Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Based on what?
Based on Koulibali and Kounde are not being an upgrade on Kristensen and Rudiger and the attack being pretty much “all fart and no shit”.

You still have time to make noticeable improvements though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Based on Koulibali and Kounde are not being an upgrade on Kristensen and Rudiger and the attack being pretty much “all fart and no shit”.
We had a ridiculous injury crisis, 5 tournaments to juggle and an unprecented owner crisis last time round and still made it.

You had your chance!

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

See, I think they’re both upgrades. And that poor attack you speak about scored over 100 goals in all comps last season which is one of the highest totals in our history. And we’ve already added one of the best wingers in the league.

We finished 16 points ahead of United last season with a goal difference advantage of +43. FORTY THREE. And yet loads of United supporters think you’re going to suddenly make that up and surge past us with a brand new manager and no stellar signings. It’s baffling to me.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Christensen was not difficult to replace. I doubt many people that don’t watch Chelsea would understand his nerves before a game and how many times he had to be scratched because his unsettled stomach. I get it that everyone wants to think their team is going to do better and their opponents are going to do bad.

I like our window so far. K2 has a lot left to give as well as Sterling. Neither one of them is the complete answer to defence and offence, but we are bringing in starting players that are high level starters.

Ekeke

Do you really believe this? :lol:

Rudiger was good in Chelsea's 3 at the back, but mainly stood out in terms of getting involved in passing play going forward. Although he was solid enough with 1 on 1 defending with his pace and power

Christensen is quite average.

Koulibaly whilst not as good as the huge hype is still one of the best CBs in Italy the past several years and Kounde is better both defending and attacking than Rudiger as he can be played in a 2 while Rudiger was with the 3. Quite a significant upgrade with a couple of the most high profile CBs available. Then theres Silva for the 3rd spot and Chalobah as cover. Cant get much stronger than that unless they signed VVD

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Christensen was not difficult to replace. I doubt many people that don’t watch Chelsea would understand his nerves before a game and how many times he had to be scratched because his unsettled stomach. I get it that everyone wants to think their team is going to do better and their opponents are going to do bad.

I like our window so far. K2 has a lot left to give as well as Sterling. Neither one of them is the complete answer to defence and offence, but we are bringing in starting players that are high level starters.
There is a question mark about K²'s ability to adapt to the league. I know KayKay had brilliant games for Napoli but the PL is a fair bit faster.
Double K will face better strikers than Giroud/Immobile and a struggling Vlahovic.

Pintu

There is a question mark about K²'s ability to adapt to the league. I know KayKay had brilliant games for Napoli but the PL is a fair bit faster.
Double K will face better strikers than Giroud/Immobile and a struggling Vlahovic.
What does this even mean? Do you genuinely think the average PL forward is quicker with the ball than Leao, Chiesa, and Lautaro?
KK is quicker than TS and the Brazilian despite coming from the french league didn't seem overwhelmed by the PL's pace.

The real difference in pace isn't about individual ability. The PL has more games played at the very highest intensity than Serie A... But when you've played 8 years for Napoli you've certainly been confronted with such intensity, both in Serie A and in European competitions on a regular enough basis to be able to adapt to the (more consistently intense) PL.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He will look absolutely fine in a back three, Tuchel knows this. It’s much easier to come in and learn the ropes with that protection and his experience.

You couldn’t really ask for anyone better than Thiago Silva to play alongside either in a new role!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What does this even mean? Do you genuinely think the average PL forward is quicker with the ball than Leao, Chiesa, and Lautaro?
KK is quicker than TS and the Brazilian despite coming from the french league didn't seem overwhelmed by the PL's pace.

The real difference in pace isn't about individual ability. The PL has more games played at the very highest intensity than Serie A... But when you've played 8 years for Napoli you've certainly been confronted with such intensity, both in Serie A and in European competitions on a regular enough basis to be able to adapt to the (more consistently intense) PL.
Ah that reminds me, take a look at these beauty's after Silva's debut (where he wasn't even that bad overall but had one admittedly shocking moment).

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thiago-silva-chelsea-player.457182/page-5

Funnily enough pace and intensity was mentioned in the very top post :lol:

Pintu

Ah that reminds me, take a look at these beauty's after Silva's debut (where he wasn't even that bad overall but had one admittedly shocking moment).

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thiago-silva-chelsea-player.457182/page-5

Funnily enough pace and intensity was mentioned in the very top post :lol:
Playing for Milan and then for PSG (playing the Champions League every season). Winning trophies for both and winning trophies for Brazil -captaining them- is apparently a huge risk compared to some PL-proven player for Burnley or Norwich.

A 36 years old who spent his whole career in Italy and France... Yeah, what could go wrong. And fair to say Chelsea's even worse than Pep in signing defensive players.

TheReligion

Abusive
See, I think they’re both upgrades. And that poor attack you speak about scored over 100 goals in all comps last season which is one of the highest totals in our history. And we’ve already added one of the best wingers in the league.

