Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Every big club in need of a top CB would probably fancy Koulibaly. But we were probably the only ones willing to pay him 300k a week at age 31.

I know he’d been linked to Barca and PSG recently.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
"We are still a huge attraction to top football stars around the world – there is no doubt about that. I hope [fans] will see the direction we’re heading in with the new manager, coaching staff and players, and a commitment to do what it takes to get back to the top.

"We are willing to invest. There is no fixed budget. Financially, we are extremely strong and funds are available. Louis is assessing what’s going on and there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes, so watch this space."

Our financial position allows us to do things in the transfer market that most other clubs cannot do.

"I don’t want to see players going to other clubs in Spain, I want us to stand out as the best club in the world."

Ed Woodward 2015.

Well good luck with that, because it seems a bit like "let's sign the big name players at any price" at the moment.
Seems a bit of a lazy comparison especially now given we've totally ruled out going after the biggest 'disney' signing imagineable because he doesn't fit Tuchel's system. Every other player we've been linked with does.

If we suddenly went after a totally different style of player on deadline day paying more than what said players release clause was a month prior then you maybe onto something.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Not really big names but more targetting "big clubs" players so they're big names by association. Not meant as a diss but it feels like lazy scouting.
It's been said by Matt Law that Tuchel wanted to sign Nathan Aké when he was the Dortmund manager (2015-2017). He's obviously not going after him just because he plays for Man City who are currently the team to beat, he's been following the player for a long time now.

Tuchel also coached Presnel Kimpembe at PSG for more than 2 years and almost 100 games so clearly he has some idea what he's going to get from him and how he'd fit into his plans.

Now I'm not saying I think they'd make for a great signings, I'm just saying you're clearly talking out of your arse as to why they're being targeted.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It was said before the transfer window that Tuchel would decide the players he wants this window. I don’t think Boehly wants to be this involved and he clearly wants a quality sporting director to handle transfers. He is playing the hand he was dealt with buying a club just before the transfer opened. He is probably over paying, but when you have no experience with the process, it is bound to happen. After all the things that were reported to have happened with Buck, Marina, and the marketing team, it was a great move to get all of them out of the club.

crossy1686

career ending
Seems a bit of a lazy comparison especially now given we've totally ruled out going after the biggest 'disney' signing imagineable because he doesn't fit Tuchel's system. Every other player we've been linked with does.

If we suddenly went after a totally different style of player on deadline day paying more than what said players release clause was a month prior then you maybe onto something.
You'd have signed Ronaldo if the deal was right, Lukaku wasn't right for Tuchel's system but he was signed anyway. It's always the system with Tuchel, yet I doubt Thiago Silva, Lukaku, Saul etc were ever brought in to be part of a system, they were available and Chelsea got them.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You'd have signed Ronaldo if the deal was right, Lukaku wasn't right for Tuchel's system but he was signed anyway. It's always the system with Tuchel, yet I doubt Thiago Silva, Lukaku, Saul etc were ever brought in to be part of a system, they were available and Chelsea got them.
You talked about what we got in this window and implied it's Woodward approach then include signings from previous windows done by totally different management for your argument. :lol:

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly showed everyone involved in the Lukaku deal the door.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
None of which happened under this ownership.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Have you been living under a rock these last 4-5 months? Everyone from the Abramovich regime is gone, whatever happened last year under their leadership has zero relevancy anymore.

With no proper sporting leadership in place at the moment, Boehly has currently put all squad decisions in the hands of Thomas Tuchel. This is a totally new direction for the club.

Boehly had a meeting with Mendes where he learned about Ronaldo's willingness to leave United, among other topics discussed. He then proceeded to ask Tuchel about it, Tuchel said no and the whole thing was abandoned before it even started.

crossy1686

career ending
Have you been living under a rock these last 4-5 months? Everyone from the Abramovich regime is gone, whatever happened last year under their leadership has zero relevancy anymore.

With no proper sporting leadership in place at the moment, Boehly has currently put all squad decisions in the hands of Thomas Tuchel. This is a totally new direction for the club.

Boehly had a meeting with Mendes where he learned about Ronaldo's willingness to leave United, among other topics discussed. He then proceeded to ask Tuchel about it, Tuchel said no and the whole thing was abandoned before it even started.
And back to my point, so when Tuchel leaves and you're left with a bunch of 'Tuchel system' players you'll be bang in the middle of a mess United current find themselves in when they decided to take this approach of signing any player the current manager likes on big money then being unable to shift them.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
And back to my point, so when Tuchel leaves and you're left with a bunch of 'Tuchel system' players you'll be bang in the middle of a mess United current find themselves in when they decided to take this approach of signing any player the current manager likes on big money then being unable to shift them.
But why is Tuchel leaving imminently a given? There aren't many clubs he could go to that would be an upgrade for him, and his prior relationships have gone sour when his input into transfers was ignored.

