Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrers

Supports
Chelsea
So you agree his post was idiotic
not at all, the majority of his post is fair and offers a realistic assessment of the clubs aspirations for this season.

he did put your nose out of joint with a cheap dig at Utd’s transfer policy so I can see how that may upset you.

As others have said I’m certain that majority of clubs get rejected by players for a variety of reasons, prestige , salary , champions league participation are just some of them.

I’m still hoping we sign an out and out striker to complement the squad but I’ve got a feeling we will probably just end up with another defender.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Ten Hag is going to race for the PL title. The 4-0 was just the prologue.
He will be lucky to catch Conte and Arteta for 4th. Pre-season is pre-season. Conte is going to be tough this year. Arteta will be Arteta. Nobody really knows what Man Utd will be?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Pretty silly for anyone to be making predictions before any club has finished their business.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
25m bid in from West Ham for Broja. Thatll tempt the board. It's about his value

TheReligion

Abusive
not at all, the majority of his post is fair and offers a realistic assessment of the clubs aspirations for this season.

he did put your nose out of joint with a cheap dig at Utd’s transfer policy so I can see how that may upset you.

As others have said I’m certain that majority of clubs get rejected by players for a variety of reasons, prestige , salary , champions league participation are just some of them.

I’m still hoping we sign an out and out striker to complement the squad but I’ve got a feeling we will probably just end up with another defender.
Oh yes I was talking about the part about United he childishly added. It was ridiculous given Chelsea have been rejected by every man and his dog this summer so far whilst United haven’t actually (yet) been rejected by anyone.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I mean Chelsea clearly wanted Dembele and De Ligt but neither wanted them, wasn’t just Raphina
Raphina doesn’t like to actually receive his paychecks. Cant really help a masochist with his fetishes.

Bayern for De Ligt? I totally get that and he fits them better.

Dembele doesn’t have any knees left, everyone knows it. We have constantly said we didn’t offer, and Barca constantly kept leaking that we would hand them 45m cuz they … hope so? And hope they could talk Boehly into it? Idk.

Koulibaly could give 3 more excellent years at least in my estimation. We traded a player with bone on bone knee issues around the same age (Rudiger) for a healthy player generally rated much higher. If we add another quality defender or two and one of the midfield targets we are eyeing ….

To go along with Sterling, possibly another attacking option, andall of our young players coming into their own …. We could be really good next year.

Good enough to challenge City? Probably not, but then feck, who is?

One thing I am tired of is the need for all the exorbitant buybacks though. If I read a story two years from now about how we need to go all in on a super high rated defender named Levi Colwill I … will probably laugh before crying.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Hopefully we'll not be linked to him every transfer window now...

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Oh yes I was talking about the part about United he childishly added. It was ridiculous given Chelsea have been rejected by every man and his dog this summer so far whilst United haven’t actually (yet) been rejected by anyone.
Timber?.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Does feel like that Koulibaly deal was done one heck of a sight quicker than anything we're doing... whether he's a bit old for a four-year deal is another matter

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Good business so far, one more CB ? Or we use academy?

Who we get as sporting director and how they work with Tuchel important going forward.

Having Tuchel doing both the old fashioned way leads to less conflicts for sure...

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We've lost Rudi, Christensen and will lose Azpi. They can't be replaced by just KK and Colwill. We need at least 1 more reasonably experienced defender.
All depends what formation Tuchel will use really. There was reports he wanted to go to a back 4 but with no actual sources. I suspect we will stay with a back 3 though which is why we are trying to sign a left footed defender.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
All depends what formation Tuchel will use really. There was reports he wanted to go to a back 4 but with no actual sources. I suspect we will stay with a back 3 though which is why we are trying to sign a left footed defender.
Also Silva can't go on forever. You'd imagine his gametime might be "managed" a bit more this season.

Ollie Derbyshire

If a back 4 will it be Silva and Koulibaly? Silva would get caught out there surely after a few games.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Agree with this. As long as we haven‘t got a solid DM we won‘t see the back four on a regular basis IMO.

I‘m a bit concerned about our wing-backs though. No decent back-up rumors and if there‘s one thing to be learned from last season that we are extremely vulnerable on that position. Also one more reason not to plan with James as a back-up RCB because he‘s our most important player with nobody atm to manage his minutes (given that Azpi leaves us but even if he‘d stay it‘d be a worry). And who knows how fast Ben really is up to speed again. Hopefully it‘s as if he‘d never left of course.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Caught out with what? He's still faster than the likes of John Terry ever was and I don't remember it ever really being an issue in a back 4.
Yet another thing that people who don’t watch us every match assume. People think that just because Thiago is 37 he’s an immobile statue.

He’s still extremely athletic and plenty quick. Not that he ever has to show it much because his positioning and intelligence are world class and he rarely makes mistakes.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I feel like we will be stuck with Emerson for LWB. For all this talk of Italian clubs wanting Emerson, they never put in decent offers. Alonso is sadly past his best and should just leave.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yet another thing that people who don’t watch us every match assume. People think that just because Thiago is 37 he’s an immobile statue.

He’s still extremely athletic and plenty quick. Not that he ever has to show it much because his positioning and intelligence are world class and he rarely makes mistakes.
Gotta be honest though: I‘m super confident with him in a back three but not sure I would want to see him in plenty of direct 1v1 duels within a high backline of a back four. Jorgi‘s too slow to help out in that set up as well and that would also equal imo that James would have to play much more conservatively which would be a disgrace.

That said: a four-at-the-back without Thiago (James - Trev or even Kounde - Koulibaly - Chilwell) seems totally fine.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Gotta be honest though: I‘m super confident with him in a back three but not sure I would want to see him in plenty of direct 1v1 duels within a high backline of a back four. Jorgi‘s too slow to help out in that set up as well and that would also equal imo that James would have to play much more conservatively which would be a disgrace.

