Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

always_hoping

2nd in Germany v 5th in England and it showed tonight. Leipzig fully deserved that win and should have won by more. If Tottenham are to get knocked out it could be a blessing in disguise for their top 4 chances in the PL.

CognitiveNeuro

Umm.. 1 Europa League campaign plus 2 CL campaigns. Knockout opponents included Dortmund, Manchester City, Bayern, Barcelona. Says nothing about whether we'll go through against Atletico, but it's a pity that you couldn't bother googling this before making such a confident assertion.
I know about the Europa League. I'm not counting it because I specifically mentioned CL. I don't need googling because I already know these things. You need to learn to read better.
Dortmund didn't really count as a top team back then and City is an English team anyway and are poor in Europe.

Bayern and Barcelona were the only ones like I mentioned.

saivet

Deserved win for Leipzig. Despite the pressure from Spurs towards the end of the game, they didn't look all that threatening.

MooseTheMooche

"Vintage" Mourinho performance. Well deserved win for Leipzig. Should have scored more.

Pagh Wraith

2nd in Germany v 5th in England and it showed tonight. Leipzig fully deserved that win and should have won by more. If Tottenham are to get knocked out it could be a blessing in disguise for their top 4 chances in the PL.
5th place is hugely deceiving as well. Spurs are a mid-table side and have been for a while. Whereas Leipzig are deservedly challenging for the title. Game went as expected.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Well, it was always going to be difficult without Kane and Son - so no recognised striker at all - but we're not out of this tie yet.

So now we have to go to their place and beat them, which we're well capable of doing provided that both N'dombele and Lo Celso start the game in CM.

Wayne's World

Well, it was always going to be difficult without Kane and Son - so no recognised striker at all - but we're not out of this tie yet.

So now we have to go to their place and beat them, which we're well capable of doing provided that both N'dombele and Lo Celso start the game in CM.
Not with Jose Mourinho in charge you won't.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Good results from German teams this week.
... But... But the Bundesliga is a shit league where teams can't defend at all and it's clearly the worst league among the 4 big leagues... At least according to the Haaland and Sancho threads around here.

Good result for Leipzig.
Werner had a bad game, this is not his usual level. As someone already said, his current form (no goal in the prior 5 games) is the worst in the whole season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Imagine having that flashy modern stadium to be the home of that cr*ppy football.

bucky

Leipzig were playing without 2 of their best players as well.

Djemba-Djemba

His record in general cant be great reading.
He's not been in the CL every season since but you have to go back to the 1/4 finals in 2014 against PSG for his last Champions League knockout win.

It's like he now becomes so paralysed with fear about what the opposition will do his teams line up in these big games in a completely negative defensive way and just wait to get beat.

bucky

Who were they missing? I'm not familiar with their team
All 3 of their first choice centre-backs (Konate, Upamecano, Orban). Upamecano has arguably been the best centre-back in Germany this year.

saivet

All 3 of their first choice centre-backs (Konate, Upamecano, Orban). Upamecano has arguably been the best centre-back in Germany this year.
Assume they will be back for the second leg?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Still plenty to play for, didn't see much to worry about once we started putting them under pressure in the second half. Fingers crossed we can get a result in Germany.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd love to see how the arrogant "best league in the world" Premier League pundits spin it if all 4 teams go out at the R16 stage.

Still plenty to play for, didn't see much to worry about once we started putting them under pressure in the second half. Fingers crossed we can get a result in Germany.
It's certainly possible. You had similar circumstances against Ajax last season and still got the job done. You have a manager far less likely to go all out this time around though.

Leipzig were literally missing their entire defence. Their injury problems are arguably worse than yours.

Cowardly set-up by Jose, parking the bus in the home leg of a european knockout tie is unacceptable, especially when going against a club of similar quality.