Champions League - Round of 16 - 1st Legs 13/14/20/21 Feb

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know what y'all are talking about. That disallowed goal was legit and definitely not the biggest travesty since Sane vs Liverpool, ref was spot on all game long and we put in a vintage performance, they was lucky it was only 1-0!

And Casemiro would have had a red.
Not in Madrid! It was his superpower
That Leipzig disallowed goal :lol: surely Real can win stuff without help?
to quote a wise man "did you think I wouldn't cheat just because I was winning?"

Anyone knows why Sesko's goal was canceled ?
Because:
Because he scored it against Real Madrid....
Even without the Leipzig player near him, Lunin would have never gotten his hands at the ball.
The goal should have stood. It's robbery.

Real Madrid always gets these decisions in their favor.
I didn't forget the joke of a red card against Vidal, offside goals of Ronaldo (2017) and the clear handball of Marcelo (2019) not given.
Well now. That 2017 tie also included a bogus penalty in your favour, an offside goal in your favour and if we want to get technical about red cards, Vidal should have been off inside the first 10 minutes when he psychotically tried to remove Isco's ankle

The 2018 tie was highway robbery though, no argument here :D in fairness though, you deserved it for the way you spursed it up anyways :lol:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The offside call was because the Leipzig player who was offside became involved in active play by interfering with the goalkeeper’s movement.
That is what Thierry Henry and a couple of ex referees said yesterday. It is irrelevant whether we think the goalkeeper would have reached the ball. I don't like the rule but even if I am not fully convinced there is some substance in what they say.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
That 2017 tie also included a bogus penalty in your favour, an offside goal in your favour and if we want to get technical about red cards, Vidal should have been off inside the first 10 minutes when he psychotically tried to remove Isco's ankle
Conveniently you forgot to mention that Casemiro who was on yellow card too continued to commit various fouls and should have been latest sent when he lunged into Robben.
The decisive goal of Ronaldo was so obviously offside, at least by 2-3 yards, it was shocking.
Lewandowski was on a 1:1 against the goalkeeper when the ref wrongly decided he has been offside.
The penalty might have been soft but many of these were given.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Conveniently you forgot to mention that Casemiro who was on yellow card too continued to commit various fouls and should have been latest sent when he lunged into Robben.
The decisive goal of Ronaldo was so obviously offside, at least by 2-3 yards, it was shocking.
Lewandowski was on a 1:1 against the goalkeeper when the ref wrongly decided he has been offside.
With Vidal off in the fourth minute, it is Bayern with 10 men and a score of 1-2 against so the tie is pretty much over. You were gifted an opportunity to complain.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
With Vidal off in the fourth minute, it is Bayern with 10 men and a score of 1-2 against so the tie is pretty much over. You were gifted an opportunity to complain.

I can't believe we are still doing this after ALL THESE YEARS! :lol:

Oranges038

Just look at Carvajal yesterday eventually got a yellow card, commits 2 or 3 other fouls after that, nothing. He doesn't even try to tackle for the ball, he just runs into people or drags them down. Poulsen comes on, first bit of contact, gets a yellow card.

Referee let Madrid players away with shitty fouls all night. I saw a stat last night that cards per foul for RB was 30% for Real it was 17%.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's just frustrating to see that Real always gets these dubious and contentious referee decisions in their favor over all these years.
It's not only against Bayern but also the Ramos goal in the 2014 CL final was offside or the infamous tie against Juventus where a clear penalty wasn't given to Juventus in the last minutes of the first leg but a soft one to Madrid in last minute of the second leg.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The penalty for handball that hit the shoulder and the arm was against the body was soft?

Yeah, there were a lot of refereeing mistakes in that tie. What I take exception to is Bayern fans claiming they were hard done. Refs mistakes kept you into that tie in the first place, when you should have been out long before they turned against you.
It's not only against Bayern but also the Ramos goal in the 2014 CL final was offside
Offside on a corner kick?
or the infamous tie against Juventus where a clear penalty wasn't given to Juventus in the last minutes of the first leg but a soft one to Madrid in last minute of the second leg.
That was pretty sweet ngl

The PSG tie from that season was even better :drool:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There was a Marcelo handball penalty that should have been given in that match against Bayern as well, in case it hasn't been mentioned.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
to quote a wise man "did you think I wouldn't cheat just because I was winning?"
Watching it again I can actually live with it being disallowed. He very slightly shoves the keeper, which does interfere with play a bit. Especially since only standing in his line of sight is classed as interfering. I was more peeved, because I prefer David over Goliath. Even if David is being sponsored by a billion dollar energy drink company.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Watching it again I can actually live with it being disallowed. He very slightly shoves the keeper, which does interfere with play a bit. Especially since only standing in his line of sight is classed as interfering. I was more peeved, because I prefer David over Goliath. Even if David is being sponsored by a billion dollar energy drink company.
We know football in general prefers it's Goliaths over Davids. Heritage, history and all that.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Bayern and Real Madrid fans fighting over who got screwed more by the ref always amuses me, it's always great to see that at least one side gets a taste of their own medicine.

