Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
No I don't even think haaland or Lukaku. We can easily bring striker worth the money. Low profile but fit into tuchel s style of play.

Lukaku I will certainly not want to bring him. Haaland though every one raving about him and his ability i am not warming towards him.

If tuchel believes in any striker other than those two I am all in for that. A striker who can provide 15 goals 5-10 assists is all I want.Werner certainly capable of that. Havertz too.

So one more striker with havertz and Werner improving further will provide very good option in rotation, injury concerns and all. If broja be that striker then so be it if tuchel thinks he can be very good. But certainly need more goals if we want to challenge city.
The issue i have with buying someone who can do this is that Tammy could already achieve it now. Why buy someone no better than who we have already in Abraham, Havertz or Werner.

If we go for a striker it has to be someone more prolific than our current options

Chief123

I don't really see any reason to panic in this window.

I prefer the club to approach the market only gunning for the cream of the crop of European football. We have a more than good enough current squad and a steady supply of very talented academy players to not waste any resources on 3rd or 4th choice targets if the main targets aren't gettable this summer.

Kane is a nonstarter so forget him, but if we can't get Haaland or Lukaku, then my preference would to be to sign no strikers this summer and go with what we have. The same applies to other positions.

I don't agree with the idea that Chelsea can't improve without any new signings. We've already invested a lot into many young talented players and the expectation is to see continuous improvements from them, the likes of Havertz, Pulisic, Mount, James, CHO, Werner, Chilwell etc.
I don’t think any club should panic buy, but I do think it’s still a big gamble for Chelsea to go into this season with the same striker options. In fact, less options with no Giroud now.

Everyone can see Werner is not good enough to lead the line. That leaves Tammy Abraham and Havertz as striker options.

Like I said, if Chelsea had lost the final against Man City there would have been a lot more urgency right now. Winning it can give you a false sense of security. If Chelsea go into this season with the same striker options, I honestly don’t see them winning the league or champs league.

Yes they won the champs league and did well to go all the way. But they still finished 4th behind Liverpool who had a an absolutely disastrous season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That's big problem whenever we won we failed to build upon that. We really failed to build better team around hazard. If Jose or conte got players to improve first team we would have challenged city following seasons and gave a real shot at CL with hazard.We failed hazard and his talent by refused to build a better team around him and not justified his talents. Now we should not stagnate and do same thing for havertz too.

Of course we already have very good young hungry team and players who can improve lot such as havertz,ziyech,Werner and cho. We should not let ourselves down in my opinion.

Need to back tuchel in every way board can.If we want to challenge city then striker is must who can score and contribute 25-30 goals.I will be happy if Werner or havertz provided that.But can't build a competitive team without competition for places.
The key difference is after Mou and Conte title wins there were clear need for improvement despite that and we were largely carried by Hazard and Courtois (in Mou's case) and the winning run where the new system caught the league flatfooted (in Conte's). This is an excellent and crucially young squad that are on the way up.

Is there an attainable keeper better than Mendy? Outside of Haaland has any potential striker option scored more last season than Timo/Kai did the year before they came to us? So will signing them be a safer bet than banking on second season improvement from them or even a breakout season from Broja for that matter? I can't believe I'm saying this but is there even a clear attainable upgrade on Rudi and Chris if we stick to a back three? Tuchel absolutely loves our midfield three so it will take someone unbelievably good to break that currently.

Wingback is the one position we do ideally need some fresh blood but trying Sterling vs getting another Zappacosta type is a no brainer.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough, my general point was just whoever Chelsea's targets are (all the reports do suggest that it's Haaland #1 and Lukaku #2), we should do what we can to bring in one of those, but we can't I'd prefer to go with what we have rather than settling for players who weren't our top choices.

I'd rather go with Havertz, Werner and Broja than sign Ings for example.
My concern is board should try to bring tuchel s preferences rather than forced some random signings. Tuchel not looked as confrontational as Jose or conte.

Even board don't bring anyone I think tuchel will be content with that but board shuld not expect title race or cl deep run.
Yes he may do that again as well but need to be realistic as well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The key difference is after Mou and Conte title wins there were clear need for improvement despite that and we were largely carried by Hazard and Courtois (in Mou's case) and the winning run where the new system caught the league flatfooted (in Conte's). This is an excellent and crucially young squad that are on the way up.

Is there an attainable keeper better than Mendy? Outside of Haaland has any potential striker option scored more last season than Timo/Kai did the year before they came to us? So will signing them be a safer bet than banking on second season improvement from them or even a breakout season from Broja for that matter? I can't believe I'm saying this but is there even a clear attainable upgrade on Rudi and Chris if we stick to a back three? Tuchel absolutely loves our midfield three so it will take someone unbelievably good to break that currently.

