Change of mentality, finally?

IrishRedDevil

Bruno Fernandes: “I was really happy when I got in the dressing room and I saw everyone disappointed and saying the things we had to do better. You are creating a winning mentality and we are not happy with this point." #mulive [mutv]

Eriku

Pretty clear to see that we’ve been raising the bar.

Ironically a large swathe of our supporters claim that Ole’s been lowering it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's clear he's got it, not sure anyone else out there out of our old players have it. Defence has certainly not got it.

Deery

Dreary
I don’t think Pogba has a winning mentality, needed him today didn’t show up..

DickDastardly

It's been coming...slowly but we are making proper progress. Mentality wise at least.

Performances are still a bit underwhelming, at least for some of the players.

Martial's poor performances are mostly due to his poor mentality.
Pogba coming on today was poor, didn't affect the game in an way positive.

Others are mentally there or thereabout...we just need to pick up and go on.

We need to secure a easy win vs Wolves and continue the good form.

Anybody's Guess

Along with his performances, you just know that he holds the team to a higher standard. Should be made captain.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fact even the fans are crying about a point away to 2nd placed Leicester shows we are improving. We should have won, but usually we would end up losing those instead.

another 1 or 2 windows to get the right type of player in and get a few out that aren’t of the right quality / mentality and we will be ready IMO

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Make him captain already. He’s the heartbeat of this team.

Set the tone and raise the bar Bruno.
A lot of people are saying this but is it really important though? He's a leader, it's plain to see. Do we really need him to be wearing the armband?

RUCK4444

A lot of people are saying this but is it really important though? He's a leader, it's plain to see. Do we really need him to be wearing the armband?
Well it makes sense to, at the end of the day you want your captain to be the one who is the biggest leader.

No doubting he’s the biggest leader in the team, Maguire should be vice captain.

I think it would be a just reward for the exceptional start he’s had and the determination and desire he’s shown.

Conor

It's funny that when people on the forum say something similar to Fernandes about the game, they will have loads of people jump down their throats, saying they're never happy about anything. I wonder what their opinions on this quote are?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I honestly don’t think I’ve loved a player as much since Ronaldo.

SER19

It's funny that when people on the forum say something similar to Fernandes about the game, they will have loads of people jump down their throats, saying they're never happy about anything. I wonder what their opinions on this quote are?
Really? For saying something similar to fernandes?

hobbers

Not conceding 20 goals in the next 10 games would be a good start.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Its not quite there yet. We only have a 'damn can't believe we lost that' attitude but we really need a 'we are winners and we will do anything it takes to win attitude'. That'll come when we win some trophies.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Did anyone else notice when Leicester played the ball out in the final minutes and Bruno's proceeding throw-in? He threw it to the nearest defender and chased him down the moment he realised the defender was only interested in wasting time. And the defender was rattled like "wtf why aren't you letting me waste time" and was almost dispossessed. In the past there have been countless examples of our players throwing it straight to the keeper, who'd have the ball in his feet for 20 secs until he was chased down before picking it up and wasting another 20 secs.

It may seem like a minor detail but things like that are a key part of awareness and mentality. Reading the game situation at all times and never switching off. The whole squad can learn so much from Bruno.

Conor

Really? For saying something similar to fernandes?
In multiple threads it has been suggested that we should have won, or certain players should have done better in situations that could have lead to us winning, only to be met with responses boiling down to 'there is nothing wrong with that result, we can be happy with it, stop moaning about everything'. Given the context of how the game went, not just the result on paper, I personally wasn't happy with a draw, obviously the players weren't happy with one either, so why has any criticism of the performance been met with the responses I've mentioned above, from a decent amount of posters?

stubie

Fernandes is the player I wanted Veron and Anderson to be for us

arthurka

Not conceding 20 goals in the next 10 games would be a good start.
Right, these defenders never hold up their hand. They are never ever holding themselves up to any accountability regarding idiotic defending. They are giving away goals every single game. Soft and nice all the time.

Just look at the collective funk for the second yesterday, Shaw out of position and rushes out when Fred is already there. Shaw by the way had a good game but was like most games out of gas after 70 min. Harry in no man's land and Bailly ball watching the whole time. After going going up 2-1 with 10 min to go there should have been a leader there at the back hammering his players to keep focus and hold their positions but again we cannot hold out to save our lives. We are scoring goals now but we cannot keep expecting our frontline to score 3 every game.

Eriku

In multiple threads it has been suggested that we should have won, or certain players should have done better in situations that could have lead to us winning, only to be met with responses boiling down to 'there is nothing wrong with that result, we can be happy with it, stop moaning about everything'. Given the context of how the game went, not just the result on paper, I personally wasn't happy with a draw, obviously the players weren't happy with one either, so why has any criticism of the performance been met with the responses I've mentioned above, from a decent amount of posters?
It’s slightly different. We’re assessing the progress of the team, and giving credit to a process that is not finished yet and probably won’t yield a trophy. Our ex-players as pundits generally say we’re not there yet.

