Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tbf very few Chelsea fans think that, it's a media and opposition fan driven narrative which went into overdrive last summer when he appeared United bound so the ignorant "why did Chelsea let him go line?" could have been peddled everytime he had a mere acceptable game like what happened with Matic.
Matic was a massive miss for you last season and on the whole did very well for us though

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What d'ya make of the rumoured £50m offer for Cavani?
Unless £50m includes wages over the whole of his contract too would be crazy. Far too expensive. He's 32 in a month, who knows how he'll decline.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Matic was a massive miss for you last season and on the whole did very well for us though
But the main point is the media span that narrative from the off and for the first month or so Bakayoko was actually playing well.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Cavani is 32 next month and his biggest attributes are all physical - no thanks! Had he been 27/28 it would have been an ideal signing but we don’t have the money to throw away on an older player. Hilarious too that we are linked with him when we are refusing to offer Fab a longer than 1 year contract so he’s off to Monaco for pennies :lol:

Had enough of these mid tier purchases, too. Instead of buying £200m of shit we could have bought 2 almost world class level players at a good age and then used academy for backups. Total shambles from Marina and the board tbh.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Cavani is 32 next month and his biggest attributes are all physical - no thanks! Had he been 27/28 it would have been an ideal signing but we don’t have the money to throw away on an older player. Hilarious too that we are linked with him when we are refusing to offer Fab a longer than 1 year contract so he’s off to Monaco for pennies :lol:

Had enough of these mid tier purchases, too. Instead of buying £200m of shit we could have bought 2 almost world class level players at a good age and then used academy for backups. Total shambles from Marina and the board tbh.
We have not signed Cavani. Don't get worked up over a Daily Express story.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
We have not signed Cavani. Don't get worked up over a Daily Express story.
Go to any game and check the mood at the moment of the fans towards the board. Everytime we look set to push on and become a truly elite European side again ala 2004-2009, our board shit the bed and we have to play catch up for a season or 2.

The reason I’m worried about Cavani isn’t due to an article in the press, it’s because our board have proven themselves to be very capable of being useless and this stinks of the type of deal we would make.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Chelsea won't sign a better striker than Cavani this month. He's still a very good player.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea won't sign a better striker than Cavani this month. He's still a very good player.
He’s the ideal striker in terms of what he does, but being a purely physical player and approaching 32, it would be money not well spent.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Dunno why they loaned Pulisic back to Dortmund, they need him now.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
He’s the ideal striker in terms of what he does, but being a purely physical player and approaching 32, it would be money not well spent.
What are you talking about?

We don't have a striker at the moment. Of course we would do very well to land Cavani.

I don't know why you're being so picky about age when we have Morata starting for us.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's still in top physical shape. I don't see the problem. I really rate him. Don't think there's a better striker in Europe at working the channels.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
What are you talking about?

We don't have a striker at the moment. Of course we would do very well to land Cavani.

I don't know why you're being so picky about age when we have Morata starting for us.
I’m talking about being in the exact same situation we are in now if we sign him in a years time potentially. When a player is who he is pretty much purely down to physical attributes like Cavani, they can drop off a cliff inside 6months.

Are you failing to grasp the idea of £50m for a 32year old plus insane wages when we don’t offer our own players contract extensions over a year long once they are over 30 being a bit silly?

It’s all well and good having a workhorse who runs channels well, makes good runs and their own chances due to their movement, but once they can’t move as effectively or batter the cbs as much, they go from workhorse to donkey

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m talking about being in the exact same situation we are in now if we sign him in a years time potentially. When a player is who he is pretty much purely down to physical attributes like Cavani, they can drop off a cliff inside 6months.

Are you failing to grasp the idea of £50m for a 32year old plus insane wages when we don’t offer our own players contract extensions over a year long once they are over 30 being a bit silly?

It’s all well and good having a workhorse who runs channels well, makes good runs and their own chances due to their movement, but once they can’t move as effectively or batter the cbs as much, they go from workhorse to donkey
I know what you're saying, but I don't think you appreciate the situation we have been in for the past few months. Also I'm not the accountant for the club. I just want to see my team play with a striker. I think fans nowadays are too invested in the financial aspect of transfers as if they are actually in charge of it. I blame football manager!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No need to get too worked up over Cavani. We know the club aren't going to spend £50m on transfer fees alone on a 32 year old. All our big transfer business recently has been for young players with resale value. If there is any basis whatsoever to this story it's probably only us picking up the phone to PSG and them quoting us a stupid price.

