Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't disagree with much of that. Only thing I'd say is Madueke's ball retention was encouraging for the most part - but he still looks like he's playing tentatively.

Mudryk is suffering from Cucurella being so shit. Badiashile as well is having to do a lot to cover and has been mightily impressive I'd say - but yes he's definitely benefiting from Silva's ability to organise a defense.
It's not a problem for Badiashlie really other than Thiago being at the edge of a cliff really. Obviously won't last too much longer, and he's more just unknown but it's fine next to Thiago Silva.

Madueke is definitely a long term project, it was a weird signing as it's not like he had settled into being class for PSV... He was a young project there still, who had loads of injuries. So of course will take time at Chelsea. Mudryk I think is a similar case. The huge fee confused people into thinking he's ready, when in reality many analytics folk were saying that Mudryks stats in the Ukrainian league were that of a very inconsistent, sloppy player. Huge amount of turnovers, not much other than the threat in behind and he's only got like what, 12 goals in his career? Rashford has more since the world Cup! He's a project that may or may not work out, but the fee is a must work out fee. Antony's fee is the same, though Antony's current level was far higher than Mudryks IMO (something that the analytics folk back too). You'd have been better off spending that amount for Leao.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's not a problem for Badiashlie really other than Thiago being at the edge of a cliff really. Obviously won't last too much longer, and he's more just unknown but it's fine next to Thiago Silva.

Madueke is definitely a long term project, it was a weird signing as it's not like he had settled into being class for PSV... He was a young project there still, who had loads of injuries. So of course will take time at Chelsea. Mudryk I think is a similar case. The huge fee confused people into thinking he's ready, when in reality many analytics folk were saying that Mudryks stats in the Ukrainian league were that of a very inconsistent, sloppy player. Huge amount of turnovers, not much other than the threat in behind and he's only got like what, 12 goals in his career? Rashford has more since the world Cup! He's a project that may or may not work out, but the fee is a must work out fee. Antony's fee is the same, though Antony's current level was far higher than Mudryks IMO (something that the analytics folk back too). You'd have been better off spending that amount for Leao.
Yeah I think the hope for Madueke is that he'll settle fairly quickly being from London. He and Mudryk profile similarly as high volume dribblers who shoot and create at high volumes - but both do tend to be sloppy in possession & buildup sometimes.

I haven't seen any of those analytical pieces about Mudryk (and would be keen to if you have a link handy) - based on what I'd read and seen, most people considered him to be an elite dribbler, creator, and goal threat. I'm honestly not worried about him given what he's shown so far - some of his passing today was absolutely excellent (e.g. the ball to Havertz for the second offside goal, the first time through-ball from wide left into Cucurella, etc). He's definitely a high-risk / high-reward player though.

Definitely agree that Leao would have been a better purchase - but there's no chance we could have gotten him for £62m.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Don't disagree with much of that. Only thing I'd say is Madueke's ball retention was encouraging for the most part - but he still looks like he's playing tentatively.

Mudryk is suffering from Cucurella being so shit. Badiashile as well is having to do a lot to cover and has been mightily impressive I'd say - but yes he's definitely benefiting from Silva's ability to organise a defense.
Badiashile has been fecking amazing. Undersells it massively to just say he’s been decent. I felt sorry for Mudryk because so many times during the game I saw him calling for the ball, a quick switch to leave him 1v1 but the ball never came. Enzo, James and RLC, even Silva at times could unleashed him but they almost always picked the safe short option instead. Cucurella always coming inside was infuriating to watch as well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah Antony beating Mudryk is most metrics is true.

bosnian_red

Yeah I think the hope for Madueke is that he'll settle fairly quickly being from London. He and Mudryk profile similarly as high volume dribblers who shoot and create at high volumes - but both do tend to be sloppy in possession & buildup sometimes.

I haven't seen any of those analytical pieces about Mudryk (and would be keen to if you have a link handy) - based on what I'd read and seen, most people considered him to be an elite dribbler, creator, and goal threat. I'm honestly not worried about him given what he's shown so far - some of his passing today was absolutely excellent (e.g. the ball to Havertz for the second offside goal, the first time through-ball from wide left into Cucurella, etc). He's definitely a high-risk / high-reward player though.

