Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Jaxa

You're not kidding. Maybe a Spanish team will take him but there's no way the club will ever recover the losses. I really can't see him improving much but never say never. Chelsea have been quite good in the transfer market over the years but have royally cocked up here.
5 years is a long time and all I can hope is that he will not want sit on the bench for all that time and ask for a move before. He'll be 31 by then and his whole career will have evaporated as a bench warmer. Will he do an Ozil?

He's also on £150k a week. (It just gets worse) Thats a further £39m Chelsea are contracted to pay him. Maybe somebody in Spain will take him for £20m and pay him £50k a week which will mitigate Chelsea about half of their total outlay. Maybe he'll take a paycut or improve but the worse case scenario is approximately a £50m loss.
You could try giving inter a call ? they've done us wonders over the last year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Jesus, just realised Kepa signed a 7 year contract with Chelsea :eek: and still has until June 2025 until it expires, what the feck are they going to do with this guy, £71.6 million spent only 2 years ago and now trying to get rid, who on earth is going to take him on and actually pay money for his services ? A Return to Bilbao perhaps for a very low fee and some form of gentlemens agreement on future transfers and having first dibs ? What a mess.
You're not kidding. Maybe a Spanish team will take him but there's no way the club will ever recover the losses. I really can't see him improving much but never say never. Chelsea have been quite good in the transfer market over the years but have royally cocked up here.
5 years is a long time and all I can hope is that he will not want sit on the bench for all that time and ask for a move before. He'll be 31 by then and his whole career will have evaporated as a bench warmer. Will he do an Ozil?

He's also on £150k a week. (It just gets worse) Thats a further £39m Chelsea are contracted to pay him. Maybe somebody in Spain will take him for £20m and pay him £50k a week which will mitigate Chelsea about half of their total outlay. Maybe he'll take a paycut or improve but the worse case scenario is approximately a £50m loss.
The best thing for Chelsea would be to send him on a multi-year loan somewhere, preferably La Liga, cover some of his wages to entice some club to take a punt, and hope that he can salvage his career somewhat, rebuild his reputation and then hope that we can sell him for £20-30m to a desperate club when he has 3 years left on his original deal.

AshRK

Well to be fair to Chelsea's board no one would have anticipated him to turn out into such a dud. When chelsea bought him he was highly rated like de gea and Oblak in their early 20s so naturally a long contract made sense then.

I think it is best for all the parties to sell him and move on.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Jesus, just realised Kepa signed a 7 year contract with Chelsea :eek: and still has until June 2025 until it expires, what the feck are they going to do with this guy, £71.6 million spent only 2 years ago and now trying to get rid, who on earth is going to take him on and actually pay money for his services ? A Return to Bilbao perhaps for a very low fee and some form of gentlemens agreement on future transfers and having first dibs ? What a mess.
7 years? :lol: That's the first time I hear of a signing receiving a 7 year contract. This is the worst transfer ever by far.

I think if they actually do sell him, that could ironically affect Chelsea's ability to sign new players negatively. Accounting wise, a player's fee is activated as an asset and then deprecated over the years of the contract, which means that the costs are scheduled, even if you paid the whole fee in advance. 70m in 7 years would mean he costs them 10m per year so his book value right now is probably around 50m. If they sell him now for 20m (and I guess that would be a more than decent fee), they'd have immediate losses of 30m that would probably be deducted from their transfer budget.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The best thing for Chelsea would be to send him on a multi-year loan somewhere, preferably La Liga, cover some of his wages to entice some club to take a punt, and hope that he can salvage his career somewhat, rebuild his reputation and then hope that we can sell him for £20-30m to a desperate club when he has 3 years left on his original deal.
What a cock up.

There's a further problem. He's Chelsea's second keeper and we would probably have to pay more than we could recoup for a decent second keeper if he went out on loan.

Oh for the days of Cech & Cudicini.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

As per Matt Law Kepa is on 10 million per year, which is around 190K per week.

roonster09

Scout
That would be among top 6-7 fee paid for GK.

Best hope is sending him on loan so that he can get his confidence back and then get a move.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
7 years? :lol: That's the first time I hear of a signing receiving a 7 year contract. This is the worst transfer ever by far.

