Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A lot of decent defenders can get on ok in a back three. He was decent, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think he was ever a great player, and was probably lucky to be at Chelsea.

Liverpool won the CL with Djimi Traore. It’s all about hiding those weaknesses and getting him to play a specific role. He needed that, whereas you could have put Terry in any defensive role in any team and he would have been great
Terry when he played high line under AWB he looked very uncomfortable. That's probably the only time he played in high line. Next season Jose was back to Chelsea and played with deep line and Terry was great again.

Terry was ofcourse awesome CB but I don't agree with "play him anywhere" part.

Yeah, maybe Cahil wasn't a great player but it was a great deal for Chelsea. Signed for just 7 million, played big role in lot of trophies. That was very good return on what they paid.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Terry when he played high line under AWB he looked very uncomfortable. That's probably the only time he played in high line. Next season Jose was back to Chelsea and played with deep line and Terry was great again.

Terry was ofcourse awesome CB but I don't agree with "play him anywhere" part.

Yeah, maybe Cahil wasn't a great player but it was a great deal for Chelsea. Signed for just 7 million, played big role in lot of trophies. That was very good return on what they paid.
He was already into his thirties and being asked to do that role for the first time under a young and naive coach, but yeah, I get your point, maybe not a super high line for big JT.

Agree on the price too, for 7 million he was a decent option. I was just questioning people perhaps overrating him because of the team he played in. I just don’t feel he was ever a top CB, but he did play a role and won trophies.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yep, Cahill for £7M was one of the most value-for-money deals Chelsea have made in the last decade or so. Only behind Azpilicueta I'd say.

While he clearly wasn't world class, Cahill did what was asked of him and he did it well. He made an instant impact playing a big role in the UCL win in his first few months at the club, not to mention being a +30 game starting player in two league title wins inside the first five years as well. Replace Cahill with some objectively 'better' CB and I don't think Chelsea would've won any more trophies during his time at the club. For managers like Mourinho and Conte he was a very good fit for how they wanted their teams to play and defend.

Reactions: roonster09

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku was an absolutely awful deal and I have no idea how Werner’s agent finessed 270k a week out of Chelsea. Sterling is a massive deal but also what can you do, if you wanna sign him and he’s already on 300k, then best case scenario he’s coming in on that wage, but most likely he will want an increase. This one does have the potential to turn into a big problem in a couple of seasons though, if/when Sterling declines and he still has 2-3 years left on that contract.

James is still on his first contract he signed when he broke through in 2020. He and Mount are absolutely due a new and improved contract. Same with Mendy. Big difference between signing a relatively unknown keeper from Rennes and high profile players from CL clubs.
I can forgive the Werner deal because on paper he should have worked (and did to a certain degree especially in TT's first 6 months) but Lukaku was unforgivable, it was so obvious he was a disastrous misfit in this system and i don't think even a 30 goal haul would have offset what we lost in general play with him in the side.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Cahill was decent. A consistent 7.5 player. My only issue with him was his last ditch tackles was one of his strongest traits but he shouldn’t have had to make as many as he did, which was also his greatest flaw.
That was 100% my big issue with him too. People used to rave about his amazing last ditch tackling, but he was at fault for getting into those positions where they were necessary in the first place. Great servant to the club, and an amazing piece of business considering the cost, but I was never a huge fan.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That was 100% my big issue with him too. People used to rave about his amazing last ditch tackling, but he was at fault for getting into those positions where they were necessary in the first place. Great servant to the club, and an amazing piece of business considering the cost, but I was never a huge fan.
He was signed as a squad player but circumstances (Luiz and Jose not meshing, us taking a while to get with the ball playing CB times and lack of quality CB's on the market) led to him getting a starting place.

He wouldn't have got near Jose 1.0's, Carlo's double or Tuchel's UCL winning sides as a starter.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He was signed as a squad player but circumstances (Luiz and Jose not meshing, us taking a while to get with the ball playing CB times and lack of quality CB's on the market) led to him getting a starting place.

He wouldn't have got near Jose 1.0's, Carlo's double or Tuchel's UCL winning sides as a starter.
Let’s be fair to Gary. How many CBs in English football history could make Jose 1.0 team? There’s a reason our records that year are never getting beaten.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Let’s be fair to Gary. How many CBs in English football history could make Jose 1.0 team? There’s a reason our records that year are never getting beaten.
15 league goals conceded all season was simply outrageous.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
It’s lovely to see us kicking into gear with wingers and CB’s but it’s a bit worrying that we haven’t heard much of anything about some cover for our fullbacks.

I couldn’t stomach another extended stint of Azpi or Alonso getting destroyed defensively (in Alonso’s case) or not be able to do anything going forward (in Azpi’s case).

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Thought he was highly rated?
He is with us on tour. We lost two cbs and having ageing Silva. Colwill 19 yr old kid only. Will go on loan may be but won't be sold in my opinion.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

He’s going to end up at a CL club within 3 seasons if Chelsea let him go. I said the same with Guehi. I hope this isn’t true. Losing this guy for sake of Ake or Kimpempe would be the height of stupidity.