Definitely agree that Leao would have been a better purchase - but there's no chance we could have gotten him for £62m.
Wasn't articles, more the twitter accounts. This was an arsenal fan who wasn't keen on him for a while before Chelsea got involved, comparing to Antony based on CL performances.
Though fbref data isn't as good anymore for the one above. This one below is statsbomb (Ted Knutson their CEO is an arsenal fan as well, wasn't keen on him before Chelsea bought him).
Basically has potential to be a goalscorer and a creator and obviously has pace, but his game is so raw and sloppy and inconsistent otherwise. That's not the radar of a player who has dominated the Ukrainian league.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not sure Madueke is better than say Hudson-Odoi. Mudryk looks promising but the fee was crazy and really not sure he makes the first team with everyone fit. Enzo and Badiashile have done well so far.

Still seems crazy to have no kind of striker in the team. James and Chilwell coming back could make a big difference though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure Madueke is better than say Hudson-Odoi. Mudryk looks promising but the fee was crazy and really not sure he makes the first team with everyone fit. Enzo and Badiashile have done well so far.

Still seems crazy to have no kind of striker in the team. James and Chilwell coming back could make a big difference though.
I would say he isn’t either.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't articles, more the twitter accounts. This was an arsenal fan who wasn't keen on him for a while before Chelsea got involved, comparing to Antony based on CL performances.
Though fbref data isn't as good anymore for the one above. This one below is statsbomb (Ted Knutson their CEO is an arsenal fan as well, wasn't keen on him before Chelsea bought him).
Basically has potential to be a goalscorer and a creator and obviously has pace, but his game is so raw and sloppy and inconsistent otherwise. That's not the radar of a player who has dominated the Ukrainian league.
Thank you for linking! Interesting to say the least. Sample size issues obviously but definitely illuminating.

bosnian_red

Thank you for linking! Interesting to say the least. Sample size issues obviously but definitely illuminating.
Yeah hard to take much out of the CL ones, Ajax dominated their group so Antony's stats are padded while Shakhtar were fighting to get 3rd. The league ones from statsbomb just point more to he's very raw, and will take time to get there if he ever does. But if you're sloppy in the Ukrainian league, you can be sure they'll struggle in the Prem initially.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah hard to take much out of the CL ones, Ajax dominated their group so Antony's stats are padded while Shakhtar were fighting to get 3rd. The league ones from statsbomb just point more to he's very raw, and will take time to get there if he ever does. But if you're sloppy in the Ukrainian league, you can be sure they'll struggle in the Prem initially.
Yeah fully agreed. Saw an interesting analysis that he does well when he has a fullback who is comfortable at responding to Mudryk's positioning and making complementary runs either inside or outside - so perhaps he'll be able to form a relationship with Chilwell. Cucurella almost never underlaps - when he's inside he almost always stays at the edge of the box, so Chilwell being a much more dynamic player in the final third could help unlock him.

Still though - I'm personally pretty encouraged from what we've seen from Mudryk so far. As you say he's definitely a work in progress - but the raw talent has shone through enough where I think he can grow.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He also won the player of the tournament. Smart move to sign him for a small fee before this tournament. His valuation has probably doubled or more after this.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He also won the player of the tournament. Smart move to sign him for a small fee before this tournament. His valuation has probably doubled or more after this.

Having looked at some of his touch compilations from the U20 tournament he does seem a bit raw but it's also possible that's got something to do with the overall level of the game there and he'd look more comfortable when surrounded by better and more experienced players.

An interesting prospect for sure but I doubt he'll get to play much in the short term. Probably the plan is to have him train around the first team squad for now to assess his level and maybe think about a loan spell for next season if he looks like he still needs some more experience to get to the required level.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Having looked at some of his touch compilations from the U20 tournament he does seem a bit raw but it's also possible that's got something to do with the overall level of the game there and he'd look more comfortable when surrounded by better and more experienced players.