We finished 16 points ahead of United last season with a goal difference advantage of +43. FORTY THREE. And yet loads of United supporters think you’re going to suddenly make that up and surge past us with a brand new manager and no stellar signings. It’s baffling to me.
You see he didn’t mention United, he just raised his thoughts about Chelsea which you don’t agree with.

No need to try it make it the usual dick measuring competition is there?

You just don’t like any criticism full stop.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
No doubt there will always be question marks for people moving from another league.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

I think Chelsea will finish above United, but I think it's reasonable to suggest that United are not anywhere near as bad as last season makes out. They just completely imploded last season under a complete lack of leadership. Even if they made no signings, I think they can make massive improvements with just some good coaching. So that difference will balance out a little. As for Chelsea, they are certainly being proactive in the market. I think the biggest improvement from them will come from ditching Lukaku and going back to the false 9 formation that worked so well the season before. A front three of Mount, Sterling and Havertz is excellent, and goals will be spread around the team. They will have to be because there isn't an out and out scorer there. I expect Chelsea to be really consistent and solid this season, because they have an excellent squad and an excellent manager. I think they will fight Liverpool for 2nd place. I think United will be good enough to comfortably finish 4th.

I think that, rightly, the question marks are all about the defence. It's got to be disruptive to lose two CBs and field an almost completely new starting back line. It takes a minute for players to establish that familiarity. Kounde will be an excellent signing, as he is one of the best ball playing CBs in Europe at the moment. I think Koulibaly is much more of gamble. The fee and the wages for a player his age, is a bit of a risk. It's a statement signing, because he's had this perception of being an elite CB for a number of years, without making the move anywhere, but for me there are question marks. He's 31, moving from one of the slowest paced leagues in Europe, at a club where he was super comfortable, to a complete new set up, in the fastest paced league in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if he does well, but personally I expect him to struggle. Thiago Silva, who holds it all together, is another year older (will be 38 in a couple of months) - and it's inevitable that time will catch up to him. The question marks are all about the defence. A new season can always bring new highs, but also unexpected lows. I think Sterling is a solid signing, but there's also a reason City were so happy to let him go. He strikes me as a player whose best days have already passed, and when the pressure is really on, not the player you want that big chance falling to. The same affliction that affects Pulisic, and Werner.

Still, Chelsea will be good enough this year, no doubt about that.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why is Koulibaly being called K²? He has K in only 2 initials and the square route of 2 is 1.41

If K = 1 then K² is 1
If K = 2 then K² is 4.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Playing for Milan and then for PSG (playing the Champions League every season). Winning trophies for both and winning trophies for Brazil -captaining them- is apparently a huge risk compared to some PL-proven player for Burnley or Norwich.
The PL proven crap is out of control in all honesty. There's people around who genuinely believe peak Messi would have struggled in this league.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Why is Koulibaly being called K²? He has K in only 2 initials and the square route of 2 is 1.41

If K = 1 then K² is 1
If K = 2 then K² is 4.
Actually KK is in fact the same as K². But what is K?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Actually KK is in fact the same as K². But what is K?
Hang on. If K = Kalidou then KK or K² should be Kalidou*Kalidou. I'm not sure if this is right...

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
So the K² only really works is Kalidou is equal to Koulibaly. Which kind of makes sense because that is his name after all.

Pintu

If K = 1 then K² is 1
If K = 2 then K² is 4.
KK is short for K*K and K times K... And we know that K*K = K²

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
But having 2 variables expressed with the same letter doesn't really work, even if they are equal to eachother. It should really be:

Ka*Ko

If Ka=Ko

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Chelsea will finish above United, but I think it's reasonable to suggest that United are not anywhere near as bad as last season makes out. They just completely imploded last season under a complete lack of leadership.
I think it was the opposite, I think some of those players really struggled with the pressure of Ronaldo's presence, Maguire especially.

While they will improve on last season's horror show I'm not sure their squad profile is ready for a manager like ETH. Trying to force a specific stylistic manager on unsuitable players for said style never ends well, we tried it twice in the old guard era and it failed miserably and that was with genuine world class players.

I was very wary when his appointment was announced because I thought surely they would back a manager like this with the tools he needs but shockingly it appears it won't happen.

I feel they needed to slowly build to getting a manager like Ten Hag in over time. Slowly get a more progressive manager each time (while weeding out the players not good enough) then when you have the players suitable (or atleast more of a core than they currently do) then go.

Strangely enough Conte would have been a good option for that (and he may have forced a title race in the process) as he proved to be a good bridge for us between having managers like Rafa and Jose then going for possesion/high press managers like Sarri and Tuchel.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Hang on. If K = Kalidou then KK or K² should be Kalidou*Kalidou. I'm not sure if this is right...
You raise a very important question here. Your maths seem to add up so i must apologise for K².
What's your opinion on KayKay ? I came up with it and quite like it. It's kind of endearing. KK is a bit too risky, you're one letter away of something completely different.
KaKo is outrageous and the older fans will inevitably think of Kaka and get confused. The PL is a faster league than Serie A so we need something that works 100% of the time.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it was the opposite, I think some of those players really struggled with the pressure of Ronaldo's presence, Maguire especially.

