g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Championship run in and battle for promotion

Enigma_87

You know who
Anyone follows the Championship run in? I think it has been very interesting last few games with Brighton, Boro and Burnley swapping position for the 1-3 in the table.

Here are the remaining fixtures for the top 3:

Boro:
Ipswich (H)
Birmingham (A)
Brighton (H)

Burnley:
Preston (A)
QPR (H)
Charlton (A)

Brighton:
Charlton (A)
Derby (H)
Boro (A)

Boro are top with 86 points with same GD as Burnley and + 4 goals compared to Brighton both are sitting at 84.

Huge last game for Boro and Brighton as well.

prath92

Advantage Burnley over Brighton. No way Brighton are going to win over Boro. They were thrashed 3-0 earlier in the season.

Enigma_87

You know who
I've never been a fan of the 3rd to 6th place playoff. Clubs have 42 games to determine their destiny.
Even 46.

I agree with you especially for this season. Brighton is 8 points ahead of Hull(although a game in hand).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think those three will go up anyway, one via the playoffs. Far and away the three best teams in the league.

I hope I'm wrong though, and Wednesday sneak up via the playoffs. I think they're just about there unless they make a bollocks of the last three games. They've played some great football, their best in a long, long time. Carvalhal has done such a good job this season after years and years of failures, relegation and mediocrity.

Enigma_87

You know who
Advantage Burnley over Brighton. No way Brighton are going to win over Boro. They were thrashed 3-0 earlier in the season.
Brighton are the most in form team in the league, won 24 points out of 30 possible in the last 10 games.

Boro and Burnley are not that far off with 22 in the last ten games. The three teams look in the best state of the moment.

Boro will be pretty hard for Brighton in the last game. I wouldn't be surprised if all teams finished on the same tally in the end. Possibly same GD as well :)

Rafateria

I'd love to see Brighton go up (make my 84 yr old father very happy - his hometown club). Tough to do it without going into the money-spinning playoffs though. Never know, Middlesbro are not playing as well as they were earlier in the season and Brighton have really hit top form. Burnley have the easier run-in and should go straight up.

Nanook

I've never been a fan of the 3rd to 6th place playoff. Clubs have 42 games to determine their destiny.
Without the play offs it would leave a lot of teams with nothing to play for in the last 10 or 15 games. After 30 games the teams who will finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be probably be in the top 7, the teams who will get relegated will be in the bottom 7 and then there's everybody in between.

vanthaman

Winner
Just want to point out that Brighton had 6 of the usual starting eleven that was unbeaten at the time out for that game

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I'm just pleased Bristol City have stayed up.

I would ideally like to see Brighton/Wednesday/Burnley be the three to come up, but I doubt SW will do it, they've slipped in form a fair bit.

I think the Championship is great - really underrated, competitive league.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm just pleased Bristol City have stayed up.

I would ideally like to see Brighton/Wednesday/Burnley be the three to come up, but I doubt SW will do it, they've slipped in form a fair bit.

I think the Championship is great - really underrated, competitive league.
I agree, hence making the thread. Couldn't find one on it and the race for the 2 top spots has been really fantastic these past weeks.

All three teams have been really consistent.

Really like Brighton to get the promotion, likable team.

Al-T

After today's results it could scarcely be closer with all three sides now level on points. Think Burnley are nailed on to go up with Boro and Brighton facing off in the last game and I can't see them dropping points against QPR or Charlton. Really hope Brighton make it. Chris Hughton is a fine man and a good manager and has turned Brighton from near relegation candidates last season under the gormless Hypia to the form team in the division playing exciting football.

prath92

Just want to point out that Brighton had 6 of the usual starting eleven that was unbeaten at the time out for that game
That is true yes. But Boro seemed extremely well drilled in both our league cup game and that game so that's why. Haven't followed them for months though

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Scenes if Wednesday make it. When was the last time Liverpool played at Hillsborough?

Enigma_87

You know who
Scenes if Wednesday make it. When was the last time Liverpool played at Hillsborough?
They play Cardiff at home in their next game. If they get a point they will be in the play offs for sure as they lead by 4. If they lose it will be one hell of a last round - Brighton and Boro fighting for direct promotion, Cardiff/Wednesday for playoffs and Burnley will most probably still need a point or three for direct promotion as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
As it stands

Boro:
Birmingham (A)
Brighton (H)

Burnley:
QPR (H)
Charlton (A)

Brighton:
Derby (H)
Boro (A)

1. Burnley 87 points + 33
2. Boro 87 points +32
3. Brighton 87 points +30

WhoDaGOAT

Two handy enough games for Burnley. They'll pick up 4 points, if not 6.

I'd expect them to finish 1st, with Middlesbrough coming in 2nd place.

A draw between Middlesbrough and Brighton is very likely.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Hope Wednesday makes it to the play offs. Surprised with Carlos Carvalhal work but he put them playing good football. It will be hard to get promotion to the Premier League this year but with the level of investment, they are top candidates for next year.

Boycott

They've played at Hillsborough plenty of times since the disaster. Wednesday were a top flight club up until the turn of the millennium.

Nickosaur

Huge games this long weekend. Boro away to Bham about to kick off. I want Brighton promoted so hoping Birmingham can nick something tonight.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope Hull win the Playoff- Bruce back in PL!

WhoDaGOAT

Anything other than a defeat for Burnley against QPR will basically see them almost clinch automatic promotion.

As thing stands, all three teams would be on 88 points heading into the final game.

The only way they can be caught out is if they lose next weekend and Brigton get a draw at Middlesbrough.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
..........................Pl..GD.Pts
1 Burnley............45.33...88
2 Middlesbrough..45..32...88
3 Brighton...........45..30..88

last games
Burnley - Queens Park Rangers
Charlton Athletic - Burnley
Middlesbrough - Brighton

Brophs

The One and Only
I really like Burnley as a club and Dyche as a manager. Also, with them having Heaton, Jones and Keane in the squad there's plenty of reason to want them to do well.

Kag

I really like Burnley as a club and Dyche as a manager. Also, with them having Heaton, Jones and Keane in the squad there's plenty of reason to want them to do well.
Michael Keane is a cracking young defender. I'm not at all surprised to see he's come straight back up with Burnley. He'll go on to bigger and better things, certainly.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You couldn't make this shit up! Middlesbrough and Brighton to slug it out for the automatic promotion spot on the last day after both drawing their penultimate games??

Wouldn't want to be one of their fans right now.

Fener1907

Delighted for Burnley. Not confident of it happening, but I'd love to see Brighton go up automatically with them. I always like seeing new teams in the Prem, or just not quite the usual teams (Norwich, Wolves, etc) in Burnley's case. Boro? I just remember them being a massive headache for United. They can stay in the Championship.