Charlie Patino | Arsenal U23

Hoof the ball

So, Arteta is promoting this kid to the first team squad. Very, very highly rated, and according to their own scouts the most talented player they've ever had in their academy.

Had something of a masterclass in the EFL Trophy versus Swindon Town a week ago.

Here's the performance vid of his contribution in that game. Brilliant acceleration and dribble decisions in tight spaces. Seemingly impervious to one-on-one pressure, very calm on the ball and creative. Definitely one to keep an eye on. Heard Barca are sniffing around him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So, Arteta is promoting this kid to the first team squad. Very, very highly rated, and according to their own scouts the most talented player they've ever had in their academy.

Had something of a masterclass in the EFL Trophy versus Swindon Town a week ago.

Here's the performance vid of his contribution in that game. Brilliant acceleration and dribble decisions in tight spaces. Seemingly impervious to one-on-one pressure, very calm on the ball and creative. Definitely one to keep an eye on. Heard Barca are sniffing around him.

It'll be interesting to see if Arteta promotes him to the first team. Aston Villa have already started giving minutes to midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka who is also 17.

Patino does look a talent but from the games I've watched him play, it would be a brave move to promote him to the first team IMO. I did watch their game against Swindon and those stats seem to be somewhat misleading because I can't remember him attempting 15 dribbles nevermind completing them. Swindon had bulk of the possession and won the game 2-1.

Maybe the interest from Barcelona is forcing Arsenal and Arteta to promote him early?. From what I've read online, Arsenal couldn't tie him down past 2023 and have to wait until the player turns 18 next month before offering him a longer term contract.

Hoof the ball

It'll be interesting to see if Arteta promotes him to the first team. Aston Villa have already started giving minutes to midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka who is also 17.

Patino does look a talent but from the games I've watched him play, it would be a brave move to promote him to the first team IMO. I did watch their game against Swindon and those stats seem to be somewhat misleading because I can't remember him attempting 15 dribbles nevermind completing them. Swindon had bulk of the possession and won the game 2-1.

Maybe the interest from Barcelona is forcing Arsenal and Arteta to promote him early?. From what I've read online, Arsenal couldn't tie him down past 2023 and have to wait until the player turns 18 next month before offering him a longer term contract.
I think perhaps those dribbles include the small moments when he's stepped out of a high pressure from an individual or group into space to advance. Essentially the kind of thing Iniesta and Xavi used to do ad-infinitum. It's technically a dribble, but I don't suppose it's how people would categorise it in general, though.

Yep, apparently the Swindon game and the Barca interest is what has hastened the decision on Arteta's part. Lots of Arsenal fans hoping that this is some kind of Cesc moment, but how many have we seen this talented come through and struggle with the spike in intensity?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think perhaps those dribbles include the small moments when he's stepped out of a high pressure from an individual or group into space to advance. Essentially the kind of thing Iniesta and Xavi used to do ad-infinitum. It's technically a dribble, but I don't suppose it's how people would categorise it in general, though.

Yep, apparently the Swindon game and the Barca interest is what has hastened the decision on Arteta's part. Lots of Arsenal fans hoping that this is some kind of Cesc moment, but how many have we seen this talented come through and struggle with the spike in intensity?
Sofascore have him completing 3 out of 4 dribbles.

We've seen a number of players that have fallen by the wayside. But if he does get a opportunity then I hope he does well because I always want young players to do well when making their first steps into the first team. But I do think Arsenal will likely play him due to the fear of losing him to a rival club like Barca at this stage of his career.

AFC NimbleThumb

If he’s as good as they say I’m glad they’re throwing him into that car crash of a squad; hopefully Auba takes him under his wing.

If he’s not really going to be playing I’d be keeping him away from that first team squad until a few more departures occur.