g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Godfather

Clubs that try to buy an entire new first XI in one summer tend to not perform as well as you might expect. I remember when teams used to try to catch us by signing all and sundry, we’d bring in one player like Carrick and would still win the league. They’ve made good signings but it’s not necessarily that simple.
Sevilla disagrees

SambaBoy

They have played the market well.

Their main weaknesses were CB and GK. They have got an experienced, quality CB for free. There's only a certain amount of names that would be a better option than him, and some of them cost £80m like Koulibaly which would've wiped out a significant part of their budget. If Silva is good for a year then it will be an excellent signing, plus he will bring experience and leadership to the team. Sarr is another free transfer at the start of his career, give him a year on loan and phase him in next year if he does well. Makes it a last chance saloon for the likes of Zouma, Tomori and Christensen this season.

They'll get a GK in the next few weeks I'd imagine. The guy at Lille or Onana if they can convince Ajax to sell at the right price.

When players like Ziyech and Werner come on the market at reasonable prices, you've to try and get them which Chelsea have done. Same with Havertz who could be one of the best players in the league in a few seasons. For the money spent on the attacking players, they've potentially set themselves up for years. Spending that sort of money on CB's and GK instead wouldn't have set them up and they may have needed replacing in a few years or without the same guarantee of success. In addition, it would've caused problems at the top end of the pitch as last seasons options aren't really good enough for their long-term ambitions.

SuperiorXI

I remember United went a bit mental once in the transfer window (when we got the schmidfield) look at how that turned out!

It's not always going to work out the way you expect. One thing is for sure the expectation on Lampard will be high.

wolvored

If Chelsea dont win or challenge for the title and are quite away from it, then Lampard should be sacked. If it was Utd who had bought half a team in, (fat chance that ever happening with the Glazers)with the players already at their disposal, I would say the same about Ole. All the players he has bought are top class players not over the hill.

Pagh Wraith

If Chelsea dont win or challenge for the title and are quite away from it, then Lampard should be sacked. If it was Utd who had bought half a team in, (fat chance that ever happening with the Glazers)with the players already at their disposal, I would say the same about Ole. All the players he has bought are top class players not over the hill.
I'd strongly disagree. With that goalkeeper they are not challenging for anything. They have certainly had a very good window and should easily get top 3 (and possibly pip Liverpool for second) but I'd be amazed if they got anywhere close to 90 points with Kepa in goal.

If they do sign a half-decent keeper, then we could be talking about a title challenge.

wolvored

I'd strongly disagree. With that goalkeeper they are not challenging for anything. They have certainly had a very good window and should easily get top 3 (and possibly pip Liverpool for second) but I'd be amazed if they got anywhere close to 90 points with Kepa in goal.

If they do sign a half-decent keeper, then we could be talking about a title challenge.
I dont think Abromovich will see it like that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Agreed, asking half a new team to instantly gel and compete with two teams and managers who have raised the bar in this country at the first time of asking is not just unrealistic but unreasonable. We had a better squad and more experienced manager last time we made many changes like this and managed 79 points.

However comfortable top 4 with no real danger of missing out will be expected (only mitigation will be if there's a freak season where 5th place team is pushing 80 points) and he will be under huge pressure if he doesn't deliver that and rightly so.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I dont think Abromovich will see it like that.
I think the aim is obviously to win the title, but if we end the season with 85 points but City with Messi end up doing a madness with 98 points then we didn't really truly challenge (context matters here of course) but it'd still be considered a very good season. That kind of 'losing' season would signal very good progress.

Lampard isn't stupid though. He knows he's been backed and the pressure is now on. Battling for 4th place some 25-30 points behind the winner will likely put him in a very difficult position. He has been given the tools to succed and I'm personally confident he will.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Fortune has smiled on Chelsea this summer. Their transfer ban increasing their coffers this summer along with the temporary lifting of FFP, Roman’s wealth and a pronounced buyers market has caused the perfect storm for this level of power in the transfer market.

