Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I initially thought that but then why did we register him? If we lose two keepers we'd have been entitled to an emergency keeper (as i said like when we signed Magnus Hedman in 2006). I think if Mendy is out again Lampard's going to think "feck it".
You're probably right. I'm not sure what the point would be though. I have a hard time believing Chelsea would just randomly name him in the starting line-up when Kepa and Willy are both.

Dominos

Glad they don't have much momentum going into our game at the weekend off the back of 2 draws, every little helps.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know every positive mention of Mendy these days reads like an indirect dig at Kepa, but this really was a brilliant reaction save. The clip doesn't quite show the deflection but Mendy, after starting to dive right, had to readjust his body and still get a strong enough hand on it to claw it away from danger.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
You're probably right. I'm not sure what the point would be though. I have a hard time believing Chelsea would just randomly name him in the starting line-up when Kepa and Willy are both.
There's an outside chance of the other keepers getting Covid and at that point it all starts to make sense. Just.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Thought the clean sheet was encouraging and just what the Doctor ordered. Seville are a very good team and played through the press really well on occasions. Kante and Jorginho played their roles well.

Lampard seems to have been coaching the defence to good effect in the lead up. Long may this continue and if we have to become a counter attacking side so be it.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
After spending 1 billion in the summer you thought that they sorted out the biggest weakness in the squad - GK position but here they are - taking back Cech.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There's an outside chance of the other keepers getting Covid and at that point it all starts to make sense. Just.
You're right tbh.

"With Pete it's something I wouldn't expect to happen but with how fit he is if we were in crisis we couldn't have anyone better than Petr Cech around.

"I don't expect him to play, but nobody expected what's happened in the last six or seven months, so that would explain why he's in there. He's invaluable for his experience, passing that onto the goalkeepers.

"We had a space this year, and Covid makes this a year like no other. He's very fit, he's still relatively young, and he finished playing when he possibly could have carried on when he took on the role that he does very well here.

"He trains very regularly and very well. I'm not sure if we'll see him this season, it depends on how things go of course. But it's a total no-brainer to have him in the squad for the reasons of the pandemic and everything that's happened.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
We had the ‘no-name’ goalkeeper and the 36yr old pensioner back in the defence and viola! Another cleensheet with a very good Sevilla side reduced to a 0.28 x/G.
Mendy now has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, against Spurs in the league cup. Caballero has 3 in 2 games and Kepa has 6 in 3 games.
Tiago Silva has now kept a cleensheet in both games he was paired with Zouma.
Chelsea have now kept a cleensheet in both games where all 3 of our defensive additions this summer have been on the pitch at the same time and in both games the opponent didn't create a single clear cut chance to score.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We had the ‘no-name’ goalkeeper and the 36yr old pensioner back in the defence and viola! Another cleensheet with a very good Sevilla side reduced to a 0.28 x/G.
Mendy now has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, against Spurs in the league cup. Caballero has 3 in 2 games and Kepa has 6 in 3 games.
Chelsea have now kept a cleensheet in both games where all 3 of our defensive additions this summer have been on the pitch at the same time and in both games the opponent didn't create a single clear cut chance to score.
Yet you just know next time Mendy and Silva don't play one of Kepa, AC or Zouma will make a mistake and a supporter of a team who's conceded more goals than us will start preaching about how "shit" our defense is and that they shouldn't worry about us because of that (then plead deflection when that awkward fact is pointed out, oh and then a certain someone will wade in with size 9's get put in his place then whoever does it will be furiously branded as stupid, like clockwork):lol:.

Dorris

You also created naff all. There's a link between that, and Lampard clearly set up with a more defensive structure. You aren't going to be bagging for fun and keeping clean sheets just because Mendy has come in. People point to VVD and Alisson at Liverpool (who are obviously far better than Mendy and Silva, but that's besides the point), and how they transformed Liverpool's defence, but seem to forget the change in approach Klopp made when Buvac left, and how less 'gung ho' they were.

I have no doubt Mendy will help, but this suggestion that Chelsea's defence is good and it's all on Kepa is laughable.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You also created naff all. There's a link between that, and Lampard clearly set up with a more defensive structure. You aren't going to be bagging for fun and keeping clean sheets just because Mendy has come in. People point to VVD and Alisson at Liverpool (who are obviously far better than Mendy and Silva, but that's besides the point), and how they transformed Liverpool's defence, but seem to forget the change in approach Klopp made when Buvac left, and how less 'gung ho' they were.

I have no doubt Mendy will help, but this suggestion that Chelsea's defence is good and it's all on Kepa is laughable.
We were like that last night, sure, but Mendy has played two other games and the combined score in those games is 5-1 with us hardly conceding any chances. Palace and Spurs aren't less threatening than Southampton or West Brom. We played a similar attacking game in all 4 of those games. We just didn't concede goals from every random half chance in two of those 4 games and a lot of that does have to do with Mendy's solid wrists, his command of the box and the confidence he passes onto those in front of him.