Wingback is the one position we do ideally need some fresh blood but trying Sterling vs getting another Zappacosta type is a no brainer.
That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

We spent £123m the summer after we won the title in 2017 for example, to bring in 2 players, Kepa and Jorginho. We spent a further £65m in the January window to sign Pulisic who we loaned back to Dortmund and a £7m loan fee for Higuain. We finished 5th that season despite spending about £185 across two transfer windows as title winners.

Bloating the squad with average to poor players etc should hopefully be a thing of the past now that the academy and the loan system has proven that it can provide a steady supply of talent we can use to either put into the first team or plug the gaps in the squad with.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
My concern is board should try to bring tuchel s preferences rather than forced some random signings. Tuchel not looked as confrontational as Jose or conte.

Even board don't bring anyone I think tuchel will be content with that but board shuld not expect title race or cl deep run.
Yes he may do that again as well but need to be realistic as well.
I'm going to assume Tuchel and the club are on the same page re; Haaland and Lukaku.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'm going to assume Tuchel and the club are on the same page re; Haaland and Lukaku.
We stumbled upon very good manager by luck. Hope he will stay minimum three to four seasons. Players are very young too. They developed very good relationship even players didn't get much chances looked happier like cho.

Werner ziyech and havertz have lot of room for improvement. Rumours also suggested CHO gained a yard of pace he lost while injured.

We have a great squad only if the players we are hoping they will improve vastly otherwise we will struggle in front of goal and as consequence struggle in league too. Hope board won't put too much pressure on tuchel if team not upgraded in midfield and striker area.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Last season doesn’t count. All behind closed doors, playing Atletico in Bucharest, Porto in Seville and Real Madrid at their fecking training ground. Doesn’t count. They scraped top 4 again and that’s the best they’ll manage this year with their expensive flops.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Last season doesn’t count. All behind closed doors, playing Atletico in Bucharest, Porto in Seville and Real Madrid at their fecking training ground. Doesn’t count. They scraped top 4 again and that’s the best they’ll manage this year with their expensive flops.
Never ceases to amaze me the mental gymnastics people go through. All teams played in these conditions. Villarreal definitely counts.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
I predict Chelsea being out of the top 4 and Tuchel will be sacked around February, ultimately hiring a new manager and barely scraping top 4.

Rinse and repeat next season.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Two times champions league winners mate. That's what count.

romufc

Looks like Chelsea have faith in their squad, doesn't look like they will strengthen this summer.

I do think they do need a ST.

The one thing I do worry is that Chelsea really have a bloated squad, lets see how Tuchel uses it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
There is a lot of transfer window left, but I do hope it is only players that can improve the squad. We have more than enough rotation players.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Let's not continue that here...? Just ignore that poster.
No, lets. Where else am I going to continue it? This bloke comes into the Chelsea thread to say that "Last season doesn't count" and that it's "mental" to think otherwise. Salty boy came into this specific thread, full of Chelsea oppos, to spout his ridiculous nonsense. What do you expect?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No, lets. Where else am I going to continue it? This bloke comes into the Chelsea thread to say that "Last season doesn't count" and that it's "mental" to think otherwise. Salty boy came into this specific thread, full of Chelsea oppos, to spout his ridiculous nonsense.
I obviously can't make you do anything, but responding like that is going to derail the thread, and shitting on United in return is going to lead to warnings (I know that wasn't you).

I agree it's a dumb point btw, but I'd go with 'don't feed the troll'.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Come on marina bring one midfielder at least.
Let's not continue that here...? Just ignore that poster.
Ok. It's just response other than anything. Have to keep in mind it's united forum first of all.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I obviously can't make you do anything, but responding like that is going to derail the thread, and shitting on United in return is going to lead to warnings (I know that wasn't you).

I agree it's a dumb point btw, but I'd go with 'don't feed the troll'.
It's a very generalistic thread which gets 'derailed' all the time, every season. I guess we just use this forum differently because I've never ignored anyone here and I'd rather feed a troll than leave it alone.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No, lets. Where else am I going to continue it? This bloke comes into the Chelsea thread to say that "Last season doesn't count" and that it's "mental" to think otherwise. Salty boy came into this specific thread, full of Chelsea oppos, to spout his ridiculous nonsense. What do you expect?
This is a Chelsea thread on a Man Utd forum, one of its literal purposes is for United fans to come and talk smack about Chelsea in. If you can't handle that then post about Chelsea on a Chelsea forum

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
This is a Chelsea thread on a Man Utd forum, one of its literal purposes is for United fans to come and talk smack about Chelsea in. If you can't handle that then post about Chelsea on a Chelsea forum
Here comes the big boy troll. Obsessed with our fans on here and loves telling people to leave the forum.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t mind some banter. As long as both people can take as well as give. Having lesser team’s fans taking jabs at the Kings of Europe is expected!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't expect much from Chelsea this season. I still think they lack some firepower upfront.