I think if they actually do sell him, that could ironically affect Chelsea's ability to sign new players negatively. Accounting wise, a player's fee is activated as an asset and then deprecated over the years of the contract, which means that the costs are scheduled, even if you paid the whole fee in advance. 70m in 7 years would mean he costs them 10m per year so his book value right now is probably around 50m. If they sell him now for 20m (and I guess that would be a more than decent fee), they'd have immediate losses of 30m that would probably be deducted from their transfer budget.
The funniest thing was that when they signed him, a lot of Chelsea fans thought it was a great deal as it allowed them to get rid of 'the snake' Courtois.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: one more "what about ManUtd" troll. This post is ironic at its best, WUM who posts nothing but shit on ManUtd in the ManUtd forum crying about few harsh posts on Chelsea. fecking hell.
You want to make "harsh posts" about Chelsea fine, but maybe cut out these tantrums when you get called up on them yeah?

roonster09

Scout
You want to make "harsh posts" about Chelsea fine, but maybe cut out these tantrums when you get called up on them yeah?
"Practice what you preach" "reap what you sow" and few more, as simple as that.

"When you get called up on them" :lol:

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
"Practice what you preach" "reap what you sow" and few more, as simple as that.
90% of your contributions in this thread have been thrash talking about Chelsea and getting all upset about getting called up on it. What's even more bizzare on this occasion is that you've just had one of your best results of the post Fergie era and instead of enjoying the aftermath of it you're on a thread dedicated to a rival team getting all upset because of a few of us have praised Thiago Silva after a 0-0 draw :houllier:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The funniest thing was that when they signed him, a lot of Chelsea fans thought it was a great deal as it allowed them to get rid of 'the snake' Courtois.
That was just a minority. Most of us were happy because he appeared to be a top young keeper with good footballing skills (vital for Sarri's system) who was highly rated in his home country.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
‘the snake’ Courtois was already gone before we signed Kepa. Funny that huh?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
That was just a minority. Most of us were happy because he appeared to be a top young keeper with good footballing skills (vital for Sarri's system) who was highly rated in his home country.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
In fairness he was decent in Sarri's season. Don't remember him making any major errors like he's done in last few games and even made key saves at the end of the season so we secured 3rd. Has regressed hugely.

Clearly his head has now totally gone this season. You feel we'll concede at any moment with him playing and that is a massive problem. Keeping him this season has turned out to be a major mistake and I wouldn't play him for us again.

Must be loaned in January even if we have to pay 100% of his wages and let another club play him for free.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
90% of your contributions in this thread have been thrash talking about Chelsea and getting all upset about getting called up on it. What's even more bizzare on this occasion is that you've just had one of your best results of the post Fergie era and instead of enjoying the aftermath of it you're on a thread dedicated to a rival team getting all upset because of a few of us have praised Thiago Silva after a 0-0 draw :houllier:
Maybe you have shit memory or maybe you are a liar. I have posted 38 posts and nearly half of them are in reply to your posts because you got upset when I said "Chelsea fans use what about ManUtd a lot" and few other posts are in reply to Chelsea's Glaston (that's insulting Glaston btw) who made a dumb post saying "All ManUtd attack is bunch of average players who runs fast". So if you remove my posts in reply to nonsense like "average players who runs fast" or reply to your posts, I have only praised Chelsea in this thread, like they have second best squad in the league and predicting they will have very good season.

Upset because Thiago Silva was praised, what you assume is very different from reality. That post was nothing to do with Thiago Silva.

ManUtd fan posting on ManUtd forum, what a strange thing to do.

diarm

This whole story is another reason to be thankful for that broken fax machine a few years back. A huge transfer fee, a 7 year contract and massive wages for a flop - you just know we would've been all over that had we been in the market for a keeper back then.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: one more "what about ManUtd" troll. This post is ironic at its best, WUM who posts nothing but shit on ManUtd in the ManUtd forum crying about few harsh posts on Chelsea. fecking hell.
What? :lol: :lol:
I'm just telling you that I've seen just as much excuses for United’s poor state as Chelsea fans make for ours here. Its not a ‘Chelsea fans exclusive thing’ like your shitty rant was making it out to be. Its a very common thing in every fandom. The fact that i had to explain this to you isn’t surprising at all. Like I've told you before, you getting all worked up about Chelsea fans praising/not shitting on their team/manager is your problem. Try working on it.

I wum wums...and you are one(with respect to Chelsea) and have decent convos with others looking for it. If you can't take the heat, quit giving it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe you have shit memory or maybe you are a liar. I have posted 38 posts and nearly half of them are in reply to your posts because you got upset when I said "Chelsea fans use what about ManUtd a lot" and few other posts are in reply to Chelsea's Glaston (that's insulting Glaston btw) who made a dumb post saying "All ManUtd attack is bunch of average players who runs fast". So if you remove my posts in reply to nonsense like "average players who runs fast" or reply to your posts, I have only praised Chelsea in this thread, like they have second best squad in the league and predicting they will have very good season.