No-one is saying Kepa was the one and only problem, nor is Christensen or Alonso individually the biggest culprits, there are many conversations being had in the fanbase about Lampard's defensive structure, who the midfield personnel should consist of etc, but a solid back 5 starts with actually having solid players - we have given up very, very few chances when Silva, Chilwell, Zouma and Mendy have all started together.

This weekend's game is another big test for this team.

Last edited:

Dorris

Kepa let in one shot every two he faced last year, no one's saying our defense is the best but the underlying metrics all pointed to Kepa being the biggest issue and the early sample size with Mendy in also seems to back that up. He's conceded one goal in three games, commands his box well and has saved 5/6 shots he's faced.

Look at Villa for example, 2nd worst defense last season now look one of the best, what do you think is more likely, Martinez is making a difference or Dean Smith has suddenly become a guru on defensive coaching?

So while I don't expect us to be breaking Jose 1.0s records anytime soon it's absolutely no surprise to see us look better at the back with a competent keeper and tbh it's even less of a suprise the straw clutching to downplay it. First it's "oh but but Palace didn't attack though" (even though many teams played us with similar set ups last season and still scored goals past us) and now it's "oh but you didn't". Can't wait for the "yeah but Martial wasn't playing" if they do it again on Saturday or the "told you the new players don't make a difference, you'll never have anything of a defense under Lampard" if they don't.
Villa's defence started to turn after lockdown. Not to mention the seasons just started and it's a ridiculously small sample size.

If people are straw clutching then you're jumping the gun, he's played one PL game and you shut any possible skepticism down as nonsense and bias. I'd give it atleast 10 games before you start mocking, I seem to recall Taibi getting MotM in his first start...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How are the resident Chelsea fans feeling about the game at the weekend?
Probably very similar to how United fans are feeling. Based on how United's season has gone so far, I think we should be going into the game confident of winning it, but we have been a soft touch defensively ourselves so I would be shocked if the majority of your fans didn't feel equally confident about beating us.

We have scored a lot of goals and conceded a lot of goals, so there are plenty of things for both sides to be nervous/feel confident about.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Probably very similar to how United fans are feeling. Based on how United's season has gone so far, I think we should be going into the game confident of winning it, but we have been a soft touch defensively ourselves so I would be shocked if the majority of your fans didn't feel equally confident about beating us.

We have scored a lot of goals and conceded a lot of goals, so there are plenty of things for both sides to be nervous/feel confident about.
Before the PSG game, I was expecting the worst, but we look like we're getting fitter now. I still think we have an amazing capacity to lurch between sublime and ridiculous, so can't say I'm overly confident. Lampard did a number on Ole in the FA Cup semi final, so that's still fresh in my mind. A win for either side would be a massive statement. I think if United can come through the next three games with 7 points then, in this strange season, we could be in a title race. Of course the same can be said of Chelsea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Before the PSG game, I was expecting the worst, but we look like we're getting fitter now. I still think we have an amazing capacity to lurch between sublime and ridiculous, so can't say I'm overly confident. Lampard did a number on Ole in the FA Cup semi final, so that's still fresh in my mind. A win for either side would be a massive statement. I think if United can come through the next three games with 7 points then, in this strange season, we could be in a title race. Of course the same can be said of Chelsea.
The last two United games have definitely altered my perception of this game. Had you failed to win both, I'd be saying we should definitely be beating a United team in rotten form, but two really impressive confidence boosting wins has lifted the mood around the club - at least that's how it appears from the outside. Similarly a clean sheet for us against a really good Sevilla team should have lifted the confidence the team has in seeing out a narrow lead, if we find ourselves in that situation.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The last two United games have definitely altered my perception of this game. Had you failed to win both, I'd be saying we should definitely be beating a United team in rotten form, but two really impressive confidence boosting wins has lifted the mood around the club - at least that's how it appears from the outside. Similarly a clean sheet for us against a really good Sevilla team should have lifted the confidence the team has in seeing out a narrow lead, if we find ourselves in that situation.
From what I see, both teams are struggling desperately for balance. I've been a vocal critic about Lampard's defensive failings, but yesterday showed there may be potential, although will it end up being at the cost of blunting the attack? United are in a similar boat – we don't seem to be able to put it all together. It's an obvious point, but the top sides are equally adept at both ends of the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

How Chelsea should be judged will change every week. Whole last season it was "Lampard didn't sign anyone" even though few were added to the squad.

This season "we have signed too many players, so shouldn't be judged quickly" but the same "Signed too many players" isn't even applied consistently.

