Champions League Semi Finals (24th April - 2nd May)

Kapardin

I admire your optimism but they’re 100% winning the damn thing. Madrid are wank and there’s no hope of Roma clawing back that deficit. Barca, City and Bayern were the three best teams in the competition and they’re all out. The stars have aligned perfectly for the dippers. We just have to accept that and move on.
Madrid weren't wank against quite a strong PSG. Against Juve too, they were the superior team no matter how much Buffon shouts about garbage bins and murderers. They will school Liverpool in the final, experience and class always shines through in the end.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
2?

The Marcelo handball was outside the box for a start, and I thought it was more ball to hand anyway.

What's the other one?
how was it outside the box?

there was also one on Lewa, that was softer but not softer than the one Real got against Juve in the QF.
Anyway Bayern certainly paid for its many mistakes in the boxes and some shocking defending, Real is at home in this competition and also very lucky including with refereeing. In all matches vs PSG, Juve and Bayern they had episodes in favour.

Then there is an argument to be said for teams that are strong and then tend to appear lucky in close ties but they are nonetheless lucky

Tanel

Unsure if it's said here, but Semi Finals should our minimum goal in terms of Champions League next season :#

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I admire your optimism but they’re 100% winning the damn thing. Madrid are wank and there’s no hope of Roma clawing back that deficit. Barca, City and Bayern were the three best teams in the competition and they’re all out. The stars have aligned perfectly for the dippers. We just have to accept that and move on.
Madrid are also the team which Liverpool hate playing against. They largely defend deep and look to hit teams on the counter.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
So I should not bother watching tonight, it's all over and dusted. Liverpool to win it 0:3 most probably.....
They are clear favourite and sorry guys I really hope they go through because I acknowledge it is petty but could not bear the thought of Roma having a chance to win the CL :D

Tonight I think Roma can win, but I would be surprised if Liverpool did not score at least 1 goal

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Madrid are also the team which Liverpool hate playing against. They largely defend deep and look to hit teams on the counter.
That’s the theory but they can’t defend for shit, which has been abundantly clear over the course of this season. Can you imagine the joy Salah and Mane will get against their full-backs?

RoyH1

That’s the theory but they can’t defend for shit, which has been abundantly clear over the course of this season. Can you imagine the joy Salah and Mane will get against their full-backs?
Can you imagine the joy Carvajal and Marcelo will have against Liverpool's?

KM

It's not as if Liverpool have prime Maldini and Nesta at CB/LB too, both teams defense can't defend for shit.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
1. No
2. 50% of the goal was on Tolisso.
50%?! Ulreich had more than enough time to clear that ball and 99% of keepers would-be thumped it down the ground.

Ulreich went down thinking he could pick the ball up and then realised half way down that it was a back pass, then proceeded to air kick the ball.

It was 100% Ulreich's error though i do agree that there were more problems than him on three pitch yesterday.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I've stuck £50 on Roma to qualify @ 10/1. I'll happily part with 50 quid to see my lads play in the biggest final of them all. If it doesn't go to plan, I'll take me & the missus away for the weekend with my £500 winnings. Either way, I'll be getting shit-faced drunk on the night of the 26th of May :)

KM

I've stuck £50 on Roma to qualify @ 10/1. I'll happily part with 50 quid to see my lads play in the biggest final of them all. If it doesn't go to plan, I'll take me & the missus away for the weekend with my £500 winnings. Either way, I'll be getting shit-faced drunk on the night of the 26th of May :)
Here's hoping you win 500 quid. Just for the sake of your missus ofcourse, nothing to do with Liverpool's not reaching the final.

mosmartindb9

Supports
Real Madrid
@Bayern fans: Congratulations, you truly were the better team in both games. Jupp won the tactical battle in both games, you played with a lot more desire, ran more and pressed more. Jupp played his cards almost to perfection, better then Allegri I would say, but it still wasn't enough.
If you manage to convince Jupp to coach a couple more years I see you as the favorites to win it.

@Real fans: This team is still the best in the world, but after writing history last year it's quite clear they never bring that 110% effort like teams they are playing do. If the first leg was 3-1 for Bayern we would have seen a completely different game then tonight. It was the same story with Juventus. However, we need new blood this summer, a couple of players at least that are hungry for trophies. We need to have again pace on our counters and a little more height in our midfield, defense.

@UTD fans: Liverpool can hurt us only one way and that is to stay back and counter with their pace. We still have the best counter-pressing midfield in the world and we have two of the fastest center backs around. It's exactly the kind of game we want to play. Don't think the game will be a breeze, but if they are focused and we score first, the final will look like the one with Juventus last year.