While they will improve on last season's horror show I'm not sure their squad profile is ready for a manager like ETH. Trying to force a specific stylistic manager on unsuitable players for said style never ends well, we tried it twice in the old guard era and it failed miserably and that was with genuine world class players.

I was very wary when his appointment was announced because I thought surely they would back a manager like this with the tools he needs but shockingly it appears it won't happen.

I feel they needed to slowly build to getting a manager like Ten Hag in over time. Slowly get a more progressive manager each time (while weeding out the players not good enough) then when you have the players suitable (or atleast more of a core than they currently do) then go.

Strangely enough Conte would have been a good option for that (and he may have forced a title race in the process) as he proved to be a good bridge for us between having managers like Rafa and Jose then going for possesion/high press managers like Sarri and Tuchel.
I’m not sure how you don’t feel the club is backing Ten Hag? I’d argue they are doing exactly that in bringing in Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen and pursuing De Jong.

Not only that but the structural changes inside the club are being made in line with the direction it wants to take on the pitch. An obvious example is the appointment of Steve McClaren, in addition to Mitchel van der Gaag, which was at the direct request of Ten Hag.

We will see how the rest of the window pans out but to suggest the club are ‘shockingly’ not backing the new manager is really ill informed and factually incorrect.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
You raise a very important question here. Your maths seem to add up so i must apologise for K².
What's your opinion on KayKay ? I came up with it and quite like it. It's kind of endearing. KK is a bit too risky, you're one letter away of something completely different.
KaKo is outrageous and the older fans will inevitably think of Kaka and get confused. The PL is a faster league than Serie A so we need something that works 100% of the time.
Kako actually gives me Lukaku vibes. Not a good look for our new signing. Think this needs reimagining.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Essentially we want K² to be equal to K2 and KK. Therefore K=2. But I don't know what this has to do with Kalidou Koulibaly.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Gallagher just took perhaps the worst penalty I've ever seen to cost us the shootout :lol:

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Gallagher just took perhaps the worst penalty I've ever seen to cost us the shootout :lol:

He did a better job hiding the fix than those nigerians a few days ago. Good job Connor !

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
01.30 Sunday morning our game? Not sure I'll be able to stay awake for that.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Once again we see another club getting their business done while Waldorf and Statler are standing at a bus stop at which buses last stopped in about 1990...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Once again we see another club getting their business done while Waldorf and Statler are standing at a bus stop at which buses last stopped in about 1990...
Because of Kounde? The guy they chased like three years and still haven't signed?

Or Koulibaly?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Because of Kounde? The guy they chased like three years and still haven't signed?

Or Koulibaly?
The guy is a WUM. He said Martinez deal is not done yet because we haven't officially signed him but somehow says Chelsea got their business done when it's so far from done and they might get Barcaed again.

TheReligion

Abusive
How have Chelsea lined up in pre season? I know there’s been much talk about the lack of CF but is there early signs this needs to be looked at by the lack of goals so far?

Not seen the games so just curious and interested to see if Tuchel will look at a goal scorer or stick with Kai as 9.

I suspect it’s difficult as you’re essentially trying to find someone who is happy on the bench.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

If K = 1 then K² is 1
If K = 2 then K² is 4.
Isn't it simply because he is known as a man mountain and he has 2 K's for his initials?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
How have Chelsea lined up in pre season? I know there’s been much talk about the lack of CF but is there early signs this needs to be looked at by the lack of goals so far?

Not seen the games so just curious and interested to see if Tuchel will look at a goal scorer or stick with Kai as 9.

I suspect it’s difficult as you’re essentially trying to find someone who is happy on the bench.
Against Club America the first half front three was CHO, Havertz, Ziyech and second half Werner, Batshuayi, Pulisic.

Last night against Charlotte first half Pulisic, Batshuayi, Ziyech and second half Sterling, Havertz, Mount.

Haven't seen any of the games either because the kick-off times have been so late at night and I've had work in the mornings but looking at the line-ups there has only been a total of 45 minutes played with the new 'preferred' front three of Sterling-Havertz-Mount so at the moment impossible to say whether there will be problems or not. Based on the fact a deadwood player like Michy Batshuayi is getting any minutes in these pre-season games I'd say it's definitely not an ideal situation up front. Would've like to see Broja given a chance in these friendlies before making any decisions on his future but he ended up getting injured.

Still a few training matches left and the window will stay open three more weeks even after the PL season has started so there is still the possibility of seeing some more incoming players in attack, especially if there are any outgoing transfers. Been plenty of talk about Ziyech leaving so if that happens surely he'll have to be replaced somehow. Lately the priority has been sorting out the CB situation so maybe when that's done we'll know more.

Shinjch

Kounde will be a good signing when they get him over the line. The sort of profile of player any club should be looking at I think, ready to make the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.