That said: a four-at-the-back without Thiago (James - Trev or even Kounde - Koulibaly - Chilwell) seems totally fine.
I agree that I wouldn’t want to see him in a back 4 every week but I don’t think it would be too much of a problem every once in a while.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
We have been rejected a lot, it happens.

Just like you’re desperate to sign a player clinging onto the hope he doesn’t get transferred to Man Utd from Barcelona and your best player is desperate to leave.

TheReligion

Abusive
We have been rejected a lot, it happens.

Just like you’re desperate to sign a player clinging onto the hope he doesn’t get transferred to Man Utd from Barcelona and your best player is desperate to leave.
I mean you’re not that daft that you don’t know there’s a bit more to the De Jong saga than that.. are you? :nervous:

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
We wouldn’t guarantee first team football but if you want to include him then sure. As I say the comment from @SirReginald was childish and silly given Chelsea have been rejected by multiple players this summer. I’ll add Lewandowski to the list.
I will add him then, thanks.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not rated higher than Patino, but Arsenal fans are a bit disappointed to lose him. He's a talented wide player, although I'm not sure he'd be a stand out in your academy.

He's probably seen Arsenal fail in a bid for Raphinha and maybe more importantly sign the young boy Marquinos who is a similar age and see any potential pathway blocked.
Nice thanks. Speaking to some Arsenal fans it sounds like he was regarded as second best talent after Patino.

Anyway I’m claiming him as a Cobham product now. He was here at age 8 and then back at 18? One of our own :wenger: :D

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I mean you’re not that daft that you don’t know there’s a bit more to the De Jong saga than that.. are you? :nervous:
Just like there's a bit more to the likes of Raphinha, Lewandowski etc. as well.

It's well known that Barca have been whispering to their ears all year and agreed personal terms with both players months ago already. Both Raphinha and Lewandowski have been planning to go there way before Chelsea ever showed their interest and back then Chelsea couldn't even get involved because of the sanctions so Barca were always going to have a massive head start. When someone's mind is that clearly made up, it can be very difficult to convince them otherwise.

Chelsea decided to try anyway and just couldn't do it, no shame in that. And no shame in losing out on a player to one of the Spanish big two anyway, sometimes it just happens when you're shopping for the highest rated players out there. It's happened to you lot in the past and will continue to happen to most clubs at certain points. Never really understood the need for some people to have constant cock measuring contests on who's the bigger club but whatever floats your boat, mate.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just like there's a bit more to the likes of Raphinha, Lewandowski etc. as well.

It's well known that Barca have been whispering to their ears all year and agreed personal terms with both players months ago already. Both Raphinha and Lewandowski have been planning to go there way before Chelsea ever showed their interest and back then Chelsea couldn't even get involved because of the sanctions so Barca were always going to have a massive head start. When someone's mind is that clearly made up, it can be very difficult to convince them otherwise.

Chelsea decided to try anyway and just couldn't do it, no shame in that. And no shame in losing out on a player to one of the Spanish big two anyway, sometimes it just happens when you're shopping for the highest rated players out there. It's happened to you lot in the past and will continue to happen to most clubs at certain points. Never really understood the need for some people to have constant cock measuring contests on who's the bigger club but whatever floats your boat, mate.
There’s not a bit more though is there? Those deals are nothing like the complexity of what’s going on with De Jong. They just weren’t interested in Chelsea.

Anyway you lot are a fragile bunch.

Numerous blue posters keep throwing in digs about United then appearing in the thread to tag me and dredge it back up. It’s as if any criticism of Chelsea must be met with a counter comparison to United. Truly bizarre. Surely you all post here as you like to hear the opinions of United fans? If you don’t then why bother?

It’s quite endearing in some ways actually!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

He played back 4 in his first six months and was absolutely fine (I know people will say two years older but that's offset with us now being under TT compared to Lampard then).

We also reverted to one against Tottenham in January and he totally kept arguably the leagues best striker completely quiet.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Agree with this. As long as we haven‘t got a solid DM we won‘t see the back four on a regular basis IMO.

I‘m a bit concerned about our wing-backs though. No decent back-up rumors and if there‘s one thing to be learned from last season that we are extremely vulnerable on that position. Also one more reason not to plan with James as a back-up RCB because he‘s our most important player with nobody atm to manage his minutes (given that Azpi leaves us but even if he‘d stay it‘d be a worry). And who knows how fast Ben really is up to speed again. Hopefully it‘s as if he‘d never left of course.
One more CB will arrive but in reference to wingback, there has been talk from Matt Law that a forward minded player who can also be adept at wingback is being looked at, too. I wouldnt be slightest bit surprised if come the end of the window, Adama Traore is signed

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
One more CB will arrive but in reference to wingback, there has been talk from Matt Law that a forward minded player who can also be adept at wingback is being looked at, too. I wouldnt be slightest bit surprised if come the end of the window, Adama Traore is signed
That sounds like it could happen indeed. Not sure how I‘d feel about it but could be worse I guess. Cornet was mentioned as well some time ago I believe.

One more CB with Colwill staying, right? Not counting Azpi who will most likely leave. I somehow doubt we will play with only two CBs on a regular basis as long as Thiago is there (and Rice isn‘t) - in which case I think we should have 5 at min.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I actually wouldn't mind Adama Traore for RWB, I kind of already wanted him last January when James was out for a few months and Wolves were open to loaning him out.

He's obviously a lost cause as far as end product goes but his lightning quick pace and ability to take on players 1v1 could be a decent asset. That is, as long as he gives up the ball to someone else when a break is on and the team enters the final 3rd. :lol:

Adama only has a year left on his deal at Wolves so he could be a available for a decent enough price if no better alternative can be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.