Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. StrangeHate

I would bet my mortgage that they'll be challenging next season and wouldn't bet against them scraping into the top 4 this season.
I think they will get it. United are paper thin and a lot of the key players have played in the world cup. Newcastle just don't have the quality I feel to sustain what they are doing till the end of the season. Chelsea have two full squads.

LARulz

I think they will get it. United are paper thin and a lot of the key players have played in the world cup. Newcastle just don't have the quality I feel to sustain what they are doing till the end of the season. Chelsea have two full squads.
And on top of that Ten Hag (who I do like so this is not a pop), hardly rotates. Bruno, Casemiro and Rashford are basically playing every game for example. I get they are the most important players but still

We have so many more games it feels than any of our rivals I can see at least one taking advantage

bringbackbebe

Let's say they get 40 points from the remaining 54. That'll take them to 69 points & it's not going to be enough for top 4 this season unless United/Newcastle go on some sort of a free fall. The other way is to win the Champions League, which I won't be surprised, is what this spending is for?

Chelsea/City/United have had great squads on paper before and that means nothing unless its delivered on the pitch.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Let's say they get 40 points from the remaining 54. That'll take them to 69 points & it's not going to be enough for top 4 this season unless United/Newcastle go on some sort of a free fall. The other way is to win the Champions League, which I won't be surprised, is what this spending is for?

Chelsea/City/United have had great squads on paper before and that means nothing unless its delivered on the pitch.
Take into account how difficult our fixtures are and we are looking more at Europa League realistically. Though I can see Newcastle dropping out of the top 4 by the end of the season. They don’t concede but they don’t win enough games. They have a lot of draws.

LARulz

So they also signed some kid from Southampton who was hyped up. Anyone know for how much?

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest Potter cannot be judged when half the team in treatment table. Now he got the backing from our owners its upto him to deliver and keep the job for himself. If not he will be sacked without a doubt.

Now players coming back from injuries with new additions to squad we are not far away from top 4 even this season. Will see. My preferred 11 against Fulham.
Kepa

James Silva badiashile cucu

Gallagher Kovasic

Sterling Mount Mudryk

Havertz
Sterling won't be fit. Felix will start, so most likely Mount or Madueke on the right. James likely won't start.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why did Sterling leave? Was it to be the main man and have less competition?

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
So they also signed some kid from Southampton who was hyped up. Anyone know for how much?
No confirmation yet but wouldn't be much, he would have left on a free in the summer. He's also ex-Cobham so just returning for unfinished business.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Sterling won't be fit. Felix will start, so most likely Mount or Madueke on the right. James likely won't start.
Felix still not finished his three game ban. Ziyech possibility. Madueke also possible. Ziyech/madueke havertz mount mudryk front four.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Why did Sterling leave? Was it to be the main man and have less competition?
Correct, seeing as he was up against Foden and Grealish. I think he'll shine once he's fit. The creativity behind him is completely different compared to the start of the season - Mudryk, Felix and Enzo are a world apart from what came before.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Conclusion
Chelsea will clearly have to be conscious of Financial Fair Play, but their big spending does not automatically mean that they will fall foul of the regulations, especially if they maintain their profitable player trading model (assisted by the accounting treatment of transfers).

As it stands, it looks like they will be compliant with the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability regulations, though they will have a few more challenges with UEFA’s FFP, due to the smaller losses allowed. However, even here, the new rules that will be implemented from 2023/24 will allow them more scope.

Chelsea can improve matters this season with some player sales in this transfer window, but they could also worsen the FFP situation with further purchases (there is much talk about Caicedo and Noni, for example).

Most importantly, if they fail to qualify for the Champions League, then all bets are off.

bringbackbebe

Take into account how difficult our fixtures are and we are looking more at Europa League realistically. Though I can see Newcastle dropping out of the top 4 by the end of the season. They don’t concede but they don’t win enough games. They have a lot of draws.
I don't see you not making Europa league. I'd be really surprised if you finish lower than 65 points with the squad you have tbh. You haven't been leaking goals, but you haven't been scoring much or even creating chances. This is something Mudryk or Fernandez should address immediately.

Tyler Dibling. He's back in Southampton.

lysglimt

Scout
If United and Newcastle both have a poor second half of the season and only pick up ... say 29 points in 18 matches. They will both end up at 68 points. For Chelsea to reach 68 points, they will have to get 39 points in 18 matches. And they are yet to play Spurs, Arsenal, United and City away.

And despite all their new players, they look nowhere near ready to start winning 3-4 games in a row.

If United and Newcastle win 10 of their remaining 18 matches - Chelsea wont reach top-4

cyberman

And Chelsea will suddenly pick up consistency from where?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They can only add three of their new signings to the CL squad.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
They can only add three of their new signings to the CL squad.
Yeah. Feel like it will be Enzo, Mudryk and Felix added with Badiashile and Madueke missing out.

If Badiashile can't play in the CL we just got to hope Fofana gets fit soon.

Judas

Open to offers
You don’t need much consistency to get that final top 4 place most years. A well timed run of good results often at the back end can be enough. Certainly think Chelsea could somehow sneak is much more likely than say Liverpool doing it.

cyberman

You predicting the opposite if history is anything to go by.
I’ve constantly been correct about Chelsea. So there’s that.
Didn’t think you’d be 10th so maybe you have a point
While I agree the title is a long shot we actually have a lot of goals through the team despite the lack of a standout one.

Last season was our third highest goal haul in PL history and only Sarr out of our regular outfielders didn't score at some point.
Talk about predicting the opposite..

remember our arguments about Tuchel? Good times..good times indeed

DavyJones

Supports
Chelsea
They have no chance for top 4 this season.

