Charlie Patino

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People are starting to rave about this player. Scored a nice goal against United U23 at the weekend. What do the Arsenal fans here think about him?

Threesus

Twitter was saying that he showed up Hannibal. Here’s hoping he is another jack wilshere.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's been hyped for a couple of years now. The guys that discovered him see him as a bigger talent than Wilshere.

Arsenal scout Brian Stapleton went even further: “Sean O’Connor discovered Jack Wilshere and he said to me that Charlie [Patino] is the best player who has ever walked through the doors at Hale End.

“There is a pathway that Arsenal have got for him and he’s probably going down the same pathway as Phil Foden at Manchester City.”

It's how these boys translate their talent to the first team that really counts. Seen countless hyped players not make much of an impact at senior level.

Here was his goal vs Utd from the weekend. That's Phil Jones & Dean Henderson.

https://youtube.com/shorts/M8cvj7fD00I?feature=share

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Twitter was saying that he showed up Hannibal. Here’s hoping he is another jack wilshere.
Are you hoping his career gets ruined by injuries ? Anyway he's starting to get noticed and got invited to train with the first team. He played 60mn against Brentford behind closed doors when Elneny got injured. There is still a long way to go but coaches thinks he's up there with the best that came through Colney.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The English Frenkie De Jong by the looks of it.

I was gutted the game wasn't on not only because I like watching our u23s, but I was looking forward to seeing this kid.

Better than Zelalem?
I think so. Zelalem's main strength was his press resistance (made pirouettes just like De Jong) but was pretty safe in possession. Patino is just as press resistant with those turns, but can also carry the ball with his dribbling and has a good range of passing.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The English Frenkie De Jong by the looks of it.

I was gutted the game wasn't on not only because I like watching our u23s, but I was looking forward to seeing this kid.

I think so. Zelalem's main strength was his press resistance (made pirouettes just like De Jong) but was pretty safe in possession. Patino is just as press resistant with those turns, but can also carry the ball with his dribbling and has a good range of passing.
Interesting, thank you!

I have heard the next Frenkie de Jong already a few times and it always makes me doubtful. His skill set is very unique and matches by an incredible physique with speed, balance and awesome stamina. His reading of the game is close to none, would be great for England.

However Southgate would probably play Rice and Phillips anyway, even Bellingham doesnt get in, not much older than Patino which is surprising.

avgp_1

England have some insane talents coming through in midfield with Bate, McAtee, Patino, Azeez, Elliot all born around a year of each other. Some depth that is

Yagami

Good post resistant
Interesting, thank you!

I have heard the next Frenkie de Jong already a few times and it always makes me doubtful. His skill set is very unique and matches by an incredible physique with speed, balance and awesome stamina. His reading of the game is close to none, would be great for England.

However Southgate would probably play Rice and Phillips anyway, even Bellingham doesnt get in, not much older than Patino which is surprising.
I saw this last week but thought you (or anyone else interested) might like to see him against a senior side:

You can see the De Jong resemblance with those turns. At 17 years old, against men, to turn under pressure and keep the ball was, to me, very impressive regardless of Swindons level. I have big hopes for this kid.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's been hyped for a couple of years now. The guys that discovered him see him as a bigger talent than Wilshere.

Arsenal scout Brian Stapleton went even further: “Sean O’Connor discovered Jack Wilshere and he said to me that Charlie [Patino] is the best player who has ever walked through the doors at Hale End.

“There is a pathway that Arsenal have got for him and he’s probably going down the same pathway as Phil Foden at Manchester City.”

It's how these boys translate their talent to the first team that really counts. Seen countless hyped players not make much of an impact at senior level.

Here was his goal vs Utd from the weekend. That's Phil Jones & Dean Henderson.

https://youtube.com/shorts/M8cvj7fD00I?feature=share
That is actually Phil Jones being left on the floor :lol:

I just checked out some his highlights. Maybe I'm being fooled by the shirt, but his running style reminds me of Wilshere. He looks talented alright, well as much as one can glean from highlight videos that are intended to, you know, highlight good bits.

Yagami

Good post resistant

I just checked out some his highlights. Maybe I'm being fooled by the shirt, but his running style reminds me of Wilshere. He looks talented alright, well as much as one can glean from highlight videos that are intended to, you know, highlight good bits.
The shirt and being another left footed DLP who carries the ball well. Personally, as I was a right footed player, left footers really stand out to me!

Though I see more of De Jong than Wilshere.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He is a very bright talent but you never know. The next jump is the hardest one and many players of his level haven't made it.