Upset because Thiago Silva was praised, what you assume is very different from reality. That post was nothing to do with Thiago Silva.

ManUtd fan posting on ManUtd forum, what a strange thing to do.
Even if all that were true the fact that this is getting to you at the same time you're suppose to be basking in the aftermath of one of your greatest results in recent times says a lot.

And yeah this is a United forum but last time I checked it didn't state in the rules you had to rant in a thread about a rival team instead of enjoying the aftermath of a huge win for your club. There's threads dedicated to our rivals on Chelsea forum's (and United fans as members) so by your logic next time we win a big match I should go on those threads and have a big rant about whichever team just had a 0-0 bore draw at the same time :houllier: (I mean if we beat PSG away at the same time you drew 0-0 to Sevilla at Old Trafford I'd be too happy to even bother checking your result, let alone get mad because a few of your fans praised your defensive display).

roonster09

Scout
What? :lol: :lol:
I'm just telling you that I've seen just as much excuses for United’s poor state as Chelsea fans make for ours here. Its not a ‘Chelsea fans exclusive thing’ like your shitty rant was making it out to be. Its a very common thing in every fandom. The fact that i had to explain this to you isn’t surprising at all. Like I've told you before, you getting all worked up about Chelsea fans praising/not shitting on their team/manager is your problem. Try working on it.

I wum wums...and you are one(with respect to Chelsea) and have decent convos with others looking for it. If you can't take the heat, quit giving it.
Like the other lad, you live in some dreamland, confuse posters or have shit memory or just liars. I didn't say bunch of excuses are exclusive to Chelsea either, like I said you and the other guy just assumes a lot and comes up with pile of nonsense.

I couldn't give shit about how Chelsea fans rate their team or manager, bunch of goody goody fans are not representation of Chelsea fans. Their Shed end forum represents more than couple of WUMs/Trolls here, they are posters who doubt Lampard like in any other club.

"If you can't take the heat" says the guy who cries because ManUtd fan posted something harsh on his club. :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Even if all that were true the fact that this is getting to you at the same time you're suppose to be basking in the aftermath of one of your greatest results in recent times says a lot.

And yeah this is a United forum but last time I checked it didn't state in the rules you had to rant in a thread about a rival team instead of enjoying the aftermath of a huge win for your club. There's threads dedicated to our rivals on Chelsea forum's (and United fans as members) so by your logic next time we win a big match I should go on those threads and have a big rant about whichever team just had a 0-0 bore draw at the same time :houllier: (I mean if we beat PSG away at the same time you drew 0-0 to Sevilla at Old Trafford I'd be too happy to even bother checking your result, let alone get mad because a few of your fans praised your defensive display).
This isn't one of our greatest result ffs, that was a good win and that has nothing to do with any of these posts. Completely unrelated nonsense here. Just because we won against PSG doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about any team for a week.

It's not even a rant. Just because you read in an angry tone doesn't make it a rant. Maybe should stop checking rival forums at 4AM (and also stop assuming that everyone is in UK too if that helps).

Yeah I'm mad because Chelsea drew 0-0 vs Sevilla :lol:. Make the shit up and post the same thing again and again.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I'm mad because Chelsea drew 0-0 vs Sevilla :lol:
Yeah when you put it like that it's not something I'd expect someone to be upset about either, which makes your anger and bitterness all the more mind-blowing.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Like the other lad, you live in some dreamland, confuse posters or have shit memory or just liars. I didn't say bunch of excuses are exclusive to Chelsea either, like I said you and the other guy just assumes a lot and comes up with pile of nonsense.

I couldn't give shit about how Chelsea fans rate their team or manager, bunch of goody goody fans are not representation of Chelsea fans. Their Shed end forum represents more than couple of WUMs/Trolls here, they are posters who doubt Lampard like in any other club.

"If you can't take the heat" says the guy who cries because ManUtd fan posted something harsh on his club. :lol:
Oh so you know some Chelsea fans doubt Frank Lampard? How does that make you feel?
You don't give a shit, yet here you are boiling piss at the mention of Frank and good in the same sentence. Try doing what people who don't give a shit really do...take a break.

Also when someone who was nearly on the verge of tears when I said all Rashford does is run and shoot hard and referenced Bruno as the ‘Penalty Lord’ is accusing me of crying because a few harsh words are said about my club....that mate is what irony is.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but I revel in it. Keep it coming.