Plus the fact that Boehly et al have stuck with Dave Roberts as manager of the Dodgers despite all his foibles suggests they're unlikely to have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to Tuchel.

I appreciate what you're saying but I do think there's a key difference in supporting a manager blindly once he's appointed and supporting one who has a proven track record of success at the club already - and not to be rude, but I don't think any of the post-SAF managers United have appointed have clearly been among the ~5ish best managers in the world at the time and that's where I'd have Tuchel right now. I also wouldn't necessarily say we're focusing on "Tuchel system" players - Tuchel throughout his career hasn't been a rigid tactician at all. We're only using a 3-4-3 because we don't have a proper defensive midfielder right now - it's a system Tuchel has used due to the personnel available to him, not due to any particular philosophy.

With all that said, I certainly am extremely biased here and perhaps I am being naive.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe if we're silly enough to go from stylistical extreme to the other (like you did LVG to Jose) then think it's a good idea to give our version of Ole three years but again, purely unlikely hypotheticals.

Aslong as we stick to coaches who have roughly similar style's which we have been doing since Sarri (hence Jorgi and Kova specifically signed for Sarriball still here and of vital importance for Tuchel 4 years on) things will be fine.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
So let me get this straight. First you claim the club are just signing players for the sake of it without any sort of plan 'just because they were available' but when you get called out on it and told there has indeed been a change in philosophy and that the transfer targets are carefully picked to suit the needs of the team, that's all of a sudden not a good thing either? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Like @Dancfc pointed out, getting in players who fit Tuchel's system is far from a bad thing as long as his eventual successor is picked so he can mostly just continue his work where TT leaves off instead of needing yet another tactical overhaul. Tuchel is a very modern coach so it's not exactly difficult to imagine that players who fit his system to also be well suited for other managers as well who prefer to play a possession-based game with high-intensity pressing.

And who's to say when Tuchel will be gone anyway? The way he speaks makes it seem he's very passionate about the project at Chelsea so as long as everything is going fine, there's no need for him to leave. I also doubt the new leadership regime are going to be as trigger happy as Roman & Marina were so without a failure of massive proportions it's not like he's getting sacked anytime soon either.

To maximize the chances of competing for the big trophies both in the short and medium term, it can only be a good thing the higher ups fully back the manager and buy the kind of players he wants. That is exactly what Klopp and Guardiola have at their respective clubs, and that's the level where Chelsea are aiming to be within a couple of years at the very latest.

Vapor trail

It was said before the transfer window that Tuchel would decide the players he wants this window. I don’t think Boehly wants to be this involved and he clearly wants a quality sporting director to handle transfers. He is playing the hand he was dealt with buying a club just before the transfer opened. He is probably over paying, but when you have no experience with the process, it is bound to happen. After all the things that were reported to have happened with Buck, Marina, and the marketing team, it was a great move to get all of them out of the club.
Think this post is the best hope for Chelsea. Because if in 36 months the club have the same structure with Boehly spearheading everything the club will regress significantly.

I think the best approach is a DOF having a slightly higher percentage of responsibility than the coach in influencing player purchases (of course with both complying with one another). If things go south and Tuchel gets the sack for example, then it's wasted resources and finances for the next manager that deems those purchases surplus. This has been a fundamental issue with United over the last ten years it creates what I call the revolving door transition process. This should be a concern for any Chelsea fan if things stay the same.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
The new era…

… of Chelsea Pensioners

Goodbye young gems, welcome to the retirement castle you old fossils.
I’m sure you’re joking here but I see a lot of people who genuinely think this.

But we’ll still have lots of young players with key roles or will at least get a hell of a lot of minutes. Mount, James, Gallagher, Chalobah, CHO, Broja. All 23 or younger.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Think this post is the best hope for Chelsea. Because if in 36 months the club have the same structure with Boehly spearheading everything the club will regress significantly.

I think the best approach is a DOF having a slightly higher percentage of responsibility than the coach in influencing player purchases (of course with both complying with one another). If things go south and Tuchel gets the sack for example, then it's wasted resources and finances for the next manager that deems those purchases surplus. This has been a fundamental issue with United over the last ten years it creates what I call the revolving door transition process. This should be a concern for any Chelsea fan if things stay the same.
That's only a problem if you go for different stylistical managers. You went from an compact underdog manager to a possession based one to a low block one to well i don't even know what to the so called daddy of gegenpress now back to trying a possession based manager. That's been your biggest issue post Fergie.