In terms of playing style, if you're looking for an Arsenal comparison then I think he is more Liam Brady than Jack Wilshere. Not that I'd predict him to be that good of course, just in terms of the combination of attributes he currently shows. Wilshere had great technique and incredible dribbling ability before the injuries, using his quickness to accelerate past just about anybody, yet always lacked a little bit between the ears and was on the small side for a central midfielder. Patino isn't nearly as dynamic a dribbler or as quick over short distances, but he has a much better passing range, he is physically bigger and stronger, and I think he has a better natural footballing brain. He's the type of player who doesn't seem faster or quicker than the opponents yet somehow he always has time on the ball, doesn't have much trouble getting away from or spinning a man when needed, and always seems to know what his next move will be.

Naturally, that's all at youth level. You never how it will translate at the next level when everything moves that much quicker and everybody is a little bit faster and better.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Jones being left on the floor & Dean Henderson in goals.

Yeah, he looks good, as Powderfinger has said there's a bit of Brady & Wilshere about him. Whereas Jack was short & then became stocky, Patino looks a bit more rangey in his height & running style.

Like others have said, you never know how these young players make the step up. I was sure Reiss Nelson was going to be a star as he was on a par with his mate from childhood Sancho growing up, but he's just not translated his talent into senior football yet.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Going from strength to strength:

This wasn't even everything. There's a couple of other chances he created that didn't make the video.

17 years old and u23 football is already looking too easy for him. Not that it'll happen, but I'd love for us to go for him ASAP.

Classical Mechanic

Going from strength to strength:

This wasn't even everything. There's a couple of other chances he created that didn't make the video.

17 years old and u23 football is already looking too easy for him. Not that it'll happen, but I'd love for us to go for him ASAP.
This is the shorter version

Wonder if he'll be involved in the Carabaro Cup this week.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another promising showing against us:

I have high hopes for this kid. I'm jealous that Arsenal have him, but, from an English POV, I'm excited. We desperately need a central midfielder of this ilk.

Classical Mechanic

I have high hopes for this kid. I'm jealous that Arsenal have him, but, from an English POV, I'm excited. We desperately need a central midfielder of this ilk.
Injury prone though. Looks like he finished that game injured too! Dan Gore at United is similar in style.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Injury prone though. Looks like he finished that game injured too! Dan Gore at United is similar in style.
Yeah, that's the worry...

As he's so good at keeping the ball under pressure, he has no issue holding it instead of passing when there's a player on him, which results in him getting knocked around a lot. One of the drawbacks to that ability. See that La Pelopina turn in his own box? De Jong-esque!

I think the only midfielder we have like him is Galbraith in terms of being the deepest midfielder who's press resistant. The likes of Mejbri, Iqbal, Gore, whilst press resistant and promising, don't strike me as being the 6 in midfield.

Classical Mechanic

As he's so good at keeping the ball under pressure, he has no issue holding it instead of passing when there's a player on him, which results in him getting knocked around a lot. One of the drawbacks to that ability. See that La Pelopina turn in his own box? De Jong-esque!

I think the only midfielder we have like him is Galbraith in terms of being the deepest midfielder who's press resistant. The likes of Mejbri, Iqbal, Gore, whilst press resistant and promising, don't strike me as being the 6 in midfield.
Gore played as the 6 in that video I posted in his thread. Hopefully United play him there more. Patino plays more advanced as well at times. He also likes to drive through midfield. Patino is definitely the type of player that England need though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I actually didn't think he played that well against us the other night.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Looks like he's outgrown this level.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Gore played as the 6 in that video I posted in his thread. Hopefully United play him there more. Patino plays more advanced as well at times. He also likes to drive through midfield. Patino is definitely the type of player that England need though.
I posted one of his recent performance against Blackburn just below your post, too! Looked like he was a 6 there as well next to Mainoo. I actually would like to see him make the 6 position his own but I just feel like he'll end up as an 8. The aforementioned players I mentioned have played games for us as a 6 as well, but they all scream 8s to me.

I actually didn't think he played that well against us the other night.
Definitely wasn't one of his best games but I believe that was only his second game since coming back from injury. I just love how he not only has the ability, but the confidence to pull a La Pelopina turn in his own box to get away from the pressure we were applying.

mu4c_20le

Looks like he's outgrown this level.
Lots of kids look like world beaters at that level. He has yet to make the step up, as hes looked invisible and out of his depth when he played for the first team this season. So he's in a similar position with Garner.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

He just doesn't have a grown man's body right now. The talent in terms of technique, movement, and football IQ is really impressive and he likely doesn't have too much more to learn against U23 competition, but he just isn't strong enough for senior level football. He'll be pushed off the ball too easily and probably wind up getting hurt.

