Cheap Backup Strikers

Number32

Why do we need a striker? Least of our concerns.
Least our concerns right now but will be a problem in the future. Woodward needs more than 6 month to make a bid, so it is the perfect time to start negotiation.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Thread was made before Ighalo loan was extended and when there were reports that he would go back to China. We obviously don't need a back up striker now

Charles89

Even after Ighalo's loan in January, I'd love us to keep him for another year or so, just to give us that extra option and a "just in case" if 2 of our front 3 is injured or needs resting.

Since he's a United fan, he understands the club and actually wants to be here and plays for the badge. I reckon he'd be okay with the Ole role, while possibly winning a trophy or two before the end of his career at the top.

Reactions: Penna

SAFMUTD

Ive always liked Ben Yedder he seems as a true number 9 from the old days.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
On the Athletic podcast they talk about Ole being quite open to signing a RW and ST this week even saying he sees that as a priority over other positions.

Lynty

Least our concerns right now but will be a problem in the future. Woodward needs more than 6 month to make a bid, so it is the perfect time to start negotiation.
Can't see it myself.

Not when we have to spend in other areas. Even if Martial breaks his leg in August, we'd likely be OK with Igahlo, Greenwood and Rashford so long as we bring Sancho in.

Ighalo loan gives us another 6 months to develop Greenwood, who's already looking better than most of the £20-£30m deals we could do.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Yeah starting to think this is far from a priority provided we sign a first team RW. A RW signing automatically gives extra room for Martial/Rashford/Greenwood to compete for 2 out of 3 positions. On top of that we still have Ighalo until January 2021 and James as depth.

theklr

Josh King .

- Ole was talking about King pre and post match like a pimp
- he’ll go cheap when relegated
- close friend is his agent
- tried getting him in Jan.
- rumoured to have promised him the transfer
- actually similar to Ighalo

Dunno what I think about it, but seems very obvious

jamesjimmybyrondean

Josh King .

Really? :lol: What did he say? I actually think Josh King is who we will get after Ighalo

neilv93

King or even Wilson if Bournemouth go down would be good options - particularly King as he'd presumably fall into the 'club grown' category. Likewise, depending on who else goes down, Pukki (good eye for goal in an attacking Norwich team) and Haller would both respectively be decent options, though Haller wouldn't be 'cheap' I don't think.

Failing that, Mandzukic is available for free and Cavani is out of contract this summer but we'll obviously just stick with Ighalo for now and find a more long-term solution in the meantime.

croadyman

King or even Wilson if Bournemouth go down would be good options - particularly King as he'd presumably fall into the 'club grown' category. Likewise, depending on who else goes down, Pukki (good eye for goal in an attacking Norwich team) and Haller would both respectively be decent options, though Haller wouldn't be 'cheap' I don't think.

Failing that, Mandzukic is available for free and Cavani is out of contract this summer but we'll obviously just stick with Ighalo for now and find a more long-term solution in the meantime.
My gut feeling is that we are looking for stop gaps until Haaland's clause becomes active and then expect him to be our priority.

Number32

Can't see it myself.

Not when we have to spend in other areas. Even if Martial breaks his leg in August, we'd likely be OK with Igahlo, Greenwood and Rashford so long as we bring Sancho in.

Ighalo loan gives us another 6 months to develop Greenwood, who's already looking better than most of the £20-£30m deals we could do.
Right now, Greenwood is developing to be a winger like Rashford does. He might be a great striker in the future, but his 18 yo body is not ready yet.

They are all young though, Ighalo is the only one who can take the pressure from them. Centre Forward is the toughest position on the pitch, you'll get isolated for 90+ minutes by 2 grown men centre halves, not the boys from academy or reserves games.

Even if he managed to be a great striker in 6 months, Greenwood would be another Michael Owen who had short career because of the pressures he will has while playing as centre forward.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Right now, Greenwood is developing to be a winger like Rashford does. He might be a great striker in the future, but his 18 yo body is not ready yet.

They are all young though, Ighalo is the only one who can take the pressure from them. Centre Forward is the toughest position on the pitch, you'll get isolated for 90+ minutes by 2 grown men centre halves, not the boys from academy or reserves games.

Even if he managed to be a great striker in 6 months, Greenwood would be another Michael Owen who had short career because of the pressures he will has while playing as centre forward.
Jeez do people say the same for Mbappe? Or Messi when he was coming up?

Lynty

Obviously he'll be third choice striker though. Nobody is expecting him to be regularly starting games and spending 90 mins being kicked by center backs, if at all. If we can't get Ighalo to extended in Jan, then we bring in another stop gap (or bring in a starter if Martial returns to inconsistency).

Currently, this is the very least of our worries. Literally, LW is the only position when we have more quality cover than at striker.

croadyman

On the Athletic podcast they talk about Ole being quite open to signing a RW and ST this week even saying he sees that as a priority over other positions.
Yeah that is very true and presume they are talking about backup strikers

Hammer_st

If we are just looking for a cheap back-up strikter, I think Anthony Modeste would be a great choice.

Mark Pawelek

Duvan Zapata next summer.
Would not be cheap. His contract has 3 more years to run. At 29, he's at the peak of his career. His club: Atalanta, are 3rd place in Serie A with the best recent record of 6 straight wins. He's a starter for club. Would he come to United to become an impact reserve? He's cost £50m+.

NYAS

Would not be cheap. His contract has 3 more years to run. At 29, he's at the peak of his career. His club: Atalanta, are 3rd place in Serie A with the best recent record of 6 straight wins. He's a starter for club. Would he come to United to become an impact reserve? He's cost £50m+.
Still would be cheaper than Raul. I don’t want to buy another club’s back-up. I want quality off the bench. We’re Man Utd.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This will be assessed in January window I’d imagine when Ighalo leaves. Greenwood may be ready to play centrally by then, especially if Sancho has come in too.

Web of Bissaka

Josh King .

I don't mind him.
He played well against us, his presence is always there. Good constant threat.

Would be a good back-up and offer what we don't have post-Ighalo -- good CF post-play.

Ighalo is only until Jan, so half a season? (not sure how next season will happen).

Web of Bissaka

If we are just looking for a cheap back-up strikter, I think Anthony Modeste would be a great choice.
Would be expensive - his contract has 3 more years to run. He's 32 - so we'd not give him more than a 2 year contract. His stats are very modest. I don't see it.
Doesn't matter.

We should modestly get him on loan, similar to Ighalo if his club at chinese league don't want to loan no more.

joedirt87

Mario Mandzukic is a free agent. He should be fresh after barely playing all year.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Extending Ighalo would be my first choice but King on a cheap deal would be sweet also. Needs to be someone happy to come off bench or cover injury, yet still good enough to cause mischief.

SAFMUTD

Josh King .

How are they similar? I seen them as completely different strikers. Ighalo being a physical box striker, while King is a support striker.

RC89

Even after Ighalo's loan in January, I'd love us to keep him for another year or so, just to give us that extra option and a "just in case" if 2 of our front 3 is injured or needs resting.

Since he's a United fan, he understands the club and actually wants to be here and plays for the badge. I reckon he'd be okay with the Ole role, while possibly winning a trophy or two before the end of his career at the top.
Agreed. And you could see this immediately from his first game. Clearly a very motivated player.