Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
All 3 of their first choice centre-backs (Konate, Upamecano, Orban). Upamecano has arguably been the best centre-back in Germany this year.
This season Upamecano has played so well that someone will will for sure trigger his release clause at €60M, probably Bayern.

TheReligion

Abusive
Still plenty to play for, didn't see much to worry about once we started putting them under pressure in the second half. Fingers crossed we can get a result in Germany.
Jose interview is more worrying for me. Proper United style but a season too early. There's going to be issues I feel.

saivet

Still plenty to play for, didn't see much to worry about once we started putting them under pressure in the second half. Fingers crossed we can get a result in Germany.
They could equally argue that in your good spell, you didn't look all that threatening.

TheReligion

Abusive
I haven't seen it yet, we clearly need players though so this summer is going to be make or break
Very passive aggressive. He's really angry about the squad and injuries which makes you think he can't be happy with the January window.

The game tonight reminded me of how he was with United though. You had one chance from open play which was a header well over the bar from Lucas. It's not good for a big CL night at home and I'm sure not what you were all dreaming of in the new stadium? I get the injuries but it's the unwillingness to have a go. I'm not being an arse by the way just saying how I see and from experience.

Djemba-Djemba

I haven't seen it yet, we clearly need players though so this summer is going to be make or break
Wasn't quite his Utd post match Sevilla interview, where looking back he should have been sacked there and then, but it wasn't very good if you support Spurs.

Maybe in a few weeks after the 2nd leg if you get knocked out you'll get a similar heritage rant where he lists off all your European defeats and mocks the club.

One to look forward to there.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Very passive aggressive. He's really angry about the squad and injuries which makes you think he can't be happy with the January window.

The game tonight reminded me of how he was with United though. You had one chance from open play which was a header well over the bar from Lucas. It's not good for a big CL night at home and I'm sure not what you were all dreaming of in the new stadium? I get the injuries but it's the unwillingness to have a go. I'm not being an arse by the way just saying how I see and from experience.
Honestly don't think we will see the real situation until next season. This year is all about salvaging something.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not looking good for Spurs.

Mourinho as well cannot recover from going a goal down. Go ahead one nil and he is perfect just to hold on. Not so good at coming back though.

TheReligion

Abusive
Honestly don't think we will see the real situation until next season. This year is all about salvaging something.
I'll have it you're in a shit moment but surely the first 60 minutes of that game at home were unacceptable and could have been avoided? I dunno man. We can just see the similarities. I don't hate Jose like some but when he gets something in his head he's hard work.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'll have it you're in a shit moment but surely the first 60 minutes of that game at home were unacceptable and could have been avoided? I dunno man. We can just see the similarities. I don't hate Jose like some but when he gets something in his head he's hard work.
Was no worse than the shit served up by Poch in the last year. The squad clearly needs a total refresh and it's going to take time. We were poor tonight but it happens. Not going to get too excited about it as we are still in the tie.

bucky

This season Upamecano has played so well that someone will will for sure trigger his release clause at €60M, probably Bayern.
Do you need him though? And having already spent a good amount of money on Lucas Hernandez and Pavard? You've got Sule, Lucas Hernandez, Pavard and Alaba (who has played the majority of the games as a centre-back this season with the emergence of Davies). Boateng is going to leave, right?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Upamecano was banned for this game and will return for the second leg, the others are injured, not sure how severely.
It will also free up their wingbacks/fullbacks who had to play CB today.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Do you need him though? And having already spent a good amount of money on Lucas Hernandez and Pavard? You've got Sule, Lucas Hernandez, Pavard and Alaba (who has played the majority of the games as a centre-back this season with the emergence of Davies). Boateng is going to leave, right?
Depends on what Flick or a new coach wants. Back 3 or 4. Bayern have been playing Boateng and Alaba as CBs for months now. So they might feel that switching Boateng for Upamecano is a sound decision.

