Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Would rather get Griezmann than
Lukaku, just need pay him a signing on bonus to cover difference between our wage limit and his Barcelona contract.

Barcelona have to offload him one way or another, surely we've got someone Barcelona can put on the books at decent value as a makeweight.

At least we're seemingly serious about getting a proven goal scorer anyway.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Lukaku, just need pay him a signing on bonus to cover difference between our wage limit and his Barcelona contract.

Barcelona have to offload him one way or another, surely we've got someone Barcelona can put on the books at decent value as a makeweight.

He's 30 and has 22 goals in 70 games for Barcelona. No.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
For the reported fees I feel that a long-term contract for Lukaku, at this stage of his career, would be slightly too risky for me to be comfortable with. He has obviously been playing well at Inter and offers a goal threat that we currently lack in the squad and I think he could be very good for a season or two. But considering how long he has been playing football for I feel like his "footballer age" (for a lack of a better term) is older than his actual age, and that the physical drop-off could be quite sudden, and I don't think he has the technical aspects to his game which will allow him to slot into a role that isn't a pure goal scorer. Starting playing senior football at a young age of course isn't a guarantee that the drop-off will be earlier than players who start playing senior football at around age 18, but considering he's been carrying around a large amount of mass for his entire career I fear that that unfortunately will be the case. Hope he proves me wrong on that front though, wherever he plays.

That said I would also love to see him playing for Chelsea in a senior role, and it would feel very unfulfilling for a lot of Chelsea fans if he didn't considering how big of a fan he is (was?) of the club, the heights he has reached, and how many times he has been on the club's radar.

Regarding the academy departures the buy-back for Livramento adds some silver lining to what was starting to leave a bit of a sour taste. Of course not every academy player can become a part of the first team squad, but losing some stand-out performers and feeling that they perhaps hadn't been given a proper chance to enter the first-team squad felt like regression after the optimism around the academy that had been built up with Lampard in charge and the transfer ban. Soton instinctively feels like a bit of a gamble for Livramento though as they have a promising KWP on his preferred position, but I guess since he can play on the other side as well (as well as higher up) he will have plenty of opportunities. There are worse managers to play under than Hasenhüttl when you're a youngster too I suppose.

CM

You're lacking a proper goalscorer and Lukaku fits that bill far moreso than Griezmann. There are some limitations to Lukaku's game but outside of Haaland he's the best striker you're gonna get.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You're lacking a proper goalscorer and Lukaku fits that bill far moreso than Griezmann. There are some limitations to Lukaku's game but outside of Haaland he's the best striker you're gonna get.
True to a degree, though big question marks over Lukaku attitude and some technical aspects of his game for me.

Hadn't actually realised Griezmann is 30 already. I think his game would suit us well. He's suffered at Barcelona, playing wrong position etc. His goal record was better for Atletico.

Technically he's a better footballer, better attitude and pressing capabilities. His wages and age are pretty significant problems though I agree.

Poverty in the market for the kind of player we want currently really.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Werner works his socks off on and off the ball, will be interesting to see how Lukaku fits the team.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
But is he any better than Abraham?

Lukaku at Utd scored 28 in 68 appearances (1 every 2.48 games)
Abraham at Chelsea 21 in 58 appearances (1 every 2.76 games)

I wouldn't want to spend £100m on a 28 year old who doesn't improve us much if at all, rather take a punt on an up and coming striker or bank the cash for next season

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

I wouldn't want to spend £100m on a 28 year old who doesn't improve us much if at all, rather take a punt on an up and coming striker or bank the cash for next season
Lukaku's PL record is 113 in 252 and that's across 4 different clubs.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea board must be in desperate situation. Of all strikers Lukaku is their choice. I don't mind Lukaku he is exactly what chelsea needed a flat track bully. But if things didn't work out he will start to talk too much.

Irwin99

Have never been a Lukaku hater and he'll definitely get bags of goals but the thought of potentially being in for Haaland and then settling for Lukaku must be depressing as feck for Chelsea fans :lol:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku's PL record is 113 in 252 and that's across 4 different clubs.
Also have to mention we played him RW for some unknown reason too.

Publicly he said he isn’t leaving so unless his entourage have said differently I cannot think anything but BS on this story. Imagine we agree £100 mil and he says ‘nope’.

CM

I don't think Lukaku played close to his best level for United after his good start. Mourinho attempted to play him as a target man which doesn't play to his strengths at all, and he was completely out of shape in his second season here.

I would imagine Tuchel would be more intelligent in how he uses him if you signed him. I don't think Tammy would do too badly for you if Tuchel trusted him as the first choice but I can't envisage that happening now after his limited opportunities last season and all the noise about him leaving.

You can argue the merits of what value for money you'd be getting with Lukaku, and perhaps that would convince you to look elsewhere, but he is without doubt a better goalscorer than Abraham.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Very good yesterday against Arsenal with some nice counterattacks. If Haaland or another top striker joins, they'll be deadly.

