Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Points when donkey plays - 1.75 per game
Points when donkey doesn't play - 2.09

Tuchel's biggest challenge is managing him out of the team. They're not title contenders at the best of times but they will be scrapping for top 4 again if he plays too much.
Breathtaking statistical prowess that

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A week between Tottenham and Plymouth, then club world cup in Qatar, a few weeks in the sun. Christensen, Chalobah and Reece James back. Hopefully a new LB to ease Alonso's load. The outlook could be a whole lot better in a couple of weeks.

ForeverRed1

Yah fr he is. Just pray our board acts smart for once. This is the first time I've seen where almost every Chelsea fan I know would rather keep Tuchel than any one single other Chelsea player.
yeah, it would be crazy to sack him because you don’t win the league. Man City are another stratosphere in terms of squad depth and pep is probably the best coach in the world right now.

the champions league win should honestly bide him more time, he also got you to a FA cup final and he’s only in his first full season. It took klopp a few to get anything at all, and it took pep a full season to win anything. What tuchel has done already is a good sign, honestly.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
A week between Tottenham and Plymouth, then club world cup in Qatar, a few weeks in the sun. Christensen, Chalobah and Reece James back. Hopefully a new LB to ease Alonso's load. The outlook could be a whole lot better in a couple of weeks.
Tagliafico available from Ajax for €7m reportedly...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tagliafico available from Ajax for €7m reportedly...
I'm not particularly enamoured with him, but we're in a tricky situation with this LB search, because ideally you wouldn't want someone too good who might get the hump and kick up a fuss if he isn't starting when Chilwell returns but you also want someone who is actually good, preferably quicker than Alonso.

It's why I wasn't keen on Digne because he'd be on high wages and most certainly wouldn't want to be backup next season. Emerson would be the perfect guy but I'll be damned if we have to pay £4m just to bring our own discarded player back.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not particularly enamoured with him, but we're in a tricky situation with this LB search, because ideally you wouldn't want someone too good who might get the hump and kick up a fuss if he isn't starting when Chilwell returns but you also want someone who is actually good, preferably quicker than Alonso.

It's why I wasn't keen on Digne because he'd be on high wages and most certainly wouldn't want to be backup next season. Emerson would be the perfect guy but I'll be damned if we have to pay £4m just to bring our own discarded player back.
Yeah agreed. I reckon Tagliafico could do a job - though he is getting on a bit.

I also like Grimaldo at Benfica - bit of a spotty injury history though and I think he has a pretty high release clause. That said, they're in quite the muddle at the moment and might be willing to negotiate...?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
BOOM!! Big money January signing over the line!!

Derby accept Chelsea bid for youngster
Chelsea have agreed a fee with Derby for young left back Dylan Williams.
Wayne Rooney said today the Rams had accepted a bid from an unnamed Premier League club for the 18-year-old.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Chelsea fans, interested to hear your take on this article in the Guardian. Sounds reasonable for the most part.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lsea-remain-a-cup-club-in-need-of-new-culture

By repeatedly letting underperforming players off the hook and adhering to a cycle of hiring and firing, Chelsea have become a cup team.

It is too volatile...
Chelsea's ruthless approach has gotten a lot of plaudits on here in recent years but it's fair to ask whether they've underachieved at the league level given their resources.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans, interested to hear your take on this article in the Guardian. Sounds reasonable for the most part.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lsea-remain-a-cup-club-in-need-of-new-culture

Chelsea's ruthless approach has gotten a lot of plaudits on here in recent years but it's fair to ask whether they've underachieved at the league level given their resources.
Not a huge a problem with any of that report. It's a bit odd though, that he poses some questions about why Chelsea have fallen adrift of City this season, provides some answers to his own questions then continues on in the report as if those answers/reasons do not exist.

But yeah, some quarters of the fanbase are very critical of the Chelsea board, Marina etc and have been for years. My view is we have absolutely under achieved in the league. We went 5 years without a title between 2010-15 and we're now 5 years without a title again. All the while spending has continued at a rapid rate. So yeah, 2 titles in the last 5 years isn't bad, but 2 titles in the last 12 years is less satisfactory. We've finished outside the top 4 as many times as we've won the title since 2010. Winning 2 CL's and multiple other decent trophies in that period has lessened that problem but .... yikes.