Having watched the disallowed goal yesterday a few more times I actually changed my stance a bit and don't think it's that outrageous anymore. I thought at first they just bumped in each other a bit because he was running back but Henrichs definitely deliberately pushes the keeper in the back. Even if Lunin basically has little to no chance to ever reach the ball, it's just stupid to push the keeper when you're in an offside position and the ball is just about to get crossed in.
The lack of yellow cards for Madrid players were more of an issue I thought.

Realismo

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm surprised at how many people don't know about the offside rules.

Last edited:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah it would be a lie to say we didn't benefit from favourable refereeing decisions over the years. As many examples have been given. And yesterday we lucked out as well.

I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that the bigger clubs always get favourable refereeing or with more regularity. Maybe that is the thing we end up remembering? Every fanbase thinks their club is the one that is always at a disadvantage and the other side not. I see this sentiment on here, Madrid/Barca/Chelsea/PSG/Juve/Bayern forums all the time. You'd think if it was true at least one fanbase would be happy with the refs but no one ever is.

That being said, I do think every (big) club that gets favourable decisions and also decisions against them. Just look at the examples of the Bayern/Real games and you'll see decisions benefiting / disadvantaging both sides. Think this simply can be attributed to referees simply making mistakes. I don't think anyone is arguing here that refs are actually bought or pressured to.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
That is what Thierry Henry and a couple of ex referees said yesterday. It is irrelevant whether we think the goalkeeper would have reached the ball. I don't like the rule but even if I am not fully convinced there is some substance in what they say.
Everyone must have their own opinion regardless of what others say.

Here

Kroos claims disallowed Leipzig goal was legal.

So instead of debating about the play, we start debating about what one or the other says.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah it would be a lie to say we didn't benefit from favourable refereeing decisions over the years. As many examples have been given. And yesterday we lucked out as well.

I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that the bigger clubs always get favourable refereeing or with more regularity. Maybe that is the thing we end up remembering? Every fanbase thinks their club is the one that is always at a disadvantage and the other side not. I see this sentiment on here, Madrid/Barca/Chelsea/PSG/Juve/Bayern forums all the time. You'd think if it was true at least one fanbase would be happy with the refs but no one ever is.

That being said, I do think every (big) club that gets favourable decisions and also decisions against them. Just look at the examples of the Bayern/Real games and you'll see decisions benefiting / disadvantaging both sides. Think this simply can be attributed to referees simply making mistakes. I don't think anyone is arguing here that refs are actually bought or pressured to.
I think people just want to see their rivals/big clubs lose. If these clubs then receive controversial decisions in their favour, the uproar is huge and the opposite ones are forgotten. In the Bundesliga, it feels like every penalty Bayern gets is widely discussed and the wrong decisions against Bayern are often ignored by the media. This is completely understandable behaviour. Dominant teams are also naturally close to goal more often and are therefore often awarded more penalties or fouls (even with an equal proportion of wrong decisions for all teams).

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
I think people just want to see their rivals/big clubs lose. If these clubs then receive controversial decisions in their favour, the uproar is huge and the opposite ones are forgotten. In the Bundesliga, it feels like every penalty Bayern gets is widely discussed and the wrong decisions against Bayern are often ignored by the media. This is completely understandable behaviour. Dominant teams are also naturally close to goal more often and are therefore often awarded more penalties or fouls (even with an equal proportion of wrong decisions for all teams).
You don't say the same when it was Pep's or L.Enrique's Barcelona who were attacking.
People's opinions vary according to their philias and phobias.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Thierry Henry lecturing people on what you can and can't do with your hands during a football match is top notch.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You don't say the same when it was Pep's or L.Enrique's Barcelona who were attacking.
People's opinions vary according to their philias and phobias.
I don't think you have the right to pass judgement on me. You don't know me and have no idea how I feel or felt about Pep's or Enrique's Barca. So please spare me your victim complex.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

Exactly.
While I also agree that big clubs benefit more often from wrong decisions (this can have many reasons, like others have stated that bigger clubs that have more possession and do attack more obviously have more chances to get a soft penalty compared to teams that sit back most of the time) than smaller clubs, your observation is spot on in my opinion. Every fan is sure that his club is/was treated worse by the refs and does of course have several good examples from the last few years.
So all in all i think most decisions even out over the years.