Hard seeing them so far above my club but Chelsea just have a ruthlessness and efficiency which makes them serial winners.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58068429

Romelu Lukaku: Inter reject Chelsea's £85m bid for Belgium striker

Better than Werner but will frustrate in the big matches
Personally do not want Lukaku, but for me his biggest selling point was that he would cost half of what Haaland would cost this summer and for all his flaws, he's guaranteed goals where ever he's been. If it's going to take a bid of over 100m to get Inter to sell though, then we should walk away from that deal. I've consistently said if we can't get the right deal, I'd more than happy to roll with Werner and Havertz who we paid 130m just 12 months ago.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A bit surprised Inter turned that down, he's 28, and it's a very healthy profit over what they paid for him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
i'm that convinced Havertz at false 9 is the way forward i am even indifferent to signing Haaland let alone Lukaku.

People seem to be underestimating him due to the fact he had a slow start due to Covid and playing under a manager who didn't know how to use him.

MUFC OK

A bit surprised Inter turned that down, he's 28, and it's a very healthy profit over what they paid for him.
They owe utd at least £30m and we have a 25% sell on clause. Doesn't leave much for Inter to reinvest.

A lot of their fans on twitter think they are getting Haaland this summer, which is amusing. It keeps trending with no reputable updates. I think it's settled that he leaves next summer and has his pick of destination.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They owe utd at least £30m and we have a 25% sell on clause. Doesn't leave much for Inter to reinvest.

A lot of their fans on twitter think they are getting Haaland this summer, which is amusing. It keeps trending with no reputable updates. I think it's settled that he leaves next summer and has his pick of destination.
Totally forgot about that... was there any update with this? I thought if they didn't pay up we could take over the San Siro or some shit.

MUFC OK

Totally forgot about that... was there any update with this? I thought if they didn't pay up we could take over the San Siro or some shit.
They still owed some £43m back in March so assume there's still a large amount outstanding. Lukaku to Chelsea would be a fantastic deal for us but it wont happen.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
i'm that convinced Havertz at false 9 is the way forward i am even indifferent to signing Haaland let alone Lukaku.

People seem to be underestimating him due to the fact he had a slow start due to Covid and playing under a manager who didn't know how to use him.
Given the choice, I'd much prefer to stick with Havertz and not mess with his development. I'm very protective of him because I think he could be the centre piece in the team for years if we get his development right.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Given the choice, I'd much prefer to stick with Havertz and not mess with his development. I'm very protective of him because I think he could be the centre piece in the team for years if we get his development right.
Not just in himself but i believe it gets the best out of us as a team too. Us, City and Liverpool have all proven of late that f9 really is all the rage these days. It would be beyond depressing if we scraped such a promising system for Lukaku of all players and i'm usually someone who tries to search for the positives in any given decision.

Mr Smith

Chelsea are mad if they pay 100mil for Lukaku, he's good but has some pretty glaring limitations. I actually think they should seriously consider Griezmann, even though he's 30 and would be on hinge wages he'd cost less than half what Lukaku would and is far better in terms of technique and work rate.

As others have said though, they don't necessarily need a striker; I think Havertz is an excellent false 9, and possibly could become an out and out striker. They also have Abraham who offers something different, and Werner still could come good. I feel like Abramovic is obsessed with a statement signing just for the sake of it.

TheLord

He’d be 33 years, assuming that a usual 5 year, 90-100 million deal is prepared for Lukaku - that is a resale value for a grand total of zero pounds at the end of his contract,

I don’t think Chelsea are that desperate, are they - especially that Lukaku has repeatedly failed at English clubs, has a history of injuries, has glaring technical limitations, and is fat.

prateik

They owe us the money even if they dont sell him.. that isnt a factor.
100m euros would mean they get around 75m after the sell on clause.. that's not bad if they want to go shopping in this market. plenty of clubs needing money

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’d be 33 years, assuming that a usual 5 year, 90-100 million deal is prepared for Lukaku - that is a resale value for a grand total of zero pounds at the end of his contract,

I don’t think Chelsea are that desperate, are they - especially that Lukaku has repeatedly failed at English clubs, has a history of injuries, has glaring technical limitations, and is fat.
If his spell at United at is considered a failure, then that is the only English club has failed at.

prateik

btw.. where is the 25% sell on clause coming from. I cant find a source

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Will be delighted if they get Lukaku, gives us a pretty clear run at Haaland if City get Kane :drool:

roonster09

Scout
There's no sell on clause, Inter owe you from when they bought him.

Chelsea (or anyone) buying Lukaku won't change what Inter owe Man United.
There is sell on clause, it's not reported how much.

The Serie A club had a €60m (£54m) offer rejected last month and redoubled their efforts after Paulo Dybala’s prohibitive demands thwarted a potential swap deal involving Lukaku between United and Juventus. It is understood Inter will pay up to €80m (£73.75m) for the striker and a sell-on clause has been inserted in the deal.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...chester-united-after-new-bid?CMP=share_btn_tw

roonster09

Scout
100m euros would mean they get around 75m after the sell on clause.. that's not bad if they want to go shopping in this market. plenty of clubs needing money
If there is 25% sell on clause, we won't get 25% of the total fee, we get 25% on the profit. So if they sell him for 100 million then it's around 6.25 million.

MUFC OK

Legally you cant sell an asset that you do not yet own. Not sure if that's the point you were making.

Status
Not open for further replies.