To me it seems like it's the nature of the game these days. Not many managers last more than than 24-36 months from what I can tell. Obviously Klopp and Pep being longer term managers on our door step isn't helpful. I don't have a problem with the take that the hiring/firing culture has it's disadvantages. It almost always leads to any given coach working with a mishmash of players signed for 3,4 maybe 5 different coaches.

Chelsea isn't perfect. The move to add Cech to the board was hugely welcome because the more football people you have in the room, especially highly intelligent ones like Cech, the better football decisions the club makes. I think City being this super duper well oiled machine is a little overstated. They'll likely fall back into the pack once Pep leaves and win titles at a normal top club rate.

Apologies for the essay. Surprised at how long that ended up being :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

City on target for 97 odd points this season, our greatest ever season was 95. No matter how good we'd been since our last title, pretty much need 100 points to be champions now, apart from the Covid hiatus season.

This season even when we were top of the table, with both our full backs fit and a functioning attack, were heading for only 92 points if kept up that form.

Guardiola creates title winning machines, the bar is so high virtually impossible to finish above them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Kind of intellectually dishonest to talk about Livramento and Lamptey's leaving because " neither youngster saw a pathway at Chelsea. The feeling is that the squad still contains too many players whose time has gone" .It's Reece James and the captain Azpi who were blocking them, not some washed up squad members. Should we have dumped Azpi or James to keep them? Ridiculous.

Losing both our full backs to long term injury and all the forwards all shitting the bed is what is costing us in the league.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just watching sky sports and the interview with Rudiger. Doesn’t give anything away about his contract and raised discussion with the panel.

Rudiger and Christensen both expiring with Silva, 37, and Azipilcueta, 32, both imminently leaving.

Obviously you’d expect at least one of them to renew but potentially you’re looking at a total rebuild of the back here. 3/4 replacements?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Just watching sky sports and the interview with Rudiger. Doesn’t give anything away about his contract and raised discussion with the panel.

Rudiger and Christensen both expiring with Silva, 37, and Azipilcueta, 32, both imminently leaving.

Obviously you’d expect at least one of them to renew but potentially you’re looking at a total rebuild of the back here. 3/4 replacements?
Silva signed an extension last week.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
As for the current CB scenario. Keeping Rudiger is the main priority now. Whilst Christensen has been fantastic since Tuchel came in he is still extremely injury prone and can't be relied on to play 30+ games a season. It would be a massive shame if Christensen were to leave having been at the club for 10 years and now reaching his prime but it would not be the end of the world. I think Azpilicueta is one of those ones where the decision is in the club's hands, if they deem it fit to keep him then he'll stay and if we can get a decent replacement then he'll go. I think it's certain we'll be getting Kounde in the summer to replace one of the CBs and possibly De Ligt if 2 of them end up leaving.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He’s at the very end of his career though? That’s the point I’m making. The only reason I think you’re chasing that is to offer some security given what’s happening with Rudiger and Christensen.

It’s a huge rebuild for Tuchel
Both Rudiger and Christensen probably renew at end of the season. I expect Azpi to leave.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He’s at the very end of his career though? That’s the point I’m making. The only reason I think you’re chasing that is to offer some security given what’s happening with Rudiger and Christensen.

Is it though? Tuchel uses 3 defenders because that’s what our best line up and formation is. Those guys weaknesses get exposed in a back 4. If they leave (still expect one to stay) we will likely change formation. Alonso looks to be slowly phased out and moved on, we could easily go to a back 4 again. At that point it’s not as big of a rebuild as people make it out to be.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I've felt for a while that City have definitely done Chelsea better than Chelsea have

City are on for their 6th title in the last 10 years this season, Chelsea have 2 in that same period and only 5 PL titles overall since Abramovich came in

Chelsea obviously clean up in the cups very rarely going a season without some kind of trophy but they've never dominated the league like City have.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

It does appear Christensen is certainly off. I think Rudiger will end up staying afterall, given that talks have reopened. Azpi i love but he's probably due a swansong in Spain. Kounde deal will be revisited i suspect.