To conclude, I didn't gave us a lot of chances after we drawn Bayern. I'm not giving Liverpool a lot either in the final. Think about it, a similar team to this Bayern, trounced Barcelona 7-0 when they were at the peak of their game and didn't manage to eliminate us. Same coach, same conditions, just a different team in front of them.

Reactions: KM

Rajma

Used to love those win-win situations. :(

Pogue Mahone

It's not as if Liverpool have prime Maldini and Nesta at CB/LB too, both teams defense can't defend for shit.
Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Van Dijk has played 13 league games for Liverpool. Over the course of those 13 games Liverpool have conceded fewer goals in the league than United, City and Spurs (didn't check any other teams but that's surely the tightest defence in the league?). They've conceded just 3 goals in their last 5 CL matches. Real have conceded 7.

They're winning number 6. There's no two ways about it.

KM

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Van Dijk has played 13 league games for Liverpool. Over the course of those 13 games Liverpool have conceded fewer goals in the league than United, City and Spurs. They've conceded just 3 goals in their last 5 CL matches. Real have conceded 7.

They're winning number 6. There's no two ways about it.
I see what you're doing. You've changed my mind completely.

Pogue Mahone

I see what you're doing. You've changed my mind completely.
I'm not doing a reverse jinx! Honestly, they've become a very good team in the second half of this season. They've dropped some stupid points recently because they're focused on the CL but their defence has improved massively since Van Dijk joined and they've been scoring at will for ages. And Madrid are absolutely gash. I'm just calling it as I see it. Which sucks but there you go :(

James Peril

Unsure if it's said here, but Semi Finals should our minimum goal in terms of Champions League next season :#
Hate quotes like these - makes little sense. Let’s say we play Sevilla and Roma, then yes. But what if we meet let’s say Juventus and then Real/PSG/Barcelona? You play what’s in front of you, and if you’re unlucky you get the top teams in the next round instead of a minnow. Losing to let’s say Real Madrid in the QF is never a failure

Water Melon

I share that view but it doesn't mean that they are there for the taking. They are still quite good. Madrid and Bayern too. Last night Bayern put in probably the best away performance in the CL this season. That blunder cost them big time though.
Agreed. However, I expect Bayern to be stronger next season, as will Real. To be honest, I do not think either Pool or Roma will reach semis next season. City, unfortunately, are likely to.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
how was it outside the box?

there was also one on Lewa, that was softer but not softer than the one Real got against Juve in the QF.
Anyway Bayern certainly paid for its many mistakes in the boxes and some shocking defending, Real is at home in this competition and also very lucky including with refereeing. In all matches vs PSG, Juve and Bayern they had episodes in favour.

Then there is an argument to be said for teams that are strong and then tend to appear lucky in close ties but they are nonetheless lucky

It's borderline... pretty much impossible to tell, and there doesn't seem to be a conclusive angle anywhere around.

Also, comparing the foul on Lewa to the foul on Vazquez in the Juve game is a bit of a stretch

TheKaiser

50%?! Ulreich had more than enough time to clear that ball and 99% of keepers would-be thumped it down the ground.
That's simply not true. I have not the rights to post links since I'm a new member, but there is a good compilation on youtube with really horrible mistakes by goalkeepers we consider as very good or even world "class", also similar ones as the mistake yesterday. Go take a look ("Mistakes by Famous Goalkeepers Neuer, Buffon, De Gea, Courtois"). Nevertheless it is of course really unfortunate that this happend to Ulreich in such an important match.

Tanel

Hate quotes like these - makes little sense. Let’s say we play Sevilla and Roma, then yes. But what if we meet let’s say Juventus and then Real/PSG/Barcelona? You play what’s in front of you, and if you’re unlucky you get the top teams in the next round instead of a minnow. Losing to let’s say Real Madrid in the QF is never a failure
Yes, but that wouldn't be much improvement either. We need to get to the stage where we win against those sides, not just hope for the best..

Rajma

I'm not doing a reverse jinx! Honestly, they've become a very good team in the second half of this season. They've dropped some stupid points recently because they're focused on the CL but their defence has improved massively since Van Dijk joined and they've been scoring at will for ages. And Madrid are absolutely gash. I'm just calling it as I see it. Which sucks but there you go :(
It's never a good match up when a team which runs like madmen goes against one that plays in a chill and complacent mode.

TheKaiser

It's borderline... pretty much impossible to tell, and there doesn't seem to be a conclusive angle anywhere around.