An interesting prospect for sure but I doubt he'll get to play much in the short term. Probably the plan is to have him train around the first team squad for now to assess his level and maybe think about a loan spell for next season if he looks like he still needs some more experience to get to the required level.
I can't say I have seen much of the kid. I caught a U20 game the other night and he looked quite polished. But yeah of course, he's only 18 so not expected to walk into the Chelsea squad but at the same time, if we're punting the season now, no better time than to give him minutes and experience than now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Thought they looked really good for the first 25 minutes then gradually faded and looked toothless.

4 wins in 17 games I think I saw.

Oof.
Dating back to Sarri we've collapsed after a setback.

I remember in that 4-0 Bournemouth game and we were actually brilliant in the first half but one goal from them and we folded.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Dating back to Sarri we've collapsed after a setback.

I remember in that 4-0 Bournemouth game and we were actually brilliant in the first half but one goal from them and we folded.
We never replaced the leaders in our side. We have missed a Ballack for some time. Was never captain but was always ready to hold players accountable for their performances and on the field showed desire and passion. A lot of our players just go through the motions and then go and mess around with the opponents after a shit performance.

cyberman

Le Parisien] Info Le Parisien. Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has met with Nasser Al-Khelaïfi on Tuesday in Paris to discuss, in particular, the case of Neymar and the conditions for his potential arrival in the Premier League next summer.

If I were Potter I’d walk right now. There’s no way he’s been consulted about fecking Neymar , someone else who doesn’t play as a striker

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Better angle

Reminds me of the way refs approach us when assigned our games.

People are assuming a LOT about Clearlake and Chelsea. On the Parisian: if they have Boehly as the first one to approach, then their info is simply VERY outdated or flat wrong. I’m sure Paris would LOVE for us to take Neymar; it isn’t happening.

For the purposes of clickbait and agents trying to pad feed, we have been attached to like 150 players.

We may not go with a “traditional striker”

We MAY go in that direction if there was the right talent that fit the way we play.

But right now if I were a betting man, and Madueke continues to play well, with Sterling also playing in well from right or left, I’d wager on a 4231 with Felix playing behind Nkunku centrally, but the two rotating in and out as to who comes short, whose making which run… basically giving them a lot of freedom as a “two up top”.

They are conducting the Felix negotiations actively everyday, with Mendes and Felix pushing very hard.

And Everyone seems to forget we are getting Nkunku. And no, Nkunku doesn’t prefer to play out wide. He does like to pick the ball up deeper to drive centrally, but a lot of that “where” he picks the ball up is a factor of the people he’s playing with and the shape they are using.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Potter mentioned a few weeks ago that Cucurella was going through something in his personal life and that the club were trying to help him through it. Seems like this might have been it.

DavidDeSchmikes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64704536

"A head injury to Cesar Azpilicueta in Saturday's match adds another name to Chelsea's lengthy injury list, which includes Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly, N'Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic, Christian Pulisic, Wesley Fofana, Edouard Mendy, Denis Zakaria and Armando Broja."

The problem is Sterling, Koulibaly, Kovacic, and Fofana all played, and Zakaria was on the bench

Anustart89

Anustart89

Is there any FA probe into Mudryk’s singing of the n-word? Just wondering considering Cavani’s ban… They seemed very adamant to clamp down on all things that might be racist and/or offensive back then.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is there any FA probe into Mudryk’s singing of the n-word? Just wondering considering Cavani’s ban… They seemed very adamant to clamp down on all things that might be racist and/or offensive back then.
It seems to have gone weirdly quiet on that front

Member 125398

Fodos filho da puta... 3 match ban for Evra.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Given how bad we've been this season, I don't understand how Chelsea can be 4 points behind with us having a game in hand. They must be unspeakably poor.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Given how bad we've been this season, I don't understand how Chelsea can be 4 points behind with us having a game in hand. They must be unspeakably poor.
What was it they said Potter had, 4 wins from 21 games? So yeah, I'd class that as being very poor for them.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What was it they said Potter had, 4 wins from 21 games? So yeah, I'd class that as being very poor for them.
Oh wow. How much it do we reckon is chelsea being a poisoned chalice in one of their customary holiday seasons and how much Potter being wholly out of his depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.