TheReligion

Abusive
As for the current CB scenario. Keeping Rudiger is the main priority now. Whilst Christensen has been fantastic since Tuchel came in he is still extremely injury prone and can't be relied on to play 30+ games a season. It would be a massive shame if Christensen were to leave having been at the club for 10 years and now reaching his prime but it would not be the end of the world. I think Azpilicueta is one of those ones where the decision is in the club's hands, if they deem it fit to keep him then he'll stay and if we can get a decent replacement then he'll go. I think it's certain we'll be getting Kounde in the summer to replace one of the CBs and possibly De Ligt if 2 of them end up leaving.
Kounde seems to have been on the radar a while. Not sure on de Ligt as Juve would want more than they paid (I’m not sure he’s been that good either has he?).

Rudiger has to be the priority though I agree. You wonder why it’s taking so long though and at what point the club write it off?

Both Rudiger and Christensen probably renew at end of the season. I expect Azpi to leave.
Of course they might both sign on but it’s going to the wire for some reason. Usually all done pretty tidy. Not much being said either by all accounts?

Is it though? Tuchel uses 3 defenders because that’s what our best line up and formation is. Those guys weaknesses get exposed in a back 4. If they leave (still expect one to stay) we will likely change formation. Alonso looks to be slowly phased out and moved on, we could easily go to a back 4 again. At that point it’s not as big of a rebuild as people make it out to be.
I’d say it’s huge yeah. Losing 4 senior starting pros of quality, including the club captain (I think?) would be huge to sort out in the space of a season or two. Especially all defenders!

BorisManUtd

Since that CL win in 2012, Chelsea have won 2 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 2 Europa Leagues, 1 Fa Cup and 1 League Cup so far. Before that, in 2003-2012 period, they won 3 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 4 Fa Cups and 2 League Cups. It's a good record in these last 10 years but think Chelsea fans will feel that, after CL win in 2012, they could have done better, especially league wise. Though Pep's and Klopp's arrival reduced others chances really, Conte's Chelsea still remain last team that won PL that is not City or Liverpool.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
You have to suspect the Kounde deal is oven ready but still leaves the issue of Silva and Cesar
Well Silva despite having a one year extension will be 37 so he wont be playing every week. Cesar i edited my post to say i think a final stint in Spain is probably going to happen.

Its a huge couple of windows coming up. Squad could do with tearing up tbh. If i had to make a list right now of who can go in the summer it'd be Alonso, Barkley, CHO, Werner dependant on size of bid, Ziyech, RLC for a start

Re.Christensen i suspect he was due to renew, but Barca/Dortmund or someone have been in his ear and i reckon he will go Barca

TheReligion

Abusive
Since that CL win in 2012, Chelsea have won 2 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 2 Europa Leagues, 1 Fa Cup and 1 League Cup so far. Before that, in 2003-2012 period, they won 3 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 4 Fa Cups and 2 League Cups. It's a good record in these last 10 years but think Chelsea fans will feel that, after CL win in 2012, they could have done better, especially league wise. Though Pep's and Klopp's arrival reduced others chances really, Conte's Chelsea still remain last team that won PL that is not City or Liverpool.
Liverpool have only won it once by the way

TheReligion

Abusive
Well Silva despite having a one year extension will be 37 so he wont be playing every week. Cesar i edited my post to say i think a final stint in Spain is probably going to happen.

Its a huge couple of windows coming up. Squad could do with tearing up tbh. If i had to make a list right now of who can go in the summer it'd be Alonso, Barkley, CHO, Werner dependant on size of bid, Ziyech, RLC for a start

Re.Christensen i suspect he was due to renew, but Barca/Dortmund or someone have been in his ear and i reckon he will go Barca
I think you’re right. There’s quite a lot that needs doing with the squad and some key decisions that need making.

The Lukaku / Werner issue is one and if they are given any more time or a new, very expensive, CF is brought in. Then you have the other issues you’ve mentioned alongside the defenders.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Since 2010, United and Chelsea have won 2 titles each. Liverpool and Leicester 1 each. City on their way to their 6th, 4 in their last 6. Their dominance is overwhelming.

duffer

Scout
I've felt for a while that City have definitely done Chelsea better than Chelsea have

City are on for their 6th title in the last 10 years this season, Chelsea have 2 in that same period and only 5 PL titles overall since Abramovich came in

Chelsea obviously clean up in the cups very rarely going a season without some kind of trophy but they've never dominated the league like City have.
I wouldn't swap our last 10 years for theirs. Not a chance.

You're right that that've done better in the league of course but football is not just about the league.