Thaigo Silva played and even made mistake vs West Brom but it won't count as Zouma wasn't next to him.
Zouma and Chilwell played vs Southampton but it won't count as Thiago Silva didn't play.

They should be judged only when Thiago Silva, Chilwell, Mendy, Zouma plays together and somehow "we signed too many players so it's too quick to judge" goes out of window if you get the results you were hoping for even if it's ridiculously small sample size. Good for James that they got clean sheet vs Sevilla, otherwise he would have been blamed as he was the only one who didnt play vs Palace.

Also going by these examples, Werner and Havertz is a piss poor combination, they signed 0 goals when they started together (In PL, didn't check, might be true for all competitions too). They are only good when Pulisic is added to the duo.

But then you always see some hilarious posts (which is expected at least one of them is just dumb, only line of argument is "What about ManUtd") and ever moving goal posts on how a team should be judged. Whole last season the excuse was "Our best CB is injured", now that best CB is a deadwood and was never good enough.

Edit: Btw IMO they will improve defensively, they can't get any worse than last season. 54 goals conceded is very poor record, they will improve on that easily.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Last game vs us, Lampard changed his set up, he went with 3 at the back and nullified us. Maybe he will go with same set up as it worked very well for you guys.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How Chelsea should be judged will change every week. Whole last season it was "Lampard didn't sign anyone" even though few were added to the squad.

This season "we have signed too many players, so shouldn't be judged quickly" but the same "Signed too many players" isn't even applied consistently.

Thaigo Silva played and even made mistake vs West Brom but it won't count as Zouma wasn't next to him.
Zouma and Chilwell played vs Southampton but it won't count as Thiago Silva didn't play.

They should be judged only when Thiago Silva, Chilwell, Mendy, Zouma plays together and somehow "we signed too many players so it's too quick to judge" goes out of window if you get the results you were hoping for even if it's ridiculously small sample size. Good for James that they got clean sheet vs Sevilla, otherwise he would have been blamed as he was the only one who didnt play vs Palace.

Also going by these examples, Werner and Havertz is a piss poor combination, they signed 0 goals when they started together (In PL, didn't check, might be true for all competitions too). They are only good when Pulisic is added to the duo.

But then you always see some hilarious posts (which is expected at least one of them is just dumb, only line of argument is "What about ManUtd") and ever moving goal posts on how a team should be judged. Whole last season the excuse was "Our best CB is injured", now that best CB is a deadwood and was never good enough.

Edit: Btw IMO they will improve defensively, they can't get any worse than last season. 54 goals conceded is very poor record, they will improve on that easily.
You've done some strange things in your time but writing a long winded post about a rival team at four in the morning which is mainly consisting of you taking quotes out of context at best and totally fabricating them at worst is quite something even for you.

Now if I remember your methods rightly, your next post is going to consist of a playground insult followed by a smiley, there you go saved you a post :)

Prodigal7

I cannot fathom why there are so many Chelsea supporters spending so much time on this forum just talking about Chelsea. Surely there’s a Chelsea forum?

roonster09

Scout
You've done some strange things in your time but writing a long winded post about a rival team at four in the morning which is mainly consisting of you taking quotes out of context at best and totally fabricating them at worst is quite something even for you.

Now if I remember your methods rightly, your next post is going to consist of a playground insult followed by a smiley, there you go saved you a post :)
:lol: Whole world is not following UK time, thanks for proving my post to be accurate.

If you are in UK then this post in even hilarious. Logging in to rival forum at 4:30 AM to check if anyone posted about Chelsea.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you are in UK then this post in even hilarious. Logging in to rival forum at 4:30 AM to check if anyone posted about Chelsea.
Ah nice try and trying to sly in an edit unnoticed, 6/10.

I'm up early for a gruelling 10 hour coach journey, if you want to add to my entertainment outlets for the journey by spending all day systematically making a fool of yourself once again, then crack on, I forgot to download mr bean and your as good a candidate as any to fill that void.

roonster09

Scout
Ah nice try and trying to sly in an edit unnoticed, 6/10.

I'm up early for a gruelling 10 hour coach journey, if you want to add to my entertainment outlets for the journey by spending all day systematically making a fool of yourself once again, then crack on, I forgot to download mr bean and your as good a candidate as any to fill that void.
Sly edit? :lol: it's an obvious observation and edited post long back. As usual post shit and then twist it.

Up early and spend time on rival forum and then ask ManUtd fan why they are posting on ManUtd forum. This after making dumb assumption that everyone is on UK time. This is low even for your standards.

It's amazing how at least one of my assumption is so accurate, thanks for that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sly edit? :lol: it's an obvious observation and edited post long back. As usual post shit and then twist it.

