Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Koulibaly isn't going to take paycut to join Chelsea. He is already earning more than that.
He was on around £150k at Napoli from what I can see and he’s now on £162-183k at Chelsea

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Where? I’m seeing £162k-183k quoted everywhere except Romano who has his net and gross messed up
Koulibaly is currently on around 180k a week in Napoli. It seems unlikely that he isn’t getting an increase in wages at Chelsea.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Know nothing about him. Was he one of your gems, like Patino, or just a regular kid in the academy?
Not rated higher than Patino, but Arsenal fans are a bit disappointed to lose him. He's a talented wide player, although I'm not sure he'd be a stand out in your academy.

He's probably seen Arsenal fail in a bid for Raphinha and maybe more importantly sign the young boy Marquinos who is a similar age and see any potential pathway blocked.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
“We need some centre-backs, at least two to replace Andreas and Toni. We have Azpi at the moment in our squad and we plan with him, but there are talks going on. We will be very open with you, so that makes it three."

Seems 3 is certainly the number of CB wanted, dependant on Azpi who looks off
It depends how colwill,ampadu and sarr impress tuchel in pre season. He also wanted chalobah need to improve a lot despite he did well last season.

May be one cb or 2 cb s yet to come depends how tuchel sees fringe players like sarr,ampadu and colwill readiness.

He also clearly stated academy kids need to earn the right to play. We are willing to help them but still it's upto players who wanted the most will get the most.

Last edited:

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
He was on 6 million net, that's much more than 150k per week.
This is my gripe, I might be wrong but I think the net/gross is being used wrong in a few places. 6 million net is nearly 12 million gross in Italy or £230k a week! Are Napoli paying anyone £230k a week?

If we’ve truly stumped up £33m and then £320k a week instead of giving Rudiger £230k a week then that’d be horrendous business

It’s also be a horror show when bringing in two other CB’s and trying to renew James/Mount etc. All our defenders would be on more than our attackers bar Sterling

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is my gripe, I might be wrong but I think the net/gross is being used wrong in a few places. 6 million net is nearly 12 million gross in Italy or £230k a week! Are Napoli paying anyone £230k a week?

If we’ve truly stumped up £33m and then £320k a week instead of giving Rudiger £230k a week then that’d be horrendous business

It’s also be a horror show when bringing in two other CB’s and trying to renew James/Mount etc. All our defenders would be on more than our attackers bar Sterling
Net and gross is very simple, Italians always report wages in net.

Not sure what Rudiger was asking, if it was 250k or something then losing him is a bad business imo. Not sure it's just about money, maybe pull of Madrid is strong too.

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea
Glad Ake isn’t coming back. We can do better.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I think your math is slightly off. At the current exchange rate €6M per year is £5.1M so around £98K/wk net. I don't know the exact tax rate in Italy for footballers earning millions in wages but surely it's not as high as 58% so £230K a week gross pay is clearly too high.

Napoli have the third highest total wage bill of Serie A clubs so them paying €6M a year net after tax to their biggest star man seems quite realistic.

There's been a lot of different reports as to Koulibaly's wage at Chelsea. Romano and Di Marzio were the ones saying €10M net but some others like Pedulla were reporting €8M net + €1M in potential bonuses. The lower figure would be somewhere in the ballpark of £260K a week plus bonuses before tax. And with Romano's figure it's around £320K gross.

It's the age old story that rival fans cherry pick the very highest figures out there and consider it the absolute truth while the fans of the buying club try to cling on to the lower end of reports. The truth is more often than not somewhere in between but without actually seeing the contract there's no way to know the exact wage and how much of it is tied to variable bonuses etc.

In any case Koulibaly's salary will be high but where it lands between £260K-320K is basically anyone's guess.

Replacing out of contract Rüdiger with a player of similar quality was always going to be expensive as hell. Even more so with Christensen also leaving at the same time and everyone smelling their chance to cash in with the knowledge that Chelsea absolutely have to get new CBs in.