Players, on the other hand, are super competitive people at the top of their field in the world’s most popular sport, and HAVE to believe they have a solid shot at the Premiership this year, and should be harsher on themselves than we are. We’re supporters, after all.

Anyway, people disagreeing is not a big deal. I don’t think people on here have been witch-hunted for saying we should have won or performed better.

Bondi77

If over 100k a week does not come with a good mentality then I am missing something in the modern footballer.
Wolves looked decent against Spurs today but that was mainly Jose parking the bus but they will give us a good game I think.

SER19

You're exaggerating I think.

Conor

It’s slightly different. We’re assessing the progress of the team, and giving credit to a process that is not finished yet and probably won’t yield a trophy. Our ex-players as pundits generally say we’re not there yet.

Players, on the other hand, are super competitive people at the top of their field in the world’s most popular sport, and HAVE to believe they have a solid shot at the Premiership this year, and should be harsher on themselves than we are. We’re supporters, after all.

Anyway, people disagreeing is not a big deal. I don’t think people on here have been witch-hunted for saying we should have won or performed better.
The perspectives are different, yes, but my point still stands. It's difficult to post valid criticisms of anything on the forum, without being lumped into the same category as those that have no objectivity when it comes to players or the manager whatsoever.

Eriku

The perspectives are different, yes, but my point still stands. It's difficult to post valid criticisms of anything on the forum, without being lumped into the same category as those that have no objectivity when it comes to players or the manager whatsoever.
I think that’s more to do with people suggesting we’re not making progress. Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like people are receptive to level-headed criticism.

phenry

I'd like to see how maguire would react to loosing the captaincy. It's no great embarrassment loosing it to Bruno so it shouldnt have too bad of an impact. Maguire would be freed up to work on his defending. He's a good player but he doesnt need the burden of motivating the team and Bruno looks like he was born for it

Grande

I think possibly you could be mixing up one of a few things:

1. Feelings with evaluations. I felt disappointed after the game, yet I knew dominating the chances away to Leicester meant it was on the whole a good performance.

2. Hopes with expectations. I hope we win the league this year. We almost certainly won’t. I know we haven’t been near once in seven years, and expect us to be around 3rd give and take, and improve our points tally. We are in good stead to do that.

3. Critique with moaning. Critique is: This was good, that was bad, we have these good resources and we should do more of that to get more out of them. Moaning is: We’re shit. Wan Bissaka is a fraud. Ole is a golddigger. Why do we never score goals? Sack Fergie, sell Giggs.

4. (Most importantly) Players with fans. If Bruno tells Martial off after a draw, he might raise his game. If two million fans does it, he’s more likely to lose his confidence. Players’ unrealistic hopes work very differently from fans’ unrealistic expectations. They’re both irrational, but one’s an irrational resource, the other an irrational problem.

5. Me with Man Utd. I won the league thrice between 2006and 2009, so I know I’m hot. So why does this Lindelöf/Rashford/De Gea stab me in the back all the time?

I’m not saying this is you, but I do claim there are a few.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well it makes sense to, at the end of the day you want your captain to be the one who is the biggest leader.

No doubting he’s the biggest leader in the team, Maguire should be vice captain.

I think it would be a just reward for the exceptional start he’s had and the determination and desire he’s shown.
How are you going to say that to Maguire if you are Ole?

You don’t need to wear the armband to be leader, you need many different kind of leaders in the squad.

RUCK4444

How are you going to say that to Maguire if you are Ole?

You don’t need to wear the armband to be leader, you need many different kind of leaders in the squad.
I agree it would be harsh to take it from Maguire. Perhaps wait until he’s out/rested and then give Bruno a few games as captain then ease it across to him over time.

That said leadership on the pitch has been severely lacking in this team for a long time which in my opinion contributes to our inconsistency, lack of players on the pitch demanding more.

We need leaders on the pitch, I don’t believe much in the importance of the captains armband however due to the lack of leaders we’ve had I would consider doing this.

Bruno is far more vocal, you can often see him pointing where he wants runners etc, he initiates and does most of the pressing from the front, he’s far more influential on his teammates than Maguire.

Shiva87

Okay, no one disputing (in multiple threads) that we should have won or certain players could do better.

However, in the context of the season the Leicester result wasn't a bad one, it was strictly okay. A win would have put is in a much better position in the table. Most posters are rationalising their disappointment of not winning that game with the fact that the result in isolation is a decent one, specially after Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea have also dropped points.

Also, your unhappiness with a draw is different from the players being unhappy. You never want your team (which is actually competing on the field) to be satisfied with a draw. That's what urges them to be better. However, as a fan, sometimes OTT reactions to poor results need to be tempered as we need to accept that you can't win every game (even if you want to!).

Zen86

He’s obviously mistaken. I’ve been well informed from the caf that standards are being lowered.

Born2Lose

No surprise adding Bruno in that dressing room has been a big help. Further adding Cavani must have too.

Two professional players who lead by example and won't put up with crap.

Fluctuation0161

I agree. I think leave it how it is. He is so influential, he doesn't need to be captain.

However, I don't think Maguire has the right mentality or behaviours to be captain.