From their point of view they’re being extremely prudent.
Indeed. Especially if we get havertz over the line. It would seem that ban was a stroke of luck.
I have no doubt if there was no covid werner would be a liverpool player and havertz would have bayern or real after him.
The same applies to you lot with sancho the time to get him is now. Rather than wait till other sides around europe get their finances in order and turn their attention to him.

Abhinav

Its annoying how good they have been in the window. With both teams finishing on the same points, one team is potentially adding 6 first team players to their squad while the other is twiddling their thumbs.
On another note, there is going to be immense pressure on Lampard to deliver a title challenge and a trophy now that he is backed to the hilt. Another season like the one gone by is not going to be enough to retain his job.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Little worried about Chelsea. The efficiency they are fixing the holes with is alarming. Impressive transfer window so far with the best expected value per £ spent.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Except Greenwood and Sancho are both English. And the fact we have 3 forewords and no decent players for our bench.
So Ole, a manager not really known for rotation, will rotate while Lampard, a manager known to rotate, won't?

Got it!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We didn't add players to squad but mostly replaced players whose contract was over or not good enough to be in squad.

Willian out ------ ziyech in
Pedro out ------ Werner in
Hazard out------ Trying kai havertz in
Emerson out------ chilwell in
One CB out------silva in
Kepa out -----one gk in

Football not played on paper though if so I will say we will win the league but players need to come together as a group and understand each others' weakness and strength.

We will have to play Liverpool in our second match and if we able to draw or win it then I will say we will fight for title but it's too soon in my opinion to even get a draw in that match. All things consider we will definitely better than 15-20 pts from last season but that's enough to challenge we have to wait and see.
Quoted for posterity.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Provided we sign Havertz for the stipulated total of £90m, we would have spent just £25m more than what United spent last season
Ziyech = £36m
Werner = £47.7m
Chillwell = £50m
*Havertz = £90m
Tiago Silva = Free
Malang Sarr = Free
Total = £223.7m

United Signings
Maguire = £80m
AWB = £50m
Bruno Fernandes = £50m ?
Daniel James = £18m
Total = £198m

I find it strange, given this, that we are supposedly expected to mount a title challenge. The fact that we are getting them all in a go doesn't mean we can get them to sync and gel in a season. This season I expect a better points total than the previous one for sure. 15-20points gain on the top 2 would be a great sign of progress. For Lampard I'm personally looking out a better defensive organization and management of the team, a deeper run in the CL and a League or FA Cup throphy as icing in the cake. I'm only expecting a serious title challenge in season 21/22 with better CB and CDM personnel.
I'm confident the Chelsea hierarchy’s expectations won't be far from this.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We didn't add players to squad but mostly replaced players whose contract was over or not good enough to be in squad.

Willian out ------ ziyech in
Pedro out ------ Werner in
Hazard out------ Trying kai havertz in
Emerson out------ chilwell in
One CB out------silva in
Kepa out -----one gk in

Football not played on paper though if so I will say we will win the league but players need to come together as a group and understand each others' weakness and strength.

We will have to play Liverpool in our second match and if we able to draw or win it then I will say we will fight for title but it's too soon in my opinion to even get a draw in that match. All things consider we will definitely better than 15-20 pts from last season but that's enough to challenge we have to wait and see.
:lol: :lol:
Love this post.
So many variables and unknowns in that Chelsea squad.
What happens if Silva gets injured? What happens if Werner doesn't hit the ground running? What happens if Ziyech can't handle the physicality of the premiership?
How's the squad harmony? How must Tammy, Mason Reece etc feel? Will they perform to the same degree as understudies?
Really being think a result against Liverpool will prove anything!!

BorisManUtd

Thiago Silva is very good short-term option, even if he fails Chelsea still got him for free so no loss really (except for the wages). But I think he'll be very good for them first season, maybe even for another after that.

