Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Cannot imagine us going after Fekir as a winger with Willian staying and Pedro extending his deal. If Fekir is an option still it's surely to play that advanced midfield role where I think he's better anyways. But it looks like Kovacic is the target now so Fekir won't happen.

Willian + Pedro as RW options and Hazard + CHO as LW options. Plus, we all forget about Moses who Sarri obviously sees as an attacker rather than a wingback.
I'm still not convinced Willian is staying - if United make a reasonable bid I'd expect him to go. According to Willian the only team that was in for him was Barcelona, and given his love of Mourinho I could see it happening. But yeah you're broadly right and I agree; I'd play Fekir as an 8 in a 4-3-3 as I think that's where he's most effective outside of the 10.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Anything concrete regarding Fekir? It'd be interesting to see what happens if he has a Chelsea medical. Could be a repeat of the Remy situation.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I hope you're joking? Kepa is not an upgrade on Courtois, Zaha is good but nothing special and won't be a starter probably, and Fékir is an injury risk. Add to that you have a new manager whose system needs time to implement and you're never winning the league this year.
"sighs"

It was a joke, City are going to win this league this year barring them imploding on themselves, don't see any of the other top 6 being strong enough.

Kapardin

Zaha, Fekir and Kovacic will be brilliant deals if Chelsea get them all done. Surely would make them favorites for 3rd despite not being glamorous signings. They will fit Sarri's system.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The Daily Express is just now reporting that Chelsea have "sealed a deal" to sign Kepa Arrizabalaga of Athletico Bilbao. £72m release clause.

If it were another paper I might be happy.

Let's see. If it's true I am happy as the guy is meant to be very good,and he's only 23.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Zaha, Fekir and Kovacic will be brilliant deals if Chelsea get them all done. Surely would make them favorites for 3rd despite not being glamorous signings. They will fit Sarri's system.
I don't think so honestly. As down as the locals are on United, I still can't see them finishing outside of the top 3. Regardless of what you think of him & his style of football, Mou is a proven winner, and he'll continue to do well.

Robbie Boy

I think Chelsea will be relegation candidates this season. Morata will single handedly bring ‘em down.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Don't know why people think we're after Zaha or Fekir or any RW at this stage. Willian is staying, guys. Most of us wanted an upgrade but it ain't happening this summer.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Chelsea will be relegation candidates this season. Morata will single handedly bring ‘em down.
I think you typoed? Utd for Chelsea and Mourinho for Morata, autocorrect maybe?? :lol::lol::lol:.

Hoping that Express story is true but won't be counting any chickens until the club annouces the deals.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Courtois is certainly the better & more proven keeper right now, but from what I've seen Kepa should be a good fit for Sarri's style. Looks comfortable with the ball on his feet.

Robbie Boy

I think you typoed? Utd for Chelsea and Mourinho for Morata, autocorrect maybe?? :lol::lol::lol:.

Hoping that Express story is true but won't be counting any chickens until the club annouces the deals.
Mourinho and Morata the dream duo to take both of us down.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Courtois is certainly the better & more proven keeper right now, but from what I've seen Kepa should be a good fit for Sarri's style. Looks comfortable with the ball on his feet.
Agreed. We definitely will be more vulnerable on setpieces and from crosses by replacing Courtois with Kepa, but will get a clear upgrade when it comes to distribution and will not lose much of anything when it comes to shot stopping.

He may take a while to adapt to the PL but it did so for DDG as well. I remember loads of United fans questioning whether or not he'd be good enough during his early days.

jmaggio

I have a feeling Chelsea could be right up there with City this season. Sarriball, if played effectively, would be very suited to the PL in a similar way that Klopp's football is.

I've never minded the club or their fans too much either, hope they push Scouse and Spuds away from those top places.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I have a feeling Chelsea could be right up there with City this season. Sarriball, if played effectively, would be very suited to the PL in a similar way that Klopp's football is.

I've never minded the club or their fans too much either, hope they push Scouse and Spuds away from those top places.
There's no chance of that this season. It'll take a while for the players to get used to the new style. We'll do really well to get top 4.

liamp

It will take longer than one season for him to get his system in place IMO. There's a pretty tangible shift between his style and Conte's style. I could see them challenging next season

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

They are on the boom side of their boom-bust cycle. Realistically, I don't think they've strengthened enough and it might take some time for Sarri to implement his style.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
I hope you're joking? Kepa is not an upgrade on Courtois, Zaha is good but nothing special and won't be a starter probably, and Fékir is an injury risk. Add to that you have a new manager whose system needs time to implement and you're never winning the league this year.
yea because we don\t have a history of winning the league with a new manager and new squad. Oh wait Jose Carlo and Conte.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Ins this window -

Jorghinho, Kovacic, Kepa, RLC, Hudson Odoi, Ampadu.

I would class the above youth players in this as they are still strengthening our squad, obviously I know they are not actually new signings.

If we could just get a deal for Martial/Zaha/Fekir done I would rate our window a 10/10.

Baka and a few others will be set to leave.

Really hope we don't loan Michy though.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Kepa has triggered his release clause so looking good on the deal. We're paying £40m + courtois effectively and he's only 23. Likely to be Spain number 1, was RMs first choice and he'll be better than Courtois after he's settled imo. Also good for Morata.

Kovacic coming the other way, having his medical I think, also will solve our midfield conundrum. Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic. Up to others to play there way in.

Just need an attacker, Zaha, Fekir Maybe?