Who knows, maybe without the sanctions an agreement could've been found to extend Rüdi's deal but with everything that was going on with the club a few months ago Toni made up his mind to go. In hindsight it was definitely a big mistake by Marina to not extend him in summer of 2021 but too late to whinge about it now. The club and Tuchel just have to make sure they replace him with another great CB and that's where Koulibaly comes in.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
If anyone thinks the owner who knows feck all about European football is the one targeting players they’re deluded.
He knows more about European football than you would think. And he knows how to build some of the best rosters in sports regardless of who he needs to use to do it. Heck, he may provided the starting financial capital for a good number of the sporting agencies the team will have to deal with. This is Todd Boehly, not a Wal Mart heir, or massage parlor family that lucked into ownership circles with a big check.

Doesn't Italy have something akin to a "Beckham Law"? Only 50% of foreign footballers' income is taxed, which would mean that £6m net would be roughly £9m gross for Napoli. So Chelsea would have to pay him £230k to equal his net from Napoli paying him £180k.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I think your math is slightly off. At the current exchange rate €6M per year is £5.1M so around £98K/wk net. I don't know the exact tax rate in Italy for footballers earning millions in wages but surely it's not as high as 58% so £230K a week gross pay is clearly too high.

Napoli have the third highest total wage bill of Serie A clubs so them paying €6M a year net after tax to their biggest star man seems quite realistic.

There's been a lot of different reports as to Koulibaly's wage at Chelsea. Romano and Di Marzio were the ones saying €10M net but some others like Pedulla were reporting €8M net + €1M in potential bonuses. The lower figure would be somewhere in the ballpark of £260K a week plus bonuses before tax. And with Romano's figure it's around £320K gross.

It's the age old story that rival fans cherry pick the very highest figures out there and consider it the absolute truth while the fans of the buying club try to cling on to the lower end of reports. The truth is more often than not somewhere in between but without actually seeing the contract there's no way to know the exact wage and how much of it is tied to variable bonuses etc.

In any case Koulibaly's salary will be high but where it lands between £260K-320K is basically anyone's guess.

Replacing out of contract Rüdiger with a player of similar quality was always going to be expensive as hell. Even more so with Christensen also leaving at the same time and everyone smelling their chance to cash in with the knowledge that Chelsea absolutely have to get new CBs in.

Who knows, maybe without the sanctions an agreement could've been found to extend Rüdi's deal but with everything that was going on with the club a few months ago Toni made up his mind to go. In hindsight it was definitely a big mistake by Marina to not extend him in summer of 2021 but too late to whinge about it now. The club and Tuchel just have to make sure they replace him with another great CB and that's where Koulibaly comes in.
I used a tax calculator online with the Italian tax codes loaded in so the £230k seems correct based on €6m net. Without digging more into Italian income tax I can’t say for sure. Also his Napoli wages are speculation to start with I guess.

If it’s right we’re paying between £260-320k a week along with the £33m I think that’s not particularly good business. Rudiger was rumoured to want £220k pre sanctions. He was open to staying apparently and then we got sanctioned and Madrid came knocking. So we’re now down £33m plus £40-100k a week for a player two years older who isn’t PL proven.

Also those figures for Koulibaly mess the whole wage structure up. Suddenly Mount and James want £400k and players like Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, the two new Cb’s and Havertz etc will all use this as a baseline.

