Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tuchel clearly does so if he's going to let go an elite prospect to bring him then it has to be backed up with hard results.
Kimpembe is wank. I loved seeing him on the teamsheet when we used to play them.

Got a bit annoyed when City did though, him and his partners were a shit show that game too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Tuchel clearly does so if he's going to let go an elite prospect to bring him then it has to be backed up with hard results.
OK, seems an oddly specific line to draw but fair enough!

As for "Tuchel clearly does", where are you getting that from? What has he said about signing him for Chelsea? Please tell me you're not making all these statements based off of a tweet from Romano.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm a little bit more hopeful after this tweet.

I wasn't too bothered with Tomori and Guehi as I don't really see what so many do (they're good and I'm happy they're doing well but I don't see elite level in either) Colwill however will be indefensible and for the first time I'll be questioning TT's long term suitability.

Next season my expectations was consolidate top 4, have a good UCL campaign and hopefully win one of the cups. If Colwill leaves and Kimpembe comes in then I revise my expectations to a sustained challenge for the big two (ie title race and UCL semi minimum requirement).
You think Kimpembe is that much of a difference maker?

Is Kimpembe THAT good? Seems odd PSG are happy to let him go if so.

Id probably agree with @Berbaclass that Ake, Kimpembe and Koulibaly are about equal with Rudiger, Christensen, Azpilicueta.

It doesn’t scream title charge or huge upgrade and I’d still say Rudiger is the best of the lot?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Kimpembe is wank. I loved seeing him on the teamsheet when we used to play them.

Got a bit annoyed when City did though, him and his partners were a shit show that game too.
I agree, Kimpembe always looks a little suspect to me maybe even made to look better than he is by Marquinhos

In a back 3 though he'll get even more protection than he does at PSG so could work. He's clearly got talent but then the same could had been said about Titus Bramble at times :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I agree, Kimpembe always looks a little suspect to me maybe even made to look better than he is by Marquinhos

In a back 3 though he'll get even more protection than he does at PSG so could work. He's clearly got talent but then the same could had been said about Titus Bramble at times :lol:
Didn't he play in a back 3 under Tuchel? I forget

duffer

Scout

Id probably agree with @Berbaclass that Ake, Kimpembe and Koulibaly are about equal with Rudiger, Christensen, Azpilicueta.

It doesn’t scream title charge or huge upgrade and I’d still say Rudiger is the best of the lot?
I have no idea about Kimpembe, at all. Tuchel knows him so that's a plus.

As for an upgrade, maybe not but losing Rudiger & Christensen wasn't the clubs choice. The new owners are doing damage control rather than dumping players and replacing them.

Who could we get that is better than Rudi? De Ligt isn't interested. Christensen won't really be a miss in all honesty, all things considered.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Him and Ake together will be a calamity. Can't wait to see it. Koulibaly's going to have his work cut out covering for those two wasters.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think @Dancfc was suggesting Kimpembe to be THAT good, only that he must be able to deliver results if signing him means the Tuchel and the club are sacrificing the academy's brightest talent to get him.

If, or rather when, signing Kimpembe won't make us contenders what's the point of even doing the deal? Might as well save the money, give Colwill the place in the team as rotational CB option and still very likely finish top 4 anyway.

Pressure is all on Tuchel if he decides to go through with it.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

I think people who don’t watch Chelsea often enough don’t realize a few things.

1) Andreas Christensen wasn’t/isn‘t that good. He was solid but nothing more. And he was constantly injured and calling out sick. Even Chalobah pretty comfortably stood in for him without us losing much at all. And if anything he may be better.

2) Azpi is past it. He has been a shadow of his former self for a while now.

3) I think people are forgetting just how massive of a difference having James & Chilwell back is.

So yes, replacing Rüdiger could be difficult but the others we’re getting significant upgrades on. Add in Sterling who is a giant upgrade on Werner or Pulisic and another forward of some sort and there no reason to think we won’t push the top 2.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

1) Andreas Christensen wasn’t/isn‘t that good. He was solid but nothing more. And he was constantly injured and calling out sick. Even Chalobah pretty comfortably stood in for him without us losing much at all. And if anything he may be better.

3) I think people are forgetting just how massive of a difference having James & Chilwell back is.

So yes, replacing Rüdiger could be difficult but the others we’re getting significant upgrades on. Add in Sterling who is a giant upgrade on Werner or Pulisic and another forward of some sort and there no reason to think we won’t push the top 2.
We are going for title mate. I am coming into optimistic zone from pessimistic zone. We have lot of reasons to get 15 more points from last season tally. And that will be enough for title in my opinion.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We are going for title mate. I am coming into optimistic zone from pessimistic zone. We have lot of reasons to get 15 more points from last season tally. And that will be enough for title in my opinion.
Good luck with that :lol:

duffer

Scout
@duffer when you doing your prediction thread?