(Unless Werner starts banging in 30 goals)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Away to Bournemouth tomorrow night. Free to watch online.

Will still be the vast majority of the first team missing but interesting to see how CHO, Pulisic and RLC are looking.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Away to Bournemouth tomorrow night. Free to watch online.

Will still be the vast majority of the first team missing but interesting to see how CHO, Pulisic and RLC are looking.
Want to see broja. Looking forward to it.

TheReligion

Abusive
This guy hates me but I agree. We're Man United and we'll troll where we want.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
This guy hates me but I agree. We're Man United and we'll troll where we want.
Just don't throw your toys out the pram and tell us to go find another forum if you get trolled back. A general point, not really aimed at you.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Some interesting bits:

On joining Chelsea.

A few years later, in summer 2018, another unexpected offer came: Chelsea F.C.

To be honest, I didn’t think much of it at first, because my contract had a buyout clause of 80 million euros. Athletic were not even going to negotiate. They had never negotiated with the sales of important players like Javi Martínez, Fernando Llorente or Ander Herrera. Obviously, I was very happy that a club with the history and potential of Chelsea was interested in me, but I just didn't think it was going to happen.
But a few days later my agent told me that Chelsea had offered a huge fee, if not quite the full clause. I was like, Wow, they must really want me. When they then offered to pay the buyout clause, I had a big decision to make.
I spent days thinking about it. It felt like a huge responsibility, but also a huge compliment that a club like Chelsea had made such a big offer for me. In the end, I am very happy to be able to say that I said: “Let’s go for it.” The hardest decisions are the ones that make us grow.

On 8 August, I signed the deal.

On 11 August, I was in Huddersfield, playing my first game for Chelsea.

Everything went very quickly. It felt as if I had been teleported into a new reality. I only knew my teammates from what I had seen on Spanish TV. As for my English, well ... it wasn't great.

Fortunately, the club welcomed me with open arms, and I was lucky that there were many other Spaniards: Cesc Fàbregas, Álvaro Morata, Pedro, [Irrelevant point], César Azpilicueta — and also Mateo Kovačić, who arrived from Real Madrid at the same time and who also speaks Spanish.
On refusing to be substituted:

For me, only that moment in the League Cup final tarnished my first season…. Let’s just deal with that here once and for all.

It was all a big misunderstanding.

Manchester City were dominating the game in extra time and there was barely any time left until penalties. After making a save, I felt something in my leg and I called for the physio to make sure it was nothing. Above all, though, I wanted to make sure that we as a team could catch our breath.

Suddenly, I saw that the coach, Maurizio Sarri, had sent Willy Caballero to warm up. He thought I couldn't go on. My intention, right or wrong, had only been to waste time to help the team. I didn’t have any serious problem that was going to keep me from continuing to play.

I tried to signal that I was O.K., that I wasn’t injured. But we were at Wembley in front of more than 80,000 people, so of course Sarri didn’t understand me. When the fourth official raised the board, clearly I should have come off, and I’m sorry I didn’t.

I was wrong, and I am sorry for everyone who was involved: for Maurizio Sarri, who it seemed like I had undermined in public; for Willy, a teammate and a great professional; and for all my teammates and Chelsea fans who had to put up with everything — all the noise that was generated during the game and then in the days after.

Inside the club it was no big deal. I had a chat with the boss, we talked about how we had each seen the situation, and we cleared the air. After that I got dropped for one game, but a week later I was back in the team. I remember playing a great game against Fulham, and that was it. A couple of months later we knocked Frankfurt out of the Europa League semifinals and I saved two penalties in the shootout. Internally, everything was fine again.

But outside the club, it got out of control.

When I picked up my phone in the dressing room after the League Cup final, I realised that I had become worldwide news. For the next three or four days it didn’t stop. It was overwhelming. And clearly, most people who saw the pictures thought that I had disrespected Maurizio.

I felt misunderstood, because it had never been my intention to snub the coach. I had only tried to tell him I was O.K.. I tried to explain this to the press, but I couldn’t.

Luckily, now it is just an anecdote from the past. I still have a fantastic relationship with Maurizio. And next time, in a similar situation, I will know what to do.

But it is an example that not everything is what it seems from the outside.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just don't throw your toys out the pram and tell us to go find another forum if you get trolled back. A general point, not really aimed at you.
We do get trolled back! @Dancfc has been at it in the Varane transfer thread earlier.

I miss the days of arranging a straightener in Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.