GlasgowCeltic

That small window while Lampard was boss was really the only hope for the young players, shame it was well timed for Reece James

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
:lol: Couldn't make it up. We will buy back one of Guehi or Tomori in 2 years and buy back Levi a few years later.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

He is. But with possibly 3 CB to arrive, he wasn't going to be the 4th option was he? He'd still be behind Silva, Trev and even Reece James; and after a successful loan spell, why would he want to come back and have 2 or 3 mins here and there against lower oppo, or weaker, in carabao cup. It may even be that the player himself will want to move on

Long term Colwill would be ideal, id have still loaned him out again regardless, but he still only has one year of senior football under his belt. He is not of the level of the reported incomings. So I can see both points of view

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That small window while Lampard was boss was really the only hope for the young players, shame it was well timed for Reece James
I mean Gallagher is set to have a big role in the team next season. Chalobah was added to the team last season. We don’t know yet what ends up happening with Broja but Tuchel likes him and said he wants to assess him himself.

Still though, this Colwill thing really stings, especially after we saw how quickly Guehi showed he was ready.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Wow, surprised at the Colwill thing if true. I'm there's was even a remote chance Chelsea would sell to us without a buy back I'd be all over that since we are out of the running for Martinez.

Chelsea wouldn't be that silly to sell to us mind you, it will be a mid table placed team with some sort of buyback.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Makes no sense to me. Fecking hell, the club never seem to learn from past mistakes.

Silva, Koulibaly, Chalobah, one of Aké/Kimpembe and Colwill IMO would be more than enough at CB for Tuchel's three at the back system. That way the youngster would still get plenty enough minutes to stay happy and keep developing but it seems Tuchel wants to sign both Aké AND Kimpembe who will no doubt cost a total of 100+ million and one of them will just end up being a backup anyway.

If Colwill is sold, just watch him become a 60M+ rated player within a couple of years and Chelsea again being after new CBs when Silva eventually retires and maybe one of Ake/Kimpembe proves to be not good enough. Could easily see Colwill tearing up the league at Leicester for example.

If it happens, Tuchel has blood on his hands.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If true, it’s a disaster. I still think it won’t happen but there is no shortage of takers.
I'm a little bit more hopeful after this tweet.

I wasn't too bothered with Tomori and Guehi as I don't really see what so many do (they're good and I'm happy they're doing well but I don't see elite level in either) Colwill however will be indefensible and for the first time I'll be questioning TT's long term suitability.

Next season my expectations was consolidate top 4, have a good UCL campaign and hopefully win one of the cups. If Colwill leaves and Kimpembe comes in then I revise my expectations to a sustained challenge for the big two (ie title race and UCL semi minimum requirement).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Next season my expectations was consolidate top 4, have a good UCL campaign and hopefully win one of the cups. If Colwill leaves and Kimpembe comes in then I revise my expectations to a sustained challenge for the big two (ie title race and UCL semi minimum requirement).
You think Kimpembe is that much of a difference maker?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Losing Rudiger, Christensen and Sliva being a year older and getting in Kimpembe, Ake and Koulibally is about par I think.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Losing Rudiger, Christensen and Sliva being a year older and getting in Kimpembe, Ake and Koulibally is about par I think.
Id say that on paper the 3 CB are now stronger/upgraded overall... IF Kimpembe happens, of course

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I'm a little bit more hopeful after this tweet.

I wasn't too bothered with Tomori and Guehi as I don't really see what so many do (they're good and I'm happy they're doing well but I don't see elite level in either) Colwill however will be indefensible and for the first time I'll be questioning TT's long term suitability.

I liked Tomori, could see there was a top Cb in there. Guehi i rate too, but i think he is around his level with Palace. He is the one of those 2 who i think is a tad overhyped [as many do with a lot of our academy boys, tbf]

Colwill though, definitely another loan only! Waste of time keeping him around the squad this coming season after a season of regular games. But as i said in another thread, clubs just arent going to turn down 20m for Colwill and the like, after a single senior campaign of football. I think Romano may have jumped the gun a little, and i hope he got confused between loan and sale

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Id say that on paper the 3 CB are now stronger/upgraded overall... IF Kimpembe happens, of course
Possibly, not by a great deal though.

You're also relying on the two players new to the PL hitting the ground running and integrating into the side.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
We're almost deffo losing Azpi as well. Maybe not his best season ever last year but he's a huge loss.
Not his best season is a pretty big understatement, sadly. He’s past it. He was always unbelievable defensively so it made up for his lackluster attacking quality. But for the past year he also can’t stay in front of people defensively. He is easy pickings for quick, skillful players out wide.

He’ll be greatly missed off the pitch for sure and he’s a genuine legend but it’s not a loss on the pitch.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You think Kimpembe is that much of a difference maker?
Tuchel clearly does so if he's going to let go an elite prospect to bring him then it has to be backed up with hard results.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He’ll be greatly missed off the pitch for sure and he’s a genuine legend but it’s not a loss on the pitch.
I really think his leadership will be missed on the pitch as well. One of the things I like about Koulibaly is that he seems to be cut from a similar cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.