Then we need to sell / loan quite a few players as squad is far too big. Time for that though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Midfield of Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic.
That has serious potential.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Kepa has triggered his release clause so looking good on the deal. We're paying £40m + courtois effectively and he's only 23. Likely to be Spain number 1, was RMs first choice and he'll be better than Courtois after he's settled imo. Also good for Morata.

Kovacic coming the other way, having his medical I think, also will solve our midfield conundrum. Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic. Up to others to play there way in.

Just need an attacker, Zaha, Fekir Maybe?

Then we need to sell / loan quite a few players as squad is far too big. Time for that though.
My understanding of the situation is that the clubs have to name their 25 man squad when the window shuts. Chelsea have to offload by the time the window shuts. I presume any players not named would have to go abroad. The club would also be on the backfoot with any negotiations because the buying team would know you cannot keep the player.

It's all a bit of a cock up really because what if say Real Madrid came in and made an offer for one of our named players. I suspect we would have to go the whole season with a 24man squad.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Aren't they offensively a bit lightweight? It remains to be seen if Pedro/Willian can add enough goals to their team.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
My understanding of the situation is that the clubs have to name their 25 man squad when the window shuts. Chelsea have to offload by the time the window shuts. I presume any players not named would have to go abroad. The club would also be on the backfoot with any negotiations because the buying team would know you cannot keep the player.

It's all a bit of a cock up really because what if say Real Madrid came in and made an offer for one of our named players. I suspect we would have to go the whole season with a 24man squad.
You would think the squad registration date is the same as last year?, i.e after the window shuts for sales to Europe / Other on 1st of September. I just tried to google it though and couldn't find the answer? It would be a bit silly if clubs have to name their squads tomorrow and then end up selling multiple players abroad in the next 3 weeks. I wouldn't put it past the league though..

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
My ideal XI:

----------------------Kepa-----------------------
Azpi--------Christensen-----Rüdiger---------Emerson
-------------------Jorginho----------------------
---------Kante-------------Kovacic--------------
Wilian-------------Morata---------------Hazard

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
You would think the squad registration date is the same as last year?, i.e after the window shuts for sales to Europe / Other on 1st of September. I just tried to google it though and couldn't find the answer? It would be a bit silly if clubs have to name their squads tomorrow and then end up selling multiple players abroad in the next 3 weeks. I wouldn't put it past the league though..
I Googled it and got nowhere as well.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
My ideal XI:

Exactly this, alternatively if we can learn to play Sarri's way and keep the ball on the deck. Then a front 3 of ...

Willian --- Hazard --- Hudson Odoi

RedorDead21

My ideal XI:

I've got Luiz in my dream team! Isn't he gonna play? You think this is the likely team or just what you wanna see?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hard to see where the goals come from, really. Morata’s highest tally is 15, Willian’s is 8. Hazard once hit 16 but he’s always been far more of a creator than a goalscorer anyway.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I've got Luiz in my dream team! Isn't he gonna play? You think this is the likely team or just what you wanna see?
Think he'll get plenty of games but hopefully not against the top teams. He's still very useful but too unpredictable against top attacking sides. Saw that against City the other day when Aguero repeatedly destroyed him.

RedorDead21

Think he'll get plenty of games but hopefully not against the top teams. He's still very useful but too unpredictable against top attacking sides. Saw that against City the other day when Aguero repeatedly destroyed him.
I need regular starters buddy I'm going for the title!!

Sb_16

Sarri thinks it'll take 2-3 months to become a very good team. How was Napoli before him? He seems confident in this methods considering its a leap from Conte to his style.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Hard to see where the goals come from, really. Morata’s highest tally is 15, Willian’s is 8. Hazard once hit 16 but he’s always been far more of a creator than a goalscorer anyway.
Looks like we're hoping more control and possession in midfield will lead to more quality service to our attackers. Only explanation I can come up with. The club are really banking on Morata becoming the player we hoped we'd be getting.

We absolutely must get around 20 league goals from Morata. Looks as though Batshuayi will stay so he could be an option if Morata struggles again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Any worries that the Kovacic deal may fall through pending the potential Modric/Inter transfer?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Bakayoko is probably off to Milan:

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/milan-terminato-lincontro-per-bakayoko-le-immagini

Can't see many Chelsea fans being too upset, I actually think he's got great potential, he needs to play though and he won't in our new system.

Fully expecting goals to be spread out through the team, as they were in Sarri's Napoli team. His style is very attacking compared to Conte / Mourinho, we should create a lot of chances, having 3 midfielders who know how to play the style already was pretty key it seems like we'll have that as long as all goes as planned.

I expect Morata, Willian, Hazard, Pedro to all get double figures, we also have Batman who got 9/14 for Dortmund, and Giroud off the bench, he was prolific in that role for Arsenal last year. The attacking midfielder/s should also get a lot of chances and I wouldn't be surprised to see Luiz / Rudiger score a few from set pieces as well.

We also have Fabregas to fit in somewhere who can be very creative for short periods in games even if he doesn't have the legs, especially against the better teams.

Sigma

I don't think Kovacic is going to improve them much.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Kovacic is going to improve them much.
He's one of the best dribbling midfielders in Europe and will presumably be competing with Cesc, Barkley, and RLC for that advanced midfield spot. Don't see how he's anything other than a pretty significant upgrade.

Sigma

He's one of the best dribbling midfielders in Europe and will presumably be competing with Cesc, Barkley, and RLC for that advanced midfield spot. Don't see how he's anything other than a pretty significant upgrade.
We'll see. I watch a lot of Real Madrid, I don't seem him as being anything special.