Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I have also read that under the new FFP rules going over will just be a fine, also known as a rich team tax. Those changes are supposed to be next season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Swiss Ramble posted something about Chelsea's finances today.

• As it stands, it looks like they will be compliant with the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability regulations, though they will have a few more challenges with UEFA’s FFP, due to the smaller losses allowed. However, even here, the new rules that will be implemented from 2023/24 will allow them more scope.

• Chelsea can improve matters this season with some player sales in this transfer window, but they could also worsen the FFP situation with further purchases (there is much talk about Caicedo and Noni, for example).

• Most importantly, if they fail to qualify for the Champions League, then all bets are off.
Well last point looks certain. No way we are getting CL this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well last point looks certain. No way we are getting CL this season.
Yeah I've pretty much completely given up top 4 this season but, if we results go our way this weekend (as in we beat Liverpool Arsenal beat United and Newcastle drop points at Palace) we could be 7 points off 4th (8 points off 3rd) with 19 games left to play,

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I've pretty much completely given up top 4 this season but, if we results go our way this weekend (as in we beat Liverpool Arsenal beat United and Newcastle drop points at Palace) we could be 7 points off 4th (8 points off 3rd) with 19 games left to play,
Yeah, I've also conceded the fact we'll have no CL footy next season.

Any comeback in the battle for top4 would require us to get the key players (James, Chilwell etc.) back from injury and more importantly stay fit for the remainder of the season, as well as having the newcomers like Felix, Mudryk and Badiashile perform significantly better than the players they'll be replacing in the starting XI.

At this point I would say too many things have to go our way to get back into it but it's not 100% gone yet. Like you said, getting the 3 points against Liverpool on Saturday would be a good start and would give us a glimmer of hope but failing to do that it's basically over.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, I've also conceded the fact we'll have no CL footy next season.

Any comeback in the battle for top4 would require us to get the key players (James, Chilwell etc.) back from injury and more importantly stay fit for the remainder of the season, as well as having the newcomers like Felix, Mudryk and Badiashile perform significantly better than the players they'll be replacing in the starting XI.
Obviously it's mostly about getting finally started playing some cohesive football but on the other hand I think Chilwell and James are already in training? Not saying they're back quick and also immediately helpful but Felix, Mudryk and those two along should help a lot with the problems you have on pitch one would assume. Obviously the competition won't sleep and it could easily be over before a league "comeback" gets any traction. Don't know about the consequences if you fail to secure CL next season but if at the end of this one you play good football on a regular basis and some/most of the newcomers look like good fits that'd be a huge and the most important step into the future and next season.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We are pretty much overhauling the entire squad. Other than FFP consequences, no CL for one year may not be a terrible thing. I mean I want to see us playing CL every year, but it could help a new squad coming together.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The bet is risky. If Chelsea get a united team and have good results Boehly will be a brilliant mind. Now, if Chelsea is a few years without playing in the Champions League he will be considered another American who has no idea what he does.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, that was one little line I handpicked out of a pretty long article :lol:

But yeah, overly simplified stripped of all context and nuance, for FFP purposes spend less = good spend more = bad can sum up the entire article.

It’s an “ok” look, but it is overly simplified, it overlooks how the mechanisms of FFP actually work (like the fact there are hardship allowances if you lose something you had when purchases were made, like CL money). It also ignored the fact that here are different level of breeches and penalties depending on previous offenses etc. it isn’t a one size fits all thing, and since we have no prices would start at financial fines … which we wouldn’t care about.

They are also testing it like the snapshot in time is set in stone ax the outcome. It would like writing a scathing indictment of panic about a heart surgery because they only saw the chest cracked open and blood transfusions were needed; there other steps involved.

There will be outgoings, there will be loan fees incoming for talented youngsters, there will be savings in many areas on payroll.

We are also going to be given hardship leeway for the sanctioned period and the transition of sale, which easily qualified for the exceptional circumstances clause. Only Clearlake know the extent of that, and the rest is speculation

There will also be additional revenue streams. They don’t need the money, but it will be ways of increasing that cap they can show as spends.

We would attract too much attention coming out and lump sum triggering something like Enzo’s clause (but we still might), but that is more them trying to play nice and fit in.

Point being there are a ton of factors involved that aren’t being considered by people trying to examine this situation; especially if they have an anti-Chelsea aim to begin with.

Simon Jordan, btw, was one of the first to notice that were are dramatically reducing the year over year depreciation on individual players as it relates to their fees. Nobody else had even noticed this.

For Chelsea fans: understand, they will look at the WHOLE squad at every level in terms of resetting the base. They would love for players to take that step forward like Lewis Hall, or like Colwill is doing on loan. But if they needed to switch out the entire rest of the team over a two year period, then so be it: not because they WANT to, but because there is a standard and vision moving forward and the people that want to remain at the club need to fit with those plans.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The bet is risky. If Chelsea get a united team and have good results Boehly will be a brilliant mind. Now, if Chelsea is a few years without playing in the Champions League he will be considered another American who has no idea what he does.
Boehly is restructuring the football side, restructuring the club’s management side, planning stadium renovations and putting the ground work together for a long term multi club project. Short to mid term this is going to be chaotic there’s no denying that. If he pulls it off then we won’t just be a cup side.