Since Sarri we've appointed managers with similar base principles, hence how Jorgi and Kova who were specifically signed for Sarriball are still crucial players under Tuchel 4 years later.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Ake not happening yet.

Good news. Will hopefully prevent us from doing something incredibly dumb like selling Colwill.

Sign Kimpembe and keep Colwill.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sucks for him as I know he wanted to return to Chelsea, but this is definitely great news. It literally made zero sense to pay £50m for him.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Looks like we are losing a talented youngster to you guys as well.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Koulibaly has been talked about for years as one of the best CB’s in the world but no one has been willing to pay the daft money Napoli have been asking. Kimpembe is PSG’s best CB and on a daft salary, he’s a big name. These are FIFA ultimate team players.

Im saying this as someone who would prefer Chelsea to break up City and Liverpools title runs, but this looks like United circa Woodward years to me
In what planet is Kimpembe the best cb at PSG?

Good god, you’re clueless.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Every big club in need of a top CB would probably fancy Koulibaly. But we were probably the only ones willing to pay him 300k a week at age 31.

I know he’d been linked to Barca and PSG recently.
I think Fabriano gets Gross and Net mixed up, I’ve seen it a lot with his posts. I don’t believe for a second we’re paying Koulibably €10m Net. That amounts to around £300k a week. We barely offered Rudiger £200k.

What’s more likely is Koulibably is earning £163k a week

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I think Fabriano gets Gross and Net mixed up, I’ve seen it a lot with his posts. I don’t believe for a second we’re paying Koulibably €10m Net. That amounts to around £300k a week. We barely offered Rudiger £200k.

Koulibaly was already on a lot of money at Napoli though. If I'm not mistaken his wage there was €6M per year net.

Seeing as this deal will be the last big contract of his career it's fair to say he's probably looking for a big pay day. I'm not saying Romano's figure is definitely true but it's probably in the ballpark.

Also worth noting that the contract offer to Rüdiger was made by Marina who's no longer at the club. Now everyone knows Chelsea are/were in desperate need of CBs this summer so that definitely plays a part in any negotiations for replacements.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Koulibaly isn't going to take paycut to join Chelsea. He is already earning more than that.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I haven’t watched much of any of the 3 potential incomings but I find it hilarious that Rudiger value has trebled since he left. He is a great defender but people talk about him like he was in the tier with peak vidic, Rio, Terry and Carvalho. He wasn’t and is very much replaceable.

It’ll be interesting to see how a brand new defense can manage together though. Definitely age wise, it’s a short term fix and that’s why I cannot see Colwill leaving permanently but the club has done mad business before.
Noticed that myself. 6 months ago if the question was asked to majority of this forum would they want Utd to sign Rudiger or KK. I'm willing to bet the latter had got most votes.

I loved Rudiger, and would have wanted him to stay, but im of the opinion that overall KK is better.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
“We need some centre-backs, at least two to replace Andreas and Toni. We have Azpi at the moment in our squad and we plan with him, but there are talks going on. We will be very open with you, so that makes it three."

Seems 3 is certainly the number of CB wanted, dependant on Azpi who looks off

TheReligion

Abusive

Widely reported as 320k per week

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'd have had him back too. He's a good CB. Give it a few days and youll probably read that we now want Kimpembe and Kounde again
If we are signing 3 CBs, Kounde and one of Ake/Kimpempe makes way more sense than Ake and Kimpempe.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If we are signing 3 CBs, Kounde and one of Ake/Kimpempe makes way more sense than Ake and Kimpempe.
Reading Tuchels interview just now it certainly seems 3 is what he wants. Im almost sick to death of the Kounde rumour mind you. I think there may be a name appear out of left field too. Kimpembe is the one out of the 3 who may prove difficult to get

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like we are losing a talented youngster to you guys as well.

Know nothing about him. Was he one of your gems, like Patino, or just a regular kid in the academy?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Reading Tuchels interview just now it certainly seems 3 is what he wants. Im almost sick to death of the Kounde rumour mind you. I think there may be a name appear out of left field too. Kimpembe is the one out of the 3 who may prove difficult to get
I can understand the 3 CBs if one of them is going to replace AC/Azpi. That would be Kounde or someone completely new. Ake and Kimpempe both play on the left side of a back 3 and it seemed a bit overkill to sign both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.