It's probably just made up for clicks though..

Hopefully we will get news soon though on some real transfers and if anything is happening with Morata.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Still Blows my mind that they sold Costa
What could we do? He was deadset on leaving and a Costa with his mind elsewhere is truly awful, he got so bad at the end it got to the point some Chelsea fans genuinely wondered if he was doing it on purpose. And look at him this season, 1 league goal all season long and kicking up a fuss about going to China.

A Costa with his head in the game is world class, a destracted Costa is even worse than our current two.

ChaddyP

What could we do? He was deadset on leaving and a Costa with his mind elsewhere is truly awful, he got so bad at the end it got to the point some Chelsea fans genuinely wondered if he was doing it on purpose. And look at him this season, 1 league goal all season long and kicking up a fuss about going to China.

A Costa with his head in the game is world class, a destracted Costa is even worse than our current two.
Was of the opinion that he wanted to stay and was forced out by conte. That's the impression I was given. Apologies if I was wrong

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid.../8216chelsea-recruitment-policy-confusing8217

Interesting opinion on Chelsea from the Guardian journo and mirrors my own thoughts on them in many ways, 12 months on and they don't look like they've actually progressed, just a purple patch at the start of the season and Sarriball which had everyone temporarily forget about their underlining issues. Looking at their squad they're still a one man side while their summer recruitment I actually think was poor and has actually made them even worse than last season (worse off in the keeper position, and Kante being asked to play an unfamiliar role rather than the one he excels in)

More than one Chelsea fan here tonight though seem to feel it's a given they're about to have a good January window?

Makelele

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid.../8216chelsea-recruitment-policy-confusing8217

Interesting opinion on Chelsea from the Guardian journo and mirrors my own thoughts on them in many ways, 12 months on and they don't look like they've actually progressed, just a purple patch at the start of the season and Sarriball which had everyone temporarily forget about their underlining issues. Looking at their squad they're still a one man side while their summer recruitment I actually think was poor and has actually made them even worse than last season (worse off in the keeper position, and Kante being asked to play an unfamiliar role rather than the one he excels in)

More than one Chelsea fan here tonight though seem to feel it's a given they're about to have a good January window?
Chelsea are one point behind Tottenham, have put on very strong and elite performances against the two best sides in the league, and have done this without a prolific goal scorer in the side. It’s fair to say that Sarri is neither underperforming or overperforming. Transforming this Chelsea side was always going to be a long process.

Also too little credit is given to the improvements that have been made to the defensive side.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hard to see Chelsea strengthening enough to guarantee a top 4 spot in January. Expecting a big summer from them and United though.
We're 1 point behind 3rd and 6 points ahead of 5th. We don't need to do that many transfers. A proper striker and someone to replace Fabregas and we will be fine.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Defensively we've been very good. Jorginho still settling in. Kante adapting to new position. Kepa is an upgrade already imo. Morata wants to leave. We've completely changed style of play. Doing better than expected so far.

If we want to kick on and push for third and better we need to replace Morata. Club goals were top 4, CL football next season and a trophy. Decent results in next two games against the N London teams can put us on the way.

We may have transfer ban in the summer. Paredes and Higuain possible signings. Won't be getting hope up till they're actually announced though.

Mick321

Yeah I've been quite impressed with you guys defensively, that Arsenal home game you could have conceded about 6 in the first half and it was like oh hang on, this isn't going to work but seems to have tightened up massively after.

ixa67

Supports
Chelsea
Hard to see Chelsea strengthening enough to guarantee a top 4 spot in January. Expecting a big summer from them and United though.
Well no one from 3rd to 6th is guaranteed a top 4 spot. 'Struggling' Chelsea are just a point behind Spurs who are riddled with injuries and Arsenal who apparently have forgotten the art of defending completely. It's anyone's game at the moment.

crossy1686

career ending
Well no one from 3rd to 6th is guaranteed a top 4 spot. 'Struggling' Chelsea are just a point behind Spurs who are riddled with injuries and Arsenal who apparently have forgotten the art of defending completely. It's anyone's game at the moment.
Thinning the squad out and bringing in some replacements in January won't get you top 4 this season. You best hope Tottenham have a mare at the end of the season.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

Impressive business from Chelsea this window. They hold all the cards with this deal. If he's good enough, they can add another year/opt to buy. If not, they can buy someone better in the summer to come in along with Pulisic.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Well that makes the fight for a CL spot much more difficult, I hoped they'd finish the season with Morata as their CF :(