Shinjch

Chelsea supporters here seem to feel quite optimistic about their summer so far. From the outside looking in, it has looked worse than United's to me. And United's hasn't been the most inspiring.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is very refreshing to hear both Boehly and Tuchel talk about how their expanded roles are temporary by necessity.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Doesn't Italy have something akin to a "Beckham Law"? Only 50% of foreign footballers' income is taxed, which would mean that £6m net would be roughly £9m gross for Napoli. So Chelsea would have to pay him £230k to equal his net from Napoli paying him £180k.
Are we talking like this is a lot of money? Boehly deals with the Dodgers and the Lakers … these are all going to seem tiny sums to him. But he’s NOT Ed Woodward… with his “chartered accounting certificate” background. Boehly is a major player: Landon, William and Mary, London School of Economics … all in Finance. I promised he won’t be stumped by salary issues.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea supporters here seem to feel quite optimistic about their summer so far. From the outside looking in, it has looked worse than United's to me. And United's hasn't been the most inspiring.
On what earth are Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly worse signings than Tyrell Malacia?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Christensen was never a key player. Always a lot of potential but never fully realized. He is not difficult to replace. Rudiger was always going to be difficult to replace. K2 is only 15 months older than Rudiger and I hope he has a lot left to give. Sterling to replace Lukaku is a wonderful addition. Sterling is not a number 9, but the way Tuchel want to run the offense does not require a traditional number 9. Havertz will fill that role. So far I am very pleased with what is going on and there is more to come.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I used a tax calculator online with the Italian tax codes loaded in so the £230k seems correct based on €6m net. Without digging more into Italian income tax I can’t say for sure. Also his Napoli wages are speculation to start with I guess.

If it’s right we’re paying between £260-320k a week along with the £33m I think that’s not particularly good business. Rudiger was rumoured to want £220k pre sanctions. He was open to staying apparently and then we got sanctioned and Madrid came knocking. So we’re now down £33m plus £40-100k a week for a player two years older who isn’t PL proven.

Also those figures for Koulibaly mess the whole wage structure up. Suddenly Mount and James want £400k and players like Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, the two new Cb’s and Havertz etc will all use this as a baseline.
That's upto us to increase commercial revenues in one or two seasons. What we know about boehly consortium is simple. Their sports team in mlb one of top paid teams for their stars.

I won't be surprised,they wanted to do the same here also. Because they knew the success brings more revenue. So we will see. Don't need to speculate things this much early in this window.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What do you know about him?
Tricky wide player, can play either side, mostly left footed, an eye for a goal as well.

Was thought quite highly of in our Academy, however would need to see how that translates to senior football as it can easily just go like Reiss Nelson.

The talk a few weeks back was that he was going on loan to Reading, so this is a bit of a surprise. Rumour is he's not the only 1 moving over.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
That's upto us to increase commercial revenues in one or two seasons. What we know about boehly consortium is simple. Their sports team in mlb one of top paid teams for their stars.

I won't be surprised,they wanted to do the same here also. Because they knew the success brings more revenue. So we will see. Don't need to speculate things this much early in this window.
One of the main reasons the pre-season started in L.A. was to get the team around new sponsors and get Boehly’s friends and business partners to be very active with the team to grow the brand. Between flying all over the world to do transfers and being with the team in L.A. to market the team, I don’t know how he sleeps?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tricky wide player, can play either side, mostly left footed, an eye for a goal as well.

Was thought quite highly of in our Academy, however would need to see how that translates to senior football as it can easily just go like Reiss Nelson.

The talk a few weeks back was that he was going on loan to Reading, so this is a bit of a surprise. Rumour is he's not the only 1 moving over.

Thank you

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
A lot of opposition fans seem to think we’ve lost half our starting XI and need a total rebuild or something. Or that we’re going to take a step back this coming season when I think the opposite will be true.

We’ve lost a striker in Lukaku who was an active detriment to the team and we looked much better with him out of the team, we lost a CB in Christensen who was softer than than a puppy and was only ever solid but not great, and Rüdiger who admittedly will be a big miss personality wise. We could now lose Azpi who is long since past his best and Alonso who is a total liability defensively.

So we’ve only lost 1 absolutely key player and will replace him with someone in Koulibaly who is just as good. We will upgrade our left wing with one of the best wide players in the league.

Thus far it’s been a solid window, albeit we’re being very slow.