Also for your information, I actually adore Glaston. Wish I can be as passionate and positive about my club as him. You're constant reference to him is still borderline obsessive though.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah when you put it like that it's not something I'd expect someone to be upset about either, which makes your anger and bitterness all the more mind-blowing.
I posted something on how Chelsea fans changed their tune (now don't come up with usual boring what about ManUtd, I never said it's only Chelsea thing) you came up with shit reply and this argument went somewhere else but somehow I'm angry, bitter :lol:

Like I said, make shit up and post it randomly.

roonster09

Scout
Oh so you know some Chelsea fans doubt Frank Lampard? How does that make you feel?
You don't give a shit, yet here you are boiling piss at the mention of Frank and good in the same sentence. Try doing what people who don't give a shit really do...take a break.

Also when someone who was nearly on the verge of tears when I said all Rashford does is run and shoot hard and referenced Bruno as the ‘Penalty Lord’ is accusing me of crying because a few harsh words are said about my club....that mate is what irony is.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but I revel in it. Keep it coming.

Also for you're information, I actually adore Glastonbury. Wish I can be as passionate and positive about my club as him. You're constant reference to him is still borderline obsessive though.
Boiling piss, bitter, angry

One lad says I'm angry because Thiago Silva was praised and the other WUM thinks I'm angry because Lampard was praised. When people make shit up, this is the end result. That post had nothing to do with Silva, Lampard or any Chelsea player. The fact that you can't even read is not my problem.

"I revel in it" :lol: Somewhere there is perfect meme but shame we don't do that on caf.

Untied

Well to be fair to Chelsea's board no one would have anticipated him to turn out into such a dud. When chelsea bought him he was highly rated like de gea and Oblak in their early 20s so naturally a long contract made sense then.

I think it is best for all the parties to sell him and move on.
https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/chelseas-rebound-date-kepa-arrizabalaga/

StatsBomb nailed it in August 2018

From our analysis, we have profiled Kepa as an okay shot stopper, average cross collector, and average distributor.

In the most expensive goalkeeper transfer of all time, we would expect to see something that makes sense. Something that makes Kepa shine. Something that justifies £71M. At that price, I don’t see the value in Kepa Arrizabalaga.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

Roonster my old mate. Still winding people up?

I'm not going to get involved with your ongoing ruminations with other Chelsea fans but I can't let this claim about posters on the Shed End Forum go unchallenged. I suspect you've been stalking around in there but you seem to have drawn a very strange conclusion about Franks popularity. I'm a regular in that forum and only this week a poll was opened by a very strange new member. Goes by the name of Talal. He joined on 3rd October. Another poster voting against Frank also only joined in October. Another in August. 4 posters in total have voted against Frank, 3 of them new members and the other one apparently clicked the wrong button.

There has been a call to close the thread because its not even a discussion point among fans. There has been some debate about how real these new posters are and the conclusion is that its probably a journo somewhere try to make up a story.

Now I know you get accused of all sorts of things and I don't want you to take this the wrong way but is it you?

roonster09

Scout
Roonster my old mate. Still winding people up?

I'm not going to get involved with your ongoing ruminations with other Chelsea fans but I can't let this claim about posters on the Shed End Forum go unchallenged. I suspect you've been stalking around in there but you seem to have drawn a very strange conclusion about Franks popularity. I'm a regular in that forum and only this week a poll was opened by a very strange new member. Goes by the name of Talal. He joined on 3rd October. Another poster voting against Frank also only joined in October. Another in August. 4 posters in total have voted against Frank, 3 of them new members and the other one apparently clicked the wrong button.

There has been a call to close the thread because its not even a discussion point among fans. There has been some debate about how real these new posters are and the conclusion is that its probably a journo somewhere try to make up a story.

Now I know you get accused of all sorts of things and I don't want you to take this the wrong way but is it you?
:lol: No. There are few forums I used to post, like boards.ie, FMBase, Inter forum but never signed up for any PL club forum.

Also I'm not winding up anyone, it's just that people take everything so wrong, maybe they are smashing their keyboard and expect everyone to do the same.

I read only after Southampton game and I'm not talking about polls. I saw few posts calling him not good enough and few posters saying few players are letting him down with individual mistakes.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
:lol: No. There are few forums I used to post, like boards.ie, FMBase, Inter forum but never signed up for any PL club forum.