It’s common for people outside of Chelsea to say he has no idea what he is doing, even the “experts” in the media are guilty of it. Yet everyone he has had dealings with since buying the club have come out and said the complete opposite.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
They are also testing it like the snapshot in time is set in stone ax the outcome. It would like writing a scathing indictment of panic about a heart surgery because they only saw the chest cracked open and blood transfusions were needed; there other steps involved.

There will be outgoings, there will be loan fees incoming for talented youngsters, there will be savings in many areas on payroll.

Point being there are a ton of factors involved that aren’t being considered by people trying to examine this situation; especially if they have an anti-Chelsea aim to begin with.

Simon Jordan, btw, was one of the first to notice that were are dramatically reducing the year over year depreciation on individual players as it relates to their fees. Nobody else had even noticed this.

For Chelsea fans: understand, they will look at the WHOLE squad at every level in terms of resetting the base. They would love for players to take that step forward like Lewis Hall, or like Colwill is doing on loan. But if they needed to switch out the entire rest of the team over a two year period, then so be it: not because they WANT to, but because there is a standard and vision moving forward and the people that want to remain at the club need to fit with those plans.
I agree on several things here with you.

Now, it would be nice if you had analyzed all those factors in the case of Barcelona before putting all those catastrophic comments.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Boehly is restructuring the football side, restructuring the club’s management side, planning stadium renovations and putting the ground work together for a long term multi club project. Short to mid term this is going to be chaotic there’s no denying that. If he pulls it off then we won’t just be a cup side.

It’s common for people outside of Chelsea to say he has no idea what he is doing, even the “experts” in the media are guilty of it. Yet everyone he has had dealings with since buying the club have come out and said the complete opposite.
Is there any forecast of when the stadium will be renovated and how much will it be worth?.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously it's mostly about getting finally started playing some cohesive football but on the other hand I think Chilwell and James are already in training? Not saying they're back quick and also immediately helpful but Felix, Mudryk and those two along should help a lot with the problems you have on pitch one would assume. Obviously the competition won't sleep and it could easily be over before a league "comeback" gets any traction. Don't know about the consequences if you fail to secure CL next season but if at the end of this one you play good football on a regular basis and some/most of the newcomers look like good fits that'd be a huge and the most important step into the future and next season.
Yeah both James and Chilwell have been pictured back in training. After the Liverpool game we'll have a couple weeks off due to being out of the FA Cup so hopefully that will be enough to get them back in the lineup. Unless he's suffered any further setbacks that haven't been reported I believe Fofana should be returning sometime soon too. But yeah just having these players back won't be enough, we also need to find a way to actually keep them fit and available.

But yeah I agree that even if (or rather when) we don't actually get CL football for next year the key is to start building towards next season and see if this team can finally start finding some form under Potter's leadership. So far it's been an impossible job for him with all the injuries and only getting some reinforcements from the market in this January but we'll need to start seeing some progress soon or I really fear for him.

Signed Madueke.

up to 40m euros
Feck, I was hoping after Mudryk (even though they play on opposite wings) we'd not go for this guy again. Seems like a good signing for the Injury XI, which has already been better than the actually available XI this season.

With a seemingly incompetent medical department the absolute last thing we need is another injury prone player which is exactly what this guy is. I haven't even bothered to look if he's any good because his injury record is already a massive red flag and I'm very much against this signing. Oh well, let's hope he can overcome his problems.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
The feck?

To anyone with even the most basic level knowledge about FFP stuff and/or football club accounting in general that was very, very obvious from day one of the new ownership that them handing out longer than usual contracts to the new signings had most of all everything to do with lowering the annual amortisation cost of each player. I don't even know what Simon Jordan has supposedly said and when, but he certainly wasn't the only one to notice. :lol: :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Feck, I was hoping after Mudryk (even though they play on opposite wings) we'd not go for this guy again. Seems like a good signing for the Injury XI, which has already been better than the actually available XI this season.

With a seemingly incompetent medical department the absolute last thing we need is another injury prone player which is exactly what this guy is. I haven't even bothered to look if he's any good because his injury record is already a massive red flag and I'm very much against this signing. Oh well, let's hope he can overcome his problems.
If he can stay healthy, he also counts as homegrown.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
If he can stay healthy, he also counts as homegrown.
Considering the guy's record, and also our club's medical team and their recent failures, don't you think him staying healthy is a bit too optimistic?

That's his injury history from the last two years alone:
- 7 separate injuries
- 53 games missed
- 269 days out injured

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Swiss Ramble posted something about Chelsea's finances today.

• As it stands, it looks like they will be compliant with the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability regulations, though they will have a few more challenges with UEFA’s FFP, due to the smaller losses allowed. However, even here, the new rules that will be implemented from 2023/24 will allow them more scope.

• Chelsea can improve matters this season with some player sales in this transfer window, but they could also worsen the FFP situation with further purchases (there is much talk about Caicedo and Noni, for example).