Shinjch

Christensen was never a key player. Always a lot of potential but never fully realized. He is not difficult to replace. Rudiger was always going to be difficult to replace. K2 is only 15 months older than Rudiger and I hope he has a lot left to give. Sterling to replace Lukaku is a wonderful addition. Sterling is not a number 9, but the way Tuchel want to run the offense does not require a traditional number 9. Havertz will fill that role. So far I am very pleased with what is going on and there is more to come.
Agreed on Sterling as a great signing, he is a very underrated player whose movement will help your attack a lot. Especially if James stays fit to feed balls across to him. I do think you need more options in attack still if you are wanting to push the top two. Lukaku going is no loss, actually a plus even if it is only on loan.
I see Koulibaly as a downgrade on Rudiger, with a significant outlay to do so. Though you are correct that Rudiger is a very difficult player to replace, especially in your system. I know Koulibaly is highly rated, but he is a player who has always let me down when I have watched him. I have never rated Christensen, or considered him a player you could rely upon over a season, but you do seem to lack numbers in defence too. Especially with the talk of Colwill, which I struggle to get my head around. I realise his sale would raise capital in the short term, but in the long term it seems mental to me to even consider selling him, for so many reasons.

I guess what I was really getting at in my post was that I can see that there is a plan with how United are trying to approach the summer (whether that is a success or not is a different matter altogether). Chelsea's approach outside of Sterling seems much less organised, again from the outside looking in.

Last edited:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea supporters here seem to feel quite optimistic about their summer so far. From the outside looking in, it
A lot of opposition fans seem to think we’ve lost half our starting XI and need a total rebuild or something. Or that we’re going to take a step back this coming season when I think the opposite will be true.

We’ve lost a striker in Lukaku who was an active detriment to the team and we looked much better with him out of the team, we lost a CB in Christensen who was softer than than a puppy and was only ever solid but not great, and Rüdiger who admittedly will be a big miss personality wise. We could now lose Azpi who is long since past his best and Alonso who is a total liability defensively.

So we’ve only lost 1 absolutely key player and will replace him with someone in Koulibaly who is just as good. We will upgrade our left wing with one of the best wide players in the league.

This

Shinjch

Who will be your back up wingbacks this season? Will Hudson-Odoi be shoehorned in should one of the starters struggle for fitness again? In such key positions for Chelsea's system is the depth good enough there?

In absolute agreement on Lukaku and Christensen, neither will be missed. Unsure on if Koulibaly is just as good as Rudiger, but you may have seen much more of him than me.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed on Sterling as a great signing, he is a very underrated player whose movement will help your attack a lot. Especially if James stays fit to feed balls across to him. I do think you need more options in attack still if you are wanting to push the top two. Lukaku going is no loss, actually a plus even if it is only on loan.
I see Koulibaly as a downgrade on Rudiger, with a significant outlay to do so. Though you are correct that Rudiger is a very difficult player to replace, especially in your system. I know Koulibaly is highly rated, but he is a player who has always let me down when I have watched him. I have never rated Christensen, or considered him a player you could rely upon over a season, but you do seem to lack numbers in defence too. Especially with the talk of Colwill, which I struggle to get my head around. I realise his sale would raise capital in the short term, but in the long term it seems mental to me to even consider selling him, for so many reasons.

I guess what I was really getting at in my post was that I can see that there is a plan with how United are trying to approach the summer (whether that is a success or not is a different matter altogether). Chelsea's approach outside of Sterling seems much less organised, again from the outside looking in.
I think much of that is Chelsea has always been very hands off with the media when doing transfers while Roman owned the team. If anyone in the front office leaked anything, they were fired. Buck was asked about a transfer once during a Lampard presser and he leaned forward and said, I enjoy my job, so you will get nothing from me.