Probably in a couple of weeks. I did think about it the other day but still too early, especially with you lot (and us lot) not nearly being done in the market.

Also doing it the day after you battered Liverpool would get some bonkers predictions!

Mcking

What's going on with Azpilicueta at Chelsea? I mean his contract situation. He was giving me Gary Neville retirement vibes with some embarrassing performances last season, and I couldn't even bear to watch at times. Honestly think be should call it a day.

Didn't have a clue that Chelsea were being linked to Koulibaly until I saw a tweet now that he is in London for medical. I think he'd make a very good Rudiger replacement.

What is the consensus on Chalobah's chances for next season? Was impressed with how he performed in many games last season, and see him as a player that could easily make 500 appearances for Chelsea.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
It's up to Tuchel?
Well yes, isn't it? Hasn't it been been very publicly reported that under the new ownership Tuchel pretty much currently has the final say on any incoming and outgoing transfers?

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Boehly or anyone else from the board is going over Tuchel's head about this and forcing the signing of Kimpembe, one of Tuchel's ex-players if I might add. The idea to sign both him and Aké is entirely of Tuchel's own making and as a result Colwill's mind is pretty much made up for him. With both Ake and Kimpembe signed, he basically becomes the 'break glass in case of emergency' option and would likely play only the early domestic cup rounds so he's obviously not going to stick around where he's not appreciated.

Chelsea and Tuchel would probably want to send Colwill out on a PL loan perhaps to one of the newly promoted sides to gain some league experience and then look at the situation again next summer before making any permanent decisions. However if you're Colwill and you have plenty of decent clubs willing to offer you a permanent deal and a route to immediate PL football in the same path as the likes of Lamptey, Guehi and Livramento did after leaving Chelsea, why wouldn't he want that for himself too?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Just look into the rumours kimpembe,koulibally and ake all preferred to play left sided center back role. Have no clue why tuchel want all three of them. Koulibally can play central role as well but chalobah only right cb option and Reece.:angel:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm a little bit more hopeful after this tweet.

I wasn't too bothered with Tomori and Guehi as I don't really see what so many do (they're good and I'm happy they're doing well but I don't see elite level in either) Colwill however will be indefensible and for the first time I'll be questioning TT's long term suitability.

Next season my expectations was consolidate top 4, have a good UCL campaign and hopefully win one of the cups. If Colwill leaves and Kimpembe comes in then I revise my expectations to a sustained challenge for the big two (ie title race and UCL semi minimum requirement).
I was less high on Tomori when he left than I was on Guehi and look at how well Tomori has developed with consistent playing time. Guehi is a CL level player right now, never mind what he could develop into. I don’t think anyone is out here thinking he’s the next Van Dijk but selling homegrown CL level talent on the cheap is a bad move to begin with. Guehi is a better prospect than AC and Tuchel turned AC into a top class CB.

Some may say I overrate our academy players, and maybe, whatever, it still makes zero sense to let them go and replace them with comparable players who cost way more than what you’re selling the guy you already have for. Both Tomori and Guehi are comparable, if not outright better than Ake but those two combined were sold for about the price it will take to buy Ake back, so make sense of that.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
What's going on with Azpilicueta at Chelsea? I mean his contract situation. He was giving me Gary Neville retirement vibes with some embarrassing performances last season, and I couldn't even bear to watch at times. Honestly think be should call it a day.

Didn't have a clue that Chelsea were being linked to Koulibaly until I saw a tweet now that he is in London for medical. I think he'd make a very good Rudiger replacement.

What is the consensus on Chalobah's chances for next season? Was impressed with how he performed in many games last season, and see him as a player that could easily make 500 appearances for Chelsea.
Azpi wants to go to Barca and Barca wants him. But until we secure all of our defensive targets I think we’re keeping him around.

Best for all parties if he goes.

duffer

Scout
Chelsea and Tuchel would probably want to send Colwill out on a PL loan perhaps to one of the newly promoted sides to gain some league experience and then look at the situation again next summer before making any permanent decisions. However if you're Colwill and you have plenty of decent clubs willing to offer you a permanent deal and a route to immediate PL football in the same path as the likes of Lamptey, Guehi and Livramento did after leaving Chelsea, why wouldn't he want that for himself too?
Because perhaps he wants to play for Chelsea rather than Palace, Brighton or Southampton?

Chalobah played his way into the first team squad last season. Gallagher seems to have done it with his loan. Will Ampadu, Broja or Gilmour? Maybe, maybe not. They seem to at least want to try.