Also yeah some promising players. But also a lot of unproven players, or inconsistent players, and you never know how players settle in together. Enzo is more of an 8 than a 6, though Kovacic and him would probably be a good partnership, but I doubt Potter uses them like that. Potter also his quality as a coach is fully unknown. Their attack is severely lacking quality. Sure, Mudryk has potential (but is a complete unknown quality and his analytics profile for what he did in the Ukrainian league was stupidly inconsistent and underwhelming). You never know how players settle, but that side also just lacks goals. Mudryk has 12 goals in his career. Havertz isn't much of a scorer. Felix is more of a creator. Sterling is past it. Their defenders are questionable defensively bar Silva, who is 37. Also always injured like James and Fofana. questionable keeper.

They've spent 600m and their team is stupidly underwhelming for that much money. And with a very questionable manager, which is ultimately the hardest part to get right and the part that will make the difference. So I'm giving them no chance this season and nothing more than an outside shot next season, as I don't think they'll be a better team than United, City or Arsenal, and Liverpool I'd expect a big improvement as well next season. Chelsea are in the next tier. Also with all this spending - clubs will put in an extra shift vs them now just to stick it to them IMO. New most hated team due to the spending.
Why does all this read like some salt filled wishful oppo rambling instead of a thought out, insightful opinion?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The weird thing for me is everyone saying Chelsea now have an unreal squad. I'm still not too sure they do at the moment, although in 12-24 months I'd say they should look much stronger as players develop.

Their 2 stand out buys are Mudryk and Fernández both of whom are inexperienced at the top level. Mudryk has a handful of CL games and Fernández 6 months at Benfica, plus his excellent world cup. Its not a certainty they hit the ground running and actually much more likely they take some time to find their feet as they adjust to the leaguenand the demands it will put on them.

What is looking like their strongest 11?

Kepa
James Silva Badiashile Chilwell
Fernández Kovacic
? Mount Mudryk
Sterling

I don't feel that's any stronger than most other clubs pushing for top 4 and they are starting from way back this season.

EDIT: Just realised they signed Felix on loan eo probably Mount/Havertz from the right and Felix at AM?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We would obviously want them to absolutely crush and burn after all the money they spend. But it will be interesting to see how they fare as the money thrown is really unprecedented and quite absurd.

With opinions going from one extreme to the other, my guess is they will hit some middle ground where they will be mostly top 4 regulars with maybe occasional challenges now and then instead of being some dominating side. Pretty much the Chelsea of old.
As for this season, they have more chance of winning CL than reaching the top 4 as that has to include a serious dropoff from one of the candidates. One thing is certain, and that is that they didn't make Potter's life any easier with all this. I mean, you just have to look at today's talk about the top 4 challenge to see that. He is a shooting duck at this point unless the board can see past this season. Many players (Havertz, Ziyech, Mount, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Azpi, Koulibaly...) will not be there next season or their role could be massively limited. That is too many players who hang around the training ground but won't be there next season to have a healthy atmosphere. The turnaround is so massive with so many questions that it is simply hard to think about the long term at the moment while most of the team and buyings are built for long-term success.

So, a bit of improvement in the league and I wouldn't discard good CL showing. As I mentioned and despite all the changes the Chelsea of old.

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah. Feel like it will be Enzo, Mudryk and Felix added with Badiashile and Madueke missing out.

If Badiashile can't play in the CL we just got to hope Fofana gets fit soon.
Isn’t Enzo cup tied through playing for Benfica in the competition?

Irrational.

Chelsea have an awful lot riding on CL qualification… really hope they don’t make it.

Anyway, their transfer activity reminds me of this sketch from Harry Enfield:

Delano

4000 players on the books and only Aubameyang can score a goal.

Infra-red

So, did they fix their main problems during this window?
Their main problem is not scoring enough goals and they haven't signed a striker, so no. Their defence is top 4 standard, but 12 teams have scored more Premier League goals than them this season.

I like Potter, but I'm not convinced he knows how to coach an attack.

Infra-red

What happened with the Ziyech deal?
Chelsea repeatedly filed the wrong paperwork and then only filed the correct paperwork too late for the deal to go through. PSG are appealing to the relevant authorities to see if the deal can still get through, but it looks to have collapsed.

Bloody fax machines, eh?

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest Potter cannot be judged when half the team in treatment table. Now he got the backing from our owners its upto him to deliver and keep the job for himself. If not he will be sacked without a doubt.

Now players coming back from injuries with new additions to squad we are not far away from top 4 even this season. Will see. My preferred 11 against Fulham.
Kepa

James Silva badiashile cucu

Gallagher Kovasic

Sterling Mount Mudryk

Havertz
Why Mount and Sterling?
They have been awful...really awful, not even trying

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why does all this read like some salt filled wishful oppo rambling instead of a thought out, insightful opinion?
It's not though... You don't have a striker (or any goalscorer), goalkeepers are meh, centerbacks are unknown qualities barring a 37 year old, tons of injury prone players and Mudryk is an unknown quality (people declaring him a success because of a 15 minute cameo where he had a couple of nice touches... He was 100m. Remember martial? Long way to go to prove himself). It's 600m spent on a lot of guaranteed flops first, and then a lot of projects. Projects never develop as well as you want if the squad isn't settled and there isn't a set system to bed them into.

Also you're 10 points off and you've won 2 of your past 11 league games. Is this form magically going to change into title winning form to get into top 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.