Also I'm not winding up anyone, it's just that people take everything so wrong, maybe they are smashing their keyboard and expect everyone to do the same.

I read only after Southampton game and I'm not talking about polls. I saw few posts calling him not good enough and few posters saying few players are letting him down with individual mistakes.
He's got a 96% approval rating and the 4% are 75% new suspect members.

There's always a healthy debate about serious issues on The Shed End but Franks position isn't in question at the moment.

Its a much smaller forum than this one but there are a few regular posters and the quality of post has improved in the last year. There's even a Utd fan who pops in to look at the vintage pictures quite frequently. Only this week we had a discussion with him and he pointed out that Tommy Baldwin, (old school Chelsea fan fave) played for Utd on a few occasions. A few years ago he might have got a bit of abuse but its cleaned right up and there was even a bit of a Utd - Chelsea love in. Only for a short while though.

roonster09

Scout
He's got a 96% approval rating and the 4% are 75% new suspect members.

There's always a healthy debate about serious issues on The Shed End but Franks position isn't in question at the moment.

Its a much smaller forum than this one but there are a few regular posters and the quality of post has improved in the last year. There's even a Utd fan who pops in to look at the vintage pictures quite frequently. Only this week we had a discussion with him and he pointed out that Tommy Baldwin, (old school Chelsea fan fave) played for Utd on a few occasions. A few years ago he might have got a bit of abuse but its cleaned right up and there was even a bit of a Utd - Chelsea love in. Only for a short while though.
Yeah, discussions are more level headed. Few of them who had doubts on Lampard didn't call him all sort of names, they explained why he might not be the right person (and poster was called wanker for wanting Lampard out :D )

Again, I'm not talking about polls. I read that forum after Southampton game and there were few who wanted him gone/doubts his ability to lead Chelsea. . I didn't say Lampard position is questioned, I said few posters doubts his ability just like in any other club (In our case, it's more divided).

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
You could try giving inter a call ? they've done us wonders over the last year.
We've sold to Utd over the years but i suspect they won't take this one.

Maybe we could encourage him to take up Mandarin.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Dull as feck. Obviously both teams set out to not loose first and given how games have gone between the two in the past and the mounting pressure on both managers, its very understandable. I feel United had the better of the chances created but we really should have been awarded a pen. I'll take a draw at OT on any given day so onwards. Again very disappointing football game.

Another cleensheet with all three of our summer defensive acquisitions on the pitch. Small sample size of course but their impact is clear to see.
We have a goalkeeper in post instead of a training cone and that alone is a massive boost to our defence.

TheReligion

Abusive
Dull as feck. Obviously both teams set out to not loose first and given how games have gone between the two in the past and the mounting pressure on both managers, its very understandable. I feel United had the better of the chances created but we really should have been awarded a pen. I'll take a draw at OT on any given day so onwards. Again very disappointing football game.

Another cleensheet with all three of our summer defensive acquisitions on the pitch. Small sample size of course but their impact is clear to see.
We have a goalkeeper in post instead of a training cone and that alone is a massive boost to our defence.
Probably a pen although even Azipulcueta wasn't sure himself.. there was also one on Rashford you could argue.

Both teams disappointing but Mendy kept you in the game with three great saves. Frustrating from my part as you were there for the taking and DDG had nothing to do all game.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Kepa is such a horrible signing. You can see the big contrast in quality between him and Mendy. Not sure how you paid a world record fee for a goalkeeper for him. If kepa started, we would have won. Havertz looks like another potential flop of catastrophic magnitude. I don’t see anything good in him. He is like a cheap imitations of Ozil.

lampard set up for the draw. I have seen your team attack much better than they did today. Not sure if that was the right approach for him, but I expect a more attacking display from Chelsea when we meet you again at Stamford bridge. You got lucky that we weren’t more risky taking in our attack.

Bobski

Found myself thinking that guys like Pulisic, Mount, Werner, Havertz could all do with someone like Giroud to play off. Giroud rinsed our CB's in the cup semi, and as much as he is not a long term option Chelsea are just a bit lightweight throughout.

Ace of Spades

I miss Kepa. We would have won that game with him in your side.

Lampard should play him more, he would have provided much needed entertainment in an otherwise dull game.:(

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I miss Kepa. We would have won that game with him in your side.

Lampard should play him more, he would have provided much needed entertainment in an otherwise dull game.:(
Yeah Mata's shot especially would have flew in and he'd have made It look unsavable.

Even with a more conservative approach in the last two, it's no coincidence he's only conceded one goal in four.