Boehly has been much more open about who he is talking to and it does give the appearance of hap hazard targeting for sure. I think even under our old system with Marina, she was calling and inquiring about players, it was just never talked about. I hope Boehly gets us through this window and then he is able to get a quality DoF to guide our transfers moving forward. After the two rollercoaster years of Lampard in charge and then Lukaku in the team, we Chelsea fans may require some prozac, hopefully smother days ahead.

Are we talking like this is a lot of money? Boehly deals with the Dodgers and the Lakers … these are all going to seem tiny sums to him. But he’s NOT Ed Woodward… with his “chartered accounting certificate” background. Boehly is a major player: Landon, William and Mary, London School of Economics … all in Finance. I promised he won’t be stumped by salary issues.
Who's we? I don't know nor care whether LSE alum (*gasp*) Boehly thinks a footballer's wage is a lot of money or not. Just trying to add to the discussion, seeing how it was stated Koulibaly would earn £162-183k at Chelsea, which, if the tax exemption is even half-way accurate, would mean he's taking a paycut? Can't see it, personally.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Who's we? I don't know nor care whether LSE alum (*gasp*) Boehly thinks a footballer's wage is a lot of money or not. Just trying to add to the discussion, seeing how it was stated Koulibaly would earn £162-183k at Chelsea, which, if the tax exemption is even half-way accurate, would mean he's taking a paycut? Can't see it, personally.
So why the longer contract for his financial future I assume. Rumour is Napoli president asked him about pay cut then only his agent started to talk with clubs.

All we had was some speculative sums regarding his salary.May be we paid lot because of our situation or changing philosophy in wages structure. One thing is clear,boehly wants to support our manager in this window.

We soon will appoint ceo and rumour is before January we will appoint sporting director as well. So we will see.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Well many fans want to see us fail. I find that many of our real fans are actually well aware of our situation. If we can maintain a top 3/4 position for the up coming season then it will be a successful one given the amount of restructuring forced upon us. It’s also nice to have lower expectations and hopefully the players can respond positively to that.

Now we can happily solidify and strengthen in the background whilst clubs like man Utd make considerable noise chasing players that aren’t interested in them.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well many fans want to see us fail. I find that many of our real fans are actually well aware of our situation. If we can maintain a top 3/4 position for the up coming season then it will be a successful one given the amount of restructuring forced upon us. It’s also nice to have lower expectations and hopefully the players can respond positively to that.

Now we can happily solidify and strengthen in the background whilst clubs like man Utd make considerable noise chasing players that aren’t interested in them.
:lol:

De Ligt, Raphinha, Richarlison, Dembele say hi!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

De Ligt, Raphinha, Richarlison, Dembele say hi!
Out of those 4, we bid for one. And yes, he chose Barca.

de Ligt no accepted bid from anyone
Dembele was never leaving Barca, i mean he has accepted less now than they offered 3 weeks ago apparently? and our club journos said all along there was no offer made
richarlison isn't a rejection when you enquire and get told he has signed for Spurs, is it?

Last edited:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…

Tuchel out, Poch in, before Christmas. Top5-6 campaign; remember these words.

GlasgowCeltic

I mean Chelsea clearly wanted Dembele and De Ligt but neither wanted them, wasn’t just Raphina

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean Chelsea clearly wanted Dembele and De Ligt but neither wanted them, wasn’t just Raphina
This entire back and forth is being had at a very pedantic level. Yes Chelsea wanted those players but those players preferred other clubs. It’s a weird tit for tat thing in here.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
This entire back and forth is being had at a very pedantic level. Yes Chelsea wanted those players but those players preferred other clubs. It’s a weird tit for tat thing in here.
It is. and on social media.

As far as im concerned so far, Sterling and KK is a good window, if a player wants to play for bayern or barcelona instead, crack on. Its understandable, theyre huge... Utd, Chelsea, City, Lpool will all get rejected. Facts

re. Dembele it was constantly reported by our club journos we hadn't offered him a thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.