Up early and spend time on rival forum and then ask ManUtd fan why they are posting on ManUtd forum. This after making dumb assumption that everyone is on UK time. This is low even for your standards.

It's amazing how at least one of my assumption is so accurate, thanks for that.
Wow I've hit a nerve, *yikes* :houllier:

roonster09

Scout
Wow I've hit a nerve, *yikes* :houllier:
More like you are clutching straws, after making dumb post.

ManUtd fan posting on ManUtd forum at 8 AM is strange, Chelsea fan posting at 4:30AM in ManUtd forum is just fine :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I cannot fathom why there are so many Chelsea supporters spending so much time on this forum just talking about Chelsea. Surely there’s a Chelsea forum?
Can't speak for the others but the football section of this forum is the most diverse in terms of fan bases I've seen anywhere. Even on forums dedicated to "all fans" I can't imagine finding somewhere (to pluck two random examples) Porto and Leverkusen fans co exist.

One example is thanks to being on here I had access to a Sporting Lisbon fan (couple of years ago now) who assisted with me my upcoming tour around the Jose Alvalade (their booking system was more old school and as it turned out you had to get the ticket actually at the ground and couldn't do it online).

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
:lol: Whole world is not following UK time, thanks for proving my post to be accurate.

Have you not been to Greenwich?

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dude cracks me up everytime
Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't a “you're a shit poster....” slipped in there somewhere, his usual go-to cop-out, after posting a rant. At least irony isn't lost on him.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea

Looks like Rashford’s back is all healed up now. The team is fit now after having no preseason. Maguire is getting the rest he needed to get over Greece. De Gea is best in the world again and no need for Hendo now. Ole finally got backed. Bruno is captain finally. It was Pogba all along.
Things are looking up for United now right? I wonder what the next bout of excuses will be after another round of poor form as these are surely spent now.

You get “what about United” because hypocrisy, esp from a poster like you, is easy to spot. A lot of United fans on here make reasoned arguments and are engaged in reasoned debates. A few, like you, make childish, snide, troll comments and are equally met with such.
And don't let the newbie tag fool you or anyone, I've been on here for at least 3yrs before finally signing up(lockdown boredom and the top 4 race). I know who the trolls are.

roonster09

Scout
Looks like Rashford’s back is all healed up now. The team is fit now after having no preseason. Maguire is getting the rest he needed to get over Greece. De Gea is best in the world again and no need for Hendo now. Ole finally got backed. Bruno is captain finally. It was Pogba all along.
Things are looking up for United now right? I wonder what the next bout of excuses will be after another round of poor form as these are surely spent now.

You get “what about United” because hypocrisy, esp from a poster like you, is easy to spot. A lot of United fans on here make reasoned arguments and are engaged in reasoned debates. A few, like you, make childish, snide, troll comments and are equally met with such.
And don't let the newbie tag fool you or anyone, I've been on here for at least 3yrs before finally signing up(lockdown boredom and the top 4 race). I know who the trolls are.
:lol: one more "what about ManUtd" troll. This post is ironic at its best, WUM who posts nothing but shit on ManUtd in the ManUtd forum crying about few harsh posts on Chelsea. fecking hell.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Christ Dan, you're quite something at embarrassing yourself.

Jaxa

Jesus, just realised Kepa signed a 7 year contract with Chelsea :eek: and still has until June 2025 until it expires, what the feck are they going to do with this guy, £71.6 million spent only 2 years ago and now trying to get rid, who on earth is going to take him on and actually pay money for his services ? A Return to Bilbao perhaps for a very low fee and some form of gentlemens agreement on future transfers and having first dibs ? What a mess.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Jesus, just realised Kepa signed a 7 year contract with Chelsea :eek: and still has until June 2025 until it expires, what the feck are they going to do with this guy, £71.6 million spent only 2 years ago and now trying to get rid, who on earth is going to take him on and actually pay money for his services ? A Return to Bilbao perhaps for a very low fee and some form of gentlemens agreement on future transfers and having first dibs ? What a mess.
You're not kidding. Maybe a Spanish team will take him but there's no way the club will ever recover the losses. I really can't see him improving much but never say never. Chelsea have been quite good in the transfer market over the years but have royally cocked up here.
5 years is a long time and all I can hope is that he will not want sit on the bench for all that time and ask for a move before. He'll be 31 by then and his whole career will have evaporated as a bench warmer. Will he do an Ozil?

He's also on £150k a week. (It just gets worse) Thats a further £39m Chelsea are contracted to pay him. Maybe somebody in Spain will take him for £20m and pay him £50k a week which will mitigate Chelsea about half of their total outlay. Maybe he'll take a paycut or improve but the worse case scenario is approximately a £50m loss.