TheReligion

Abusive
Since 2010, United and Chelsea have won 2 titles each. Liverpool and Leicester 1 each. City on their way to their 6th, 4 in their last 6. Their dominance is overwhelming.
I know. It was the way the poster made out that Liverpool and City had been dominating which irked me!

BorisManUtd

Of course but raised the bar together with City, they won 97 points or something in that 2018/19 season and still finished 2nd. We finished 2nd twice over last 4 or 5 seasons but almost never looked close to title. Yes, it's been City's dominance since Pep came in only Liverpool looked like a team that could hurt them in PL.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I wouldn't swap our last 10 years for theirs. Not a chance.

You're right that that've done better in the league of course but football is not just about the league.
I know what you mean but the dominance in the league says City fans have had a lot more good days than any other fan has in this period

As a United fan if I were given the choice I'd definitely take City's last 10 years over Chelsea's even if they does mean no UCL's

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Yes and no.

You could argue we've 'done City' better than they have as I bet they'll give up a couple of those titles for our general UCL record let alone the two wins.

We also whether by luck or by design developed a pretty huge worldwide fanbase and became a big name very quickly, something they're still struggling with despite all the titles.

duffer

Scout
I know what you mean but the dominance in the league says City fans have had a lot more good days than any other fan has in this period

As a United fan if I were given the choice I'd definitely take City's last 10 years over Chelsea's even if they does mean no UCL's
More good days but fewer absolutely mental, incredible days.

I honestly don't think I'd swap the 2012 & 2021 champions league wins for 4 more league titles.

Maybe a Man City fan would say the same in reverse but then again, they have no point of reference to what a Champions League win feels like.

BorisManUtd

More good days but fewer absolutely mental, incredible days.

I honestly don't think I'd swap the 2012 & 2021 champions league wins for 4 more league titles.

Maybe a Man City fan would say the same in reverse but then again, they have no point of reference to what a Champions League win feels like.
What's interesting is that you were much more competitive and consistent in Champions League in first 5 or 6 years of Abramovich reign than after that. Reached semis in 2003/04, 2004/05, 2006/07, 2008/09 and final in 2007/08. Since then, you've won it in 2012 and 2021 but other than that, only reached semi-finals in 2013/14.

Think City will win CL sooner or later, possibly before Pep leaves.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Kounde seems to have been on the radar a while. Not sure on de Ligt as Juve would want more than they paid (I’m not sure he’s been that good either has he?).

Rudiger has to be the priority though I agree. You wonder why it’s taking so long though and at what point the club write it off?

Of course they might both sign on but it’s going to the wire for some reason. Usually all done pretty tidy. Not much being said either by all accounts?

I’d say it’s huge yeah. Losing 4 senior starting pros of quality, including the club captain (I think?) would be huge to sort out in the space of a season or two. Especially all defenders!
They're running down because it encourages the club to offer more money and in the current situation it'll probably work.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think you’re right. There’s quite a lot that needs doing with the squad and some key decisions that need making.

The Lukaku / Werner issue is one and if they are given any more time or a new, very expensive, CF is brought in. Then you have the other issues you’ve mentioned alongside the defenders.
On Lukaku and Werner, being brutally honest, I'd keep Lukaku before Timo. Offer £40-50m and id sell Werner.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I think Christensen and Azpi leave. Rudiger stays. Silva has already extended. Chalobah is still around. Colwill returns with huge momentum and well likely sign a defender as mentioned by others, most likely Kounde and one other if Christensen leaves.

It's not an ideal situation, but it's a situation of circumstance. Lampard preferred Silva and Zouma which meant that Christensen and Rudiger grew increasingly frustrated and the club was actually willing to let them both leave towards the end of 2020. That would have been the time to extend, with about 18 months left. We changed coach and suddenly both of those players are back in favour playing every week and it's Zouma who ends up leaving.

So we were busy trying to sell them during the period clubs usually look at extending players. They didn't leave and then turned their Chelsea careers around. That's how we ended up in a situation where all the leverage is with the player.

TheReligion

Abusive
Interesting what Neville said about Rudiger and it applies to Christensen too I guess.

The club almost must act like the player isn’t their player anymore and give them a transfer fee in any new deal. Hadn’t really thought of that before but other clubs will be factoring that into their offers to the players but must be difficult for the owning clubs to get their head around.

Status
Not open for further replies.