Also, comparing the foul on Lewa to the foul on Vazquez in the Juve game is a bit of a stretch
If you stop the video at the moment the ball hits Marcelos hand, take a look at where his left feet is standing, and then take a look at the other video from the goal angle, its clear in my opionion that the ball hits his hand inside the box.

Strachans Cigar

I too was underwhelmed by Real & thought Bayern were the better team.

Don’t think it’s written in the stars for the Scousers to win it though.

As long as RM don’t fall for Klopps long ball stuff, whereby he bypasses his own midfield because it is shit, then Real have a great chance.

Both defences are suspect, Reals midfield is obviously superior, attacks are a moot point. Liverpool also tire during the last phase of games as they rely heavily on physical energy.

As long as Real treat the Scouse counter attacking threat with more respect than Roma did during that first leg, I would see a RM-Scouse final as 50-50.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Made my piece with it also.

MUFC OK

I've said for weeks that it's their year. Just praying Madrid can upset the applecart in the final by not playing a high-line and playing into Liverpools hands as every other team has done in the competition.

Sadly I think they are destined to win it this year, I actually expect them to blow Real away in the final.. I haven't watched any of their CL campaign so far and will not be watching the final.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.

You stay classy Roma fans!!!
Two got attacked on Monday. Four shithouses went past on scooters and hit the Liverpool lads with iron bars. They fought back but then they drivers got off and had a go. My 21 year old nephew has been there since Monday with about 20 of his mates snorting coke like there is no tomorrow. My 69 year old Dad decided to jump on plane by himself on Tuesday . To be honest I had a tough time sleeping last night.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Be reminded of course that it's a very small portion of the fanbase. The fans overall, as well as the club, have been the exact opposite.

I seen this. Classy. They also laid a wreath at the Hillsborough memorial last week. You are right its a small minority.

Openshaw53

Ribery was superb in both legs, a pity the lad is 35 now and realistically only got 1 more season left in him, France would be real favs in WC with him back in the squad.
Munich missed their injured players Neuer would have never conceded a goals of that nature A fit Robben would have been a better threat.

Madrid stumbled over the line that's what good teams do , it also shown that they are not reliable on Ronaldo to get through.
Ronny was awful in both legs,Casermero will play in the final. I’m not impressed with Kosovic, Bale looks way off the pace too ( would not want him as the major signing this summer). Modric is class and so is Isco , Madrid missed him.

All in all a cracking game for the full 96 minutes , and for once I couldn't criticise the ref ( was he the balloon who sent Nani off ) .

A Madrid Scousers final would worryingly interesting.

Roma have zero chance of getting through tonight, they are pants. Thank God it ain't City, still celebrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Openshaw53

It was Liverpool supporters again (how often) who created the hostile atmosphere v City (loads of trouble at that game went unreported) and were praised by the club then backtracked. What the Merseyside police were doing I don't know.
You reap what you sow I'm afraid, just hope for everyone's sake that there are not even more serious casualties in the next 24 hours.
2018 and this is still happening!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.

Where ? Best Ive seen is 9/1. 150/1 in extra time and 250/1 on pens. I threw 50.00 on City to win the league when they drifted to 6/1 in 2014 . It hurts but it softens the blow. Ive booked my flights to Katowice from the 22nd / 29th May. Only a 100 return. Its easy to get to Kiev from there via Krakow and Lyiv or something. Those flights will rocket if we get there. The Krakow flights already have . If we dont get there Ive got a week in Katowice and Krakow. Of course I'd rather be in Kiev like.

Akshay

Staff
It was Liverpool supporters again (how often) who created the hostile atmosphere v City (loads of trouble at that game went unreported) and were praised by the club then backtracked. What the Merseyside police were doing I don't know.
You reap what you sow I'm afraid, just hope for everyone's sake that there are not even more serious casualties in the next 24 hours.
Except that Roma fans have prior for this that doesn't have anything to do with Liverpool, and the incident with City is unrelated as well.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Roma don't have to 'take the game to Liverpool'. They need to set up like Stoke did at the weekend, or like Mourinho did a month back. Sit back, defend well, and don't press past the half way line.
That's an unusual strategy for going out to score 3+ goals.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
What trouble was this ?

I was in the City centre from about 1.00pm and around the Anny Road til just before kick off . I seen no trouble and would've heard if there was as I know a few arl arses. Please tell me you are not on about bottles getting thrown at the City bus ? So once again what trouble are you on about and please state your sources.

Also.

We got attacked in 84 and 01 in Rome. Boro , Spurs , United and Chelsea or City ( cant remember ) have been attacked too. So you reep what you sow ? Please explain to me more . Ta.