It will be interesting to see what Arsenal does with him but I think he'll stay with us next year and probably play U23s again with a few shots at senior level. If we end up in the Europa League, he'll play in at least some of those group stage matches and the League Cup, while generally just trying to work on developing his body. It is trickier if we make the CL because he won't play unless its a total dead rubber. But I'm not sure a loan is a great option either as he'll get smashed in the Championship or League One too and if you take him away from the club they can exert less influence over his weight training and those aspects of his development.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lots of kids look like world beaters at that level. He has yet to make the step up, as hes looked invisible and out of his depth when he played for the first team this season. So he's in a similar position with Garner.
That's true. This is a well trodden path. Talented youth players eventually get to a point where they're at a crossroads - they've outgrown youth football and not really getting much out of it except keeping fit but not quite ready to make the step up to the first team. Maybe a loan of some kind to a German or Dutch club could be the answer for him?

Classical Mechanic

He's 18 so it's not much of a surprise that he's not progressed from u23s yet. There are few 18 year old players in the Premier League. I think Livramento might have been the only regular this season.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He's 18 so it's not much of a surprise that he's not progressed from u23s yet. There are few 18 year old players in the Premier League. I think Livramento might have been the only regular this season.
Very true. This is also his first year at U23 level and he only made it through half a season before getting hurt.

tomaldinho1

Done his ACL now sadly so will be out for some time as well. Elanga is probably one of the youngest regulars these days as he turned 20 yesterday.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He just doesn't have a grown man's body right now. The talent in terms of technique, movement, and football IQ is really impressive and he likely doesn't have too much more to learn against U23 competition, but he just isn't strong enough for senior level football. He'll be pushed off the ball too easily and probably wind up getting hurt.

It will be interesting to see what Arsenal does with him but I think he'll stay with us next year and probably play U23s again with a few shots at senior level. If we end up in the Europa League, he'll play in at least some of those group stage matches and the League Cup, while generally just trying to work on developing his body. It is trickier if we make the CL because he won't play unless its a total dead rubber. But I'm not sure a loan is a great option either as he'll get smashed in the Championship or League One too and if you take him away from the club they can exert less influence over his weight training and those aspects of his development.
I definitely don't think another year with the U23s is a bad idea. I agree with @WeePat that he already looks to good for this level, but staying with you whilst giving his body time to grow with the occasional first team game should be fine.

If he did go out on loan, it definitely should be to a team that intends on playing possession football. Maybe a Norwich as they've shown interest in loaning these types of players before in Spurs' Skipp and Chelsea's Gilmour.
Honestly, when I see how much someone like Patino struggles with first team football, it makes me remember how incredible the likes of Rooney and Fabregas were!

Classical Mechanic

Honestly, when I see how much someone like Patino struggles with first team football, it makes me remember how incredible the likes of Rooney and Fabregas were!
Don't forget Tom Davies :smirk:

Even in The Championship there aren't many. I can think of Levi Colwill and Alex Scott from this season, there are probably a few others.

Righteous Steps

I definitely don't think another year with the U23s is a bad idea. I agree with @WeePat that he already looks to good for this level, but staying with you whilst giving his body time to grow with the occasional first team game should be fine.

If he did go out on loan, it definitely should be to a team that intends on playing possession football. Maybe a Norwich as they've shown interest in loaning these types of players before in Spurs' Skipp and Chelsea's Gilmour.

Those two were one-offs!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Even Wilshere. Obviously he didn't go on to fulfil his potential because of injuries, by this age Wilshere was about to make his England debut.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Shows how mad Bellingham is that he's still only 18 but has 131 games clocked for Dortmund and Birmingham. :eek:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Even Wilshere. Obviously he didn't go on to fulfil his potential because of injuries, by this age Wilshere was about to make his England debut.
I think Jack is the ultimate cautionary tale. He was about as old as Patino is now when he started the 2010-11 season and was badly overplayed by Wenger. Then he gets the stress fracture in his ankle the next summer - quite possibly due to being overplayed at such a young age in the previous season - and is dogged by ankle injuries the rest of his career.

Wenger played him in 49 matches in the 2010-11 season that he started at age 18, it was really stupid and it might have ruined him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Shows how mad Bellingham is that he's still only 18 but has 131 games clocked for Dortmund and Birmingham. :eek:
True, could possibly also mean he'll be done at the top level by 30 or even before then.