Ziyech, Werner and Havertz are great signings, even if Lampard doesn't deliver and gets sacked, whoever comes in after him has great attacking players. Have to say I'm jealous, the way they replaced Hazard is perfect example how to do business. Ronaldo went to Real and we signed Obertan.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Provided we sign Havertz for the stipulated total of £90m, we would have spent just £25m more than what United spent last season
Ziyech = £36m
Werner = £47.7m
Chillwell = £50m
*Havertz = £90m
Tiago Silva = Free
Malang Sarr = Free
Total = £223.7m

United Signings
Maguire = £80m
AWB = £50m
Bruno Fernandes = £50m ?
Daniel James = £18m
Total = £198m

I find it strange, given this, that we are supposedly expected to mount a title challenge. The fact that we are getting them all in a go doesn't mean we can get them to sync and gel in a season. This season I expect a better points total than the previous one for sure. 15-20points gain on the top 2 would be a great sign of progress. For Lampard I'm personally looking out a better defensive organization and management of the team, a deeper run in the CL and a League or FA Cup throphy as icing in the cake. I'm only expecting a serious title challenge in season 21/22 with better CB and CDM personnel.
I'm confident the Chelsea hierarchy’s expectations won't be far from this.
Why do you find it strange that having potentially spent close to £250m if the Havertz deal is ratified and bringing in 6 new players, that you are now potential challengers?
The pressure is on Chelsea to do well now, with big spending always comes great expectations.

Just for reference, Brunos transfer was in January and came from this season's kitty.

If Chelsea are behind the top two by a margin of 10 points or more come Christmas then I can forsee Lampard under extreme scrutiny.

Guy Incognito

Little worried about Chelsea. The efficiency they are fixing the holes with is alarming. Impressive transfer window so far with the best expected value per £ spent.
They have to hit the ground running. But it's going to take some time for certain players to bed in.

Either way I can't see Lampard lasting the season.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: :lol:
Love this post.
So many variables and unknowns in that Chelsea squad.
What happens if Silva gets injured? What happens if Werner doesn't hit the ground running? What happens if Ziyech can't handle the physicality of the premiership?
How's the squad harmony? How must Tammy, Mason Reece etc feel? Will they perform to the same degree as understudies?
Really being think a result against Liverpool will prove anything!!
This gets me laughing everytime. How do they feel? :lol: :lol:
They play for Chelsea fc not fecking Westham. If they feel sad that a top club, looking to potentially win major titles is strenghting the team by adding top class players to the squad then maybe they shouldn't be there? If they don't want competition for places and better teammates to at with then they should all hand in transfer requests and Chelsea will gladly oblige and sell them to the likes of Evertons and Newcastles.
But being professional footballers looking forward to be part of a winning team I doubt they'll be sulking.

If this is the mentality brewing at United then this is actually a very sad state of affairs. You lot are worried about the feelings of Rashford, Martial, Pogba instead of getting actual top quality players who will either push them to rise above their current level to beat out the competition or relegate them to the bench, giving you a stronger squad anyways?
Word of advice...buying squad fillers to keep your current XI ‘happy’ is a disaster magnet for every top club.

Kag

They’re improving their squad in all the right areas. Fair play to them.

With that said, I’m not too concerned about the personnel. Granted, I think their attacking acquisitions will improve them a fair bit; however, I’m not too blown away by their work on the defence.

Chilwell is a good player but no world beater. Even Leicester fans weren’t too fussed about him. Silva could be anything. Quite a few ageing defenders have tried their luck in the Premier League during the final stages of their careers and it’s seldom ended well. He’s just played in a Champions League final, mind you, so he may manage just fine. I know nothing about Sarr: he may be brilliant for all I know.

Chelsea will interesting to watch this season, that’s for sure.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Why do you find it strange that having potentially spent close to £250m if the Havertz deal is ratified and bringing in 6 new players, that you are now potential challengers?
The pressure is on Chelsea to do well now, with big spending always comes great expectations.

Just for reference, Brunos transfer was in January and came from this season's kitty.