If (and I mean) Colwill doesn't want to try then that's up to him but its not far off of ridiculous to suggest there's no route to a chance in this Chelsea side. He's 19, there's no rush.

duffer

Scout
Some may say I overrate our academy players, and maybe, whatever, it still makes zero sense to let them go and replace them with comparable players who cost way more than what you’re selling the guy you already have for. Both Tomori and Guehi are comparable, if not outright better than Ake but those two combined were sold for about the price it will take to buy Ake back, so make sense of that.
Should the new owners refuse to buy players the old owners sold, just because it looks dumb?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I was less high on Tomori when he left than I was on Guehi and look at how well Tomori has developed with consistent playing time. Guehi is a CL level player right now, never mind what he could develop into. I don’t think anyone is out here thinking he’s the next Van Dijk but selling homegrown CL level talent on the cheap is a bad move to begin with. Guehi is a better prospect than AC and Tuchel turned AC into a top class CB.

Zouma was sold because of his inability to play ball from back.

Tomori have issue with Lampard and sold.

Guehi want first team football when we were fresh from cl win. Did you want tuchel to rip that backline just to convince the kid.

Colwill in preseason tour. Tuchel will definitely look at him in person. So we will see.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Should the new owners refuse to buy players the old owners sold, just because it looks dumb?
That feels like a cop out question. The owners can do what they want. I’m saying what has led to this situation - buying Ake back for the price we sold not one but two comparable players combined - is very dumb.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Zouma was sold because of his inability to play ball from back.

Tomori have issue with Lampard and sold.

Guehi want first team football when we were fresh from cl win. Did you want tuchel to rip that backline just to convince the kid.

Colwill in preseason tour. Tuchel will definitely look at him in person. So we will see.
The idea that Guehi was demanding to start over Rudiger, Silva and AC needs to die. It’s the same thing people keep regurgitating again and again.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think @Dancfc was suggesting Kimpembe to be THAT good, only that he must be able to deliver results if signing him means the Tuchel and the club are sacrificing the academy's brightest talent to get him.

If, or rather when, signing Kimpembe won't make us contenders what's the point of even doing the deal? Might as well save the money, give Colwill the place in the team as rotational CB option and still very likely finish top 4 anyway.

Pressure is all on Tuchel if he decides to go through with it.
Ahh okay that makes sense now I’ve read it back.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The idea that Guehi was demanding to start over Rudiger, Silva and AC needs to die. It’s the same thing people keep regurgitating again and again.
He didn't sign contract extension because he don't want loan. One year left for him to go for free so club cashed in. What better tuchel could have done.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Honestly I watched Guehi 15-20 times at Swansea and I'd be lying if I said I saw that level a player. Maybe it was oversight on my behalf or maybe I happened to see the majority of his lesser games but I didn't see 'it' like I do with Colwill.

Also there was the contract situation aswell, I'm not saying he was demanding to start every game but I would have been intrigued to see what would have convinced him to resign, maybe if he did pre season he would have won that last spot over Trevoh.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
From TT interview since Sterling signed, published hour or so ago; he has said he will not rule out another striker coming in, but wants to sort the defence first, once the defence is sorted, we will see what else is possible. He wants to continue to bring players in, who are top quality with top character, so that means the very very best.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
From TT interview since Sterling signed he has not ruled out another striker coming in but wants to sort the defence first, once the defence is sorted, we will see what else we can do. He wants to continue to bring players in, who are the very very top level
If ziyech goes one right winger. If Werner goes may be one striker but no quality options available till now.

Vapor trail

Kimpembe would be a concern for me, I thought when Presnel started more regularly he was in excellent form from what I recall but he doesn't seem confident when in isolation with an attacker. I think the back 3 could change this, people should never underestimate the drastic difference from a defensive pairing to a trio. It's also the only thing giving Maguire an England career.

TheReligion

Abusive
From TT interview since Sterling signed, published hour or so ago; he has said he will not rule out another striker coming in, but wants to sort the defence first, once the defence is sorted, we will see what else is possible. He wants to continue to bring players in, who are top quality with top character, so that means the very very best.
Ake Kimpembe and Koulibaly are the very very best?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Surprised that they are in for Kimpembe because I always feel that he has a mistake in him and is extremely rash at times (although he seems to be getting more composed with age) but maybe Tuchel knows more about him than I do (quite likely).

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Kimpbebe might need to sort out the character of his brother before he joins.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is Colwill likely to feature? Or will he follow Tomori and Guehi in being clearly talented enough to play for the club but for some reason ends up elsewhere?
Damn. That’s 3 in 2 years? Crazy.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Damn. That’s 3 in 2 years? Crazy.
I don’t like us selling a lot of young players on the cheap BUT sometimes you have no choice. We lost two RB’s in Livramento and Lamptey who could easily have been first team players purely because we were stacked in that position with Reece James. They both wanted to leave too as they could see that they weren’t better than Reece.

Cb is another matter, Tomori I’m not as fussed about, he wasn’t in my eyes what we needed and was often prone to mistakes. Guehi was the better player, we should have invested time in him at the expense of Christensen in hindsight.

If we keep Colwill and give him 15 games this season with a view to him taking Thiago Silvas slot next season I’d be happy. If he doesn’t cut the mustard then sell him

Status
Not open for further replies.