Champions League - Round of 16 - 2nd Legs 5/6/12/13 March

RedDevilQuebecois

If Argentina is looking for a new place kicker for their national rugby team, Lautaro is their guy after that kick. :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Inter looked very nervous during that shoot out.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
All Italian teams out, Bayern and Dortmund through, that should look pretty good for the 5th starting spot for the Bundesliga, right?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fecking Lautaro. Bottles everything he comes across, but slotted the deciding penalty neatly into the net against us at the world cup. Tit.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Fecking Lautaro. Bottles everything he comes across, but slotted the deciding penalty neatly into the net against us at the world cup. Tit.
Lovely. 2 italian teams out helping England with the coefficients:drool:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think I've ever seen so much police presence around the stadium. Explain yourself @KirkDuyt - did PSV fans issue terrorist threats or something?

Lay

All Italian teams out, Bayern and Dortmund through, that should look pretty good for the 5th starting spot for the Bundesliga, right?
Italy are almost there for the 5th spot despite having 3 teams knocked out of the UCL.

1. Italy 16.571
2. Germany 15.928
3. England 15.000

Serie A will take one of the spots almost certainly from what I have read

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't think I've ever seen so much police presence around the stadium. Explain yourself @KirkDuyt - did PSV fans issue terrorist threats or something?
I told you, they're Brabanders, practically French. Can't have enough police presence for those.

JogaBonitoRooney

Italy are almost there for the 5th spot despite having 3 teams knocked out of the UCL.

1. Italy 16.571
2. Germany 15.928
3. England 15.000

Serie A will take one of the spots almost certainly from what I have read
How is it certain? There's still Spain too and they've got three left in the CL. Villarreal in the Europa but they'll probably go out

I don't think Spain are far behind in 4th.

Woziak

Pretty much think the Italians might not be as nailed on the coefficient as they think now, might be Germany, England and Spain fighting this out. Tomorrow Europa and Conference will be even more important now.

if results go to form you can see the following ;

Italy 4 Club sides left
England 4/5 Club sides left
Germany 3/4 Club Sides left
Spain 3 club sides left
France 3 Club sides

The Germans need Freiburg to knock out West Ham otherwise Co Efficient is curtains, right now neither Dortmund or Bayern beat Arsenal or City, never say never but the English sides are currently stronger, Leverkusen will Give Liverpool a difficult task in Europa League but if Villa beat Ajax they go very deep in that competition.

Lay

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I told you, they're Brabanders, practically French. Can't have enough police presence for those.
That certainly explains why there were groups of police wearing full riot gear every 15 meters..

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Not really.. still balanced situation:

England have too many teams still in to not finish top2.. Italy and Germany both have 4 teams left, I'd say 60:40 for Italy at the moment but tomorrow after UEL round we'll know more

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Pretty much think the Italians might not be as nailed on the coefficient as they think now, might be Germany, England and Spain fighting this out. Tomorrow Europa and Conference will be even more important now.

if results go to form you can see the following ;

Italy 4 Club sides left
England 4/5 Club sides left
Germany 3/4 Club Sides left
Spain 3 club sides left
France 3 Club sides

The Germans need Freiburg to knock out West Ham otherwise Co Efficient is curtains, right now neither Dortmund or Bayern beat Arsenal or City, never say never but the English sides are currently stronger, Leverkusen will Give Liverpool a difficult task in Europa League but if Villa beat Ajax they go very deep in that competition.
Yeah.. Mighty Arsenal, who utterly embarrassed tournament favourites Porto on penalties are certainly a hopeless case for an inexperienced team like Bayern.

Lay

That West Ham v Freiburg game is important.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How is it certain? There's still Spain too and they've got three left in the CL. Villarreal in the Europa but they'll probably go out

It's not all predicated on the UCL, Italian clubs have done really well in the EL and ECL. All European tournaments have the same weight so a team doing well in the UCL gives as many points as those doing well in the ECL.

Italy has all their clubs qualified in the EL and ECL while Germany have one club knocked out and Spain has 2 out of those competitions.

Overall, Italy, Germany have Spain have 4 clubs left with England having 6. A difference is also that England and Spain had 8 teams to begin with in Europe while Italy and Germany had 7.

Woziak

Yeah.. Mighty Arsenal, who utterly embarrassed tournament favourites Porto on penalties are certainly a hopeless case for an inexperienced team like Bayern.
Never said that, but Arsenal have already beaten City twice this year already and will not fear a Bayern that are 10 points adrift of Leverkusen who are without doubt the best team in Germany this year?