If Chelsea are behind the top two by a margin of 10 points or more come Christmas then I can forsee Lampard under extreme scrutiny.
Well you'll be hard pressed to find a Chelsea fan who shares in you're expectations of our upcoming season. There is a gulf of difference between being ‘top dog’ in the league (winning it) and losing out on top 4 the next season....and being behind two ‘top dogs’ who both previously won the league with 97points + and making signing to look to close in on them.

We, Chelsea fans, have realistic expectations of our team and manager. I'm sure you have of yours too.

acnumber9

You can’t spend upwards of £200m and say that the only expectation is to finish 3rd. They would have to be challenging to justify that.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Serious links to Declan Rice as well now? Acting like a club who wants to challenge for big trophies.

acnumber9

If these projected transfers were to go through they will have spent more than £300m in less than two years. To improve from third place to third place?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Serious links to Declan Rice as well now? Acting like a club who wants to challenge for big trophies.
Yeah, it is getting slightly crazy now. That rumour was started by the most trusted West Spam ITK so it looks like it may be true. Only question I have is Chelsea's squad size. They must be pushing 35 players with him. Surely they will need to fire sale some of the excess. However, other teams will know that they have to do this which could cause the club problems.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If these projected transfers were to go through they will have spent more than £300m in less than two years. To improve from third place to third place?
There is a world of difference between 3rd but 25+ points behind the winner and 3rd but 10 points or less behind the winner. Liverpool and City with Messi and K2 do not suddenly turn into bad teams just because Chelsea have improved.

acnumber9

There is a world of difference between 3rd but 25+ points behind the winner and 3rd but 10 points or less behind the winner. Liverpool and City with Messi and K2 do not suddenly turn into bad teams just because Chelsea have improved.
But you don’t invest that level of money to be slightly less behind the Champions. There’s no excuse for not challenging if they spend that money. By the way, there’s no excuse for United not having done it over the last five years either.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
You'd rather have them sit on their arses and accept their fate that top2 is supposedly out of reach? I know of another top PL club who has stood pat so far in this window and I hear their fans are not so happy about it...

acnumber9

You'd rather have them sit on their arses and accept their fate that top2 is supposedly out of reach? I know of another top PL club who has stood pat so far in this window and I hear their fans are not so happy about it...
No, I’m saying they have to challenge now. No excuses. How did you get that from what I am saying?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
No, I’m saying they have to challenge now. No excuses. How did you get that from what I am saying?
I think if Lampard gets them to sub-10 points off the top, quaters of the CL and a cup he will be ok. The season after he would have to win the league for sure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But you don’t invest that level of money to be slightly less behind the Champions. There’s no excuse for not challenging if they spend that money. By the way, there’s no excuse for United not having done it over the last five years either.
In year 1 of the investment, of course we get to have realistic expectations. If you're talking over a 2-3 year period, then yes the expectation will be to win the title.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So if Chelsea finish 3rd on 86 points, 10 behind the eventual winners who got 96 points, would you see that as a failure?

Keep in mind we finished 30 points behind the title winners (who got 96) this past season.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
It depends on the owner and management and what their goal is. They might see it as a multi year project and keeps pumping money to improve the teams in the next transfer windows. They also know the gap between top 2 and the rest was huge and will be hard to close in one year. I dont think it's as clear as championship or bust.

Godfather

To be honest of all their business this summer signing Declan Rice would be the last thing I'd associate with winning trophies. Well....him and Chillwell.

acnumber9

In year 1 of the investment, of course we get to have realistic expectations. If you'e talking over a 2-3 year period, then yes the expectation will be to win the title.
Year 1 of some of the investment. They spent £100m plus last year too. Any team spending the kind of money it looks like Chelsea are spending have to challenge for the title.

acnumber9

It depends on the owner and management and what their goal is. They might see it as a multi year project and keeps pumping money to improve the teams in the next transfer windows. They also know the gap between top 2 and the rest was huge and will be hard to close in one year. I dont think it's as clear as championship or bust.
That may be how they see it but it doesn’t change the fact that they should be challenging with that level of investment.