+ 12 goals) in 133 appearances for Spain. It should also be mentioned that Xavi's 212 club assists also include 27 assists in Al-Sadd SC.

Also, regarding the comparisons between Xavi and Modric, since this is a thread about the Champions League I'll repeat:
  • Modric played in the 5 Champions League finals. Besides Modric only Carvajal and Benzema played all five Real Madrid's Champions League finals in this era but Modric played the most minutes (Modric 120+120+90+90+90, Carvajal 120+52+90+37+90, Benzema 79+77+77+89+90). Modric was a key member in all 5 Real Madrid's Champions League campaigns, he was chosen in Champions League Squad/Team of the Season every time when Real Madrid won the title (he was also in Champions League Squad of the Season in 2020/21 season when Real lost in the semi-final).
  • Xavi won 4 Champions Leagues, but Xavi didin't play in the first final and in the last he played only 12 minutes. Therefore, the dominant Xavi played a major role in only 2 finals, Modric in 5! Xavi in Champions League Finals 0+90+90+12 minutes.
Related to Modric, I will also mention that according to IFFHS only 5 footballers played more games than Luka Modric in the 21st century (and next month Modric should pass Iker Casillas on the list).

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Camavinga, wow. What a player. Impressed every time I see him play.

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid
Damn, even less than I thought.
Given latest revelations, it is not very surprising that Real has fewer domestic titles. Even after this scandal broke, Barca got two wins, thanks to referees and VAR, which would have been 2 draws.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Modric is not a big assister. That's not really his game. I'm never thinking "Luka please do a through-ball and save us."