I hate Arsenal but them wining ugly yesterday was a bad thing because at their best they are more than capable of blowing Dortmund or Bayern away and let me be clear here, I hope either German team thrash Arsenal, unfortunately this Arsenal team is getting better and better and no longer a soft touch!

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan

No chances for Spain to finish top2.. they need like TEN wins more than Italy from the QF on to overtake them..

Spain this season have been exactly the opposite as Italy:
- Spain: Amazing in the UCL with 3 teams in the QF but poor in the other 2 european competitions
- Italy: Shite in the UCL with 0 teams in the QF but all the other teams are still in the UEL/UECL and favourite to qualify to the QF tomorrow.

2>1

Captmfla

Alexis can't take penalty but he's going to win the serie A again. Not too bad for someone in his twilight years of football. Also winning with Mkhitaryan and Darmian while Onana left.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's not all predicated on the UCL, Italian clubs have done really well in the EL and ECL. All European tournaments have the same weight so a team doing well in the UCL gives as many points as those doing well in the ECL.

Italy has all their clubs qualified in the EL and ECL while Germany have one club knocked out and Spain has 2 out of those competitions.

Overall, Italy, Germany have Spain have 4 clubs left with England having 6. A difference is also that England and Spain had 8 teams to begin with in Europe while Italy and Germany had 7.
Don't ignore France who are still ahead of Spain. Spain would need a hell of a run to move from 5th to 2nd

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Arsenal get outplayed by City pretty much every time they play them. Liverpool I'd grant you, even Spurs. They're a good team but untested in the CL so really there's a lack of top depth in the CL currently. Inter are one of the better sides but even then they're not really that good. Teams like Barca, Napoli, Dortmund are a mile away from being good. Hell even Bayern are worse than older Bayern. So really it just leaves a lot of supbar matches. I'll probably watch the final (which is 99% likely to be City Vs whoever gets lucky in the draw) but that's about it.
Arsenal beat City the last time they played. Maybe the top quality is indeed down this season, but then that also includes City, so it's far from a given that they'll win

Nicoteiro

Yeah to bad he missed those two sitters provided by Thuram and the other Italian guy

Oh wait

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Literally their only bad home performance of the season and they won anyways
Well obviously, because we're crap at finishing.

On a serious note, the match in Rotterdam they had found their form and completely played us off the field.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well obviously, because we're crap at finishing.

On a serious note, the match in Rotterdam they had found their form and completely played us off the field.
Against type since they've been mediocre away all season long :lol:

Oranges038

Anyone else miss the away goals rule?

The last 2 nights with teams seemingly happy to sit on draws and go to penalties in tight games was boring. Preferred it when there was that extra danger brought by knowing that 1 goal could swing the tie massively in favour one way or the other.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
nah, this keeps ties wide open and makes for better spectacle. Much prefer this than games being over after 20 minutes because of the away goals rule

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

The last 2 nights with teams seemingly happy to sit on draws and go to penalties in tight games was boring. Preferred it when there was that extra danger brought by knowing that 1 goal could swing the tie massively in favour one way or the other.
Funnily enough I mostly enjoyed it. But I'm probably weird in the way that I don't mind boring phases of play when it builds up drama, and I feel "both teams happy to go to penalties" is kind of the ultimate drama you can create on a football pitch.

Oranges038

nah, this keeps ties wide open and makes for better spectacle. Much prefer this than games being over after 20 minutes because of the away goals rule
Funnily enough I mostly enjoyed it. But I'm probably weird in the way that I don't mind boring phases of play when it builds up drama, and I feel "both teams happy to go to penalties" is kind of the ultimate drama you can create on a football pitch.

Games can be over after the first leg anyway. Away goals added that bit of jeopardy to the game and for me anyway, it's just taken something away from these games.

If there's no away goals, then these game may as well be just one off games rather than over 2 legs. There's no point in having 2 legged games if teams are just going to play out for a draw and end in penalties anyway.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Against type since they've been mediocre away all season long :lol:
Griezmann was fecking brilliant in Rotterdam. Really puts some perspective on the fact that our league isn't really football at all.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I miss the '1 goal changes all' part of the experience but the current rules are more fair and civilized. That Atletico tie would have been all but over after Inter scored otherwise.