Regarding tonight:
If we don't turn up massively from our shit game against Leverkusen Lazio could very well turn out to be our Villarreal 2.0.
I hope our players are ready, but something is very wrong in this team since the winter break.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
PSG - Sociedad should also be interesting. Couple of months ago I think Sociedad could’ve gotten a result but they’ve slowed down and are dealing with injuries iirc. PSG have Mbappe and that is pretty much it. Think their team is rather average.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There was a Marcelo handball penalty that should have been given in that match against Bayern as well, in case it hasn't been mentioned.
2018. By my count there were at least 3 stonewall penalties for Bayern across that tie that went ignored. But on the other hand, Bayern basically scored 2 of our goals themselves and managed to miss 5 billion open goal tap ins. As i said, they *deserved* to get screwed :lol:
Sorry my bad. It wasn't the 2014 final but 2 years later in 2016.
Yeah that one was egregious. They got a really soft, probably wrong, penalty as compensation(we know this because the ref came out and said this) later on, but yeah
Nah. It was an absolute travesty of a decision. Genuinely one of the worst I've seen in CL in the VAR era

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Hopefully, if we go through, we will play Bayern in the quarterfinals, and I mean that as a compliment.
A big and fat match, with a lot of noise, shithousery, yellows, cornered in the area and well fecked ; with the need for a great atmosphere in the second leg (in my fantasy we will play the second leg in Madrid).

York

Nah. It was an absolute travesty of a decision. Genuinely one of the worst I've seen in CL in the VAR era
Nope. It was the correct call according to the laws of the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nope. It was the correct call according to the laws of the game.
I hate this line of arguing and it pops up in the VAR thread after every decision. The laws of the game were never designed to be tested so rigorously and put under such minute scrutiny, to the point that the lawmakers have had to amend rules just to fit the post VAR landscape. That’s been an absolute disaster for the sport overall and people can’t keep hiding behind the “it’s in the rules” arguments when the rules themselves change on a whim.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hopefully, if we go through, we will play Bayern in the quarterfinals, and I mean that as a compliment.
A big and fat match, with a lot of noise, shithousery, yellows, cornered in the area and well fecked ; with the need for a great atmosphere in the second leg (in my fantasy we will play the second leg in Madrid).
Yes, we should play the second leg at home. We always should, we have that right. It's a travesty and a miscarriage of justice when we don't, which just goes to show Flo is right about the SuperLeague

York

I hate this line of arguing and it pops up in the VAR thread after every decision. The laws of the game were never designed to be tested so rigorously and put under such minute scrutiny, to the point that the lawmakers have had to amend rules just to fit the post VAR landscape. That’s been an absolute disaster for the sport overall and people can’t keep hiding behind the “it’s in the rules” arguments when the rules themselves change on a whim.
I’m sorry you feel that way. But it’s quite clear that when a player in an offside position becomes involved in active play, offsides is the correct call. My “line of arguing” was spelled out in my post yesterday so maybe don’t take the post you quoted out of context?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Look at the last few pages...do we really need more matches for years/decades long discussions about who profited from ref decisions and when the better team lost? :lol:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
The 2017 return leg in Spain was a Viktor Kassai special handed to Madrid

Casemiro could behead anyone and not get a whistle, plus the Vidal red and 2 offside goals in one game

One of the worst refereeing performances of all time

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Look at the last few pages...do we really need more matches for years/decades long discussions about who profited from ref decisions and when the better team lost? :lol:
Pre-2014 Bayern came out on top. Like in 2012. Our record wasn’t great against you guys. But they are very enjoyable games so a Bayern-Real draw would be fun to see. There is more history there. The likes of City don’t conjure up the same feeling. Those feel like ‘whatever, they lucked out and were selected for the UAE project’. Nothing interesting about the club itself.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pre-2014 Bayern came out on top. Like in 2012. Our record wasn’t great against you guys. But they are very enjoyable games so a Bayern-Real draw would be fun to see. There is more history there. The likes of City don’t conjure up the same feeling. Those feel like ‘whatever, they lucked out and were selected for the UAE project’. Nothing interesting about the club itself.
My most memorable was the 2002 Bayern vs Madrid

Geremi scored for Madrid before Bayern tool over. Won the match 2-1. That atmosphere at the Olympic stadium still gave me goose pimple and this celebration from Kahn and Effenberg

We lost the return leg 2-0. I think Brazzo got a red and that was the first time I saw a 17yr old Schweinsteiger play for Bayern. He looked so much like Effenberg

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Wouldn't mind a rematch either. Been a long 6 years since both teams my each other.
But first we have to get past Lazio. In our current form it's not a given.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I have an extremely bad feeling about our game tonight.