• Most importantly, if they fail to qualify for the Champions League, then all bets are off.
Basically, Boehly is spending big now but will be limited from future spending because they are taking up future spending space with the way they are structuring deals. In terms of FFP, he is probably thinking he is signing future stars so won't need to spend big later, so if Chelsea goes and gets a couple of no CL seasons and hurts their income and gets them in trouble with FFP, he'll just pay the fine/take the window ban because they did all their business already. Its one thing getting a young star in an American league on a big contract because they're already proven against the same competition. He seems like he is betting that it'll work the same here which isn't the case at all IMO.

Long term club health Chelsea are fine as Abramovich wrote off 1.5bln in debt. So it's just based on ffp fines and bans which might happen if Chelsea go a couple years without CL football which is realistic. But the end result of that is just a fine/transfer window ban for a year pretty much so I don't think he's overly concerned with it.

The problem ultimately will be is if these signings don't click and then it depends on how Boehly wants to run things. Does he see it as a one and done big investment. Or is it a regular every season big investment to toss these aside if they don't work and replace with other big signings.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Be interesting to see how Madueke does. Always a star in FM. Never heard him do all that much for PSV, but injury record is probably the cause of that. Left footed right wingers are rare so he ticks that but we'll see how he does.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Basically, Boehly is spending big now but will be limited from future spending because they are taking up future spending space with the way they are structuring deals. In terms of FFP, he is probably thinking he is signing future stars so won't need to spend big later, so if Chelsea goes and gets a couple of no CL seasons and hurts their income and gets them in trouble with FFP, he'll just pay the fine/take the window ban because they did all their business already. .
That's part of it. One of his biggest targets is to increase club revenues and initiate new streams. The multi-club model, for example, is potentially one such indirect stream by leveraging Chelsea's pull to buy these youngsters like Casadei, developing them in a decent league (say France), and then either making a profit or developing a star for Chelsea.

And he's quite confident that he can increase revenues to mitigate any FFP restrictions. We also know that TV revenues are set to increase this year.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Jealous of the aggression in the market even if it is completely scattergun.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Jealous of the aggression in the market even if it is completely scattergun.
It remains to be seen whether this aggression is good or bad. I have to say following Chelsea in this transfer window is exciting and fun. New signing every couple of days.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It remains to be seen whether this aggression is good or bad. I have to say following Chelsea in this transfer window is exciting and fun. New signing every couple of days.
Unfortunately then you need to see them on the pitch and the fun ends? :p

bosskeano

Are Chelsea fielding a second team in the premier league???? I mean what are they going to do with all these players they keep buying

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea fielding a second team in the premier league???? I mean what are they going to do with all these players they keep buying
Auba pulisic and Ziyech will all leave.
Fofana will go on Lon next season I believe is the plan.
Felix will return

Mud/Noni/Sterling are realistically our only wingers
Mount/Havertz inside forwards
Broja/Havertz 9s

Seems like a lot on the surface but it’s not.

CallyRed

Think Chelsea need another 3-4 big money signings. They haven't signed a keeper this window

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
We need a goalkeeper, a right back and a central midfielder.

I’d keep Zakaria but we need someone who can create and score from midfield.

We have a lot of sellable players who will be surplus to requirement.

I can see the following players leave now or in the summer:

Azpi, Mendy, Jorginho, Ziyech, Pulisic, Loftus Cheek and potentially Havertz. Auba will leave too and I find it difficult to see a place for Koulibaly when Fofana returns as Thiago Silva, Fofana and maybe Badiashile will be ahead of him.

Look of new signings but a lot of sellable assets too.

CallyRed

Auba pulisic and Ziyech will all leave.
Fofana will go on Lon next season I believe is the plan.
Felix will return

Mud/Noni/Sterling are realistically our only wingers
Mount/Havertz inside forwards
Broja/Havertz 9s

Seems like a lot on the surface but it’s not.
I suspect you won't get much for the players you want to move on. Clubs know you have to sell, players want to leave.
Fire sell at CFC?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Some of the new Chelsea fans seem really obsessed with Boehly and besotted with the idea that Clearlake have this transformative vision. Can’t remember any other fan base getting so wrapped in their owners in a long while.

NYAS

Many of those players were supposed to leave in the past summer too. They’re still here.

Players rarely nowadays sacrifice their PL wage. If it’s not a contract expiry, it’ll be a loan out while still paying 50% or more of the wages.

Think alot of Chelsea fans will be in for a rude awakening in the summer.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We need a goalkeeper, a right back and a central midfielder.

I’d keep Zakaria but we need someone who can create and score from midfield.

We have a lot of sellable players who will be surplus to requirement.

I can see the following players leave now or in the summer:

Azpi, Mendy, Jorginho, Ziyech, Pulisic, Loftus Cheek and potentially Havertz. Auba will leave too and I find it difficult to see a place for Koulibaly when Fofana returns as Thiago Silva, Fofana and maybe Badiashile will be ahead of him.

Look of new signings but a lot of sellable assets too.
How are you feeling about tomorrow's game? Both clubs are in such a bad place in the league. I'm having trouble seeing a Liverpool win.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Mad spending didnt end well for Barcelona.

Chelsea need to be careful here.

The present sugar rush could be tomorrow's diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.