bucky

Depends on what Flick or a new coach wants. Back 3 or 4. Bayern have been playing Boateng and Alaba as CBs for months now. So they might feel that switching Boateng for Upamecano is a sound decision.
Whilst I agree that replacing Boateng with Upamecano would be sound business for them, where does that leave Pavard and Lucas Hernandez? Particularly the former is still more of a centre-back than a full-back IMO, even if he has done well as a right-back.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I really, really rate Upamecano but we don't really need him, no.
What you said is true. Boateng will probably leave but this leaves us with what was planned to be our CB pairing this year (Hernandez+Süle), Pavard and Alaba who is doing a fantastic job since he is playing as a CB.

Alphonso Davies is the biggest surprise of our season, his development is absolutely amazing. So it is very well possible that Alaba will still be a CB next season.

On top of that Upamecano is basically the same player type as Süle with the same strengts but also the same weaknesses. On the one hand they are absolute units but for their size very fast. Both have a good tackling and are good in the air.

But on the other hand both don't have a very good build-up play (but I'm still used to Hummels and Boateng so I'm a bit spoiled in this regard) and they have some problems with small and quick attackers due to their physique.

I think Upamecano will join the PL and will become one of the best CBs in the league in 1 or 2 years.

PoTMS

Like watching United v Sevilla at Old Trafford all over again. Cowardly.

bucky

What you said is true. Boateng will probably leave but this leaves us with what was planned to be our CB pairing this year (Hernandez+Süle), Pavard and Alaba who is doing a fantastic job since he is playing as a CB.

Alphonso Davies is the biggest surprise of our season, his development is absolutely amazing. So it is very well possible that Alaba will still be a CB next season.

On top of that Upamecano is basically the same player type as Süle with the same strengts but also the same weaknesses. On the one hand they are absolute units but for their size very fast. Both have a good tackling and are good in the air.

But on the other hand both don't have a very good build-up play (but I'm still used to Hummels and Boateng so I'm a bit spoiled in this regard) and they have some problems with small and quick attackers due to their physique.

I think Upamecano will join the PL and will become one of the best CBs in the league in 1 or 2 years.
I'd rather see him join you guys than any of our rivals.

Davies has been excellent from what I've seen.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others

Basically I agree with you. Though, with Boateng gone next season they really might want another CB. Parvard is playing really well at FB and they need him there as Kimmich will stay in midfield were he is simply irreplaceable. That leaves just Hernandez, Süle, and Alaba at CB, with Alaba actually being the number one left back, were Davis is probably still rather his backup, at least in big matches. And Hernandez appears to be really injury prone. Hence, I would buy Upamecano even with his limited technique as he would form with Sule probably the fastest CB duo in Europe! Would love to see that!

Reactions: Grinner

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
But not equal to missing both Kane and Son - two of the very best forwards in the world.
What if we tell you that it was all 3 first choice center backs? And they were forced to play their 2 starting wing backs at center back because of it?

Oh no wait, you'll still think Kane being out is worth their whole squad :lol:

Cantonagotmehere

At what point do PSG's biggest talent decide to want to move elsewhere because it must get old at some of having no real competition in the ligue 1 when winning the league every season and the constantly falling in the early knockout stages of the champions league which I think will happen again against Dortmund.
Too much money. Hopefully this is where Pogba ends up (unless he turns it around here).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Atalanta-Valencia was a riot, the fans really showed up big time, too

Score is hugely flattering, could have just as easily finished 4-4 if valencia could finish. Two flawed teams exposing all of each others strenghts and flaws

Injuries to Valencia's starting CB pair feels like a death knell for them though. Atalanta are one of the 5 best attacking teams in the world and it showed, and Mangala is one of the worst defenders i've ever seen. Just awful, can't play at this level at all

Atalanta will score at mestalla and valencia don't look clinical enough for the comeback to happen. Their best shot is mestalla sending atalanta into meltdown